HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shutouts all around- Habs beat Canes 6-0

Old
09-21-2013, 10:21 AM
Habsfan18

vCash: 500
I've been saying for awhile now that I can see Tokarski being our full-time backup one day. Glad he had a solid showing last night.

Tokarski > Mayer and it's painfully obvious. Hopefully the organization realizes this.

09-21-2013, 10:24 AM
Grant McCagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Come on, Komisarek LOOKED good when Markov was at his side. Now we know who really pulled the weight around, but I can understand why many would have tought Komisarek was the prime shutdown and Markov the risky PMD.

Kind of think the Subban-Gill pairing in the late season of 2010-2011. People said Gill covered Subban's ass, that he was the reliable defensive anchor to Subban's risky plays. You'd think people would have learned, after Markov, eh?
Anyone who watched the Habs closely in Komo's final season there knew damn well that the decline was already in full bloom, and that Markov was the better player by far.

I've been encouraged by the Hab prospects closest to making the team - Pateryn, Tinordi, Holland, Bournival, and Leblanc. All five of them look like they could be playing in the NHL and not look out of place. I've also liked what Dietz has brought, and Thomas has shown flashes...there's certainly offensive upside to his game, and he'll produce in Hamilton.

I expect the Dogs to be a playoff team this year if the goaltending holds up. Tokarski's looked half decent.

Grant McCagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 10:27 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
I've been saying for awhile now that I can see Tokarski being our full-time backup one day. Glad he had a solid showing last night.

Tokarski > Mayer and it's painfully obvious. Hopefully the organization realizes this.
Should take another full year to realize it I guess....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 10:28 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Out of anyone auditioning for Gionta's spot until he returns.. I'd put Bournival there. He's shown some finishing abilities, his speed on the wing with Bourque can cause havoc and he has enough knowledge of the two-way game to be able to play with Plekanec in that two-way second line mold.

He's flat out earned a look and why not try him there? Thomas isn't there yet and was disappointing to me. Collberg needs a lot more seasoning and obviously Big Mac is going back to London.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 10:32 AM
Dagistitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Out of anyone auditioning for Gionta's spot until he returns.. I'd put Bournival there. He's shown some finishing abilities, his speed on the wing with Bourque can cause havoc and he has enough knowledge of the two-way game to be able to play with Plekanec in that two-way second line mold.

He's flat out earned a look and why not try him there? Thomas isn't there yet and was disappointing to me. Collberg needs a lot more seasoning and obviously Big Mac is going back to London.
Agreed. I really hope Bournival gets the spot. He is the best possible fit to play with Pleks and Bourque.

Dagistitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 10:34 AM
dreamingofdrouin*

Is there a somewhere I can watch this one?

dreamingofdrouin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 10:39 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
DD didn't won his battle one-on-one. But his opponent didn't either. He lost the puck, but his coverer did not went away with the puck clean. The puck was recovered by a SECOND Cane player, their centre I believe, who then fumbled in clearing it away from their zone.

Had DD really lost this battle, the D would have recovered the puck solo, he would have passed it to the centre much higher in his zone, and he would have had more transition options.
The guy checking DD could have taken the puck if he wanted/had to. DD was flat on the ice, and he was still on his. He let the other guy take the puck because he was right there and facing up ice, but the other guy turned it over.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 10:39 AM
Dagistitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingofdrouin View Post
Is there a somewhere I can watch this one?
There will be a stream posted, has been for every game.

I had no idea we played Carolina again today until you posted this.

I really hope it's another blowout

Hopefully Scary Price has a good game..

Old
09-21-2013, 10:40 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Tokarski > Mayer and it's painfully obvious.
Agreed.

Old
09-21-2013, 10:41 AM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
Just finished catching up to the game (I was working till 9:30).

Well my first thought is that the Hurricanes are in for a long season if Cam Ward keeps being this shaky and their defense doesn't get their **** together. They're slow, they're soft on the puck and they keep turning it over (Komisarek LOL). They'd make Michel Therrien's defensive squad of 2003-2004 proud...

Random notes:

* Desharnais was flying out there tonight. He was showing some nice vision with quick passes and even showed some nice dangles (including a nice toe drag in the third).Smart play to throw it on net on his goal. He wasn't pushed around either. If he plays like that every night I will shut up. But let's pretend that facing a team like the Hurricanes is not ideal for a player like DD, they don't hit and they don't have the most mobile group...

* Pacioretty was playing the white, uh I mean right way. He was aggressive on the puck, was forechecking a lot, showed his speed (and drove to the net most importantly), was shooting the puck and was winning his battles in the corners.

* Bournival was a monster again, he was Darren Helm-lite. He was finishing his checks, he was beating defender to the puck every time and he was getting pucks to the net. Him and Holland showed nice chemistry tonight and it showed that they played a lot last year in Hamilton. Most pleasant surprise so far in the camp.

* Dumont, most noticeable he's been during training camp. I wish he'd take a page from Bournival's book and be more physical though. He made some really smart plays in the offensive zone but he was pretty unlucky tonight. He got robbed by Ward after he tried burying a rebound caused by a Dietz shot. He also set up Tarnasky for a chance alone in front of the goalie but he pulled an Armstrong and missed the puck.

* Tarnasky, is this year's Stortini for the Bulldogs I know Westgarth is no easy customer but come on, he got embarassed there.

* Dietz, was pretty solid. Showed some nice wristers.

* Nygren, didn't do anything stupid in his own end, seems more physical than Diaz. Made an amazing saucer pass to Prust on the Galchenyuk's goal.

* Galchenyuk, pretty quiet but solid night for him. Was winning faceoffs and was imposing himself physically.

* Holland, does the little plays right defensively (wasted time on the PK or blocks shots). Was forcing his passes a bit too much in the first period when he kept doing passes to nobody from his own end. Picked the pace though and had some nice set ups including a nice give and go with Bournival that created a goal. Also made a nice pass to McCarron who hit the post. Has to work badly on his faceoffs though.

* McCarron, nice drive to the net on his chance that hit the post. Had a pretty quiet night. It's pretty obvious for a kid of his age but he has to get more balance/muscle because he was having difficulty knocking over Dalpe and Palushaj in the first.

* Tinordi, quiet night for him, was himself.

* I paid close attention to Pateryn this game because I feel I haven't had a proper evaluation of his game yet. He had an on and off game but I think more bad outweighted the good he did. I paid close attention to him this game because I feel I haven't had a proper evaluation of his game yet. He showed nice awareness on the goal he scored, he kept the puck in and came in at the right time for a one timer that went over Ward's blocker. He also had another decent one timer that went to the net later during the game. He made a good play when Tinordi had no stick to block the passing lane and intercept/clear his zone but moments later a Hurricane deked around him and got a good scoring chance, right after that he pulled a Campoli and ****ed up on his clearance that resulted in more time spent in their own end instead of being able to switch the unit. He had a solid hit on Ruutu in the offensive zone. He lost a battle behind the net and fell which resulted in a good chance for Carolina. He had a bad turnover that resulted in an interception and an odd man rush for Carolina. He did a bad giveaway in the Neutral Zone on a breakout pass that was intercepted which resulted in another odd man rush and he followed the man coming down the wing instead of paying attention to the forward breaking in for a pass in front of the net. Not the best game defensively for a guy who's supposed to be solid in his own end.

* Thomas, tried to be too nice with the puck which resulted in many turnovers. Showed some nice hands but couldn't get a shot off everytime. He did make one nice pass to Nygren on the PP who fanned for the one timer.

* Collberg, had a good shot on Desharnais' goal but that's about it.

I would cut: Thomas, Collberg, McCarron, Tarnasky, St-Pierre, Dietz and Nygren for the next wave of cuts.

Hope some of you appreciated my observations.
Good comments and I would agree with most of them as well as with the cuts you suggested. Overall, I like our young defense prospects but as others have said, Carolina didn't test them too much.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 10:43 AM
Dagistitsyn

Pleks, Bourque and Markov are playing today. First game for all of them I think? My memory isn't the greatest.

Tinordi in AGAIN. Has he played every game?

Old
09-21-2013, 10:49 AM
HTTP 400

vCash: 3601
Quote:
DD didn't won his battle one-on-one. But his opponent didn't either. He lost the puck, but his coverer did not went away with the puck clean. The puck was recovered by a SECOND Cane player, their centre I believe, who then fumbled in clearing it away from their zone.

Had DD really lost this battle, the D would have recovered the puck solo, he would have passed it to the centre much higher in his zone, and he would have had more transition options.
Exactly. DD didn't loose a one-on-one battle, he lose a one-on-two battle.

Geeze, some posters are trying way too hard!

HTTP 400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 10:54 AM
Moen is Gone
@MoeninGlory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagistitsyn View Post
Pleks, Bourque and Markov are playing today. First game for all of them I think? My memory isn't the greatest.

Tinordi in AGAIN. Has he played every game?
Yes, first game for Plekanec, Bourque and Markov. And Tinordi played all games so far.

Moen is Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 10:57 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
The guy checking DD could have taken the puck if he wanted/had to. DD was flat on the ice, and he was still on his. He let the other guy take the puck because he was right there and facing up ice, but the other guy turned it over.
If we're talking about the first goal, DD lost the battle clean. It made me chuckle when Denis was giving DD credit for the goal.

Every year I get more and more amazed by the failure of the RDS squad to properly evaluate situations or players.

Even the turnover was not forced by DD, but by MaxPac, if you even want to say that it was forced. Pateryn intercepts an awful clearing attempt, moves it to MaxPac that controls it well despite his coverage, pretty much brings it to DD who's waiting alone on the side, who then easily slides it to Pateryn for a one timer. After all of this, Ward also should have made the save.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 11:02 AM
Charon

After watching the game, a few notes on particular players.

DD played a very good game - the game I expect him to play. I hope he keeps it up into the season.

Pateryn looks pretty good. He needs to keep his focus up a bit to prevent turnovers in his own end, but he's more or less solid in his own end and he's getting close to ready for the NHL.

Thomas doesn't seem too special. He has some skill, but he's not fast enough to be dangerous out there and it seems he doesn't know how to use his linemates. I'm not a fan at this point. He just doesn't make anything happen.

Bournival was great. The question for me is whether he can be a consistent threat offensively at the NHL level. I can see him as a regular third liner in the future, maybe near future.

Nygren can pass the puck. But I would be careful about praising him if a guy doesn't like Diaz. They're similar players.

Collberg was ok. I personally don't understand the huge praise for Collberg based on his performance so far this preseason. Yes, he's an exciting prospect, but he hasn't shown me much this preseason. He's flashy, and I think he'll be good in the future, but right now he's making maybe just a bit more of an impact on the game than Thomas, who is unimpressive himself.

Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 11:05 AM
dreamingofdrouin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagistitsyn View Post
There will be a stream posted, has been for every game.

I had no idea we played Carolina again today until you posted this.

I really hope it's another blowout

Hopefully Scary Price has a good game..

No, I mean last nights game. is that archived anywhere....anybody happen to record it?

dreamingofdrouin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 11:09 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTTP 400 Bad Request View Post

When DD gets pancaked, everyone else including the guy who recovered the puck (who barely received a kiss from Pacioretty as he glided by with one hand on his stick) is almost the full faceoff circle away, lol!

Old
09-21-2013, 11:11 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Glad to see Holland and Bournival being more involved physically, that bodes well for their future if they continue to improve that part of their game.

Didn't think Thomas played well and I thought Collberg was ok. Gota love McCarron continues to go to the net hard consistently.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 11:34 AM
Milhouse40

Quote:

]Had DD really lost this battle, the D would have recovered the puck solo, he would have passed it to the centre much higher in his zone, and he would have had more transition options.
Cane's D was PLAYING THE MAN
Desharnais was PLAYING THE PUCK

Cane's D take the man out
DD looses the puck

Plain and simple.....DD failed to do the play he was looking for and Canes D succeed at the play he was looking for. Clean 1 on 1 battle lost here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Exactly...some should know the difference between playing the man and playing the puck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTTP 400 Bad Request View Post

And some should try a little bit more....

Cause i can show many you many exemple of 2 on 1 battle...but this was a clear one on one battle. The other guys is like 10 feet away from the play.

Milhouse40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 12:02 PM
Aspirine
Lateral Move at Best

Dat Nygren stretch pass! I was in awe!

Aspirine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 12:20 PM
Dekar

I'm loving how Patrick Holland has risen from a 7th round draft pick to a potential bottom-9 NHLer, or at least a solid AHL roster player. The guy's hockey IQ is out of this world. If he can apply a solid work ethic to his training by bulking up a bit and learning to adjust to that, he'll truly be a diamond in the rough.

EDIT: And for the love of god, it's Gorges. Gorges. Gorges. Gorges. I mean, come on. He's been here 7 ****ing years.

Last edited by Dekar: 09-21-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Dekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 12:25 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankc View Post
IMO Collberg was quite impressive tonight. I am of course expecting bigger things from him but considering that he's not used to North America rink size, I though he did play good and was not afraid of going in the traffic and battle for the puck in the corners. I believe he'll be a very good player for us in 1 or 2 seasons.

I was not impressed by Thomas, guy reminds me of Cammalleri, always looking for a shot even when it's not a good time for shooting.. ie on a powerplay when he got in the zone and shot directly on the goaler, puck when out of the zone and Habs never been able to setup in offensive zone. He's not really good in defense also.

I was impressed by the play of Dietz, Pateryn, Holland, Bournival, Nygren and McCaron (considering he's 18). Also the defensive awareness of Galchenyuk.

Should be cut : Tarnasky & Blunden. And Dumont need to wake up or he'll be sent back to Hamilton as well.

Not impress by Georges either..
Agree with everything you said!

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 12:44 PM
Bryson

Of course I miss the game where they score 6 goals. Any highlights?

Bryson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 12:47 PM
dunner

Its funny how even when DD plays a great game and the haters will hate. Sure the battle your arguing over he lost but he also won more than he lost that are not on video. He has his weakness your not going to change him he is 5 "7" winning down low is not going to be his skill. Other players have weaknesses that are just as easy to see but no one talks about. Our best scoring forward Patches can't be a set up man he is flat out poor at it but no one cares. They compliment each other very well.

dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 12:48 PM
Bloumeister
RIP Jean Béliveau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moen in Glory View Post
Yes, first game for Plekanec, Bourque and Markov. And Tinordi played all games so far.
Obvious MiG is obvious

Bloumeister is offline   Reply With Quote