HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matt Read signs extension (4 years, $3.625M AAV)

Old
09-21-2013, 01:03 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
Wow. What a deal. Way under what he could of got as a ufa.
Seriously though...all things considered and recent contract offers taken into account, if Read had a healthy season at his current capabilities stagnated, he could have possibly pulled 5.00m/year.

He seems to love Philly, and I'm glad he took that kind of a contract to stay here. Haters will always hate though.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 01:03 AM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS View Post
2013-14 (Not perfect, but close to how I assume we will look.)
Hartnell (4.75) - Giroux (3.75) - Voracek (4.25)
Simmonds (3.98) - Lecavalier (4.50) - Schenn (0.90)
Raffl (0.79) - Couturier (0.93) - Read (0.90)
Rinaldo (0.75) - Laughton (0.93) - Talbot (1.75)
Rosehill (0.68) - Hall (0.60)

Timonen (6.00) - Coburn (4.50)
Streit (5.25) - Schenn (3.60)
Grossmann (3.50) - Meszaros (4.00)
Gustafsson (1.00) - Gervais (0.83)

Emery (1.65)
Mason (1.50)

CAP CHARGE: 61.29~
SALARY CAP: 64.30
CAP SPACE: 03.01~

2014-15
Hartnell (4.75) - Giroux (8.28) - Voracek (4.25)
Simmonds (3.98) - Lecavalier (4.50) - Schenn (TBD)
xxxxxxxxxx (TBD) - Couturier (1.75) - Read (3.63)
Rinaldo (0.75) - Laughton (0.93) - Talbot (1.75)
Rosehill (0.68)

Streit (5.25) - Schenn (3.60)
Gustafsson (TBD) - Coburn (4.50)
xxxxxxxxxx (TBD) - Grossmann (3.50)
xxxxxxxxxx (TBD)

Emery (TBD)
Mason (TBD)

CAP CHARGE: 52.10~
SALARY CAP: 64.30+
CAP SPACE: 12.20+
The Flyers are in cap hell. This contract will be horrible in 3 years. What is Holmgren thinking - worst GM in the league.

Warmly,

Pens/Oilers fan

all kidding aside that 14-15 team will have Morin on the 2nd pairing, Timonen will play another season and be on the 3rd pairing with some PP time IMO. The downside is I don't see this team being a contender with a guy like Streit playing 1st pairing (or Timonen for that matter)

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 01:26 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
excellent cap hit and term. I am surprised to be honest that this got done. really figured he would be the odd man out. ie. cap casualty. good work by everyone involved.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 02:01 AM
dats81

That deal will even look better two or three years from now when the cap has gone up by a significant margin.

Well done Homer!

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 02:12 AM
OzFlyer
Registered Boozer

This has made my day!

OzFlyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 04:36 AM
tade

awesome deal, love it

tade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 07:25 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

edit: I like this signing.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 07:57 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0otnSc0re View Post
BOOOOOOOM.

I've been saying it all along.
This.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 08:19 AM
MRxBLACK
ESPN Sucks

This is great news to wake up to on a Saturday. Homer sure is good at locking up his OWN guys.

MRxBLACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 08:20 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Thank God Hextall is here!

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 08:36 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Thank God Hextall is here!
I heard Homer wanted to give him 7 million a year with a full NMC. Well... Hextall would have none of it. He walked in the room, slapped Homer, stole his phone, talked to Matt for two minutes, and here we are.

All hail the GM'ing ability of the great Ron.

No but seriously, Read probably really likes Homer considering he gave him his shot in the NHL.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 09:06 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
I heard Homer wanted to give him 7 million a year with a full NMC. Well... Hextall would have none of it. He walked in the room, slapped Homer, stole his phone, talked to Matt for two minutes, and here we are.

All hail the GM'ing ability of the great Ron.

No but seriously, Read probably really likes Homer considering he gave him his shot in the NHL.
ya, anyways...

Homer has always been pretty good when it comes to re-signing our own free agents

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 09:31 AM
Prongo
Beer

This is a great deal. Great term, Read won't be ancient by the time it ends, and he is an extremely productive, versatile player. I would love to see a comparison of other players around the league who are about to hit UFA with a deal, and see what type of money they got. If I didn't have work I would probably try to go through and find comparable players.

Read for 3.625 million while giving you 50 points plus averaging over 18 mins per game(2nd on the team) is an awesome contract. Homer got this one right, big time.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 09:44 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5602
As I said, usually when it's out there that there's talk, for the Flyers, the deal is not far off.

That said, hold off on making your lines for next year. We all know that that exercise is fruitless. Someone's going to go because Laughton either needs a spot on the team or traded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post
The Flyers are in cap hell. This contract will be horrible in 3 years. What is Holmgren thinking - worst GM in the league.

Warmly,

Pens/Oilers fan

all kidding aside that 14-15 team will have Morin on the 2nd pairing, Timonen will play another season and be on the 3rd pairing with some PP time IMO. The downside is I don't see this team being a contender with a guy like Streit playing 1st pairing (or Timonen for that matter)
I don't think Timonen is coming back to play 13 minutes a game. Morin is still going to have to win a spot on the team

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 10:02 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
That said, hold off on making your lines for next year. We all know that that exercise is fruitless. Someone's going to go because Laughton either needs a spot on the team or traded.
I don't know. I think the organization is going to slow down development from here on out. Morin and Laughton, much to the dismay of many around here, might spend more time playing elsewhere than Philadelphia despite being ready.

Laughton may not be put into a top 9 role until Lecavalier is on his way out or moved to wing.

Lecavalier will be 36 at the end of his deal.

Laughton will be 22.

Maybe something like...

2013-14: Laughton (OHL)
2014-15: Laughton (AHL)
2015-16: Laughton (4th line center)
2016-17: Laughton (3rd line center/Lecavalier to wing or retire)

I mean that's a little extreme, but possibly how things could go.

As for Morin, despite his awesome summer, he could theoretically be 4 years out as well. Throw Hagg and Gostisbehere into the same boat.

4 years is the max I'll put on these guys, but as a whole, we seem to be taking a more developmental approach to these guys.

Our team is so good on paper right now, that that move makes sense really.

Last edited by CS: 09-21-2013 at 10:09 AM.
Old
09-21-2013, 10:09 AM
TheKingPin

Any reason schenn hasn't been signed? Got couts and read to great contract, would love to have schenn signed to a four year 3.5 deal if possible because he is going to explode with simmer and vinny.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 10:11 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
Any reason schenn hasn't been signed? Got couts and read to great contract, would love to have schenn signed to a four year 3.5 deal if possible because he is going to explode with simmer and vinny.
This is a wait and see year for Schenn.

His agent probably wants to see how far Schenn can go with this season since he's had a breakout season right on the tip of his stick for a while now.

Either way, considering the bridge contracts floating about the league, I'm not too concerned with his number.

I feel like Giroux's bridge contract set the market price for forward bridge contracts. You don't see other younger guys going over that mark anymore; most notably Kadri.

Old
09-21-2013, 10:22 AM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS View Post
This is a wait and see year for Schenn.

His agent probably wants to see how far Schenn can go with this season since he's had a breakout season right on the tip of his stick for a while now.

Either way, considering the bridge contracts floating about the league, I'm not too concerned with his number.

I feel like Giroux's bridge contract set the market price for forward bridge contracts. You don't see other younger guys going over that mark anymore; most notably Kadri.
Yea true. I think his max this year still won't price him too high. Always just a little scared when a young player is unsigned and may have a crazy good year.

Really liking our fwds and their cap hits. We are in great position there for some time. Just need at least the goalies to workout and hopefully we have enough pieces on D.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 12:39 PM
Qyburn

To be honest I'm getting a little tired of hearing how he's a do everything type of player. He can play on the PP and SH. Yes, it's true that he can, but he's just barely and infrequently used for those things. And we have to hear about it every. single. time he's brought up. Truth is it's always half on-the-second unit and half off-either-unit. I agree it's a nice versatility to have, and I might be reading too much into it but it leads to slight over-hyping imo.

Qyburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 12:52 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymed View Post

And then there was Schenn.....
Get him done Homer!!!

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 01:04 PM
healthyscratch

Awesome sauce. I would have been furious if he wasn't re-signed. Nice work Homer.

Quote:
“I'm pretty excited, very happy and pretty relieved,” said Read. “It's been an ongoing process, but I'm very happy about it. My first two years have been overwhelming for me. Its crazy that I'm even playing in the NHL, but to get this second contract with this organization is a dream come true. I couldn't be with a better organization and I'm thrilled to be here for a few more years.”

eta: Thank you for not showing up, Dan Cleary, you helped make this possible!

Last edited by healthyscratch: 09-21-2013 at 01:30 PM.
healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 01:08 PM
flyersfan28

how manny point you think read score this years ?
for me 28goal 60point

flyersfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 01:13 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qyburn View Post
To be honest I'm getting a little tired of hearing how he's a do everything type of player. He can play on the PP and SH. Yes, it's true that he can, but he's just barely and infrequently used for those things. And we have to hear about it every. single. time he's brought up. Truth is it's always half on-the-second unit and half off-either-unit. I agree it's a nice versatility to have, and I might be reading too much into it but it leads to slight over-hyping imo.
What? Read is a mainstay on the second unit unless there is an injury or something pushing him up. He's also among the leaders in sh toi/g, in fact he had more then G last year in that category. Add to that that he was second on the team in es toi/g behind only Giroux as well as toi/g again behind only Giroux. I don't know what you've been watching but Read is a not over-hyped by most, if anything he's under appreciated (by fans who don't follow the Flyers).

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan28 View Post
how manny point you think read score this years ?
for me 28goal 60point
I think he'll stay around the 25-25, 50 point mark.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 01:13 PM
bennysflyers16

Im shocked that we kept Read for undr 4 mill, i thought he was gone for sure as he could of got close to 5 mill as a ufa this summer. This is freaking awesome , huge props to all involved.

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 01:32 PM
Stizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qyburn View Post
I have to disagree with you. He always takes a shift during a full PK and has performed quite well. He also is always on the 2nd PP unit, which has not flourished, but I don't think that has been his fault. Obviously our 1st PP unit has been quite dominant, and gets every second of ice-time possible. I do expect the 2nd PP unit to drastically improve this season with Streit and Vinny added.

Stizzle is offline   Reply With Quote