HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

What's going on with DUNCAN MILROY?!

Old
11-21-2006, 07:59 PM
TheHoser

vCash: 500
What's going on with DUNCAN MILROY?!

Duncan Milroy was a prolific scorer in the WHL, but he's never been able to bring that kind of scoring to any form of professional league, and his time is basically running out as a prospect... But he's been having a hell of a season... A hattrick tonight (so far) has given him 9 goals and 15 points in 15 games, very solid... Could he have re-discovered his scoring touch?

TheHoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 08:01 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHoser View Post
Duncan Milroy was a prolific scorer in the WHL, but he's never been able to bring that kind of scoring to any form of professional league, and his time is basically running out as a prospect... But he's been having a hell of a season... A hattrick tonight (so far) has given him 9 goals and 15 points in 15 games, very solid... Could he have re-discovered his scoring touch?
He is being counted on as the man this year because of youth on the team, he could be a Ryder part Deux!

I think he could be a decent 3rd liner with some scoring ability in the future.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 08:09 PM
Louis Houde

Send a message via MSN to Louis Houde
Well, I gave all my hope on Milroy. He is now rated as a 3.5C player here.

Louis Houde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 09:06 PM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldat Samsonov View Post
Well, I gave all my hope on Milroy. He is now rated as a 3.5C player here.
There's still hope but I agree his chance are slim...

What I liked about him was the he was supposedly like the clutchest guy out there... I would have love to have a bottom liner that is known to score the Oh! Oh! goal.

Goodluck Duncan.

CoupeStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 09:13 PM
Shabutie

Ryder was 22 when he broke out in the AHL...So who knows. Milroy has an outsiders chance to being our next Ryder...But more importantly D'Agositini has an outsiders change at becoming our next Higgins

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 09:55 PM
greatlakeshab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Ryder was 22 when he broke out in the AHL...So who knows. Milroy has an outsiders chance to being our next Ryder...But more importantly D'Agositini has an outsiders change at becoming our next Higgins
Price becomes Roy

greatlakeshab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 10:08 PM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
Fischer becomes Robinson

CoupeStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 10:10 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Locke becomes Ribeiro

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 10:34 PM
greatlakeshab

Obyrne becomes Serge Savard.

Old
11-21-2006, 10:35 PM
greatlakeshab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
Locke becomes Ribeiro
This is the best you can do? Locke becomes the Pocket Rocket is better

Old
11-21-2006, 10:41 PM
Shabutie

Kovalev becomes useful

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 10:42 PM
Kenny Powders

Patrick Traverse becomes Lyle Odelein

Kenny Powders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 10:52 PM
greatlakeshab

Mikhail Grabovsky becomes Mats Naslund.

Old
11-21-2006, 11:31 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHoser View Post
one thing about milroy is that he's been a slow developer at every level he's played

Maybe by the time he's 31 years old, he will be a decent NHLer

In all seriousness, I was very high on milroy when he was drafted. He and Stoll were monsters in Kootenay as juniors.......I thought those two guys were sure fire NHLers.... it just hasn't translated to the NHL for Milroy

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 11:36 PM
Strong and Free

I like Milroy, but even with his hat trick tonight he was not that noticeable for most of the game. I feel bad saying it but I think he will be a career AHL'er.

I was most impressed with Lapierre and the big man O'Byrne. I think O'Byrne has the potential to be a monster in the NHL. He skated very well tonight and showed that he is not afraid to take the body.

Strong and Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 03:55 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong and Free View Post
I like Milroy, but even with his hat trick tonight he was not that noticeable for most of the game. I feel bad saying it but I think he will be a career AHL'er.

I was most impressed with Lapierre and the big man O'Byrne. I think O'Byrne has the potential to be a monster in the NHL. He skated very well tonight and showed that he is not afraid to take the body.
Thanks for your opinions...
Also, just curious...? What is the upside of Lapierre? faster/better skater/poor man's version of Claude Lemieux? Some Ian Laperriere? Some Martin Lapointe? Am I way off, or close? Lapierre is supposed to be a REAL WINNER...you win with guys like Lapierre...

O'Byrne...something IN BETWEEN a (bigger) Rivet and a Komisarek?

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 06:53 AM
Strong and Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Also, just curious...? What is the upside of Lapierre? faster/better skater/poor man's version of Claude Lemieux? Some Ian Laperriere? Some Martin Lapointe? Am I way off, or close? Lapierre is supposed to be a REAL WINNER...you win with guys like Lapierre...

Not sure who I would compare either to. Lapierre is a coaches dream, he works hard from start to finish and never seems to give up on a play whether it be in our end, their end, or the neutral zone. He is a treat to watch. I am not sure if he will put up big points or not, but he will definitely lead by example and make everyone he plays with better.

O'Byrne in my opinion has a very high ceiling, and not just because he is tall and would bump his head otherwise. His improvement from the rookie tourny in September, to the 2 games I have watched him in recently, has been amazing. In the rookie tourny he looked huge but didn't necessarily play his position well and looked to need some work on skating. Although in last nights game he was caught out of position a few times, and did look a little mythotical, it was obvious to me the kid is starting to get it. He worked hard and his skating has vastly improved. I will not be surprised to see him in the rouge, bleu, et blanc next season.

Strong and Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 06:53 AM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Kovalev becomes useful
Easy now. I know we are all dreaming here, but this is totally beyond all limits!

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 10:06 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Lapierre may be a faster-bigger version of a Steve Begin, maybe? I don't see any real scoring touch coming there for him, no matter what his totals might suggest in the AHL so far this year, but he keeps moving. The only quasi-knock on him that I've seen is his propensity for taking unnecessary penalties. It's only a "quasi-knock" because a chippy/yappy guy like that, he'll take a few just playing his game his way trying to get under the opponents' skin. But at the NHL level, he'll have to be a bit more careful about choosing his spots sometimes IMO. Perhaps he's already doing better in that regard this season anyway (I've only seen 2 Bulldogs games thus far).
Quote:
If he reaches where Komisarek is right now, I'll be really happy. That'd be great! It's hard to project, though. Hopefully Komisarek is a moving target himself. Watching either of them in college would make you think there's some offensive upside to them. I'm less sure that there's too much more coming from Komisarek in that regard now, however. So even though I liked the tantalizing glimpses of puck-carrying and shooting from O'Byrne last year in particular with the Cornell games I saw on CSTV, I'm not going to necessarily hold my breath that it ever comes in the NHL. If he can eventually be what Komisarek is now (rock, #3/4 guy, no real offensive impact), then I'll take that and run. Anything else would be pure bonus IMHO.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2006, 08:08 PM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong and Free View Post
Not sure who I would compare either to. Lapierre is a coaches dream, he works hard from start to finish and never seems to give up on a play whether it be in our end, their end, or the neutral zone. He is a treat to watch. I am not sure if he will put up big points or not, but he will definitely lead by example and make everyone he plays with better.

O'Byrne in my opinion has a very high ceiling, and not just because he is tall and would bump his head otherwise. His improvement from the rookie tourny in September, to the 2 games I have watched him in recently, has been amazing. In the rookie tourny he looked huge but didn't necessarily play his position well and looked to need some work on skating. Although in last nights game he was caught out of position a few times, and did look a little mythotical, it was obvious to me the kid is starting to get it. He worked hard and his skating has vastly improved. I will not be surprised to see him in the rouge, bleu, et blanc next season.
Sounds like Lapierre could end up being a grittier version of Mike Johnson (which would be awesome...can't have enough of those "team first, all heart" players).

O'Byrne...sounds like he'll one day be (at worst, I hope!) a solid #5-6 DEFENSIVE defenceman one day...& if he continues improving then maybe a solid #3-4...
I'm hoping for a bigger version of Rivet...
So, great news about O'Byrne (good stuff). I've seen Lapierre play for Bulldogs, but I haven't seen O'Byrne play yet, so thanks for the info. Or, the one time I've seen the Bulldogs play this season I paid more attention to Chipchura, Lapierre and Kostitsyn!! Next time I have a chance I'll also focus on the Big O'Byrne!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Lapierre may be a faster-bigger version of a Steve Begin, maybe? I don't see any real scoring touch coming there for him, no matter what his totals might suggest in the AHL so far this year, but he keeps moving. The only quasi-knock on him that I've seen is his propensity for taking unnecessary penalties. It's only a "quasi-knock" because a chippy/yappy guy like that, he'll take a few just playing his game his way trying to get under the opponents' skin. But at the NHL level, he'll have to be a bit more careful about choosing his spots sometimes IMO. Perhaps he's already doing better in that regard this season anyway (I've only seen 2 Bulldogs games thus far).
If he reaches where Komisarek is right now, I'll be really happy. That'd be great! It's hard to project, though. Hopefully Komisarek is a moving target himself. Watching either of them in college would make you think there's some offensive upside to them. I'm less sure that there's too much more coming from Komisarek in that regard now, however. So even though I liked the tantalizing glimpses of puck-carrying and shooting from O'Byrne last year in particular with the Cornell games I saw on CSTV, I'm not going to necessarily hold my breath that it ever comes in the NHL. If he can eventually be what Komisarek is now (rock, #3/4 guy, no real offensive impact), then I'll take that and run. Anything else would be pure bonus IMHO.
Thanks for info.
It sounds like Lapierre will have a long, solid career.
I hope for the same with O'Byrne.

Last edited by montreal: 11-24-2006 at 07:48 PM.
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2006, 07:45 AM
Top Corner2

I realy like Lapierre and have watched him for awhile now. He is definitely an energy guy with size, speed and a tremendous work ethic. When I saw him play live in Hamilton last year (when the dogs sucked) he was the only guy making anything happen. He was creating chances and drawing penalties. This year it seems he has added scoring to his reperatoire. I think he will be a big upgrade on Begin. I think he will score more points and be much harder to play against. I would say his offensive upside is a Martin Gelinas type but he probably won't reach that. I see him as a 3rd line centre that will drive other teams top lines crazy. Mike Peca is a reach, but he may end up in that role (in his defensive years).

In any case the worst case scenario is that he will end up a high energy pest with lots of speed.

Top Corner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2006, 11:14 AM
haner74

I knew Duncan before he started playing in the WHL. At the time he was an incredible badminton athlete. His trouble is that he is so talented that he doesn't always apply himself. He was heads and tails more talented than others but wouldn't always work as hard as them. Now, that there are other equally talented people around him, he is not use to working that little bit extra. I do wish him all the best though.

haner74 is offline   Reply With Quote