HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hawks @ Caps - 9/20/13 @ 7 PM - It's Toews world and we're all just living in it.

Old
09-21-2013, 12:19 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post
Yes, I did.

In that case, yeah. Wilson's unit 2 at best. Brouwer's earned that spot on PP1 for sure.

Laich needs to show he can play without injury, but if he can, yeah, he's probably in that spot on PP2.
IMO:
PP1 - Brouwer
PP2 - Grabovski/Fehr

We have so many forwards for so few PP spots. Figuring that the half-boards are Backstrom/Johansson and Erat/Perreault, and that Ovechkin will man his spot on both units, you gotta figure out some spot to put Grabovski. If Perreault is on the bench, it creates a little more flexibility, but you still have Fehr and Ward in front of Wilson, most likely.

Mystlyfe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 12:26 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

I really don't think they're going to put any lefties in that spot.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 12:32 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Is there anyone who could man Ovie's spot on PP2 and be effective? (Obviously not as effective, but enough so he's not playing the whole PP.) With the compressed schedule due to the Olympics plus the Games themselves, it's so much hockey in the next 7 months before we even get to the playoffs. They need to manage his ice.

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 12:32 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
I'm not trying to oversell Beagle's skills, he is what he is. Agree about the PK last year, I was looking at it more in terms of the available players, not in terms of last season. I'm not suggesting sitting Perreault, fwiw, I still believe it's possible he's sitting right now not because he's not odd man out. Hard to know with all the experimenting going on, all the preseason games, Grabovski's late arrival, etc.
I figure (as I mention above) all of Backstrom, Brouwer, Fehr, Erat, Johansson, Chimera, Ward, and Laich are available to PK when healthy. Chimera, Laich, Ward, Erat should all be quite good at it in fact (and if none are on PP1 then the minutes might fit nicely).

If you're making a conscious effort to give lines 3 and 4 similar ES minutes (which IMO you should be doing if Chimera-Fehr-Ward and Erat/Laich-Perreault-Wilson are those lines) then you'll probably never have guys who can't spare the minutes for the PK. Backstrom and Brouwer may be pushing it depending on line 2's ES time and PP1's time in general, but then they were the most victimize pairing on the PK last year IINM so put them low in the order if you use them at all.

For reference, icetime distribution last season (/game):
Backstrom: 14:48 ES/ 1:31 PK/ 3:34 PP
Brouwer: 13:38 ES/ 1:31 PK/ 3:22 PP
Ward: 11:56 ES/ 1:15 PK/ 1:55 PP
Erat: 11:34 ES/ 1:14 PK/ 1:06 PP
Johansson: 13:58 ES/ 0:57 PK/ 1:39 PP
Fehr: 11:49 ES/ 0:43 PK/ 0:49 PP
Chimera: 12:19 ES/ 0:07 PK/ 0:14 PP
Perreault: 10:26 ES/ 0:02 PK/ 1:11 PP
Laich: 13:28 ES/ 2:13 SH/ 0:50 PP

Beagle: 9:50 ES/ 2:07 PK/ 0:08 PP

Ribeiro: 14:14 ES/ 0:10 PK/ 3:25 PP
Hendricks: 9:55 ES/ 1:44 SH/ 0:03 PP

Were I running things, Backstrom and Brouwer get PK time reduced and Chimera, Fehr, Ward, MoJo get it boosted. I'm assuming Grabovski gets used in a Ribeiro-like role (big PP, little PK time).

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 03:00 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Butter Boy will definitely be my first, but after that I'm leaning towards Ward but with Beagle possibly being a dark horse.
Well I stand corrected, it appears that Michal Neuvirth has thrown a life ring to Joel Ward.

New whipping boy order:
1. MAJOrine aka Butter Boy
2. Neuvy

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 04:04 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
I really don't think they're going to put any lefties in that spot.
Agreed but it wouldn't be a terrible idea IMO to have two different 2nd PP units, one that runs things off the right side like the 1st unit and one that runs things off the left side just to have another option. Sure that would keep Ovechkin from playing the full two minutes all the time but that wouldn't be a terrible thing IMO.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 04:50 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Overall I thought Orlov played a very good game. His play really jumped out to me.

Wilson's is going to be on this team out of the gate.

09-21-2013, 05:01 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
Overall I thought Orlov played a very good game. His play really jumped out to me.

Wilson's is going to be on this team out of the gate.
Agree on Orlov generally.

Old
09-21-2013, 05:01 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Agreed but it wouldn't be a terrible idea IMO to have two different 2nd PP units, one that runs things off the right side like the 1st unit and one that runs things off the left side just to have another option. Sure that would keep Ovechkin from playing the full two minutes all the time but that wouldn't be a terrible thing IMO.
Yeah, I would really like them to develop a second scheme, either what you say or something with a totally different set-up.

Old
09-21-2013, 05:11 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
So, per my earlier question, who do you put in Ovie's spot but on the RW? I could see Grabo in that spot or maybe Erat, but neither are perfect. Does Wilson have that one-timer? I've seen him pull the trigger closer in, but not off the half-wall. Maybe Kuz down the road.

Old
09-21-2013, 05:14 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
Too much missing passes. But he could get ahead of Hillen probably.

Raikkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 05:15 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Quote:
So, per my earlier question, who do you put in Ovie's spot but on the RW? I could see Grabo in that spot or maybe Erat, but neither are perfect. Does Wilson have that one-timer? I've seen him pull the trigger closer in, but not off the half-wall. Maybe Kuz down the road.
It's even more complicated to make Kuz and Wilson compatible this year, cap-wise.

Raikkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 05:20 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Assuming by RW you mean right-handed, Grabovski, Erat and Kuznetsov are all ineligible. Wilson does seem like he could work.

Edit: Actually I guess you meant LW? In which case Wilson is the one who's ruled out.

Old
09-21-2013, 05:26 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Assuming by RW you mean right-handed, Grabovski, Erat and Kuznetsov are all ineligible. Wilson does seem like he could work.

Edit: Actually I guess you meant LW? In which case Wilson is the one who's ruled out.
Ok, true confessions. I have no clue and can't keep track of who's what-handed. I guess it should be easier with Oates's setup, but I maybe I just don't care enough to retain the info.

In any case, what I thought Milhaus was proposing was effectively a mirror of PP1, where the primary shooter is on the RW half-wall, opposite Ovie's PP spot. So that's what I meant.

Old
09-21-2013, 05:29 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Ok, true confessions. I have no clue and can't keep track of who's what-handed. I guess it should be easier with Oates's setup, but I maybe I just don't care enough to retain the info.

In any case, what I thought Milhaus was proposing was effectively a mirror of PP1, where the primary shooter is on the RW half-wall, opposite Ovie's PP spot. So that's what I meant.
Oh, okay, I actually totally misread your post. I thought you were talking about Brouwer's spot but with a lefty towards the other side, but on re-reading it that's obviously not the case. Yeah, I'm not sure whom you would put there. Orlov comes to mind since he's a lefty with a big shot, maybe Grabovski. I doubt it'll happen anyway.

Old
09-21-2013, 07:03 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Oh, okay, I actually totally misread your post. I thought you were talking about Brouwer's spot but with a lefty towards the other side, but on re-reading it that's obviously not the case. Yeah, I'm not sure whom you would put there. Orlov comes to mind since he's a lefty with a big shot, maybe Grabovski. I doubt it'll happen anyway.
Edit: I like the idea of putting Orlov in that spot. He does have a cannon and his shot is MUCH better than his pass, so you definitely want 74 in Green's spot.

Probably not, but they do need a second unit that can do more than waste 60 seconds, and I rather like the idea of being able to mix it up Left vs. Right to exploit certain PKers or goalies.

Old
09-21-2013, 07:52 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Is there anyone who could man Ovie's spot on PP2 and be effective? (Obviously not as effective, but enough so he's not playing the whole PP.) With the compressed schedule due to the Olympics plus the Games themselves, it's so much hockey in the next 7 months before we even get to the playoffs. They need to manage his ice.
Kundratek mans that spot in Hershey and got spot duty there last year. Fehr is also an option, and has seen time there in the pre-season.

My personal preference would be Green, actually. Let Carlson man the top of the formation and let Green fire his one-timers and nasty writers from the left circle. He's probably the best fit stylistically and skill wise to pick up Ovie's slack over there.

If we were to run an inverted second unit, Grabovski would easily be my choice for the right circle "inverted Ovie." We don't have as many RH playmakers to work along the left boards, though. Though, if they actually went to a more fluid PP formation that would be less of a big deal (ie, have Fehr and Grabo at the two circles and Erat/Perreault down low with Ward/Wilson in the slot).

Old
09-21-2013, 08:29 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Oates is probably well aware he could use an Oates, a RH C. With his obsession for balance, it's probably a given. We don't have any RH passers unless you consider Ovi a distributor.

Give Fehr time

I am intrigued at an inverted brella but think its easier to try a different formation. Who is our inverted Ovi - our big left cannon?

I think MJ has a great shot but not so much off side one timers.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 08:43 PM
MiSe

Grabovski would man Ovi's spot on the inverted, his shot is really that good.

Laich would play the middle I imagine, with Orlov out top on Green's spot.

Who's playing down low on the left and manning the half wall is the real question.
The half wall and goal line spots on an inverted would have to be two of Fehr, Ward, Wilson or Carlson. I don't see any of these as Backstrom/Erat/MoJo quality passers.

MiSe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 09:29 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post

I am intrigued at an inverted brella but think its easier to try a different formation. Who is our inverted Ovi - our big left cannon?
Grabovski or Orlov. But, as I mentioned, it doesn't have to be as biased of a formation as we employ with Ovechkin. They could actually set it up to reverse the play back and forth like many teams do with the 1-3-1. Have more balance with shoot/pass options on both sides of the ice.

Assuming it's unit #2, then have Grabovski and Fehr at opposite half-boards. Have whoever is left of Perreault/Johansson/Erat manning underneath the goal line. Have Laich/Ward/Wilson in the slot, and have Carlson up top.

Old
09-21-2013, 09:39 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Backstrom can do one timers he just refused to do them. He was being tough and going to the net and shooting one timers in the KHL and then became a perimeter player who refused to shoot in the NHL.

SimplySensational is online now   Reply With Quote