HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Flyers sign Matt Read to extension [4 years, $3.625M AAV]

Old
09-21-2013, 12:51 AM
CanadianFlyersFan18

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedleInTheHay View Post
Only because of the assine rules placed in the new CBA that allowed them to buy out two huge mistakes, how would the team be looking this year if Briere and Bryzgalov were still on the roster?
Considering the Cap was significantly higher I'd say they'd be fine. If you want to lower the Max Cap in the CBA you can't just handy-cap 15 teams that spent to the previous cap. Get a grip and use you're head and take a lap. Oh and to stay on topic Read at 3.6 is a steal, if you can't figure out why I'd suggest watching more than the 20 second TSN highlight reel every morning.

CanadianFlyersFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 01:44 AM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Only because of the assine rules placed in the new CBA that allowed them to buy out two huge mistakes, how would the team be looking this year if Briere and Bryzgalov were still on the roster?
Well they're not. So what exactly are you trying to accomplish?

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 02:08 AM
Kevin8se7en
Unregistered User

Very fair contract for both sides IMO.

Kevin8se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 03:14 AM
Zirakzigil

Good deal for Philly.

Zirakzigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 04:01 AM
kudymen
4, 15, 38 and 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Why do people always say the Flyers are in cap trouble?
Because they have no ****ing clue what they are talking about

Love this deal

kudymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 04:32 AM
huntison

Seems fair to me

huntison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 05:30 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Didn't think he'd get this much. Makes the Gagner contract look even better.

thadd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 06:48 AM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Wow I actually have gotten so used to flyers and their NMC contracts that it sort of startled me to see there isn't one.

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 07:27 AM
Trolfoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
Wow I actually have gotten so used to flyers and their NMC contracts that it sort of startled me to see there isn't one.
No point... He'll be traded for Reimer before the NMC would kick in anyways...

carter.... (cough)

Trolfoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 07:53 AM
CanuckistanFlyerfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino 350 View Post
No point... He'll be traded for Reimer before the NMC would kick in anyways...

carter.... (cough)
Excellent point.

Except that everyone else on the Flyers also have signed contracts yet haven't been traded.

CanuckistanFlyerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 08:05 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Briere wasn't a huge mistake. He performed well for most of his contract - far better than Gomez or Drury did. If the cap hadn't been arbitrarily lowered the Flyers could have kept him or traded him quite easily.

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 08:06 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
With the original cap projections? They'd have been fine. You can't leave out that context, can you?

What about the asinine rule that requires a player who suffered a career-ending injury to continue to pretend that his return is imminent, or at least achievable?

The Flyers have the most misunderstood cap situation in the league. It is borderline bizarre.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 08:11 AM
Curufinwe

They do. A lot of people don't understand how ELC bonuses work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS View Post
2013-14 (Not perfect, but close to how I assume we will look.)
Hartnell (4.75) - Giroux (3.75) - Voracek (4.25)
Simmonds (3.98) - Lecavalier (4.50) - Schenn (0.90)
Raffl (0.79) - Couturier (0.93) - Read (0.90)
Rinaldo (0.75) - Laughton (0.93) - Talbot (1.75)
Rosehill (0.68) - Hall (0.60)

Timonen (6.00) - Coburn (4.50)
Streit (5.25) - Schenn (3.60)
Grossmann (3.50) - Meszaros (4.00)
Gustafsson (1.00) - Gervais (0.83)

Emery (1.65)
Mason (1.50)

CAP CHARGE: 61.29~
SALARY CAP: 64.30
CAP SPACE: 03.01~

2014-15
Hartnell (4.75) - Giroux (8.28) - Voracek (4.25)
Simmonds (3.98) - Lecavalier (4.50) - Schenn (TBD)
xxxxxxxxxx (TBD) - Couturier (1.75) - Read (3.63)
Rinaldo (0.75) - Laughton (0.93) - Talbot (1.75)
Rosehill (0.68)

Streit (5.25) - Schenn (3.60)
Gustafsson (TBD) - Coburn (4.50)
xxxxxxxxxx (TBD) - Grossmann (3.50)
xxxxxxxxxx (TBD)

Emery (TBD)
Mason (TBD)

CAP CHARGE: 52.10~
SALARY CAP: 64.30+
CAP SPACE: 12.20+

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 08:13 AM
End of Line
Human After All

Decent for both sides.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 09:52 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleshemsky83 View Post
Wow, first Lecavalier takes a discount now this guy?
Yeah, players obviously don't want to play for the flyers. They treat players so bad.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 12:43 PM
NeedleInTheHay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
With the original cap projections? They'd have been fine. You can't leave out that context, can you?

What about the asinine rule that requires a player who suffered a career-ending injury to continue to pretend that his return is imminent, or at least achievable?

The Flyers have the most misunderstood cap situation in the league. It is borderline bizarre.
What was the previous projection? I'm gonna say no more than 70 million. If that's the case, no they wouldn't have been fine. They maybe could have added Streit, but not Lecavalier with Briere and Bryz taking up like 12 million in cap space.

And yes I agree completely, the injury rule is assine but it's only helping the Flyers. We all know Pronger signed a 35+ contract that they would be stuck with right now if he was officially retired.

NeedleInTheHay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 12:45 PM
NeedleInTheHay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post
is the gm of your team too stupid to dump a bad contract or two? or can't they afford it? I get it the Flyers are the Yankees and you're a Royals fan.

The rule is only asinine from your point of view
Well the GM of my team was not stupid enough to sign terrible contracts in the first place, the owner of the team I follow is right near the top of the richest in the league.

And no the Flyers aren't the Yankees, that would imply they won something recently.

NeedleInTheHay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 01:08 PM
BillDineen

I assume these non Flyer fans are trolling, because no one could be that stupid, could they?

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 01:09 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLAlert View Post
You must know something no one else does...

Say schenn takes a deal like Kadri which makes more sense given that he hasn't broken out yet like Kadri has and that puts him at $2.9.

As far as the forwards goes, they flyers now have some depth locked up and they don't need to sign Schenn plus 2 forwards. They need to sign Schenn and bring up a forward from the phantoms who is waiting to crack the roster.

Flyers will have options on D and goal because they will have cap space.
Signing/bring up is the same thing.....they have slots they have to fill....bring player up through your system still has to count against the cap. Sign a player for $1M or bring up a prospect for about $1M. Which option they choose is up to them.

Schenns cap hit is $3.1M---why does he want to take a pay cut to $2.9M ??? I know his salary is less than $3.1M but still--a player isnt going to want to take a pay cut and given what Read got he will be asking for something more than that.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 01:20 PM
healthyscratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
I assume these non Flyer fans are trolling, because no one could be that stupid, could they?
Yes, they can.

Quote:
“I'm pretty excited, very happy and pretty relieved,” said Read. “It's been an ongoing process, but I'm very happy about it. My first two years have been overwhelming for me. Its crazy that I'm even playing in the NHL, but to get this second contract with this organization is a dream come true. I couldn't be with a better organization and I'm thrilled to be here for a few more years.”

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 01:34 PM
Tripod

Quote:
Briere signed a 2 year deal getting 4 mill per season. I guess he still had value.

Where is the backlash for all they other guys that got bought out from other teams? Fans on here LOVE to hate on the Flyers. All this what if/what if. I don't see those same fans saying yeah, but what if the season was a full one...then Philly would have made the playoffs. They were one of the best teams the last 10 games. Nope, no mention of that.

And FWIW, Briere was FARRRRR from a mistake...look at his stats.

Tripod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 01:42 PM
The Nose
#FireHolland

I like Read. I look at him as a Pavelski-lite in a lot of ways. Very fair deal.

The Nose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 01:43 PM
Tripod

Quote:
Well the GM of my team was not stupid enough to sign terrible contracts in the first place, the owner of the team I follow is right near the top of the richest in the league.

And no the Flyers aren't the Yankees, that would imply they won something recently.
Not true...you have a 5 million dollar goalie that becomes a backup in the playoffs. You know, that guy that even Bryz was better than!!

Tripod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 01:55 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
Signing/bring up is the same thing.....they have slots they have to fill....bring player up through your system still has to count against the cap. Sign a player for $1M or bring up a prospect for about $1M. Which option they choose is up to them.

Schenns cap hit is $3.1M---why does he want to take a pay cut to $2.9M ??? I know his salary is less than $3.1M but still--a player isnt going to want to take a pay cut and given what Read got he will be asking for something more than that.
It's not a pay cut if you aren't making that money. Schenn made the base 900k cause he didn't play over 25 minutes a night etc (performance bonuses), similarly I highly doubt he's an all-star this year and wins a major award (his performance bonus for this season). Him signing for about 3 mil is a pay raise of 2 mil, not a pay cut regardless of what is posted on capgeek.

Schenn is younger and has the higher pedigree for sure when compared to Read but hasn't performed to those standards. Similarly he doesn't play in all situations like Read and is still an RFA so why would he be getting more then Read?

Give it up, the Flyers are not in cap trouble no matter how many times you say it.

FlyersFan61290 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 02:56 PM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
It's not a pay cut if you aren't making that money. Schenn made the base 900k cause he didn't play over 25 minutes a night etc (performance bonuses), similarly I highly doubt he's an all-star this year and wins a major award (his performance bonus for this season). Him signing for about 3 mil is a pay raise of 2 mil, not a pay cut regardless of what is posted on capgeek.

Schenn is younger and has the higher pedigree for sure when compared to Read but hasn't performed to those standards. Similarly he doesn't play in all situations like Read and is still an RFA so why would he be getting more then Read?

Give it up, the Flyers are not in cap trouble no matter how many times you say it.
+1

This is why I don't comment on other teams cap situations, too many complexities. Specific contracts are easy to understand, but most people look really stupid when they start showing off their capology skilllzzzzz...

StevensCakeBakerBacker is online now   Reply With Quote