HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anthony Stolarz

Old
09-20-2013, 11:57 PM
The Dream
User Registered

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
Here are some tweets about him from tonight's game:

Ryan Yessie ‏@RyanHPscout 1h
Anthony Stolarz locks down the shutout with an amazing performance tonight

^Scout for hockey prospect.

Ryan Yessie ‏@RyanHPscout 1h
#Philadelphia #Flyers prospect Anthony Stolarz has been outstanding when called upon tonight. Would be a different game if not for him.

Supposedly made some huge saves.
Nice.

The Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 11:53 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I really don't know what else to say about Stolarz other than he's a legitimate blue chip goaltending prospect. He really turned heads at training camp this year and he's won over a lot of people in the Flyers camp in terms of him being the goaltender of the future.

It's clear that the Flyers aren't going to rush Stolarz and that he's going to benefit by spending a full year under the tutelage of Bill Dark. I saw the game last night and it's clear that Stolarz has really focused on the technical side of things and is really trying to fine tune his game. He's not relying on his athleticism as much to make routine saves. More importantly, he's really watching the play develop and he's letting the play come to him. He's slowing down things and he's more calm in his demeanor.

Now, I will say he made some spectacular stops last night and his athleticism was on display during those stops. However, he didn't rely on his athleticism, which he did quite often last year. He still has to work a bit on his puck handling skills, but it's getting much better.

I have high hopes for Stolarz. I haven't seen a goaltender come through the Flyers system with the athleticism and work ethic Stolarz brings. The only goalie from the Flyers history that I can remember who might have more natural talent than Stolarz would have been the late Pelle Lindbergh.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 11:59 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

The best thing Stolarz ever did was go to London.

The raw side of him is slowly vanishing. He's looking for composed, less flashy. His angles are tight and his movements are robotic. Meanwhile, we know he has the athleticism to come away on top in so many hopeless scenarios.

I want to make this clear again. All goalies who ever play a game at the NHL level can make a flashy save here and there. They all have to be athletic and talented to make it that far. The difference between those guys and the regular starters that become long-term NHL goaltenders is that the consistent goaltenders make all the saves they're supposed to make.

Give me a goalie who will make all the routine saves over a goalie who will awe and amaze the crowd.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 01:47 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I really don't know what else to say about Stolarz other than he's a legitimate blue chip goaltending prospect. He really turned heads at training camp this year and he's won over a lot of people in the Flyers camp in terms of him being the goaltender of the future.

It's clear that the Flyers aren't going to rush Stolarz and that he's going to benefit by spending a full year under the tutelage of Bill Dark. I saw the game last night and it's clear that Stolarz has really focused on the technical side of things and is really trying to fine tune his game. He's not relying on his athleticism as much to make routine saves. More importantly, he's really watching the play develop and he's letting the play come to him. He's slowing down things and he's more calm in his demeanor.

Now, I will say he made some spectacular stops last night and his athleticism was on display during those stops. However, he didn't rely on his athleticism, which he did quite often last year. He still has to work a bit on his puck handling skills, but it's getting much better.

I have high hopes for Stolarz. I haven't seen a goaltender come through the Flyers system with the athleticism and work ethic Stolarz brings. The only goalie from the Flyers history that I can remember who might have more natural talent than Stolarz would have been the late Pelle Lindbergh.
Next to Parent, Pelle is my favorite tender. I still believe that if he had not died that team would have won at least one cup. He had "it" and was a very nice human being to boot. Thanks for the report on Stolarz. I to hope that they do not rush him. Let the kid do his thing and work on the areas he needs to.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 03:09 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Let's hope peanut butter cups isn't here anymore when he's ready to make the jump...

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 03:12 PM
MP92

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Let's hope peanut butter cups isn't here anymore when he's ready to make the jump...

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 03:13 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Boucher will probably be looking for a job

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 03:55 PM
tymed

good to have our poor man's patty sharp under a nice deal for both sides.

this kid is a simply great story for us and really, from the second he put on a phantoms jersey this was only a matter of time.

wrong thread

Last edited by tymed: 09-21-2013 at 10:37 PM.
tymed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 05:00 PM
Jtown

Great goalie prospect for sure. All it took was giving up a vezina winner to get him.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 05:38 PM
MP92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Great goalie prospect for sure. All it took was giving up a vezina winner to get him.
Speaking of Bob, not that one single preseason game means much but Bob is looking like the complete opposite of a Vezina winner in today's game. His puck handling is also still as horrendous as it was here.

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 07:11 AM
flybynite77

Quote:

I really would love to see that when Stolarz turns pro and comes to the Flyers organization that the Flyers also bring Bill Dark with him. This team needs a significant upgrade at goaltending coach and I hope with Hexy as the AGM if not Bill Dark then he finds someone else out there to fill that role.

Goalies seem to be more raw coming into the league than they were 15-20 years ago. I'm not really sure what the reason for that is, but it does seem like there is much more development/handling needed for younger goalies.

flybynite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 09:00 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybynite77 View Post
I really would love to see that when Stolarz turns pro and comes to the Flyers organization that the Flyers also bring Bill Dark with him. This team needs a significant upgrade at goaltending coach and I hope with Hexy as the AGM if not Bill Dark then he finds someone else out there to fill that role.

Goalies seem to be more raw coming into the league than they were 15-20 years ago. I'm not really sure what the reason for that is, but it does seem like there is much more development/handling needed for younger goalies.
Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with Jeff Reese as the goaltending coach. He made Michael Leighton and Brian Boucher look like all world goaltenders and it certainly wasn't his fault that Bryzgalov wouldn't buy into what he was trying to coach him. Steve Mason responded well under Reese's watch and Ray Emery is also a big Reese fan. The unfortunate thing is that Reese was expected to make chicken salad out of chicken crap and he did the best he did. It was the same thing in Tampa Bay. After Khabibulin left, the Lightning employed a whole assortment of mediocre to crap goaltenders that Reese was expected to turn into all world goaltenders.

As well, people may not realize this, but Bill Dark and Jeff Reese both have very similar coaching styles and both know what's required of Stolarz to make the jump to the next level. They're on the same page with regards to his development, so I have full confidence in both coaches abilities. If the Flyers goaltending holds up this year, I'm sure Reese is going to get no credit for it and if it falters, I'm sure fingers will be pointed in his direction. I feel for the guy because he's in a no win situation no matter what he does.

Old
09-22-2013, 10:23 AM
kudymen
4, 15, 38 and 63

Quote:
The unfortunate thing is that Reese was expected to make chicken salad out of chicken crap and he did the best he did.
I love this analogy

kudymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 11:09 AM
Clown Baby

Yea, it's a real shame when a mediocre coach doesn't have a crutch to lean on, and is left to fail.

Clown Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 03:30 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Stolarz will be 20yrs old in January and will move to the AHL(will be eligible) next season, lets see how he plays there before we jump the gun. Worse thing to do is rush a goalie into the NHL.

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 03:37 PM
Hiesenberg

With Emery here, its possible the Flyers can work out a 2-3 year deal with him hopefully. It buys Stolarz more time.

If Mason performs, he's going to want a longer deal, if the Flyers really like Stolarz, I don't think giving Mason a potential 5 year deal would be what they want to do.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 04:08 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:

You're killing my ability to not get my hopes up.

09-23-2013, 04:37 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
With Emery here, its possible the Flyers can work out a 2-3 year deal with him hopefully. It buys Stolarz more time.

If Mason performs, he's going to want a longer deal, if the Flyers really like Stolarz, I don't think giving Mason a potential 5 year deal would be what they want to do.
Mason would have to have a phenomenal season to get more than a two year extension considering he's still an RFA.

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 06:59 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanz View Post
Stolarz will be 20yrs old in January and will move to the AHL(will be eligible) next season, lets see how he plays there before we jump the gun. Worse thing to do is rush a goalie into the NHL.
Oh, I don't think that he should sniff the NHL for a minimum of two seasons. Stolarz is a legitimate blue chip prospect, but there's still lot of work he needs to do in refining his game. Give him another season of the OHL and a full season of the AHL and re-evaluate from there. Like I said, the Flyers are probably going to follow the Corey Schneider development path with Stolarz and that makes the most sense.

Old
09-23-2013, 07:23 PM
NHLAlert
@nhl_alert

Quote:
Oh, I don't think that he should sniff the NHL for a minimum of two seasons. Stolarz is a legitimate blue chip prospect, but there's still lot of work he needs to do in refining his game. Give him another season of the OHL and a full season of the AHL and re-evaluate from there. Like I said, the Flyers are probably going to follow the Corey Schneider development path with Stolarz and that makes the most sense.
I hope you don't mean to let him stay in the system for years, play backup to a goalie who he may be able to beat for a job and finally ship him off to the devils after investing so much time , effort and coaching into him

NHLAlert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 07:50 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLAlert View Post
I hope you don't mean to let him stay in the system for years, play backup to a goalie who he may be able to beat for a job and finally ship him off to the devils after investing so much time , effort and coaching into him
lol.....no, not at all. I mean allow him proper development and then bring him up to the big club in a back up role and then allow him to challenge for the starter's role. Don't rush him onto the big club because they need a goaltender.

Old
09-23-2013, 08:13 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
You really think they send Stolarz back to London for his overage season when London could possibly lose a lot of its core after this year & find themselves in a retooling mode?

I mean he could always get traded if that's the case but still I would rather the Flyers not bank on that & send him to the Phantoms which should be pretty decent/good squad.

This is all speaking as if he matches last year's performance with more consistency in this current season.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 08:58 PM
NHLAlert
@nhl_alert

Quote:
lol.....no, not at all. I mean allow him proper development and then bring him up to the big club in a back up role and then allow him to challenge for the starter's role. Don't rush him onto the big club because they need a goaltender.
Haha I know what you meant, I was just playing around

NHLAlert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 04:54 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
You really think they send Stolarz back to London for his overage season when London could possibly lose a lot of its core after this year & find themselves in a retooling mode?

I mean he could always get traded if that's the case but still I would rather the Flyers not bank on that & send him to the Phantoms which should be pretty decent/good squad.

This is all speaking as if he matches last year's performance with more consistency in this current season.
No. I mean he plays out this season in the OHL and then he goes to the AHL for next season with no call ups. Let him play and focus on his game and not worry about Philadelphia. Let him develop undisturbed.

Old
09-24-2013, 09:00 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post

Even in a retooling year, London will undoubtedly continue to be an exceptional organization that excels at helping its players mature. I wouldn't worry if he stayed there. I'm still leery about the coaching staff in Adirondack, even if the squad is more talent-laden. It's not how many games you win, it's drilling the fundamentals into the players' heads that benefits the Flyers the most down the road.

BernieParent is online now   Reply With Quote