HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

2013-14 Ongoing Waiver Thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-19-2013, 11:45 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Not understanding why Feaster traded for Cundari at this point.

Old
09-19-2013, 11:45 AM
sk84fun_dc

vCash: 500
As I posted in the FA invite thread, an expected start on day one of waiver wire for the season about to start:

Quote:
13.2 The "Playing Season Waiver Period" shall begin on the twelfth (12th) day prior to the start of the Regular Season and end on the day following the last day of a Club's Playing Season
Even if sent down/cut from NHL camp earlier, they only hit waivers once you hit this time period; opening day is 10/1.

Different teams have different strategies about when to try to get players through waivers if they think there’s a chance a player will be claimed, but yes, waiver wire starts soon and some of the bigger names to end up on waivers won't be at the beginning, but sometimes a tweener gets put on waivers early by a team to try to get them through.

Old
09-19-2013, 11:47 AM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Not understanding why Feaster traded for Cundari at this point.
I'm not sure either - I thought he had a decent audition with the organization judging by what I've read.

I know this is said a lot but if I were a team willing to take a gamble I'd grab him.

Old
09-19-2013, 11:49 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
I'm not sure either - I thought he had a decent audition with the organization judging by what I've read.

I know this is said a lot but if I were a team willing to take a gamble I'd grab him.
That's the thing. Its not like he has regressed since we traded for him, he has been as good or better. So unless he stole Feaster's donuts, placing him on waivers makes no sense.

Old
09-19-2013, 11:51 AM
Mike Jones

Quote:
That's the thing. Its not like he has regressed since we traded for him, he has been as good or better. So unless he stole Feaster's donuts, placing him on waivers makes no sense.
Can we blame Ward? I haven't blamed him for anything lately and I'm Jonesan.

Old
09-19-2013, 01:24 PM
uncleben85
My face is my mask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
As I posted in the FA invite thread, an expected start on day one of waiver wire for the season about to start:

Even if sent down/cut from NHL camp earlier, they only hit waivers once you hit this time period; opening day is 10/1.

Different teams have different strategies about when to try to get players through waivers if they think there’s a chance a player will be claimed, but yes, waiver wire starts soon and some of the bigger names to end up on waivers won't be at the beginning, but sometimes a tweener gets put on waivers early by a team to try to get them through.
I'm confused by what this means...

1) You can send a player "through waivers" right now, but he can't be claimed, i.e. teams have a grace period until the 12th day of the season to send whomever they want down. (Not likely, imo)
2)Waivers officially start the 12th day, though teams may force players onto waivers before hand, such as the players today. They are free to be claimed, but teams will put them on early waivers in hopes of other teams not picking them up because they are still figuring out their rosters.
or
3)Teams can put players on waivers and other teams can put claims in, however none of those transactions will be processed or recognized by the league until the 12th day.

Or, the whole thing is going over my head, and its none of those...

Old
09-19-2013, 01:27 PM
caley

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleben85 View Post
I'm confused by what this means...

1) You can send a player "through waivers" right now, but he can't be claimed, i.e. teams have a grace period until the 12th day of the season to send whomever they want down. (Not likely, imo)
2)Waivers officially start the 12th day, though teams may force players onto waivers before hand, such as the players today. They are free to be claimed, but teams will put them on early waivers in hopes of other teams not picking them up because they are still figuring out their rosters.
or
3)Teams can put players on waivers and other teams can put claims in, however none of those transactions will be processed or recognized by the league until the 12th day.

Or, the whole thing is going over my head, and its none of those...
I think the basic point was teams can't put players on waivers until it's 12 days before the start of the season (Which is today). Some teams try to sneak players through waivers early while many teams have 35-40+ players in camp and aren't likely to grab them, others try to sneak players through in the last few days before the season, hoping rosters are already set.

09-19-2013, 02:19 PM
uncleben85
My face is my mask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
I think the basic point was teams can't put players on waivers until it's 12 days before the start of the season (Which is today). Some teams try to sneak players through waivers early while many teams have 35-40+ players in camp and aren't likely to grab them, others try to sneak players through in the last few days before the season, hoping rosters are already set.
OHHHHH, my brain skipped over the "prior to" part of the rule book and interpreted it as the 12th day AFTER the start of the season.

I was so confused, bc I was sure it didn't work that way, and frankly it didnt make a lot of sense ahaha

thanks Caley! and thanks sk84fun!

Old
09-19-2013, 02:31 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
It appears Ryan Howse was on waivers last week.

per Bob McKenzie
They used a lot of resources to try and get him in shape and focused on hockey. What a waste.

Quote:
Feaster probably realizes that the chance another team claims him with the intention of keeping him on their roster all year is about 0%. He'll make it to Abbotsford. There's simply no NHL team that would slot him in their top 7 at this point.

Old
09-19-2013, 02:59 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleben85 View Post
OHHHHH, my brain skipped over the "prior to" part of the rule book and interpreted it as the 12th day AFTER the start of the season.

I was so confused, bc I was sure it didn't work that way, and frankly it didnt make a lot of sense ahaha

thanks Caley! and thanks sk84fun!
Sorry for any confusion; thanks Caley for chiming in as I wasn't near a computer.

Yeah, I originally posted that before the waiver period opened which may have caused some confusion, but Caley touched on the salient points.

Old
09-19-2013, 04:41 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
wonder if another organization takes a stab at developing nemisz? Anyone have nhl space for him?

09-19-2013, 05:19 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
wonder if another organization takes a stab at developing nemisz? Anyone have nhl space for him?
I highly doubt it. He hasn't done a hell of a lot at the pro level to this point. I'm sure most teams have better depth players they can work with within their own organization. Nemisz just hasn't shown anything that would make him worth claiming and keeping.

Old
09-19-2013, 05:39 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
I highly doubt it. He hasn't done a hell of a lot at the pro level to this point. I'm sure most teams have better depth players they can work with within their own organization. Nemisz just hasn't shown anything that would make him worth claiming and keeping.
Give him some decent development coaching and then make a decision.

Old
09-20-2013, 10:46 AM
caley

Should be another sizable list of waiver guys (Guys who were already assigned yesterday but still need to clear waivers like Stortini), but the first one that's known is Kevin Marshall of the Leafs, per Chris Johnston.

Old
09-20-2013, 11:12 AM
caley

per Darren Dreger and Tim Wharnsby, everyone on waivers yesterday cleared.

I presume today's waivers will be available imminently.

Old
09-20-2013, 11:29 AM
caley

per Renaud Lavoie, today's waivers

Quote:
Waivers: Mitchell, John
ANA)
Marshall, Kevin
TOR)
Crawford, Nick
BUF)
Biega, Alex
VAN)
Deschamps, Nicolas
WSH)

Old
09-21-2013, 11:13 AM
SOKOL

Cut on waivers today: Petersen, Esyhirt, (Dal), Caruso, Matsumoto, Rallo, Timmins (Fla), Desjardins, Helenius, (TBL), Stoa, Wellman (Wsh)Campbell, Cliche, Kozun, Tardif (LA).

TSN

Old
09-21-2013, 11:35 AM
caley

Not entirely sure on the waivers today, Tim Wharsby tweeted them, then sent out corrected tweets, then sent out a third set of corrected tweets that didn't have guys who were on the earlier.

Anyways, as near as I can ascertain
the following players were on waivers yesterday and cleared but weren't announced
Quote:
Zack Stortini
Mark Flood
Harry Young
Rod Pelley
Tim Sestito
Kevin Henderson
Bryan Rodney
Mark Louis
Danny Biega
Nic Deschamps
Brandon Segal
Matt Watkins
David Kolomatis
the following were put on waivers today
Quote:
Toby Petersen
Francis Wathier
Michael Caruso
Jon Matsumoto
Greg Rallo
Scott Timmins
Cedrick Desjardins
Riku Helenius
Ryan Stoa
Casey Wellman
the following are probably be on waivers today (Were tweeted out once but not again by Wharnsby)
Quote:
Jamie Tardif
Andrew Campbell
Marc Cliche
Brandon Kozun

Old
09-21-2013, 02:48 PM
dotcommunism

I really can't imagine that Danny Biega's on waivers since he's a first year pro. Alex on the other hand is definitely waiver eligible

Old
09-21-2013, 04:03 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Kozun's one of the first interesting waived players. 23 years old, WJC player that scored 100+ points in WHL in back to back seasons. Coming off 26 goal, 56 point AHL season. Small but feisty. Could see a team taking a flyer on him.

Old
09-21-2013, 04:12 PM
caley

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotcommunism View Post
I really can't imagine that Danny Biega's on waivers since he's a first year pro. Alex on the other hand is definitely waiver eligible
Yup, that was my mistake.

Old
09-21-2013, 04:18 PM
Kopistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Kozun's one of the first interesting waived players. 23 years old, WJC player that scored 100+ points in WHL in back to back seasons. Coming off 26 goal, 56 point AHL season. Small but feisty. Could see a team taking a flyer on him.
He's a solid player. As a Kings fan I'm hoping the fact that any team that claims him HAS to keep him up with the team for 30 days (use up a roster spot).

Hopefully he clears!!

Old
09-21-2013, 04:28 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopistar View Post
He's a solid player. As a Kings fan I'm hoping the fact that any team that claims him HAS to keep him up with the team for 30 days (use up a roster spot).

Hopefully he clears!!
That's not true. Any team that claims does have to keep him up unless they want to put him back on waivers, however that 30 day thing is not true. A team can claim him and put him back on waivers the next day. However if this happens, the Kings can claim him back and send him down without dealing with waivers (provided nobody else put a claim in). So yes, a team will only put a claim in if they think he can contribute to the NHL roster, they cannot claim him and stash him in minors in their own system.

I think you are confusing having to keep him up with what happens if he clears. If he clears waivers, the Kings can send him back and forth without waivers again until he stays on the NHL roster for 30 days (or plays 10 games).

Old
09-22-2013, 11:10 AM
caley

per Damian Cristodero
Quote:
Desjardins and Helenius clear waivers.
I actually thought there might be an outside chance Pittsburgh would claim one of them and let them compete for Vokoun's vacant back-up job.

Old
09-22-2013, 11:24 AM
caley

per Kevin Allen
Quote:
Players on waivers today include Bachman, Boychuk, Davison, Mikkelson, Palushaj,
Before there's any confusion, I think we can safely come to the conclusions that that is
EDM: Richard Bachman (Not Stephen King's pseudonym)
CAR: Zach Boychuk (Not Johnny Boychuk)
SJS: Rob Davison (Not Brandon Davidson of Edmonton)
TBL: Brendan Mikkelson (Not Meaghan Mikkelson of Canada's Women's Hockey team)
CAR: Aaron Palushaj (No confusing him)

Closed Thread