HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matt Read signs extension (4 years, $3.625M AAV)

Old
09-21-2013, 01:38 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
He is an every shift player. He can play on the first or fourth line, can play offense and defense.

I'm glad he was kept so low...great signing.

09-21-2013, 01:54 PM
MP92
Catching flies

vCash: 500
I was just looking at Read's stats and I noticed one thing that for some reason I haven't realized before. His shooting percentage is awesome. Both seasons are a tad over 15 percent. Just imagine if he shot more. He could easily be a 30 goal scorer if he managed 200 shots. Always knew he had a great shot just from watching him but was unaware of just how good it is.

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 02:04 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek View Post
I was just looking at Read's stats and I noticed one thing that for some reason I haven't realized before. His shooting percentage is awesome. Both seasons are a tad over 15 percent. Just imagine if he shot more. He could easily be a 30 goal scorer if he managed 200 shots. Always knew he had a great shot just from watching him but was unaware of just how good it is.
Yes he does have a very good shot. I remember him saying in an interview that he would lay a plastic sheet down in his back yard (to simulate the ice surface) and just pick corners all day. He said he'd shoot 400 pucks per corner ever day. That's insane but it obviously payed off.

Last edited by FlyersFan61290: 09-21-2013 at 02:10 PM.
FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 02:10 PM
MP92
Catching flies

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Yes he does have a very good shot. I remember him saying in an interview that he would lay a plastic sheet down in his back yard (to simulate the ice surface) and just pick corners all day. He said he'd shot 400 pucks per corner ever day. That's insane but it obviously payed off.
Wow. I actually do the same thing from time to time when I have no where else to play. Not to the extent he did though, and a lot less accurate But seriously, that's dedication right there. Good to see a guy who works hard find success like he has. Goes from not being drafted to a pretty good player in the league.

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 02:55 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5602
Quote:
Originally Posted by CS View Post
I don't know. I think the organization is going to slow down development from here on out. Morin and Laughton, much to the dismay of many around here, might spend more time playing elsewhere than Philadelphia despite being ready.

Laughton may not be put into a top 9 role until Lecavalier is on his way out or moved to wing.

Lecavalier will be 36 at the end of his deal.

Laughton will be 22.

Maybe something like...

2013-14: Laughton (OHL)
2014-15: Laughton (AHL)
2015-16: Laughton (4th line center)
2016-17: Laughton (3rd line center/Lecavalier to wing or retire)

I mean that's a little extreme, but possibly how things could go.

As for Morin, despite his awesome summer, he could theoretically be 4 years out as well. Throw Hagg and Gostisbehere into the same boat.

4 years is the max I'll put on these guys, but as a whole, we seem to be taking a more developmental approach to these guys.

Our team is so good on paper right now, that that move makes sense really.
They're not going to slow down his development. That's not what this team is about. They view him as an NHL player and it was pretty clear that he would have stayed on the team last season if it was a full season.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 02:59 PM
Prongo
Beer

I don't think there is any chance Morin or Hagg are 4 years out. Not a chance. Morin will be fighting for a spot next year, while Hagg I think the year following that or maybe even next year. Ghost is in the same boat there as well, he will need AHL seasoning, but he isn't that far out also. I say Ghost will be on the third pairing in two years down the road(Flyers really like him, as well as I do!!)

Read's contract isn't going to kill this team, it's a fabulous deal. When we start putting some of these blue chippers on our defense, we will be in great shape for a few years with the cap as well. Especially if it continues to rise.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 03:00 PM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
They're not going to slow down his development. That's not what this team is about. They view him as an NHL player and it was pretty clear that he would have stayed on the team last season if it was a full season.
I'd rather the team stop developing players and retain as much cap space as possible. That's how you build a winner.

StevensCakeBakerBacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 03:02 PM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
I don't think there is any chance Morin or Hagg are 4 years out. Not a chance. Morin will be fighting for a spot next year, while Hagg I think the year following that or maybe even next year. Ghost is in the same boat there as well, he will need AHL seasoning, but he isn't that far out also. I say Ghost will be on the third pairing in two years down the road(Flyers really like him, as well as I do!!)

Read's contract isn't going to kill this team, it's a fabulous deal. When we start putting some of these blue chippers on our defense, we will be in great shape for a few years with the cap as well. Especially if it continues to rise.
If we can get one defensive piece in FA and replace our overpriced 2/3 pairings with some entry level players, this team will be incredible in 2-3 years. I'm really excited about where this team is heading, could be very special for a long time.

StevensCakeBakerBacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 04:02 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
I think read has the best shot on the team, and the only argument that could be made is Giroux.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 04:25 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
I think read has the best shot on the team, and the only argument that could be made is Giroux.
Lecavalier.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 04:57 PM
flyersfan018

vCash: 50
Quote:
Giroux and Lecavalier may have better.

flyersfan018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 06:11 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
Lecavalier.
Hartnell.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 06:17 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Hartnell.

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 06:17 PM
flyersfan28

meszaros?

flyersfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 06:21 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Hartnell can snipe, he should definitely be in the conversation.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 06:24 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Harrell actually does have a very good shot. If he's got time he'll bury it.

If you remember in the Flyers skills comp a couple years back he finished the accuracy comp in five shots.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 06:53 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Hartnell can snipe, he should definitely be in the conversation.
hartnell can snipe.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 07:57 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Hartnell may have a good shot, but he doesnt get it off very often

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 08:04 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 165
Speaking of Reads shot, he is the only guy on the team I trust to have a straight shot on a shootout attempt, with little trickery, and score, I may be exaggerating, but it seems to be his go to move, and actually works!

I would say him and Hartnell are the best two pure shooters, Hartnell on the edge of the left circle, shooting from his knee, is a beautiful thing to watch, but when Giroux gets one right it is unstoppable, laser like, a few of his wristers from 11-12 you could not even see properly until the net rippled.

Lecav is obviously up there with them.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 08:57 PM
Clown Baby

Quote:
He's definitely got the quickest release on the team. Not sure about accuracy, or power. Some of the goals he scored his rookie season, the puck was barely on his stick before he got a shot off.

Clown Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 09:34 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post

Morin will challenge for a job next year, but not get one. He needs two more full years of Jr. then we can talk about playing as a 20 yr old.

Hagg is the same and after this year and next as a leader at MoDo, he might be ready in the fall of '15 too.

Gostibehere may come out of college after this year, ahead of his stated schedule, but he will probably need a year in the AHL if he does.

I don't see how all three of them can just walk in the lineup at once, and certainly not in 2014. A couple spots might opent up by 2015, but that will depend if Gus, Lauridsen or Alt cement a spot before then.

Streit is signed for 4 years
Luke, Coburn and Grossmann have 3 more.
Gustafsson will need another contract longer after this year.
That's 5 locked up for the next three.

Timonen and Meszaros are probably in their last year, Gervais and Bourdon are done for sure. Kimmo might come back for one more until the three bluechippers are closer.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 12:21 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
there is no need to rush Gostibehere at all. let him stay at Union for 4 years and develop his game. as physical as the AHL is he is going to have bulk up. 1 more year wont be enough IMO

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 01:35 AM
mypunkrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
Speaking of Reads shot, he is the only guy on the team I trust to have a straight shot on a shootout attempt, with little trickery, and score, I may be exaggerating, but it seems to be his go to move, and actually works!

I would say him and Hartnell are the best two pure shooters, Hartnell on the edge of the left circle, shooting from his knee, is a beautiful thing to watch, but when Giroux gets one right it is unstoppable, laser like, a few of his wristers from 11-12 you could not even see properly until the net rippled.

Lecav is obviously up there with them.
Peter Forsberg once told me Simon Gagne was the purest shooter he'd ever seen.

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 02:18 AM
A Clerk
Schennergy

love the signing and the player, Read seems like a real professional and hard worker to me, something I feel reflects into his game, glad to have him aboard for the next five years, quickly becoming one of my favorite flyers

A Clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 06:07 AM
flybynite77

Remember when Buffalo gave Ville Leino 6 yrs/$27m when he wasn't even half the player Matt Read is? Someone definitely would have given him close to $4.5m on a 4 year deal on the open market IMO. Especially when the cap is expected to rise again if not for 2014-2015 then just after.

flybynite77 is offline   Reply With Quote