HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Campoli to be traded?!@?!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-20-2006, 03:54 PM
  #26
Trottier
Very Random
 
Trottier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 27,745
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C. View Post
Honestly, this line of reasoning is just silly on Rotowire's behalf.
True.

There is a weird affliction among some in the media and fandom to automatically want to trade ANYONE, the minute they suffer an injury, are sent down, start playing poorly, etc.

Here's a basic concept: Campoli remains young. He offers NYI mobility and (modest) NHL experience on the backline should an injury occur. Why would NYI be looking to give that up? This team has suffered depth issues for years.

On the other hand, the idea that Campoli "deserves" anything this year is misguided, IMO. He had a respectable rookie year on a lousy club. The team is better this year; the bar has been raised for both individual players and the team as a whole. He became injured, unfortunately. Others have stepped into the void. Such is life.

This is a squad that is playing well...albeit through seven weeks of the season. No need to disrupt any chemistry, but rather a time to sit still and let the team continue to gel.


Last edited by Trottier: 11-20-2006 at 04:14 PM.
Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 04:50 PM
  #27
Capt Reynolds
Registered User
 
Capt Reynolds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 7,493
vCash: 500
Besides, we can't trade Campoli, John has suffered enough with Webb gone.

Capt Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 07:26 PM
  #28
BelovedIsles
Registered User
 
BelovedIsles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In Your head [;
Country: United States
Posts: 10,002
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
I commented on Campoli and his promotion (of the sorts) about 10 days ago. He was a minus 10, with 2 assists in 7 games, not really making a strong case.

Nolan is establishing that one has to EARN their way (see Nilsson), especially the "kids" who have not proven much at the NHL level as it is. I love this concept personally, especially applied to moldable youth.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 08:16 PM
  #29
KH1
Registered User
 
KH1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Under the cap floor
Country: United States
Posts: 16,018
vCash: 500
If I'm not mistaken, both Hill and Poti are currently signed to 1 year deals. If the Isles don't have a spot for both Gervais and Campoli right now, they certainly will by next season. It makes no sense to trade either unless Snow can get a huge return.

I wouldn't expect a move.

KH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 09:20 PM
  #30
27isles27
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: FALL RIVER MA
Country: United States
Posts: 70
vCash: 500
i would trade zhitnik or hill before trading campoli or sending down gervais

27isles27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 05:53 PM
  #31
TubbyTerrion*
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Studio City
Country: United States
Posts: 3,974
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
back to bridgeport: the chris campoli story... tonight, on lifetime.

TubbyTerrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 10:29 PM
  #32
doublechili
Registered User
 
doublechili's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,446
vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanson View Post
You must have watched a different Gervais than I did last year. On the Island, his defense was wildly inconsistent. If Campoli didn't get hurt I'm guessing he'd be getting more minutes than Gervais right now....if Gervais wasn't in Bridgeport.
I don't get to see all that many games, but in the ones I did see I thought Gervais was by far the better of the two positionally, and he's pretty composed for a young defenseman. The vibe I was getting from camp was that Nolan thought so too, so I don't agree with your guess about who'd be playing if not for Campoli's injury.

The thing with being a solid positional defenseman is, sometimes the right play is to let your guy go. If the player who should then pick the guy up doesn't, it can make you look bad. Maybe that's why Gervais' catches grief sometimes, I don't know. Better that than a defenseman chasing guys all over the ice.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 11:47 PM
  #33
ElSid Crosby
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 141
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbyTerrion View Post
back to bridgeport: the chris campoli story... tonight, on lifetime.
Ho! My god... My pool is over ....

ElSid Crosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 10:19 AM
  #34
Melanson
Registered User
 
Melanson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 1,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
I don't get to see all that many games, but in the ones I did see I thought Gervais was by far the better of the two positionally, and he's pretty composed for a young defenseman. The vibe I was getting from camp was that Nolan thought so too, so I don't agree with your guess about who'd be playing if not for Campoli's injury.

The thing with being a solid positional defenseman is, sometimes the right play is to let your guy go. If the player who should then pick the guy up doesn't, it can make you look bad. Maybe that's why Gervais' catches grief sometimes, I don't know. Better that than a defenseman chasing guys all over the ice.
I think over the last couple of games Gervais has started to show some composure. Last season I was surprised at how much trouble he had carrying the puck out of his own zone because I had heard that he was a pretty good offensive defenseman in the minors. From what I saw, and I watched every game last season, Gervais lacked confidence last year and was very shaky at times. I didn't see that in Campoli. I personally think Campoli will end up being a much better NHL defenseman. I guess we'll see.

I do think Nolan just wasted a week of game-conditioning by bringing him up and then not playing him only to send him back down though.

Melanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 11:36 AM
  #35
doublechili
Registered User
 
doublechili's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,446
vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanson View Post
I think over the last couple of games Gervais has started to show some composure. Last season I was surprised at how much trouble he had carrying the puck out of his own zone because I had heard that he was a pretty good offensive defenseman in the minors. From what I saw, and I watched every game last season, Gervais lacked confidence last year and was very shaky at times. I didn't see that in Campoli. I personally think Campoli will end up being a much better NHL defenseman. I guess we'll see.

I do think Nolan just wasted a week of game-conditioning by bringing him up and then not playing him only to send him back down though.
Since I don't see that many games, maybe I just caught him on good nights. I wouldn't be shocked to see Bouchard sliding into Gervais slot for a game, and then keeping it. Then Gervais and Campoli would both be in Bridgeport, but close by for injury fill-ins.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:37 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.