HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LD Sean Day - Mississauga Steelheads, OHL (2016 Draft)

Old
06-22-2013, 02:41 PM
Grant McCagg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Like who, The Hockey News?
Their coverage lately speaks for itself, from their fruitless "expansion announced after CBA negotiations", to "Day will be denied ES" just days before he was granted it, to their draft rankings this year that are just a bit off base.
They lose credibility with each passing year it seems.

Everyone seemed to piggyback the THN report and the rest was rumblings from nobodies.
Don't forget, McDavid was apparently going to be denied ES too, once upon a time..
You have to take everything you read about any minor hockey player with a sizable grain of salt.
When you say the Hockey News rankings are "just a bit off base"... several NHL scouts were consulted for those rankings and I personally scouted more than 70 games live and 150 games on video/webcast/TV.

I would imagine that at least 52 of the top 60 players ranked will go in the top two rounds, and at least 25 of the top 30. Considering that the rankings had to be submitted in early April before the U-18's, that's a pretty solid number. Even so, I suggest you wait until after the draft (or better yet three years) before definitively criticizing the rankings.

Independent lists have a tendency to be pretty close to one another...doesn't mean their rankings are correct however. Believe me, you would be shocked to know how different NHL lists can be, even in the first round. There are teams that don't have Shinkaruk in the top 20 for instance, while some think he may be a top ten guy.

Mantha is another guy with very polarizing opinions..there are teams that won't even look at him in the first round, but he still made the top 30. There is no right or wrong ranking for a player like him..there are question marks that have to be answered...some teams won't worry as much as other teams about his perimeter play.

A player like Dauphin is too low on the list admittedly, but his stock rose considerably after his play at the U-18's, as did a few others.. I now have him in the top 40. Ristolainen had a solid end of the season in Finland also and has moved up some on my list...in the mid teens, while Pulock struggled at season's end and dropped a few spots.

Anyway - The THN rankings were not done with any influence from other lists, and the scouts consulted for the rankings are senior NHL scouts with excellent reputations. Unfortunately they ask for the final rankings to be submitted quite early, so there were bound to be a few guys who moved up or down afterwards.

Grant McCagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 04:16 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
I think there's a few reasons..

Limited viewings/limited evaluation when viewing: He played in the Detroit area of course, so some teams may have almost solely relied on tournaments to view he and his teammates, which means they saw him a lot less than anyone playing in Ontario. Even when they saw him, he's an underager and you're paid to scout players that are eligible in the current season. You probably won't pick apart his game but rather jot down a few things since he's a year younger than everyone else. The talk of him looking at ES picked up at the Silver Stick, which at that point the MM season is basically already halfway over. That means little time for serious evaluation, especially when you consider the fact that he didn't play in the province.

Rawness: He's pretty much a blank canvas. He has some amazing tools that basically make his ceiling unlimited, but he needs to learn how to fully utilize them. For example, I believe he has had very little defensive coaching. Either this season or last season was the first one he had serious defensive coaching. This can be looked at as both a positive and a negative. If you look at it positively, he's already an incredible prospect and still has plenty of room for growth. If you look at it negatively, he may not be ready to step into your lineup without some growing pains. The Steelheads obviously looked at it in a positive manner and are willing to help him grow.

Conspiracy: Some think that Branch wanted a star in the GTA and made it happen. I don't really know about that and the other two factors make much more sense.

Character and reporting, as previously mentioned, should not be factors as he was granted ES.

Great post.

I tend to lean towards your rawness argument as to why he slid to 4. When you watch him play you can see how he's pretty much solely relying on his incredible physical gifts. He'd make poor passes or reads, and his skating alone would bail him out. Will be great to see how he adapts/alters his game.

Garyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 09:57 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyboy View Post
Great post.

I tend to lean towards your rawness argument as to why he slid to 4. When you watch him play you can see how he's pretty much solely relying on his incredible physical gifts. He'd make poor passes or reads, and his skating alone would bail him out. Will be great to see how he adapts/alters his game.
Good perspective. I think people will be keying on some of the things u mention, early in his OHL season. Some doubts were raised (although drafted 4th is no small task) and people want to see the transition. I personally am eagerly awaiting his OHL debut. People will be watching to see how much he gives each shift and how high his hockey IQ is... i.e. his reads. If those issues remain in 2-3 years, his skating and size alone should draw major interest in the first round of the NHL draft. He has alot of potential to really blossom into a big time player.

mapleleaf979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 11:03 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Good perspective. I think people will be keying on some of the things u mention, early in his OHL season. Some doubts were raised (although drafted 4th is no small task) and people want to see the transition. I personally am eagerly awaiting his OHL debut. People will be watching to see how much he gives each shift and how high his hockey IQ is... i.e. his reads. If those issues remain in 2-3 years, his skating and size alone should draw major interest in the first round of the NHL draft. He has alot of potential to really blossom into a big time player.
I'm excited to see him, too - and he looks like he has a ton of potential.

re him 'dropping' to 4th...getting UA doesn't mean you're the best player in the draft...and it seems there were some question marks about him. The circumstances surrounding him getting UA also seem a bit murky.

hopefully he does well next yea.r

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 10:00 AM
NativeHockey77*

I just read the other day that he went 4th in the priority draft. What gives? Thought he was suppose to be a prodigy or did some teams just not thing so?

I just really thought he was going to be the first guy selected or does that show how much talent was in this years draft?

NativeHockey77* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 01:26 PM
GuillaumeLetsundress
Formerly Pheramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDAVID View Post
I just read the other day that he went 4th in the priority draft. What gives? Thought he was suppose to be a prodigy or did some teams just not thing so?

I just really thought he was going to be the first guy selected or does that show how much talent was in this years draft?
read a little bit of the thread you will find many answers

GuillaumeLetsundress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 01:36 PM
NativeHockey77*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuillaumeLetsundress View Post
read a little bit of the thread you will find many answers
Thanks Tips

Last edited by NativeHockey77*: 07-24-2013 at 01:43 PM.
NativeHockey77* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 04:08 PM
wings5

Ok so according to the OHL website, Sean Day is 6'2 217 lbs at 15 years old.....yikes

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 04:29 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
Ok so according to the OHL website, Sean Day is 6'2 217 lbs at 15 years old.....yikes
Does anyone recall how big Ekblad was at that age?

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 04:36 PM
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
Around the same, I think about 6'3 215

FishManSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 04:37 PM
wings5

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
About 6'3 200 lbs at the same age.

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 05:41 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Was going to see the kid play tonight but I will have to watch the game on T.V. instead. Hope he plays well. Will be interesting to see if his skating is as strong as everyone says.

OttawaRoughRiderFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 06:25 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Gave up a break away early.

OttawaRoughRiderFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 06:30 PM
Torgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
Bust.

Torgo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 09:15 PM
Langdon Alger*

Quote:
I was at the game tonight, and I thought he recovered nicely. Real steady play, though not much flash.

Gotta love living in an OHL town - I've seen both Connor McDavid and Sean Day play their first OHL games live. Something I can tell my grandkids about if the two of them become what they're meant to.

Langdon Alger* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 10:26 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThreat View Post
Bust.
well played

Scarecrow Boat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 08:15 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Will be interesting to see if his .
It is. You'll agree once you see him play live.

Garyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 09:36 PM
WhoisJohnGalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThreat View Post
Bust.
Assisted on the game winner in OT against Niagara.

Third star of the game against Owen Sound

WhoisJohnGalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 09:50 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoisJohnGalt View Post
Assisted on the game winner in OT against Niagara.

Third star of the game against Owen Sound
What he's saying is that he didn't score the game winning goal in OT against Niagara or was the third star of the game against Owen Sound so Sean Day is now a bust

Scarecrow Boat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 09:56 PM
WhoisJohnGalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tilander View Post
What he's saying is that he didn't score the game winning goal in OT against Niagara or was the third star of the game against Owen Sound so Sean Day is now a bust
If that is No Threats definition of a bust I think a lot of kids would not mind also being busts

Old
09-27-2013, 08:56 PM
jigglysquishy

vCash: 492
Already picked up 2 points in 3 games. How has he looked so far?

jigglysquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 11:34 PM
shello
@WShello9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
Already picked up 2 points in 3 games. How has he looked so far?
Other than a few small turnovers played great tonight. Really controlled the tempo for when he was on, slick passes, didn't really have any shots, but his rushing ability and the way he gets by people is absurdly good. Writing a post for a website today, so will post more later on.

shello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 11:43 PM
GuillaumeLetsundress
Formerly Pheramone

anyone have a clip or video of him in Miss. jersey and stuff? curious to see how he looks

GuillaumeLetsundress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 10:44 AM
WhoisJohnGalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by shello View Post
Other than a few small turnovers played great tonight. Really controlled the tempo for when he was on, slick passes, didn't really have any shots, but his rushing ability and the way he gets by people is absurdly good. Writing a post for a website today, so will post more later on.
I agree he had probably his best game so far. Picked up the physical play in his own end and handed out a couple of pretty good checks on the boards. He did get one pretty good scoring chance in the second period but the Bulls goalie made a great glove save up high to deny him.

Old
09-28-2013, 10:51 AM
WhoisJohnGalt

On the whole it looks like the team has a pretty good collection of players. The new additions look good so far. They are scoring enough goals and don't seem to give up late when they are down.
The one big hole is their PK, just not good at getting the puck out nor tangling up players standing in front of the net. Many of the PP goals they have given up have been from a player on top of the crease. Either they need to fix this fast or stop taking penalties