Michalek

Old
11-14-2006, 11:14 PM
XX
Lots of Try

vCash: 500
Michalek

Coyote Fan here

Just wondering, what did the Wild think of Michalek before they dealt him? How did he not make the squad? Curious, because he is our #1 and signed a killer deal. Furthering that, he has performed great on the international stage as well. Did Lemaire have a particular disdain for him?

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2006, 11:36 PM
ceber

He made some nice passes, but also made some pretty bad mistakes. Just didn't look that good in the preseason before the trade. To be honest, I don't think he's your #1 guy and I'm not as impressed with him as some seem to be, so I might have some bias. I did like his passing though.

ceber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2006, 11:52 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceber View Post
He made some nice passes, but also made some pretty bad mistakes. Just didn't look that good in the preseason before the trade. To be honest, I don't think he's your #1 guy and I'm not as impressed with him as some seem to be, so I might have some bias. I did like his passing though.
He was pretty brutal tonight, especially that giveaway right up the slot. But he is our #1 and theres no disputing that. Who do you think is better? Jovo? Morris? Anyways I don't know what happened with him but hes turned into a good player. Definitely not AHL fodder like we all had him pegged as. I think the word was that a scout that came from the Wild recommended Barnett trade for him. Know anything about that?

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 11:42 AM
ceber

I like Ballard.
Haven't heard anything about a scout suggesting the trade, but I'm not surprised. Michalek was kind of the odd kid out that season. Hard to believe he couldn't beat out some of the other D men we went with, but if you're going to play for Lemaire you better know when to pinch and when not to, and in a couple of preseason games it looked like Michalek had no clue about how that worked.

ceber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 12:23 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Michalek has been our best defenseman for the past two seasons. There is no debating that. He did have a bad game last night, however. I assure you, those are incredibly few and far between.

11-15-2006, 02:02 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

I am guessing perhaps Michalek just didn't fit Minny's defensive system. Some players can adjust, i think he's one of the ones who couldn't

Circulartheory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 04:42 PM
Rookie Chargers

Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
Maybe he is too light on the body for Jacques. I saw articles on him before the trade and thought he had something in him.

Rookie Chargers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 05:00 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROOKIE CHARGERS View Post
Maybe he is too light on the body for Jacques. I saw articles on him before the trade and thought he had something in him.
Michalek doesn't need to hit. In fact, I'm glad he doesn't. He wouldnt be nearly as effective if he did. He's like a Numminen or a Lidstrom, in that regard.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 11:49 AM
Pioneer13

Quote:
He was traded on August 26, which rules out any preseason games with the Wild. Unless you are going back to 03-04 where he played in 22 regular season games. I personally think he would have been a steal to hang onto. Instead we signed Scott Ferguson who lasted a month before going to the farm. Now we have Skoula who in my opinion brings nothing to the table that Michalek doesn't.

Of course that same off season we kept Daigle and cut Andrew Brunette loose. Bruno is now skating with a guy named Joe Sakic and lighting up the Wild each time he faces them and Daigle is playing across the pond. Which one can't play in the new NHL?

Pioneer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 12:27 PM
The Big E

I wasn't impressed with Michalek during his 22 game run. I am shocked by how well he's played in Phoenix. Maybe it was the wake-up call he needed. He showed nothing like what he's done in AZ.

Letting Brunette go and trading Michalek are Risebrough's only ****-ups as far as I can tell. On the balance sheet, its obvious (at least to me) that he's done a really good job ... and especially this season.

The Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 01:02 PM
Pioneer13

I agree that those are the only two major f-ups. He's done a nice job.

Impressed with Z or not, I think it's hard to argue that he was at the time (and is now) a better player than Scott Ferguson.

Pioneer13 is offline   Reply With Quote