HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Worst GA in the ENTIRE LEAGUE

View Poll Results: What is the biggest cause of the Flyers GA
Goaltending 4 10.26%
Defensemen 32 82.05%
Forwards D play 3 7.69%
Coaching 0 0%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-21-2006, 03:29 PM
Gert B Frobe

vCash: 500
Worst GA in the ENTIRE LEAGUE

What is the biggest cause of this utter debacle???

I'll cast the first vote for the awful goaltending.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 03:37 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
There's plenty of blame, but I've got to vote for the defense.

The goaltenders really struggle with stopping the puck, however the defense gives up plenty of odd-man rushes, they fail to clear the puck consistently and they just throw the puck through the center of the ice without looking to see if the opposing forwards are there. The forwards don't help clear the puck consistently, don't block shots enough, and need to do a better job of getting the puck out along the boards when the D can't clear.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 03:42 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth View Post
There's plenty of blame, but I've got to vote for the defense.

The goaltenders really struggle with stopping the puck, however the defense gives up plenty of odd-man rushes, they fail to clear the puck consistently and they just throw the puck through the center of the ice without looking to see if the opposing forwards are there. The forwards don't help clear the puck consistently, don't block shots enough, and need to do a better job of getting the puck out along the boards when the D can't clear.
i never cease to be baffled about our forwards not being on or below the guy up the wall... a CONSTANT problem on our clearing attempts.

i think it's impossible to evaluate our goalies... these guys are seeing shots from between the dots and lower on a REGULAR basis every night. those are high % shots and, not suprisingly, NHL shooters will bury them.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 04:08 PM
Arastiroth

It takes a whole team effort to be this bad, but I'd say the defense is the biggest problem as far as the goals allowed.

Arastiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 04:23 PM
Norm MacDonald

The goalies almost never come up big (Esche just sucks and the 1/10 rule is in effect for Niitty), but with the quality chances given up and the lack of effort on D, you can't really say that it's the goalies' fault. The team just looks bad, and an elite goaltender won't make the skaters look any better.

D

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 05:01 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
i never cease to be baffled about our forwards not being on or below the guy up the wall... a CONSTANT problem on our clearing attempts.
I agree with this post and will add that last night at least two and maybe three of the goals could have been stopped by better play by forwards. Nedved was most glaring on Gonchar's goal, which is why I think we didn't see much of him after that.

Of course bad defensive hockey teams are characterized by dominoes toppling each other - defensemen not playing well invites forwards to abandon their men and poor goaltending invites defensemen to try and blocks shots or otherwise do too much, goalies who don't trust their defense start to cheat or overcommit.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 05:01 PM
mikedifr

I vote for e) All of the above

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 05:03 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanguay40 View Post
It takes a whole team effort to be this bad, but I'd say the defense is the biggest problem as far as the goals allowed.
Agreed. It's all of the above.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 05:04 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Also it should be noted that a key component to good team defense is counterstrike capability and at this point the Flyers don't have any. Nothing stops opposing defensemen from pinching like getting burned on some odd man rushes the other way.

It's like the blitz in football - you can pick it up with blocking sometimes but the best way to defeat it is to burn it.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 09:07 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

No doubt, the defense.

I was saying before that part of the problem was the offense not scoring enough, because we've always been an offensive team, and if we could keep scoring we could hopefully hold them off. This isn't the case anymore. The offense is finally working but the defense is just collapsing and falls apart. The only way they'll fix this problem is getting rid of Hatcher and Rathje, and giving the young guys major experience this year.

Last edited by JLHockeyKnight: 11-22-2006 at 11:55 AM.
JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 10:27 AM
NJFlyer42

I'd say that this is the only area where they're playing as a team! All are to blame almost equally IMO. Odd man rushes, failure to clear the puck, no big saves, and I'll even throw in lack of offensive zone pressure. They are constantly on their heels which leads to more opportunities for the opponent and a higher GA.

NJFlyer42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 01:22 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
voted for the defense.
Rathje for starters needs to retire, hes got a bad back and is obviously playing in constant pain that will never go away,
Hatcher, wow what can be said that hasnt been said allready, hes what a -17 and has contributed NOTHING offensivly.
Pitkanen. I maintain that hes not the same player ever since that abdominal injury, will he be the same player again before the injury? I think he will, but right now NO. at least he has 14 assists.
Randy Jones. Im sorry but this guy flat out stinks. he only looks good because Rathje and Hatcher suck.
Denis Gauthier. he might have been our best defenseman before he got hurt, or should i say since Hitch left.
The rest. Meyer, Picard, Timonen ect. Meyer has taken a step back, Picard looks allright consitering everything and Timonen belongs in the AHL.

Yeah we all know a case can be made for the goaltending. especially with rebound Bob being the worst goalie in the NHL., and its beginning to look like Frank should say **** it and opt for the surgery now.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote