HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

UNB Varsity Reds Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
08-22-2013, 12:39 PM
VRedsRule

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cishockeyfan View Post
This is the question that worries me, while I myself have gone to about every UNB home game since 2002, the people I go with are on a rotating basis, this guy goes 75% of the time, this guy shows 25% of the time, my wife checks out 3-5 games a year, my father in law visits town and I take him to a weekend set etc etc, or on top of it all a night where all of us go.

So in Short even though I purchase UNB Season tickets every year, this will be the first year I wont be, not because I dont want to, but to guarantee i get to sit with friends and Family each game I will have to buy my tickets with them together (Another Pain actually before it didn't matter when or where we each bought our tickets we still sat together)

Good move on finally including the MJMG, and playoffs however if UNB makes a quick exit out of the playoffs or doesn't make the playoffs these passes suddenly are expensive. Not a Fan of reserved seating for UNB Hockey for Playoffs I would be, not regular season
100% in agreement. I have no problem with paying more for the "package" but the reserved seat troubles me as I often take my kids. And at $75 for a youth ticket, when it will only cost me $2 per game - I am not buying a youth season ticket.

Old
08-23-2013, 01:31 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

I see that UNB's schedule has been updated with an opponent for the Pete Kelley....STU. I hope there is more to it than that...maybe like a few years ago when they had STU/Toronto/Moncton (??) play a playoff.

Old
08-23-2013, 06:48 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
I see that UNB's schedule has been updated with an opponent for the Pete Kelley....STU.
What!?

Quote:

I hope there is more to it than that...maybe like a few years ago when they had STU/Toronto/Moncton (??) play a playoff.
Must be. I can't imagine them just sticking with an AUS opponent for two games. STU at that.

Old
08-26-2013, 10:11 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

I saw in today's paper that a the 'UNB Alumni Team' defeated the Saint John Sea Dogs Alumni on Saturday. Did I miss and ad or a posting about this? I would have gone to that had I known it was on - a bit more interesting than the Moncton/Halifax game (good 3 period, but I would have liked to have seen Hennigar and Trembley on the ice together again).

Old
09-01-2013, 12:37 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Anyone know when their first official practice is?

Old
09-03-2013, 06:54 AM
FreddtFoyle

First I heard of this. Former Oshawa General & Erie Otter J.P. Labardo (@Labardo13) has tweeted that he's off to Freddy Beach and UNB.

Old
09-04-2013, 07:03 AM
cishockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
First I heard of this. Former Oshawa General & Erie Otter J.P. Labardo (@Labardo13) has tweeted that he's off to Freddy Beach and UNB.
hmmm another very small sized sized recruit 5"8 and 170lbs

Old
09-05-2013, 10:58 AM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Nick MacNeil

Great story from the Edmonton Journal about Nick and UoA's Ben Lindemulder attending the Oilers Rookie camp back in early July.

[ Story Link ]

Last edited by Drummer: 09-05-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old
09-05-2013, 11:30 AM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Photos from UCup 2013

Found this site belonging to the Tournament Photographer - great pics.

[ Tournament Photo Gallery ]

Old
09-05-2013, 12:17 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

From a previous roster listing we have the following.

Tentative Roster

Forwards (13)
Houde-Caron - F
Braes - F
McNeil - F (Edmonton's Summer camp - not attending Fall Camp)
MacDougall - F
Critchlow - F
Carroll - F
Culligan - F
Nesbitt - F
* Mike Thomas - F
* Dylan Willick - F
* Cam Maclise - F (LA Kings Fall Rookie Camp)
* Philippe Halley - F (Phoniex Summer Camp - no word on Fall Camp)
* J.P. Labardo - F

Defense (7)
Shutron - D
Desnoyers - D
Robertson - D
Priamo - D
* Jordan Murray - D
* Keevin Cutting - D
* Matt Petgrave - D (Washington Caps Fall Rookie Camp)

Goal (2)
* Charles Lavigne - G
* Joel Vienneau - G

This totals 20 skaters with 2 spare spots for growth.

Can't afford to lose Maclise or Petgrave though.

The team is at 13 Forwards with the addition of J.P. Labardo. I'm not worried we'll score some goals - just not sure if we'll keep the puck out of our net. UNB is at the top in Team Defense with GA of 58(gold), 71, 43(gold), 56, 67(gold), 59(silver) & 92(gold) going back to 2006/7.

I'd like to see one more Dman on the list.

The last time we had three rookie D start a season was 2007/8 (Gallant, Madill & Aldred).
The last time we had four rookie D in a season was 2009/10 (Corcoran, Kidd, Shutron & Wright).

Old
09-06-2013, 04:44 PM
FreddtFoyle

I've just noticed that Dion Campbell will be playing minor pro this season with the Arizona Sundogs of the Central Hockey League. He'll be teammates with Jordan Clendenning and former Axeman Kevin Baker.

http://www.centralhockeyleague.com/p...x.html?id=9305

Also in the CHL, John-Scott Dickson re-signed in Missouri where he plays with former McGill captain Evan Vossen.

Jeff Lee is with Quad City.

Old
09-16-2013, 11:09 AM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Cam Maclise

Cam was on the LA Kings roaster for the trip to Phoenix, but he was a healthy scratch.

Old
09-16-2013, 04:08 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Anyone going to the game tonight...or know of any way we can follow along?

Old
09-17-2013, 05:33 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Matt Petgrave

I didn't find this over the weekend, but it appeared today - the Capitals released Matt on Saturday morning.

Old
09-17-2013, 07:16 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Hope to see him in the line-up on Friday night.

Anyone know if all of the other new guys played last night (minus Maclise obviously)?

Old
09-17-2013, 07:30 PM
SuperSquirrel

Quote:
Hope to see him in the line-up on Friday night.

Anyone know if all of the other new guys played last night (minus Maclise obviously)?
All of the new recruits played last night except for Maclise, Labardo and Halley. Maclise of course is still at the King's main camp. Labardo was there but didn't play. He was behind the bench with the coaching staff. Halley is no longer with the team as he has signed to play in the Coast.

Everyone else... Willick, Thomas, Petgrave, Cutting, Murray, and of course both goalies, played.

Old
09-17-2013, 07:55 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSquirrel View Post
Halley is no longer with the team as he has signed to play in the Coast.
First I've heard about this...man, first Duffy, then Ranford, and now Halley...their top recruits are dropping like flies this summer.

I had heard they passed on Beyers because they had Halley coming in...looks like that move backfired.

Old
09-17-2013, 10:39 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
First I've heard about this...man, first Duffy, then Ranford, and now Halley...their top recruits are dropping like flies this summer.

I had heard they passed on Beyers because they had Halley coming in...looks like that move backfired.
If you aim too high, you sometime miss.

It also didn't help that Kidd announced his departure late in the summer which hurt recruiting a big D man.

The 'Coast' isn't the 'show', so we could see him again this year (same as Wright & Desnoyers in their first years). This is also true of Ranford who only has a Try-out offer from the Stars-AHL club which could fall-through and put him in the Coast.

I don't see any news that Beyers has signed with anyone, he to could show-up. This could turn into an episode of Law & Order - the first player to call coach gets the deal (under the cap) and the rest will have to settle with going somewhere else.

Duffy is probably the only one with a good deal - and somewhat lucky that Hamilton needs bodies. However, if he falters or they are deep at Center - he to could show-up. He is currently (from what I can tell) still at the main Canadiens camp. eg. Colin Beardsmore was drafted by Detroit, sent to the AHL then to the Coast because they had 6 centers. He arranged for this contract to be bought out and came to UNB.

Maclise is the one I hope shows up - I think he could dominate in this league (MacNeill reach with Trembley scoring). I watched him in the LA/Anaheim rookie game a week ago. He's still with LA, but they have only announced their CHL re-assignments so far.

Injuries will become the main topic of concern when the season starts (for all AUS Teams). Even more of an impact if you don't have spare bodies (from last year; Denny-wrist, Kidd-Conc, Carroll-Upperbody). Teams will have injuries - you need spare guys. I think that is the main reason UdeM faltered last year - some of their big guns were out for most of the season and they were light on depth.

Last edited by Drummer: 09-17-2013 at 10:40 PM. Reason: grammer
Old
09-18-2013, 05:22 AM
Rob

Yeah, I am really holding my breath on Maclise. Will be really excited if he is on the roster before the opening game.

By the way, anyone heard any new info regarding the Pete Kelly tournament?

Old
09-20-2013, 03:33 PM
radapex

vCash: 128
Anyone know if there's any admission to the exhibition games this weekend, and if the canteen will be open?

Old
09-20-2013, 03:38 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by radapex View Post
Anyone know if there's any admission to the exhibition games this weekend, and if the canteen will be open?
I would have to think yes on both counts.

Old
09-21-2013, 07:08 AM
Rob

Excited to read that Cam MacLise has joined the team. Was nervous that he might have gone pro. Coach says he should be in the lineup tonight.

Also, MacNeil should be back next week from Edmonton.

Old
09-21-2013, 04:07 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Some thoughts:

- Lavigne with a shutout in his first full game with UNB....did he ever have one with STU?

- Good to hear MacNeil will be back next week. Is he at the Oilers camp? Didn't he play on Monday against Moncton? I expect a really big year from him as I thought he really elevated his game near the end of last year.

- Nesbitt/Carroll/Culligan look like they will make a formidable top line and with MacNeil/Braes/Willick/Critchlow/Maclise/Labardo the 2nd and 3rd lines should be dangerous as well. Although I could see MacNeil ending up on the top line instead of Nesbitt.

- Really, really liked the 4th line last night of Thomas/House-Caron/MacDougall...thought they played a really good game.

Old
09-22-2013, 05:09 AM
cishockeyfan

Unfortunately do to work commitments I was not able to attend either game against the Windsor Lancers, Can anyone give any comment on the UNB Rookies how they looked etc. Looks Like Thomas Nesbitt is off to a great start putting up a lot of points. Curious as to how Cam MaClise looked out there Saturday night

Old
09-22-2013, 05:43 AM
VRedsRule

Quote:
Originally Posted by cishockeyfan View Post
Unfortunately do to work commitments I was not able to attend either game against the Windsor Lancers, Can anyone give any comment on the UNB Rookies how they looked etc. Looks Like Thomas Nesbitt is off to a great start putting up a lot of points. Curious as to how Cam MaClise looked out there Saturday night
One man's opinion:

The three new D all look like great additions. Murray stood out to me, knowing when to jump into play, a nice shot and a solid build. Petgrave has soft hands and will help PP. Cutting a solid defensive presence.

Thomas looks like he will play a key role on checking unit. Physical presence.

Maclise looked okay, big frame. I am sure with a few days of practise he will look better.

Willick will be a good addition. Didn't jump out at me but that also means didn't do much wrong.

Labardo is small. Has speed but I don't see him at Salituro's skill level. It will be an adjustment for him this season.

Closed Thread