HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

O'Byrne/Bournival trade revisited

Old
09-22-2013, 12:53 AM
CrAzYNiNe

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Pre-season. I will reserve judgement for games that matter. However, kudos to Bournival for possibly working his way onto an NHL roster to start the season. I didn't see that coming.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 12:58 AM
LARGECAT DAMPHOUSSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP31 View Post
Lol I thought we traded Bournival
LOL me too, I forgot that O'Byrne was even our own player. So confused after Bournival's performance tonight

LARGECAT DAMPHOUSSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 01:26 AM
Ezpz
No mad pls

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
His game reminds me of Dominic Moore for some reasons.
He reminds me of Travis Moen when he was our leading goalscorer for like 10 games.

Ezpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 02:38 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLoyd Christmas I View Post
Not looking like the worst trade.

Bournival making it a case for himself.
OB plain sucked. It was impossible to lose a trade when you trade him away.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 09:39 AM
1UP

Well, if there is one guy that can force O'Byrne to get a mean streak, it's Roy.

Roy does not digest halfassed well.

In retrospect though, good trade.

1UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 09:41 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1UP View Post
Well, if there is one guy that can force O'Byrne to get a mean streak, it's Roy.

Roy does not digest halfassed well.

In retrospect though, good trade.
Just one problem though. O'Byrne now plays in the KHL.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 09:44 AM
Tuggy

It was a good trade at the time and it looks even better now. O'Byrne was so overrated just because he was big.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 09:46 AM
Cupmonger

LOL, gave me a heart attack. Thought we traded these two again and that we got back O'Byrne.

No idea how Bournival will end up, but he's looking good this year.

Cupmonger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 09:47 AM
1UP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Just one problem though. O'Byrne now plays in the KHL.
Oh really.

Wow, I missed that one.

(Is there an ashamed smiley?)

1UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 09:58 AM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 1549
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gal Pals View Post
I just love Bournival! I was so pissed when we didn't draft him this yr. This is a huge steal in my opinion. I remember this summer during the NHL Combine he was the fittest player and dominated in most of the the categories. The TSN article at the time said they were very impressed by him. He also happens to be a very smart kid in school. Straight A student type of guy so he definitely has his head screwed on right.
Love it when I'm right.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 10:07 AM
Danadiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1UP View Post
Oh really.

Wow, I missed that one.

(Is there an ashamed smiley?)
He also played in Toronto

Danadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 10:10 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
His game reminds me of Dominic Moore for some reasons.
I thought he looked like Pyatt before this preseason but it seems he's got a better shot/offensive touch. I can see the Moore comparison but Moore likes to carry the puck for long periods of time and great on faceoffs.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 10:23 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Looking not so bad is probably a better statement at this point.

Trading a 2nd round pick + 1st to move up a few spots in the late 1st round is perhaps better left unmentioned if we're looking at positives... Drafting is all Timmins + his staff.
Timmins scouts and tells Gauthier what he thinks of each guy. But Gauthier said when Timmins described Tinordi to him, and then he saw him for himself, he identified Tinordi as the guy he wanted.

Thus why they traded up. You don't trade up in the first unless the GM is about it.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 10:53 AM
Teufelsdreck

The much maligned Gauthier made at least as many good player personnel moves as bad ones. I liked his getting rid of Cammalleri in a favorable trade, getting value for Gill and AKost, enticing Emelin to leave the KHL, and bringing up Paciorettty and Subban (not to mention the O'Byrne trade). There were others. His choice of coaches wasn't so hot. The fact that the Habs finished 28th a year ago turned out to be lucky (no credit to Gauthier) although I always felt that they were a lot better than that.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 10:57 AM
Dagistitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
The much maligned Gauthier made at least as many good player personnel moves as bad ones. I liked his getting rid of Cammalleri in a favorable trade, getting value for Gill and AKost, enticing Emelin to leave the KHL, and bringing up Paciorettty and Subban (not to mention the O'Byrne trade). There were others. His choice of coaches wasn't so hot. The fact that the Habs finished 28th a year ago turned out to be lucky (no credit to Gauthier) although I always felt that they were a lot better than that.
Cammy trade was good. Getting rid of AK was dumb as hell IMO. Said he wanted to stay and would take a discount to do so. Good for 20 goals and a physical game, defensive game improved a lot under JM. Emelin came because he wanted to, Pac and Subban came up because they played good enough to deserve it.

Dagistitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 10:58 AM
Theosis
11, 27, 31, 67, 76 ♥

Geez. Thought we re-traded the players back to each other... Almost gave me a heart attack.

Theosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 10:58 AM
Dagistitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theosis View Post
Geez. Thought we re-traded the players back to each other... Almost gave me a heart attack.
Hahaha

Dagistitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 11:02 AM
CaptainIginla
The king is back

vCash: 515
Quote:
Looking not so bad is probably a better statement at this point.

Trading a 2nd round pick + 1st to move up a few spots in the late 1st round is perhaps better left unmentioned if we're looking at positives... Drafting is all Timmins + his staff.
Then why people praise Bergevin for Mccaron and co?

CaptainIginla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 11:08 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Timmins scouts and tells Gauthier what he thinks of each guy. But Gauthier said when Timmins described Tinordi to him, and then he saw him for himself, he identified Tinordi as the guy he wanted.

Thus why they traded up. You don't trade up in the first unless the GM is about it.
Be it Gauthier or any GM, if the head scout pushes for a player and vouches for them they trade up. Just have to watch the many draft behind the scenes/mic'd up shows from other NHL teams. IMO actually suggesting this as a feat for him puts Gauthier's tenure into perspective. The vast majority of his 'success' derives from TImmins and his amateur scouting crew that is still with the team for a reason. In terms of pro-scouting, what Gauthier was heavily in charge of, the results are mediocre at best with Cammalleri+Ramo/Bourque+2nd being the headliner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainIginla View Post
Who knows, Timmins is the director of scouting and he and his staff does the amateur scouting work. Even Bergevin has praised Timmins for it...makes no sense to praise the GM for drafting any of Galchenyuk/Pacioretty/Subban/McDonagh/Tinordi/Markov/Gallagher/Plekanec/etc on the team.

Last edited by Watsatheo: 09-22-2013 at 11:16 AM.
Old
09-22-2013, 11:18 AM
TennisMenace

LOL, nice to see this thread resurface. But, as of now, Bournival hasn't done squat for Habs. I'm waiting first.

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 11:20 AM
Lebowski

Quote:
Be it Gauthier or any GM, if the head scout pushes for a player and vouches for them they trade up. Just have to watch the many draft behind the scenes/mic'd up shows from other NHL teams. IMO actually suggesting this as a feat for him puts Gauthier's tenure into perspective. The vast majority of his 'success' derives from TImmins and his amateur scouting crew that is still with the team for a reason. In terms of pro-scouting, what Gauthier was heavily in charge of, the results are mediocre at best with Cammalleri+Ramo/Bourque+2nd being the headliner.

Who knows, Timmins is the director of scouting and he and his staff does the amateur scouting work. Even Bergevin has praised Timmins for it...makes no sense to praise the GM for drafting any of Galchenyuk/Pacioretty/Subban/McDonagh/Tinordi/Markov/Gallagher/Plekanec/etc on the team.
Mediocre at best? Being able to get value for a ridiculously overpaid Cammalleri is good in itself. I'm not saying that to defend Gauthier, but the Cammy trade wasn't one of his bad moves.

Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 11:20 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainIginla View Post
Well they are wrong if they do. Head scouts and scouts know who those guys are. GM count on his head scout to tell him how great he thinks that or this pick is in order to make a move.

So in an event where a GM moves up and deals to pick a player, praise the GM for moving up.....but praise the head scout for the actual pick.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 11:39 AM
Plante

I read this and my heart sank.

Read it all wrong.

So relieved.

Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 11:46 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
Mediocre at best? Being able to get value for a ridiculously overpaid Cammalleri is good in itself. I'm not saying that to defend Gauthier, but the Cammy trade wasn't one of his bad moves.
Indeed, it was arguably his best move. As of today, it is still mediocre at best.

The 'ridiculously overpaid' Cammalleri still doing what is ultimately expected from him - put up points. He has 24 goals/ 51 points in 72 games with the Flames and likely will be traded this deadline for at least a 2nd round pick just based on his playoff history and expiring contract.

Bourque has 3 more years left on his deal and has 12 goals/21 points in 65 games + equally inconsistent not only in terms of scoring but physical play/engagement.

Ramo (penciled in as Flames starter) / 2nd (Fucale) is a wash right now. Tough to predict how this will pan out and frankly not the key parts of the deal. Plus points for Gauthier for getting a 2nd that ended up being in the 30s. Plus points for Gauthier for getting Ramo in the first place.

That's where I'd give credit. Cammy/Bourque swap? I think people are overrating Bourque's value to the team and underrating Cammy's abilities while overstating his 'cancer' traits.

Old
09-22-2013, 11:56 AM
Jakomyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
It was a good trade at the time and it looks even better now. O'Byrne was so overrated just because he was big.
Luckily, this fan base is no longer obsessed with size.

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote