HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Joe Thornton's next contract?

Old
09-21-2013, 07:45 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDanceOfMaternity View Post
Thornton will definitely be kept for whatever he wants barring absurdity. It's Marleau that I'm a tiny bit worried about.
There is less of a chance of Marleau not signing in SJ than there is Thornton. Thornton will sign first (simply because his agent is so easy to work with and Marleau's just passed away) and then Marleau will sign an almost identical contract to his but a couple 100K less per year. Marleau will never play anywhere else. And Boyle wants to retire here. The only one of the big 4 UFAs I was worried about leaving was Pavelski, but now that he's locked up DW can do whatever he wants.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 07:58 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
There is less of a chance of Marleau not signing in SJ than there is Thornton.
Absolutely.

Quote:
Thornton will sign first (simply because his agent is so easy to work with and Marleau's just passed away) and then Marleau will sign an almost identical contract to his but a couple 100K less per year. Marleau will never play anywhere else.
I bet you're right. About 6.5 M per for three to four years.

Quote:
And Boyle wants to retire here. The only one of the big 4 UFAs I was worried about leaving was Pavelski, but now that he's locked up DW can do whatever he wants.
I disagree. Boyle may want to retire in SJ but with Marleau and Thornton needing signing, I can only see Boyle returning if hs signs for significantly less money than he could get on the open market and/or there's widespread confidence in a huge salary cap jump for the following season. Boyle is the odd man out, imo, certainly the least likely to re-sign of the three UFAs.

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 08:07 PM
Henkka

Hopefully both will sign an extension. That will seal the deal that Sharks aren't going anywhere in the next 4 years.

Henkka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 08:56 PM
TheDanceOfMaternity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
Hopefully both will sign an extension. That will seal the deal that Sharks aren't going anywhere in the next 4 years.
Well if they come cheap and you add to that couture pavs vlasic and niemi in their prime years that might not be totally true.

TheDanceOfMaternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 09:24 PM
tmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
wow, talk about a lucky break for SJ

As long as they sign him before July 2nd, it won't be a 35+ contract
It absolutely doesn't matter when they sign him (so long as it is a contract slated to start in 2014-15 season; IE he doesn't completely take the 14-15 year off without contract and seek a contract that starts in 2015-16 instead). They could sign his next contract today, they could sign it in October 2014, and in either case it will be a contract that doesn't trigger the 35+ special conditions.

CBA 50.5 (d) (B) (5) (pg 263-264)

All Player Salary and Bonuses earned in a League Year by
a Player who is in the second or later year of a multi-year
SPC which was signed when the Player was age 35 or older
(as of June 30 prior to the League Year in which the SPC is
to be effective
),

Last edited by tmg: 09-21-2013 at 09:29 PM.
tmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 09:53 PM
NHL Fanatik

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayP812 View Post
The only way I could see him leaving San Jose is if the Sharks are not contenders and the organization is not willing to pay up. Both are unlikely to happen. He signs a 3 year deal, probably taking a bit of a pay cut, as he has admitted it is Couture's team.
Although Thornton may have said that, I feel like it's more Niemi's team

NHL Fanatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 09:55 PM
Brent Burns
TROTZTROTZTROTZTROTZ

Dude will retire a Shark

Brent Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 09:58 PM
sjshark91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
Why would they re-locate a team that sells out every game?

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 10:23 PM
ThankYouBasedGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshark91 View Post
Why would they re-locate a team that sells out every game?
I'm guessing when he says that he is talking about going no where in the play-offs.

ThankYouBasedGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 11:12 PM
slappipappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
There is less of a chance of Marleau not signing in SJ than there is Thornton. Thornton will sign first (simply because his agent is so easy to work with and Marleau's just passed away) and then Marleau will sign an almost identical contract to his but a couple 100K less per year. Marleau will never play anywhere else. And Boyle wants to retire here. The only one of the big 4 UFAs I was worried about leaving was Pavelski, but now that he's locked up DW can do whatever he wants.
Bringing Thorton, Marleau and Boyle back is just an attempt to make SJ look like Calgary.

If you can't win with those players in their prime, you can't win with them as they regress.

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 11:56 PM
DrewRemendasBaldHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by slappipappi View Post
Bringing Thorton, Marleau and Boyle back is just an attempt to make SJ look like Calgary.

If you can't win with those players in their prime, you can't win with them as they regress.
You can win with them while they regress if you also have good young players, which the Sharks do have.

DrewRemendasBaldHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 01:21 AM
DuckEatinShark
GET ALL THE PPs!!!!

Thornton, Marleau and maybe Boyle will all retire as Sharks. Players who have been on a team for so long and are treated well by the organization usually stick around until the end of their careers.

I don't see Thornton, Marleau or Boyle pulling a Modano or Alfredsson but I could be wrong.

DuckEatinShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 01:38 AM
BayStreetBullies*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckEatinShark View Post
Thornton, Marleau and maybe Boyle will all retire as Sharks. Players who have been on a team for so long and are treated well by the organization usually stick around until the end of their careers.

I don't see Thornton, Marleau or Boyle pulling a Modano or Alfredsson but I could be wrong.
Modano and Alfredsson spent almost their entire careers with one team. The only one out of those 3 Sharks players whom that scenario applies to is Marleau.

BayStreetBullies* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 01:46 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
I disagree. Boyle may want to retire in SJ but with Marleau and Thornton needing signing, I can only see Boyle returning if hs signs for significantly less money than he could get on the open market and/or there's widespread confidence in a huge salary cap jump for the following season. Boyle is the odd man out, imo, certainly the least likely to re-sign of the three UFAs.
Well, that's sorta my point. DW may not want Boyle back (and I'm on the fence about it) but Boyle definitely wants to be back. DW has all the control here; all three of Thornton, Marleau, and Boyle want to re-sign, so DW can pick and choose.

Quote:

Iginla was never as good as Thornton. And Calgary never had Burns, Pavelski, Couture, Vlasic, Braun, or even prospects as good as Hertl, Nieto, Mueller, or Hamilton. The only people concerned that SJ will become Calgary are people who don't know much of anything about the org.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 10:40 AM
Brent Burns
TROTZTROTZTROTZTROTZ

I can actually see Thornton and Marleau taking less money so the Sharks can re-sign Boyle

Brent Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 02:03 AM
FeedingFrenzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckEatinShark View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Burns View Post
I can actually see Thornton and Marleau taking less money so the Sharks can re-sign Boyle
agree

JT 5yr/29m(6.5,6.5,6.0,5.0,5.0)5.8AAV still "C" and highest $$ for 2 more yrs

PM 5yr/28.5(6.3,6.2,6.0,5.0,5.0) 5.7AAV

Boyle 3yr/15m(6,5,4)

FeedingFrenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 02:16 AM
KirbyDots

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedingFrenzy View Post
agree

JT 5yr/29m(6.5,6.5,6.0,5.0,5.0)5.8AAV still "C" and highest $$ for 2 more yrs

PM 5yr/28.5(6.3,6.2,6.0,5.0,5.0) 5.7AAV

Boyle 3yr/15m(6,5,4)
Jumbo likes 3 year deals. I do think Patty and he will take less to stay on the Sharks. I think Boyle gets resigned too but only 2 years max.

KirbyDots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 02:27 AM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggestLeafsFanEVER View Post
Jumbo Joe's a UFA at the end of the year. Unless a Sharks fan wants to educate me, I'm assuming they will want to keep him if they can.

I was looking on cap geek and noticed that his birthday is July 2, 1979 (so he will turn 35 this year)...so I guess this next contract will be a 35+ contract?

His current AAV is $7m so I would guess he won't insist on that again. At the same time, he is still a fantastic player (and is currently playing at a very high level, especially when you consider his age). I looked up his numbers on Elite Prospects and noticed (I hadn't picked up on this before) that he plays almost all the games every year, he doesn't seem injury prone.

So what is in Thornton's contract future?
Err, No. To be a 35+ contract Joe would have to hit age 35 by June 30th of 2014.

With a birthday of July 2nd he'll be considered age 34 when signing his next contract whether that's with San Jose or any other team.

mouser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 07:26 AM
slappipappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewRemendasBaldHead View Post
You can win with them while they regress if you also have good young players, which the Sharks do have.

I agree that the Sharks have brought in a few decent young players including some interesting defencemen, but the Sharks are seriously short of elite prospects and paying regressing players big bucks will simply leave them "depth short".

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 09:02 AM
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking

Quote:
I agree that the Sharks have brought in a few decent young players including some interesting defencemen, but the Sharks are seriously short of elite prospects and paying regressing players big bucks will simply leave them "depth short".
Sharks as a whole never really had many if any "sexy" prospects. They've always had some pretty good prospects--except roughly 2007-2011--that have become good NHL players though and that's what's going on right now with the Sharks prospect pool. So I'm gonna disagree with you on the lack of depth going forward.

hohosaregood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 09:38 AM
Ser Jorah Mormont
Lord Friendzone

3 years at 6, 5.5 and 5 million for the years.

Ser Jorah Mormont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 09:49 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
The other option for San Jose in that is to let the regressing players go. The issue with that is there is a lack of replacements for them. They can't go out and get a free agent because that's not their game and they don't have many elite prospects. So they don't really have an option but to either re-sign what they have or make a trade but without very many expendable assets, you're left with more or less the same results as you would by just keeping them and hoping your drafting abilities get something for you...like Tomas Hertl and maybe Mirco Mueller or Matt Nieto.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote