HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Cap room trade question

Old
11-22-2006, 01:05 PM
Rather Gingerly 1*

vCash: 500
Cap room trade question

Habs have a little cap room. Any chance we could pick up an extra #1 draft pick if we take on salary. Like san jose did with Malakhov? Say Gerber and Ottawa's #1 to Montreal for next to nil. Then trade Abs for a #1 also or part of a blockbuster(for Forsberg)?

Rather Gingerly 1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 01:10 PM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rather Gingerly 1 View Post
Habs have a little cap room. Any chance we could pick up an extra #1 draft pick if we take on salary. Like san jose did with Malakhov? Say Gerber and Ottawa's #1 to Montreal for next to nil. Then trade Abs for a #1 also or part of a blockbuster(for Forsberg)?
I think Ottawa would rather just keep him as backup then give up a 1st rounder. The only way you'd get that are for teams in serious trouble like Jersey was. I don't think anyone is really in that perdicament at the moment but maybe something will come up later.

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 01:10 PM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
Quote:
Why would you want to help out a strong team like Ottawa who is a division rival get rid a of a overpaid struggling goalie. Ottwa will not remain in the bottom of this division and conference for very long. The Gerber contract will hinder Ottawa's chances of significantly improving their lineup just like Theodore did when he was here. Ottawa's 1st overall pick will be a mid pick at best 15 to 20 no better then that. Ottawa is a very strong team don't think that pick will be a top 10.

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 01:11 PM
Habitants

Quote:
can i get your dealer's number?

habs have less than 2mil in cap space, there is no way we make any deal like that!
for that matter there is no way we deal for gerber!

that type of deal does exist, but pls do not use the malkaov deal as an example, because that deal was just a sham! malakov is retired and all otehr players in that deal play in europe

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 01:16 PM
Rather Gingerly 1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitants View Post

habs have less than 2mil in cap space, there is no way we make any deal like that!

that type of deal does exist, but pls do not use the malkaov deal as an example, because that deal was just a sham! malakov is retired and all otehr players in that deal play in europe
If we move Abs it would make up the cap difference. What is the difference between Gerber or Abs. Both are struggling backups. But the extra first rounder with Timmins drafting???

Rather Gingerly 1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 01:16 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitants View Post

The Malakhov deal is the right example. I think RG wants to know if a team is looking to dump a player that we may not want, can we take the salary along with a perk to help out that team.

The answer imo, is no, we don't have enough room,imo. The Malakhov sitauation was extreme because it wasn't just cap relief, it was shedding salary to be able to sign enough players to actually ice a full team. That's rare though.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 02:26 PM
Stan

Quote:
If we move Abs it would make up the cap difference. What is the difference between Gerber or Abs. Both are struggling backups. But the extra first rounder with Timmins drafting???
I wouldn't describe Abby as a struggling goaltender. Huet is just playing better...and better overall IMO. Abby has value, we're not just going to give him away. It annoys me when people are ready to sell our players down the river for nothing. We're not even struggling. It's amazing.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 04:28 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
I wouldn't describe Abby as a struggling goaltender. Huet is just playing better...and better overall IMO. Abby has value, we're not just going to give him away. It annoys me when people are ready to sell our players down the river for nothing. We're not even struggling. It's amazing.
I don't think anyone was suggesting moving Abby for nothing. I think the idea of this topic is methods to stockpile picks for the upcoming draft. I personally love the idea of dealing UFA talent for picks, assuming we're in a situation to do it (player won't be re-signed, team isn't 2nd-playoff-round calibre).
The best way to build a team is from within.

11-22-2006, 05:25 PM
Kruky

You moust be a Sens fan in disguise. Or your really stone on acid or something.

Why in hell would we want to help out Ottawa by picking a mini Jose Theodort?

Kruky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 05:37 PM
Squeaky

Only 5 teams in the league have less cap space than the habs. With Niinimaa around, the habs only have 1,055,676 (that's an estimate) in projected cap space.

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote