HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mason Raymond will attend TOR camp

Old
09-22-2013, 01:13 PM
jrgtml67

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooncesmeow View Post
How? This isn't mid season and the Leafs don't look like they'll be playoff favorites. I figured this was a Frattin-replacement with more skill. Raymond has looked good imo but after him signing this team will be 1M leftover to get Franson signed otherwise the D won't look that great, and even then..next year 34M to sign a lot of core players.
I agree we gave raymond a PTO to see what he could do and be frattins replacement with more experience and skill. But when it comes to signing him Nonis said last night there would be moves made if necessary to they could sign mason and franson. I have a feeling Liles is gone, he has played 1 exhibition game and is healthy every other player has played 2 games, and Lupul doesnt count becuz they are taking precautions because of his back

jrgtml67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 01:14 PM
jrgtml67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
Nonis has lost a fourth and a few second round picks and received a goalie with huge potential and a center who was elite at what he does not-so-long-ago. I think the point however is that gone are the days of JFJ dealing everything we have for guys like Toskala,Raycroft etc. The first rounders are the one's to covet.
Nonis did not get brown steckel or lambo Burke did

Old
09-22-2013, 01:17 PM
jrgtml67

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
If you can stomach an incredibly soft player, Raymond can actually be a very good top 9 forward. I guess Im happy to see him catch on with you guys..
its only preseason but he is far from soft...and he doesnt need to be gritty anyway...he is a lesser Kessel...we need his speed and offensive potential so we have more balanced scoring...we have Orr and Mclaren to fight and I could see Broll or Devane making the team in Mclarens spot while he gets better from his broken finger

Old
09-22-2013, 01:19 PM
shakes
Pep City

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgtml67 View Post
I agree we gave raymond a PTO to see what he could do and be frattins replacement with more experience and skill. But when it comes to signing him Nonis said last night there would be moves made if necessary to they could sign mason and franson. I have a feeling Liles is gone, he has played 1 exhibition game and is healthy every other player has played 2 games, and Lupul doesnt count becuz they are taking precautions because of his back
Yeh, it seems like they are protecting Liles from injury so they can trade him.

shakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 01:19 PM
jrgtml67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsin2014 View Post
You're assuming all of those guys will be re-signed. I wouldn't be surprised if management takes a hard look at Phaneuf and considers not signing him to an outrageous amount. This is not a "bash Dion" post and I do like him, but he is not worth 7M, not even close. It might be time to give the big minutes to our younger D talent coming up, along term investment in Dion means less ice time for Gardiner, Rielly, in the future.
I agree and also in addition Phaneuf is ok with talking contract during the season, Kessel said he is not SO if you go on that there is greater chance they sign Phaneuf first (maybe a huge mistake) when I saw Kessel talking to media about not wanting to talk during the reg season it looked like he wanted to test UFA

Old
09-22-2013, 01:24 PM
jrgtml67

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakes View Post
Yeh, it seems like they are protecting Liles from injury so they can trade him.
before camp even began, actually even during the draft there was talk of liles leaving...we have jake and morgan (if he sticks in NHL this yr) as PMD we need Franson more since he is a stay at home type and he has size and a howitzer as well; if Randy wants Raymond Nonis will get it done and sign him. Thankfully as well many of the powerhouse teams or currently over the cap or just as close as we are so its up to Randy now..Nonis said yesterday he likes him and its up to the coach

Also with how he played with Kessel and Bozak last night I almost started thinking...maybe leave him there OR PP line more likely a PP line combo...two speedsters and Bozak can dish to them all night long and so can Jake. Even put him on a line with Lupul Kadri ..ya I know Clarksons supposed to be there im just sayin that could work as well.

Old
09-22-2013, 01:52 PM
leafs1habs0
Burn the Boats

Quote:
before camp even began, actually even during the draft there was talk of liles leaving...we have jake and morgan (if he sticks in NHL this yr) as PMD we need Franson more since he is a stay at home type and he has size and a howitzer as well; if Randy wants Raymond Nonis will get it done and sign him. Thankfully as well many of the powerhouse teams or currently over the cap or just as close as we are so its up to Randy now..Nonis said yesterday he likes him and its up to the coach

Also with how he played with Kessel and Bozak last night I almost started thinking...maybe leave him there OR PP line more likely a PP line combo...two speedsters and Bozak can dish to them all night long and so can Jake. Even put him on a line with Lupul Kadri ..ya I know Clarksons supposed to be there im just sayin that could work as well.
With all the power RC has on personnel decisions, you would think he might as well take Nonis' job too.

leafs1habs0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 02:07 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Liles demotion to the Marlies saves the Leafs $925k off his contract creating that similar additional cap space, and not so coincidentally is also the rumoured amount that Raymond has apparently agreed to in principle if he is signed by Toronto.

Therefore creating space for him seems rather obvious.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 03:11 PM
ponder

Trading Liles (even if we have to sweeten the deal a bit), then signing Franson and Raymond is definitely the way to go. Something along these lines should be our opening day roster:

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson
Raymond - Bolland - Kulemin
*undecided* - McClement - Orr

Phaneuf - Gunnarsson
Gardiner - Franson
Ranger - Fraser

Bernier/Reimer

Last edited by ponder: 09-22-2013 at 03:17 PM.
ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 06:43 PM
Wami
Chicken Lyfe'

Just a thought here that crossed my mind and feel free to shoot me down and tell me I'm stupid...

Is Raymond playing, perhaps, too well? Scrolling up on this topic and from things I've read it appears he is looking for around ~ 1 mil, but does his play in this preseason possibly open up the potential for him to get larger offers from other teams, making it harder for us to sign him?

Is he necessarily a lock for Toronto, or is he potentially playing himself out of our budget and into the hands of another team that could offer him more?

Just a (probably irrelevant) thought

Wami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 09:11 PM
Soth

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soth View Post
People love to throw the word soft around on players who are not hulking fighters.

MayRay is a very strong penalty killer - imo that means he is NOT soft. He isnt going to drop the gloves and fight, but who the heck would expect him to?

People in Vancouver turned on mayray last year, and I just scratched my head and wondered why. After his back injury he had a bad season - but that kind of injury takes time to recover from.

I still think not resigning Mayson was a mistake by the Canucks. This guy is worth 2 mill so if you get him for 925k then you are getting a bargain.
Glad MayRay is working out for you guys. I honestly could not believe he did not get an offer to play for 2 mill + from someone. He is a solid player, hope you're all enjoying him.

Soth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 09:15 PM
SteveV*

New title or new thread on Raymond please, this one is hilarious at this point.. Hope he looks good in camp, who knows maybe he gets a contract. I predict he makes the team and looks awesome in his first three games

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote