HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-2014 Rangers pre-season discussion

Closed Thread

Old
09-22-2013, 12:35 PM
stonedge

vCash: 500
I could see Hank's save % dipping. AV mobilizes his defense and it lead to more odd man rushes against than for pretty much every night for a few seasons. Luongo and Schneider were left exposed very often. I see the 2 d corps being quite similar although the nucks being a few years older now.

That being said, with Vigneault liking players to play a defined role, who gets the bulk of the O-zone starts from the Dmen?

Old
09-22-2013, 01:07 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonedge View Post
I could see Hank's save % dipping. AV mobilizes his defense and it lead to more odd man rushes against than for pretty much every night for a few seasons. Luongo and Schneider were left exposed very often. I see the 2 d corps being quite similar although the nucks being a few years older now.

That being said, with Vigneault liking players to play a defined role, who gets the bulk of the O-zone starts from the Dmen?
I dunno, seems like the Rangers managed to give up a lot of odd man rushes or breakaways even under Torts. I'd be interested in seeing stats on that compared to other teams in the league (like Vancouver)

e: good question on the defensemen, I feel like he wants to bring out more offense in McDonagh, but still might see Staal and Del Zotto getting more O zone starts.

Old
09-22-2013, 01:16 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Might end up with a few more odd man rushes against but he'll also see more of the shots from the points.

Old
09-22-2013, 01:58 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Being passive in the defensive zone was one of our downfalls under Torts. Being more aggressive in our zone will help keep the point men from killing us (Krug).

09-22-2013, 02:11 PM
stonedge

Point shots rarely seemed to be the issue in van, it was always rebounds or the open guy down low. Once again, coaching philosophies seem completely opposite. So is it set with girardi/mcdonagh and mdz/staal or is AV tinkering?

Old
09-22-2013, 02:29 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni View Post
Being passive in the defensive zone was one of our downfalls under Torts. Being more aggressive in our zone will help keep the point men from killing us (Krug).
ahahah ****ing Krug. Rangers managed to make him look like an all-star with their system. Teams definitely figured out Torts' shot blocking system last year and it just didn't work nearly as well

Old
09-22-2013, 02:59 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Henrik Lundqvist is scheduled to play the complete game in his second appearance of the preseason. He allowed one goal on 15 shots in 30:44 in the Rangers’ preseason opener, a 2-1 loss at New Jersey on Monday. Lundqvist is also scheduled to play the complete game Thursday at Vancouver.

Here’s the game group for tomorrow:

Forwards: Brandon Mashinter, Marek Hrivik, Taylor Pyatt, Chris Kreider, Darroll Powe, Brian Boyle, Brad Richards, Oscar Lindberg, Arron Asham, Rick Nash, Jasper Fast and Danny Kristo.

Defensemen: Michael Del Zotto, Marc Staal, Justin Falk, Anton Stralman, Stu Bickel and John Moore.
http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/r...ow_at_calgary/

Old
09-22-2013, 03:01 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Kreider-Richards-Nash
Pyatt-Lindberg-Fast
Hrivik-Boyle-Kristo
Mashinter-Powe-Asham

Staal-Del Zotto
Moore-Stralman
Falk-Bickel

Lundqvist

Old
09-22-2013, 03:03 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Krug looked like Brian Leetch of 1992 in the Rangers series. The Leetch before shoulder injury in 1992-93.

Old
09-22-2013, 04:28 PM
eco's bones

Can't get enough of Darroll Powe--he's three for three so far.

Old
09-22-2013, 04:34 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The link to the Hockey Night Live Rangers preview. Maloney makes the comment about the Rangers being "unwatchable" in the view of upper management at 4:30.

http://www.msg.com/videos/index.html?vid=2407803479

Old
09-22-2013, 05:27 PM

Hi Rangers fans. How is Danny Kristo doing? I was very pissed when our GM traded him away for Thomas.

Old
09-22-2013, 05:56 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
Hi Rangers fans. How is Danny Kristo doing? I was very pissed when our GM traded him away for Thomas.
McDonaugh is great.

Old
09-22-2013, 06:01 PM
Dactyl

do what are the odds that lindberg makes the team? i really like this prospect. he will easily be a better player than werek.

Old
09-22-2013, 06:07 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Powe is being used in the middle. His wingers have been bubble players like Asham and minor league players.

Boyle with Hrivik and Kristo. Boyle is playing with players who haven't played a single NHL game.

Pyatt with Lindberg and Fast. Same thing as Boyle.

Moore played with Dorsett in the scrimmage and in one game last week.

The other players have been paired with NHL players.

Kreider-Richards-Nash
Pouliot-Brassard-Zuccarello
-Moore-Dorsett

No Stepan,Callahan and Hagelin

Old
09-22-2013, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
McDonaugh is great.

**** you Bob Gainey.

Old
09-22-2013, 07:55 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

I like to watch winning. I consider the 0-effort country club squads the Rangers have iced far more "unwatchable" than any period of hockey we saw last season.

Hopefully we get to see as much, if not more Ranger wins this season.

09-22-2013, 08:03 PM
nyrpassion
Vetted.

Aaaa I've been completely disregarding the Rangers and HFNYR, I'm in full football/GTA mode right now. Miss you guys haha

Old
09-22-2013, 08:29 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
He was terrific at the Traverse City prospects tournament. He has been good in camp. Not great, but solid. I'd say at this point he's likely ticketed to start in Hartford, though a couple good games could change that.

How has Thomas looked?

It's just pain.
Old
09-22-2013, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
He was terrific at the Traverse City prospects tournament. He has been good in camp. Not great, but solid. I'd say at this point he's likely ticketed to start in Hartford, though a couple good games could change that.

How has Thomas looked?
Thanks!

I wish I could tell you but I haven't had the chance to watch him. Working 5 to 11 sucks.

Old
09-22-2013, 10:08 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Thanks!

I wish I could tell you but I haven't had the chance to watch him. Working 5 to 11 sucks.
That's why they created the DVR.

Old
09-23-2013, 06:34 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
I like to watch winning. I consider the 0-effort country club squads the Rangers have iced far more "unwatchable" than any period of hockey we saw last season.

Hopefully we get to see as much, if not more Ranger wins this season.
I agree. The 11-12 team was a blast to watch for me. Last year's team not that much. Watching the Rangers D frustrating the **** out of other teams did not bother me at all.

Old
09-23-2013, 07:00 AM
Blue Blooded

vCash: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonedge View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I dunno, seems like the Rangers managed to give up a lot of odd man rushes or breakaways even under Torts. I'd be interested in seeing stats on that compared to other teams in the league (like Vancouver)

e: good question on the defensemen, I feel like he wants to bring out more offense in McDonagh, but still might see Staal and Del Zotto getting more O zone starts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
Might end up with a few more odd man rushes against but he'll also see more of the shots from the points.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni View Post
Tyler Dellow posted a study on 2013 shot blocking yesterday which had an interesting observation regarding the Rangers.

The Rangers blocked the highest percentage of shot attempts in the league, hardly surprising.

However, they were below average at blocking shots from opposing defencemen (low-% shots, ~4% of those that hit the target go in) but by far the best at blocking shots from forwards (high-% shots).

So while I'm happy to see the strategy go as it destroyed our transition game, it probably boosted Hank's Sv% by shifting the ratio between high- and low-% shots to the lower end.

Old
09-23-2013, 10:13 AM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

http://blueshirtsunited.com/videos/3...y#.UkBZcRYmbww

Dom Moore behind the scenes at media day.

Yes, he drops a "forgetaboutit"

Old
09-23-2013, 10:17 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Sent: Sep 23, 2013 11:14a

J.T. Miller, who hasn't played this preseason, on left side of DMoore and Dorsett. So perhaps he plays in Edmonton #NYR

sent via Twitter for iPhone
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/stevezipay/status/382161015070142464

Closed Thread