HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers ink Staios to four-year extension

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-21-2006, 11:09 PM
  #26
Dr_Hook
Registered User
 
Dr_Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,259
vCash: 500
Well I remember at the very beginning of training camp, Rivet mentionning that he'd like very much to get an extension with the club cause he'd love to stay put, and not have to worry about his contract situation during the year; maybe those talks never happened or did not go the way he had hoped, hence the quote from TSN that may or may not be his

I too think that the Staios deal is a good comparable: they're close to the same age, both bring limited offense but good hard play. The lenght will dictate how much Rivet gets: I'd be more comfortable with a 3 yr deal and I'd be willing to put out close to 9 big ones on the table : how about 2,9 + 2,8 + 2,7 = 8,4 for 3yrs ? maybe a couple extra grands more, if it came to that...

but 4 yrs seems a bit long for a guy that age who is "skatingly-challenged"

Dr_Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 11:14 PM
  #27
Bill McNeal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,321
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
McGuire said the other night that he spoke with one of the 3 UFA d-men on the Habs (wouldn't say which one) and he said "I've never been a UFA before, this is my first chance and I'd like to see what I'm worth on the free market"

I don't think it was Markov...And to be honest, I get the feeling it's Rivet.
Well, it's pretty safe to assume it's not Markov unless McGuire is very talented at reading facial expressions.

It also doesn't sound like Souray, which kind of scares me because of the 3 I thought the most likely to actually want to stay would be Rivet.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 11:44 PM
  #28
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,453
vCash: 500
the sad part is that we are most likely going to lose one of souray, markov and rivet for sure... maybe 2 of them

Priority wise, rivet's is 3rd in the pecking order IMO in terms of the d-men.

i dont know how many UFA d-men are in store for kevin lowe this year but Gainey's situation is complicated by the fact that he has to walk a fine line where he doesn't lose the bidding war on a guy like markov due to an "x" amount of money that went into rivet's deal.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 12:31 PM
  #29
westcoast habsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 848
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
McGuire said the other night that he spoke with one of the 3 UFA d-men on the Habs (wouldn't say which one) and he said "I've never been a UFA before, this is my first chance and I'd like to see what I'm worth on the free market"

I don't think it was Markov...And to be honest, I get the feeling it's Rivet.

It's Souray. Rivet passed up a U.F.A. opportunity when he signed the contract that is now expiring at the end of this year. In fact, I can still hear the complaints from people that the Habs gave him too much to forego unrestricted free agency (I believe Houle signed him). Souray has never been a U.F.A.

Anyways, Red Fisher of the Montreal Gazette, in his notebook a few days ago, wrote that Rivet will likely resign with the team since he has a lot of friends in Montreal and isn't interested in leaving. He also said Souray will test unrestricted free agency next year and go to the highest bidder (so much for the "he wants to be on the west coast theory"). Red had no idea what Markov's plans are. I'll take Red's opinion over McGuire's anyday on anything.

If Habs outbid other teams for Souray's services then he could return here. I think his range right now is Pavel Kubina territory, who signed a 4-year $20 million contract with Toronto (a straight $5 m per year). However, depending on how the rest of the season goes he could get McCabe money, $5.75 m per.

However, it also depends on who is doing the buying, and how much money is available. The cap may not be going up next year which could severely limit the money available to free agents. Next year's class may find out that money isn't as freely available, especially with so many teams already close to the cap and committed to long term contracts (an example, Tampa Bay, a team that could use Souray but won't be able to afford him. There are a lot of teams in this same predicament.).

When I heard of the Staios deal I also thought, well, that's what Rivet signs for then. They are comparable. It's also around what Arron Ward signed for with the N.Y. Rangers this past summer. Rivet should sign for about $2.75m to $3m a year on a three year deal. That's his range and Habs can afford that.

Markov? a tough one. If he continues on the path towards a 65 to 70 point season, he could easily ask for $5m to $5.5 m. (Johnnson signed for $4.8 in Minnesota and Markov has better numbers). If his play slows down to a 50 to 55 pt. season it drops to around $4 m. It would be nice if we could get him signed to a $4.5 m contract like Kaberle's. I think he and Markov is are good comparables.

I don't think we should trade Souray since we won't get anything back that is as useful to the team as he is. We should let him test U.F.A and see if we can't resign him this summer.

westcoast habsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 12:47 PM
  #30
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 19,541
vCash: 500
I'd agree that it sounds more like Souray, as I think he's probably the one with the most to gain on the open market if the bidding goes nuts. I don't think the Habs would blink at offering Rivet a Staios-like deal, but at the same time, I can't see any other team topping that either, as Rivet doesn't have a level of external appeal that is greater than the internal appeal he has honed over the past decade in Montreal.

By contrast, particularly if Rivet and Markov are already signed in Montreal, Souray is the one who could hit the big homerun in the summer bidding frenzies, judging by the figures that guys like McCabe and Jovanovski landed. He has much higher "salary upside" to swing for by going on the market than Rivet does, IMO - and I'm sure he and all parties involved realize it.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 01:02 PM
  #31
IcE ColD
Registered User
 
IcE ColD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Vieux Port Inc.
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,848
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to IcE ColD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I'd agree that it sounds more like Souray, as I think he's probably the one with the most to gain on the open market if the bidding goes nuts. I don't think the Habs would blink at offering Rivet a Staios-like deal, but at the same time, I can't see any other team topping that either, as Rivet doesn't have a level of external appeal that is greater than the internal appeal he has honed over the past decade in Montreal.

By contrast, particularly if Rivet and Markov are already signed in Montreal, Souray is the one who could hit the big homerun in the summer bidding frenzies, judging by the figures that guys like McCabe and Jovanovski landed. He has much higher "salary upside" to swing for by going on the market than Rivet does, IMO - and I'm sure he and all parties involved realize it.
I think it's more likely to happen me too. I think that if he still put up numbers like he is right now all year, the McCabe contract of last summer might be referenced for Souray.

IcE ColD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 01:09 PM
  #32
habscout
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Lasalle, Ontario, Ca
Country: Canada
Posts: 592
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to habscout Send a message via AIM to habscout Send a message via MSN to habscout Send a message via Yahoo to habscout
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Albino View Post
Well, it's pretty safe to assume it's not Markov unless McGuire is very talented at reading facial expressions.
That was very well put; however, ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Albino View Post
It also doesn't sound like Souray, which kind of scares me because of the 3 I thought the most likely to actually want to stay would be Rivet.
Sorry, I have to disagree with that part. Between Souray & Rivet, I predict that Sheldon is more likely to leave. The fact that his daughter is living on the west coast has to be a big factor for him to want to play on a team that is closer to her. While Anaheim is very well set with their defence, LA or maybe San Jose may be interested in bidding for Souray, should he keep up his scoring pace and stay injury free. The Sharks will be void of Malakhov's contract after this season, which will free up about $3.6M, and will only have Scott Hannan as a significant UFA player of their own to contend with.

Another factor to keep in mind that Souray has a big history with injuries. While last season he was pretty healthy, the fact is that his previous 4 NHL seasons were are seriously and/or significantly impacted by injuries. Heck, he missed the entire 2002-03 season. I've also read that he's currently sporting some type of shoulder injury that's he's opted to wait out instead of undergoing surgery. I don't feel he's worth the risk for the Habs to give him a big contract, both in terms of dollars and seasons. I'd rather let another team take their chances with him.

habscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 04:03 PM
  #33
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
Ours!
 
Marc the Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 51,139
vCash: 597
Honestly, I am starting to inch more and more into the ''As long as Markov is signed, I have no problem with which one of Souray/Rivet we keep'' type of thinking. Markov's the one you have to re-sign. It's as simple as that. It will cost a fortune to replace him, either via trade or on the UFA market. He's going to be 28 and doesn't play a style that indicates a huge decline will soon come, give him 3-4 years @ 4-5 M per and just get it done.

Both Souray and Rivet have strengths and flaws on the ice. We know what they bring by now.

We know Souray will cost us more annually, but we also know he's a couple of years younger than Rivet. We also know Rivet is more durable than Souray and has been here longer, so he may give us a bit of a discount.

Alot of it also depends on what the cap will be folks. Don't kid yourself, if the cap is at ~40 M it changes things for all teams. The market will not be as crazy as it was a year ago because teams will have less $ to spend and many teams will be in cost-cutting mode. Part of the reason why all those D's got huge contracts last summer was because the cap went up by 5 M ! The Habs have a lot of veterans with expiring contracts (as shown in the next paragraph) so they will have a decent amount of money available to them before deciding what they do with the D.

If the cap remains at around 44M or more, it's actually possible to bring all 3 back if you say goodbye to Johnson (1.7M), Bonk (2.4M), Aebischer (1.9M), Niinimaa (2.4M)...plug in cheap kids to replace them and tell Higgins to wait a year before giving him that long-term multi-million contract he will likely deserve.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 04:07 PM
  #34
AD
Registered User
 
AD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bigassofficetower
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 14,576
vCash: 500
In my ideal world

Rivet signs for 2.5
Souray signs for 3.5
Markov signs for 4.5

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 04:13 PM
  #35
gars59
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Trois-Rivières
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,668
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychonaut View Post
I dont think so, Staios is a top 4 defence man, playing 20 min a game. Well Rivet is a number 5-6. So I think what he is making now is what he should get, 2-2.3 a year.
LOL

rivet play 22/min game

staois 21 min

Rivet = staios in my booke

gars59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 05:21 PM
  #36
psychonaut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,015
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gars59 View Post
LOL

rivet play 22/min game

staois 21 min

Rivet = staios in my booke
Ok so he plays 22 min a game, I still dont think he's a top 4 even if he gets that kind of time. But I do belived that carbo knows more then me so I guess im wrong.

psychonaut is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:25 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.