HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canes 3 - Habs 1 Tinordi's body is ready

Closed Thread

Old
09-22-2013, 04:30 PM
SouthernHab
Summer Grilling

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
Just got back from the game. I went with someone who has never seen a hockey game (or any sports game) in his life and these were his comments:

-84 really looks like he knows what he's doing!
-24 looks really strong and he's like always in the right spot but sometimes he doesn't know what to do when he gets the ball
-14 is also really good
-Why is 11 always on the floor? He's always falling!
-Omg 60 skates so fast!
-61 is my favorite player because he always passes to the wall or imaginary people. He's for sure playing drunk. I love him.

Top 3 moments for him:

3. Hooking penalty (for some reason he thought it was funny that you could get a penalty for hooking)
2. Girl dressed like a popsicle going crazy during the Harlem Shake song
1. Drunk 61 passing to invisible people
Love this post.

Even people who do not have a clue about hockey realize that Diaz is not that good.

Old
09-22-2013, 04:36 PM
HatTricK09

vCash: 982
The passing to invisible people

Old
09-22-2013, 04:39 PM
Brainiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
3. Hooking penalty (for some reason he thought it was funny that you could get a penalty for hooking)
Well, many penalties in hockey do have... funny names.

Old
09-22-2013, 04:50 PM
SouthernHab
Summer Grilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I think the whole captain thing is a little over-glorified and romanticized by the fans. So x player isn't a captain or is a captain, who ****ing cares.

Also lol at the "tinordi for captain" pomp-pomp team. Talk about jumping the gun here. Remember the Higgins and Komisarek for captain days?
Spoken like a true stats guy who only sees numbers and not individuals and intangibles.

You may look at the C as just a decoration. Fine, you are but a fan. However, in the real world of the NHL where there are coaches and players, the C is not a decoration. The C stands for leadership, the person who has tremendous impact on his team..

One of those intangibles that cannot be measured.

Great post by the way. Shows your flawed mind-set when it comes to team sports.

Old
09-22-2013, 05:05 PM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Spoken like a true stats guy who only sees numbers and not individuals and intangibles.

You may look at the C as just a decoration. Fine, you are but a fan. However, in the real world of the NHL where there are coaches and players, the C is not a decoration. The C stands for leadership, the person who has tremendous impact on his team..

Great post by the way. Shows your flawed mind-set when it comes to team sports.
You seem like more of a fan than an actual athlete...

I'd definitely agree with Andy. Unless this captain is really special, the captainship is never as big as fans like to think in any sport. How do you know these inner workings of the NHL?

Old
09-22-2013, 05:06 PM
Athlétique_Canadien

I have to disagree regarding Tinordi for Captain. Sure he may be one someday but a Captain must understand all the aspects of hockey including the mental aspects of the game. Since Tinordi is still a rookie with some NHL experience I think it would be premature to put this burden on him. How is he going to respond to the room & his teammates when times are tough & everyone is either mentally or skill wise; struggling? Even Crosby endured 2 full campaigns before being named Captain.

Old
09-22-2013, 05:11 PM
Son Oncle Jerry
Formerly HiggsBozon

No matter which side of the fence you're on, one thing is for sure: There are way too many overreactions out these about what are, obviously, a bunch of fun guesses on a hockey board.

As for people talking about "C" as nothing more than a decoration. Go to say that straight in the face of Jean Beliveau. Or Bob Gainey. Or Steve Yzerman. Or Mark Messier...

Old
09-22-2013, 05:13 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post

I'd definitely agree with Andy. Unless this captain is really special, the captainship is never as big as fans like to think in any sport. How do you know these inner workings of the NHL?
I was always the "leader" of my teams. You can make a difference, but it only goes so far. A speech won't turn a bad team into a dynasty. Things need to be said and that's why captains are there, to get people in line when they need to be. But the extent of its game-changing ability is limited.

It's needed, but fans romanticize its role. It's not like a guy gets up with dramatic music and delivers a 25 minute monologue, after which the team goes flying on the ice and crushes its opponents. You call out who needs to be called out, both individuals and the team. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes two or three key teammates are having bad games and no amount of leadership will change that individual performance. There are just too many dynamics in sports.

Also, a team shouldn't depend on one person to speak up anyway.

Old
09-22-2013, 05:17 PM
SouthernHab
Summer Grilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post

You are spot on. I never played in the NHL.

However, having played team sports, leadership from player(s) is complimentary (or detrimental) to leadership from coaches.

The attitudes of the team and how they react to success or adversity is a reflection of the team leader. And that could be a positive or a negative.

Have you played in the NHL?

Old
09-22-2013, 05:20 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
No matter which side of the fence you're on, one thing is for sure: There are way too many overreactions out these about what are, obviously, a bunch of fun guesses on a hockey board.

As for people talking about "C" as nothing more than a decoration. Go to say that straight in the face of Jean Beliveau. Or Bob Gainey. Or Steve Yzerman. Or Mark Messier...
I haven't seen anyone say it's decoration. It's definitely not, but it's impact is overstated. Look at the habs 09-10 team. Sure a lot of that playoff-run will be attributed to Halak carrying the team, but the entire roster had excellent resolve despite having no captain.

Old
09-22-2013, 05:24 PM
Craig71

I'm just glad we have Tinordi on our team, who cares if he is a captain or not? He will be a good player in the NHL for a long time. Why do you guys argue over every little detail of every player, my god it gets so old, just be fans of the team and it's players. To read some of your posts, it would seem that some of you have the weight of the franchise on your shoulders.

Old
09-22-2013, 05:26 PM
Son Oncle Jerry
Formerly HiggsBozon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I haven't seen anyone say it's decoration. It's definitely not, but it's impact is overstated. Look at the habs 09-10 team. Sure a lot of that playoff-run will be attributed to Halak carrying the team, but the entire roster had excellent resolve despite having no captain.
I would say pretty much all of this team's success came from Halak and Cammalleri scoring 2 goals every game we needed a win.

Give the C to the wrong guy, and talk to players in the locker room about the impact of it.

Old
09-22-2013, 05:27 PM
That Habs Fan
Weber + Price = ✓

I didn't see the game but I assume this is a thorough comp of Tinordi's hits.

count me in the very excited group.

Old
09-22-2013, 05:28 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
You see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear, I'm out..
Yup, like saying a guy with with 14 NHL games of experience is on another level than PK when it comes to off ice maturity just because he was a Captain of teams at weaker levels. I mean, who cares about growth and development, those things are irrelevant.
It doesn't matter if PK was able to change his game, adapt, follow orders, have an examplatory work ethic both on and off the ice, that he's the first one to jump on anybody that throws a dirty hit, no hesitation to defend his teammates, he is always giving his 110%, can step up to make big plays at important moments, has never been caught doing anything bad, constantly gives out to the community, always comes into camp in great shape, wants to be a big leader on this team, wants to bring the cup here, and also won the Norris.
Yup, none of those things really matter. What's truly important is that Jarred Tinordi was Captain of his junior teams, and praised by some. Because of that, anything PK has accomplished should take a sidestep. Tinordi is so on another level.

Definitely. I'm the one just seeing one side of the medal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedved View Post
Tinordi is ahead of Subban when it comes to leadership, and I don't think Subban is captain material. He has a hot head, and we've seen him off his game (ottawa) and how he can behave at the wrong time. throughout the season he will take bad penalties and gets excited easily.

You will never see that from tinordi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
No it is not.

The thing that I hate is how people throw the terms "hate and hater" around with the sole purpose of attacking another person's credibility. The truth is that the real reason this term is used is because the accuser can't construct a logical argument to counter the premise being offered by their counterpart.
You hate the fact that people use the terms ''hate or haters''?? You don't see the irony in your post?

If you think PK isn't Captain material for the sole reason that he's never been one before, then you're hating on him. You're saying his leadership qualities are insufficient based on absolutely nothing. Maybe his teams were packed with leaders that have more experience, that hold bigger roles, that are the driving force of his team. Maybe he didn't have the confidence yet because his skillset wasn't developed entirely to be that big presence.

It's such a narrow way of thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs88 View Post
I'm not saying pk isn't captain material because he was never one before, I'm saying he's not captain material because he's a hot head on the ice who talks a lot of smack that IS NOT captain material I'm sorry. I love him and his talent backs up his attitude don't get me wrong but that is not who I want as our future captain. Off ice attitude matters when it comes to being captain but ON ICE is what matters most, and subban isn't always level headed on the ice.

We are all saying tinordi CAN eventuallyyy be a captain. Moreso than subban
Crosby talks a lot of crap. So does Ovechkin. So do plenty of other Captains in the history of the NHL. It's such a dishonest way of finding excuses.
Everything you just said can be applied to any Captain.
Hey, did you see Toews lost his cool in the POs? To the point where Brent Seabrook had to come calm him down?? He also took a bunch of bad reactionary penalties. Jeez, I guess he's a bad Captain.

Such BS. The most annoying part is that you actually believe your words, but if you paid attention to the rest of the league, you'd realize every Captain loses his cool at some point, they whine, they do bad things, heck they'll even dive!

I don't think you're necessarily doing it on purpose, but you're being completely dishonest, and simply aren't in touch with reality.

Take what Nedved said, he said PK loses his cool in Ottawa. I'm guessing he's referencing to the MaxPac yelling incident. Well, in my eyes, this was leadership. Leadership from PK that told MaxPac to WAKE DA FAK UP, because just in the previous game, Eller got his head twirled around and left on a stretcher after a lazy suicide pass from Diaz, and here MaxPac just did the same to PK when PK clearly did not want the puck. So ya, sometimes, your teammates need to be yelled at. Nothing wrong with that. But it's PK, so it's poorly viewed, it's him losing his cool, and not being a team guy.
Meanwhile in Chicago, Toews admits that some of the teammates need to separate him and Kane because they're screaming at one another, but everybody is laughing about it and says how great Toews is. Ya, no double standard.

Last edited by Kriss E: 09-22-2013 at 05:34 PM.
Old
09-22-2013, 05:28 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Noones saying make him Captain, people are just observing he's a good candidate to be a future captain.

This arguing is crazy.

Old
09-22-2013, 05:33 PM
Draft

Quote:
You are spot on. I never played in the NHL.

However, having played team sports, leadership from player(s) is complimentary (or detrimental) to leadership from coaches.

The attitudes of the team and how they react to success or adversity is a reflection of the team leader. And that could be a positive or a negative.

Have you played in the NHL?
I'm not saying it's not an important role, I'm saying you sound ridiculous making claims like the following:

Quote:

If you've never played in the NHL, why are you making claims like these? I've never played in the NHL but I have played at a high-level of sport and from my experience, you're a ways off in terms of the "tremendous impact" that a captain has on any team, it doesn't suddenly change because you're playing in the NHL. Maybe you chose your words poorly but you're making it sound as if this one guy makes or breaks a team.

Old
09-22-2013, 05:41 PM
habs88
Ya I'm a habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Noones saying make him Captain, people are just observing he's a good candidate to be a future captain.

This arguing is crazy.
Wow somone actually understands

Old
09-22-2013, 05:44 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahabsfanfromtoronto View Post
I didn't see the game but I assume this is a thorough comp of Tinordi's hits.

count me in the very excited group.
Finally get to see the hit on Ruutu.

Does anyone know if someone finally uploaded Tinordi's hit on Grabovski that lead to a goal in the last game of the regular season last year ?

Old
09-22-2013, 05:44 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:

This arguing is crazy.
Just so it's clear.

I responded to someone saying Tinordi is ahead of PK in terms of off ice maturity.

I also responded to people saying PK isn't Captain material because he can be a ''hot head'' and lose his cool.

That's what's essentially being discussed.

Old
09-22-2013, 05:45 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs88 View Post
Wow somone actually understands
It's like people are reading "Tinordi has future captain potential", and read it as "PK Subban sucks" or "Cut Gionta, and give him the C now"....

Honestly, I think people are bored and can't wait for the season to start.

Old
09-22-2013, 05:45 PM
Ice Poutine
I like thoup-Lindros

Name DD captain so the refs have to look down when he's arguing and take pity on him and we will get sympathy and many breaks that way.

Old
09-22-2013, 05:46 PM
Saundies

Alright people, who really cares if Tinordi's a future captain or not? He's not gonna be one for at least a couple of years, if that, so what's the point of arguing about it right now.

1) Hasn't even made the team yet

2) Has barely played in the NHL... He's had 2 or 3 good preseason games and he's already "captain material." Calm down.

Personally, PK Subban gets the "C" when Gionta's gone if I'm the coach.

Old
09-22-2013, 05:52 PM
habs88
Ya I'm a habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Yup, like saying a guy with with 14 NHL games of experience is on another level than PK when it comes to off ice maturity just because he was a Captain of teams at weaker levels. I mean, who cares about growth and development, those things are irrelevant.
It doesn't matter if PK was able to change his game, adapt, follow orders, have an examplatory work ethic both on and off the ice, that he's the first one to jump on anybody that throws a dirty hit, no hesitation to defend his teammates, he is always giving his 110%, can step up to make big plays at important moments, has never been caught doing anything bad, constantly gives out to the community, always comes into camp in great shape, wants to be a big leader on this team, wants to bring the cup here, and also won the Norris.
Yup, none of those things really matter. What's truly important is that Jarred Tinordi was Captain of his junior teams, and praised by some. Because of that, anything PK has accomplished should take a sidestep. Tinordi is so on another level.

Definitely. I'm the one just seeing one side of the medal. :

You hate the fact that people use the terms ''hate or haters''?? You don't see the irony in your post?

If you think PK isn't Captain material for the sole reason that he's never been one before, then you're hating on him. You're saying his leadership qualities are insufficient based on absolutely nothing. Maybe his teams were packed with leaders that have more experience, that hold bigger roles, that are the driving force of his team. Maybe he didn't have the confidence yet because his skillset wasn't developed entirely to be that big presence.

It's such a narrow way of thinking.

Crosby talks a lot of crap. So does Ovechkin. So do plenty of other Captains in the history of the NHL. It's such a dishonest way of finding excuses.
Everything you just said can be applied to any Captain.
Hey, did you see Toews lost his cool in the POs? To the point where Brent Seabrook had to come calm him down?? He also took a bunch of bad reactionary penalties. Jeez, I guess he's a bad Captain.

Such BS. The most annoying part is that you actually believe your words, but if you paid attention to the rest of the league, you'd realize every Captain loses his cool at some point, they whine, they do bad things, heck they'll even dive!

I don't think you're necessarily doing it on purpose, but you're being completely dishonest, and simply aren't in touch with reality.

Take what Nedved said, he said PK loses his cool in Ottawa. I'm guessing he's referencing to the MaxPac yelling incident. Well, in my eyes, this was leadership. Leadership from PK that told MaxPac to WAKE DA FAK UP, because just in the previous game, Eller got his head twirled around and left on a stretcher after a lazy suicide pass from Diaz, and here MaxPac just did the same to PK when PK clearly did not want the puck. So ya, sometimes, your teammates need to be yelled at. Nothing wrong with that. But it's PK, so it's poorly viewed, it's him losing his cool, and not being a team guy.
Meanwhile in Chicago, Toews admits that some of the teammates need to separate him and Kane because they're screaming at one another, but everybody is laughing about it and says how great Toews is. Ya, no double standard.

You can't understand what I'm saying can you? I never mention when subban screamed at maxpac I don't disagree with it, but you are saying that's a leadership quality? Listen we have different opinion I think subban could be captain material eventually but if you think he's mature enough on ice to be captain right now then good for you, I don't believe so. I think that by the time subban is mature enough to be captain then tinordi will also be old enough. I don't see people in the locker room looking up to subban they might see him as a fun guy with expetional skill but I don't think they look up to him the way your supposed to a captain. That being said tinordi is by no means going to be called captain as rookie but down the road he has all the right tools as he has proved time and time again.

Catains loose their cool sometimes it happens especially in playoffs it's emotional, to say its a leadership quality is wrong.

I also do believe what I say my option is just as valid as yours I have people that disagree with me and I have people who agree no need to loose your cool or act like I'm insulting subban because for the third time I'm not.

Old
09-22-2013, 05:53 PM
icerocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saundies View Post
Alright people, who really cares if Tinordi's a future captain or not? He's not gonna be one for at least a couple of years, if that, so what's the point of arguing about it right now.

1) Hasn't even made the team yet

2) Has barely played in the NHL... He's had 2 or 3 good preseason games and he's already "captain material." Calm down.

Personally, PK Subban gets the "C" when Gionta's gone if I'm the coach.
Thank you.

The people here are ridiculous.

"Oh wow this guy is big and can hit and I heard he is a good kid, I want him to be captain!"

Tinordi hasn't even made the team yet and people see him as the future captain. Someone else already mentioned it but remember Higgins and Komisarek?

Hopefully we can have this conversation again in the future once he has proven himself in the NHL.

Old
09-22-2013, 05:56 PM
habs88
Ya I'm a habs fan

Quote:
It's like people are reading "Tinordi has future captain potential", and read it as "PK Subban sucks" or "Cut Gionta, and give him the C now"....

Honestly, I think people are bored and can't wait for the season to start.
Exactly I love subban and it's not like I can never see him as captain, just that it won't be HANDED over as easy as everybody thinks he might have some competition. I just don't feel he's ready right now.

Closed Thread