HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Oilers sign Ryan Nugent-Hopkins to extension [7 years/$6 million AAV] ‎

Old
09-22-2013, 12:47 AM
ManofSteel55

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevilsFan44 View Post
What I find... interesting, is how Hall is the best LW in the league, Eberle is top 10 RW, RNH is supposedly the best young talent for the Oilers since the Dynasty (which means he is better than Eberle and Hall, apparently), and Yakupov is going to be some amazing 100-point scorer regularly. Yet... How are they going to hold onto all of these amazing talents, plus bolster a roster behind them, along with goaltending and defense? Not to mention when they want even more money for their amazing play, if they in fact turn out to be so amazing.

The Oilers are an interesting team to me. Got every single pick they needed to rebuild, and now it seems theyre going to be Stanley Cup champions in a matter of 2-3 years? Seems shifty to me.

I see one or two of these guys no longer being Oilers in the next 4 years.
Because we are signing them long term for cap hits that will be a bargain when the cap climbs again.

ManofSteel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 01:10 AM
Bieber fever

lets see Hall playing a full season before saying he's easily worth his extension....kid has a 53 points career high so far.

Bieber fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 06:40 AM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClelland View Post
The thing is, We arent a top team!

Hall at $6m will look ridicoulous in a year or 2! Rnh at 6m is a very small risk, at worst he peak out at 65 p a year twoway player.

Ebs contract is the weakest in my opinion,hes pretty slow and weak and isnt a two way player. If he lose his clutch like he did last season it will be hard to dealing him away.

Yakupov must do a hell of a season to get a similar contract as the other 3. probably he gets a bridge contract, 2 years $ 3,5 m.
In fairness though, these 4 players won't be making the 6 million per for another 2 years. So think where the cap will be and with experience, how much better the team should be. I am not a fan of Edmonton, but these will all be good-great deals.

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 07:01 PM
ResilientBeast
MLFH Edmonton Titans

vCash: 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop The Mits View Post
Bozak had 28 Pts last year, RNH had 24. Tyler bozak just received a 4.2m dollar extension while nugent Hopkins got a 6 million one. :shrug:
One player makes his team better and is their number 1 center and the other gets points playing with Kessel. I'll let you figure out who's who.

ResilientBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 07:30 PM
Drop The Mits
Toronto Blue Dingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResilientBeast View Post
One player makes his team better and is their number 1 center and the other gets points playing with Kessel. I'll let you figure out who's who.
So if he makes players better than why does he have less points than Tyler "ride the kessel train" bozak?

Drop The Mits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 07:39 PM
MPStoEberletoHall

Are people actually comparing RNH to Bozak?

MPStoEberletoHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 07:41 PM
Timmy

RNH will have a fantastic career if he can stay healthy.

Timmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 07:51 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
This thread is not about Toronto. Let's keep on topic.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 07:58 PM
Fourier

People suggesting bridge contracts for the Oilers young stars are completely missing the point of these deals . They are all about costs certainty two years plus out from here. The Oilers are not contenders this year or likely next. But if they do play to their potential the goal would be to have cap space when they actually need it.

The goal is to win the cup not to simply be decent. If they are to do that it will be on the backs of these kids. If guys like RNH and Hall do not play up to their potential it does not matter if they are over paid. The whole thing goes down the tube anyway.

If they went the bridge contract route and all these kids played up to their billing the cost for the four with a rising cap could easily be $4-6M more than it will be under this strategy. With a cap of say $75M in a few years what would a kid who is near a ppg get with only two years to go until UFA status? That is a 20% increase on today's cap. $7.5M is not the least bit out of line.

The Oilers do not care if any of these guys is over paid this year or next. What they want to do is make sure that on average these four are providing value for the money when the team is actually ready to do something.

Last edited by Fourier: 09-23-2013 at 05:24 AM.
Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 08:06 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Not proven enough and was hurt last year. I'd be a little more okay with this if Nuge built on his rookie year, but the injury derailed that.

Not that I don't think Nuge could be worth it, it's just a bit early. I would have liked a bigger sample size for him to prove himself, although in due time (most likely very soon, 1-2 years) he'll prove that he's worth it.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 08:16 PM
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
People suggesting bridge contracts for the Oilers young stars are completely missing the point of these deals . They are all about costs certainty two years plus out from here. The Oilers are not contenders this year or likely next. But if they do play to their potential the goal would be to have cap space when they actually need it.

The goal is to win the cup not to simply be decent. If they are to do that it will be on the backs of these kids. If guys like RNH and Hall do not play up to their potential it does not matter if they are over paid. The whole thing goes down the tube anyway.

If they went the bridge contract route and all these kids played up to their billing the cost for the four with a rising cap could easily be $4-6M more than it will be under this strategy. With a cap of say $75M in a few years what would a kid who is near a ppg get with only two years to go until UFA status? That is a 20% increase on today's cap. $7.5M is not the least bit out of line.

The Oilers do not care if any of these guys is over paid this year or next. What they want to do is make sure that on average these four are providing value of the money when the team is actually ready to do something.
Not to mention there's value in locking up players the team has identified as the core and ensuring they are never left open for offersheets and/or arbitration.

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 12:20 AM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieber fever View Post
lets see Hall playing a full season before saying he's easily worth his extension....kid has a 53 points career high so far.
If you don't think Hall played like a $6m player last season, I don't know what to tell you other than to watch more hockey.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 09:58 AM
ManofSteel55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieber fever View Post
Top 10 in scoring last year, over a ppg. Hey jealousy, is that you?

ManofSteel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 10:22 AM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

vCash: 450
not bad for a player that's only played 100 games

PensBandwagonerNo272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 10:44 AM
Wondercarrot
Classless

Locking young stars up for as long as possible is IMO a no brainer for EDM.
They cannot afford to lose those guys. no contract disputes, favorable contracts - they need to set the table to keep these guys or have them on longterm tradeable contracts.

Wondercarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 12:12 PM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post
Not to mention there's value in locking up players the team has identified as the core and ensuring they are never left open for offersheets and/or arbitration.
And this is something some fans miss. Look at Philly....they currently have 7 of their top 8 forwards signed for the next 3 years...and only one making over $4.75 mill. B.Schenn is the last to re-sign. Oilers are doing the right thing.

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote