HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

UNB Varsity Reds Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
09-22-2013, 07:46 PM
RED ARMY EAST

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRedsRule View Post
One man's opinion:

The three new D all look like great additions. Murray stood out to me, knowing when to jump into play, a nice shot and a solid build. Petgrave has soft hands and will help PP. Cutting a solid defensive presence.

Thomas looks like he will play a key role on checking unit. Physical presence.

Maclise looked okay, big frame. I am sure with a few days of practise he will look better.

Willick will be a good addition. Didn't jump out at me but that also means didn't do much wrong.

Labardo is small. Has speed but I don't see him at Salituro's skill level. It will be an adjustment for him this season.
Speaking of Salituro, he will be playing for Western this year since there is no room for him on the
Reds roster (cap). That's the rumor.

Old
09-22-2013, 08:03 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED ARMY EAST View Post
Speaking of Salituro, he will be playing for Western this year since there is no room for him on the
Reds roster (cap). That's the rumor.
UNB still has a spot or two available, don't they? Unless there is something we don't know regarding potential recruits coming in.

Is Salituro doing a Masters? That would be the only way he could play this year without sitting out the year, isn't it? Although I wonder with the new cap, if a player gets cut they could petition to the CIS to go play at another school without sitting out the year (not saying this is the case with Salituro...I believe he did graduate).

Old
09-22-2013, 08:49 PM
RED ARMY EAST

Unb

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
UNB still has a spot or two available, don't they? Unless there is something we don't know regarding potential recruits coming in.

Is Salituro doing a Masters? That would be the only way he could play this year without sitting out the year, isn't it? Although I wonder with the new cap, if a player gets cut they could petition to the CIS to go play at another school without sitting out the year (not saying this is the case with Salituro...I believe he did graduate).
Ranford, Halley who were recruited by UNB could be back before the second half? Duffy isn't cut out for school as was earlier mentioned. One roster spot will at least be left open in hopes that one of these players or another decides to leave minor pro. There is always an impact player or two that decides to leave the coast before January. Desnoyer, Harnden, Kidd etc......
They have a solid team, maybe as good as last year??
An impact player for the second half will be on the radar for sure, especially a goal scorer!

Old
09-22-2013, 08:55 PM
RED ARMY EAST

Where did Frazee from Lakehead go? Impact player that seemed to burn his own bridges, but then again there has been a lot of players and coaches come and go in T-Bay. He would have to sit a year, but did he quit before the second half of the 2012-13 season. I believe they lost McDonald to the U of S last year.

Old
09-22-2013, 10:28 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
I think every AUS coach will leave a spot open just in case. I think we're good for forwards, but an extra Dman would be good.

Quote:
Coach told me he graduated, so likely a secondary degree of some sort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRedsRule View Post
One man's opinion:
Labardo is small. Has speed but I don't see him at Salituro's skill level. It will be an adjustment for him this season.
I think J.P. is a better playmaker (he sees the ice better) than Stefan(not that he was 'bad' - I was a support of his play) - just needs some time to acclimatize to the AUS and I think he'll be a solid player.

Old
09-23-2013, 12:30 AM
WilcoxHound

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED ARMY EAST View Post
Where did Frazee from Lakehead go? Impact player that seemed to burn his own bridges, but then again there has been a lot of players and coaches come and go in T-Bay. He would have to sit a year, but did he quit before the second half of the 2012-13 season. I believe they lost McDonald to the U of S last year.
Thomas Frazee was asked to leave the Lakehead team by the Athletic Dept. Nothing more was provided to media.

Old
09-25-2013, 09:35 AM
SuperSquirrel

UNB vs. Portland

What time does the game start today? Anyone know of a way to follow it... ticker maybe?

Old
09-25-2013, 09:44 AM
radapex

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSquirrel View Post
What time does the game start today? Anyone know of a way to follow it... ticker maybe?
The schedule says 2pm, also confirmed by the Pirates Twitter account

Quote:
Portland Pirates ‏@PortlandPirates 2h
It's game day for the first time this season! The Pirates take on @UNBHockey in Exhibition action at @MHGIceCentre at 1 - admission is free!

No audio or video from the Pirates, so unless UNB get a stream together there doesn't appear to be any way to watch/hear the game.

Last edited by radapex: 09-25-2013 at 09:49 AM.
Old
09-25-2013, 12:39 PM
FreddtFoyle

The only way to follow the UNB-Portland games appears to be by Twitter, following @JeffMannix and ‏@PortlandPirates.

After 1 period there is no score with the Pirates outshooting UNB 12-4.

Old
09-27-2013, 04:59 AM
Rob

In the Portland Pirates 4-0 win over UNB Philippe Halley scored a goal for the Pirates. Gotta love irony.

Noticed that Daine Todd was also in the lineup for Portland.

Anyway looking forward to the Carleton game on Friday. The Ravens were one goal away last season(against UQTR in ot) from making it to the Nationals. They may be the best team in the OUA this season.

Old
09-30-2013, 01:10 AM
Rob

Well the Ravens did impress me Friday night even though it was a penalty filled affair. Wouldn't be surprised to see them in Saskatchewan this March.

Hope the VReds improve on the PP as the season progresses.

Old
09-30-2013, 02:37 PM
WilcoxHound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Well the Ravens did impress me Friday night even though it was a penalty filled affair. Wouldn't be surprised to see them in Saskatchewan this March.

Hope the VReds improve on the PP as the season progresses.
that's Carleton's style, they have an excellent penalty kill and a deadly pp. They will pound the crap out of you, take advantage on the pp and kill your confidence on the pk. No one gets near their goalies without a facewash or a slash.

Old
10-01-2013, 04:35 PM
Rob

You can watch UNB play Colorado College and Denver but you will have to pay.

http://cctigers.com/showcase/ -You can get a 24 hours pass for $6.95.

https://www.nmnathletics.com/Premium...B_OEM_ID=18600 -Denver you can get a 1 month pass for $8.95.

Old
10-02-2013, 03:25 PM
Rob

Has anyone seen any 2013 CIS Champions gear yet?

Old
10-04-2013, 02:30 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Has anyone seen any 2013 CIS Champions gear yet?
Nope - not yet

Old
10-04-2013, 02:32 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Daine Todd

Daine Todd makes the Portland Pirates (AHL) Opening Night roster (Oct. 9th).

Pirates Roster

Old
10-05-2013, 09:25 AM
FreddtFoyle

UNB's game against Air Force on Monday is now "postponed" and will probably be cancelled if the U.S. government shutdown isn't resolved before then.

http://blogs.gazette.com/collegehock...all-cancelled/

Old
10-05-2013, 03:43 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
UNB's game against Air Force on Monday is now "postponed" and will probably be cancelled if the U.S. government shutdown isn't resolved before then.

http://blogs.gazette.com/collegehock...all-cancelled/
Not surprised.

This is probably best for the players though as three games in three days was a lot on the road.

Old
10-05-2013, 06:16 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

They knew it was going to be 3-in-3 before they left (just like Nationals for the Thursday team).

I think they'd want to play after going that far and AF is the weakest of the three teams.

However, the US Air Force does have a few planes - the make-up game might be a free ride on a Hercules back to Colorado Springs at Christmas

Old
10-05-2013, 07:06 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
They knew it was going to be 3-in-3 before they left (just like Nationals for the Thursday team).

I think they'd want to play after going that far and AF is the weakest of the three teams.

However, the US Air Force does have a few planes - the make-up game might be a free ride on a Hercules back to Colorado Springs at Christmas
Never thought of that option.

Old
10-06-2013, 09:23 AM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

UNB vs CC (Loss - 0-5)

I watched the game last night - not a bad video feed, but for $7 I would have liked a slightly higher res. The replays were nice.

The first two period were pretty even. CC's first goal was goofy though - just some bad luck (hard pass from inside their zone is deflected at UNB's blue line and bounces over Lavigne's shoulder. Not a lot of 'great' chances for UNB. CC was always standing in the right spot and as expect (from most NCAA teams) they're very quick so there isn't a lot of time & space. UNB did get 30 shots, but a lot were from the perimeter.

I think Critchlow's shot from the crease on the PP at the end of the 2nd was their best chance. Thomas's drive to the net also made it in, but coasted by the far post.

The third was unexpected - UNB was being beaten to the puck a little more often, but if you take the 3 PPs goals away - it's a 2-0 game. So, the score isn't indicative of the game, but you can't win if you don't score (0-5 on the PP while CC was 3-7)

Everyone played from what I could see including MacNeil. Lavigne played the whole game while CC had a new goalie for each period.

UNB did win the shootout 2-0, with goals from Braes (left-right-top shelf) and MacDougall (came in from the right as a left shot and dropped his right shoulder and quick snapshot to the inside left post). Alexander Krushelnyski was CC's first shooter - he is the son of NHL'er Mike Krushelnyski and had a natural hat-trick in the game.

Last year they were bombed by BC 6-0 and rebounded against a weak Maine team, but Denver is #17 this year.

Last edited by Drummer: 10-06-2013 at 03:40 PM. Reason: spelling
Old
10-06-2013, 09:29 AM
NCAA Hockey Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
Last year they were bombed by BC 6-0 and rebounded against a week Maine team, but Denver is #17 this year.
They rebounded to TIE a weak Maine team.

Old
10-06-2013, 10:38 AM
Rob

Yeah, I enjoyed the replays as well. Thought it was a fair price for the game.
Unfortunately I won't be able to watch tonight's contest with Denver.

Old
10-06-2013, 03:41 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCAA Hockey Fan View Post
They rebounded to TIE a weak Maine team.
They did score a 3rd goal in OT, but it was .5sec after the buzzer.

Old
10-06-2013, 10:04 PM
Rob

Nice rebound win against Denver. Didn't get a chance to watch the game but I see Shutron scored both goals.

Closed Thread