HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Best two-year peak by a goaltender: Bernie Parent or Dominik Hasek

View Poll Results: Hasek vs Parent
Parent; seasons 1973-74 and 1974-75 16 21.05%
Hasek; seasons 1996-97 and 1997-98 60 78.95%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-21-2013, 09:52 AM
  #51
Crosbyfan
Registered User
 
Crosbyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 9,294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Alrighty. Yep. Pretty much what SP says there Cf.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
Huh? Dryden peaked from the 1975-76 season through the 1977-78 season. He won the Calder after the 1971-72 season. Even his Conn Smythe effort in the 1971 playoffs was quite possibly his WEAKEST playoff performance.
OK. I don't agree though. In those years his defensive support was stronger than in 1971.

Crosbyfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 02:36 PM
  #52
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates
 
Morgoth Bauglir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Angband via Utumno
Posts: 3,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
OK. I don't agree though. In those years his defensive support was stronger than in 1971.
So we're penalizing him for playing on a dynasty now?

Morgoth Bauglir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 04:00 PM
  #53
Crosbyfan
Registered User
 
Crosbyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 9,294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
So we're penalizing him for playing on a dynasty now?
When comparing Dryden in 71 to Dryden during the late seventies dynasty, I'm taking into consideration the conditions he played in, and believe his best was 1971 playoffs. You don't have to agree with my opinion, but the Conn Smythe is evidence that supports it, especially as he won it by the highest percentage of vote ever.

So if that was his weakest playoff year...


Last edited by Crosbyfan: 09-21-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Crosbyfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 04:08 PM
  #54
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates
 
Morgoth Bauglir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Angband via Utumno
Posts: 3,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
When comparing Dryden in 71 to Dryden during the late seventies dynasty, I'm taking into consideration the conditions he played in, and believe his best was 1971 playoffs. You don't have to agree with my opinion, but the Conn Smythe is evidence that supports it.
A GAA of 3.00 vs 1.92, 1.55, and 1.89 in the playoffs in question supports my assertion that 1971 was the weakest playoff run of the bunch. And I'm pretty sure if research the respective save percentages for those playoffs it's going to reflect the same.

Bottom line: Ken Dyden of was a better goaltender in 1975-76 through 1977-78 than he was in 1971.


Last edited by Morgoth Bauglir: 09-21-2013 at 05:07 PM.
Morgoth Bauglir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 08:14 PM
  #55
Crosbyfan
Registered User
 
Crosbyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 9,294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
A GAA of 3.00 vs 1.92, 1.55, and 1.89 in the playoffs in question supports my assertion that 1971 was the weakest playoff run of the bunch. And I'm pretty sure if research the respective save percentages for those playoffs it's going to reflect the same.

Bottom line: Ken Dyden of was a better goaltender in 1975-76 through 1977-78 than he was in 1971.
I agree he was very good during that period



I just think he was even better in the playoffs in 1971


Crosbyfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 08:18 PM
  #56
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates
 
Morgoth Bauglir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Angband via Utumno
Posts: 3,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
I agree he was very good during that period



I just think he was even better in the playoffs in 1971

That's just it: Statistically he wasn't even close to being on par let alone better.

Morgoth Bauglir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 01:34 PM
  #57
Crosbyfan
Registered User
 
Crosbyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 9,294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
That's just it: Statistically he wasn't even close to being on par let alone better.
Well...I think the photos represent the play as much as the GAA (which are essentially team stats),

Crosbyfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 01:39 PM
  #58
Bear of Bad News
Mod Supervisor
 
Bear of Bad News's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Windsor
Posts: 4,626
vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
Well...I think the photos represent the play as much as the GAA (which are essentially team stats),
If you don't like GAA, save percentages show roughly the same thing:
http://www.hockeygoalies.org/bio/drydenk.html

Bear of Bad News is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 01:52 PM
  #59
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates
 
Morgoth Bauglir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Angband via Utumno
Posts: 3,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
Well...I think the photos represent the play as much as the GAA (which are essentially team stats),
Using a pic of Dryden's famous "pose" and implying he just did that all game long is at minimum disingenuous. At maximum.....

Morgoth Bauglir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 04:30 PM
  #60
Crosbyfan
Registered User
 
Crosbyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 9,294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
Using a pic of Dryden's famous "pose" and implying he just did that all game long is at minimum disingenuous. At maximum.....
That is why I said "as much as" not more than GAA, a team stat...implying it was a factor.

Crosbyfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 04:44 PM
  #61
Crosbyfan
Registered User
 
Crosbyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 9,294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
If you don't like GAA, save percentages show roughly the same thing:
http://www.hockeygoalies.org/bio/drydenk.html
Roughly speaking, they don't. Dryden faced a lot more shots in 1971, per game and overall, and the save percentage was only marginally off of those statistically best years.

Crosbyfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 04:51 PM
  #62
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates
 
Morgoth Bauglir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Angband via Utumno
Posts: 3,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
That is why I said "as much as" not more than GAA, a team stat...implying it was a factor.
Actually what you did was a sound byte in visual form: And as with any sound byte it's misleading, disingenuous, lacking in substance, and any connection with reality is purely accidental.

Morgoth Bauglir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 04:53 PM
  #63
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates
 
Morgoth Bauglir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Angband via Utumno
Posts: 3,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
Roughly speaking, they don't. Dryden faced a lot more shots in 1971, per game and overall, and the save percentage was only marginally off of those statistically best years.
.929 and .932 vs .914 is "marginal"? We must have different definitions as to what amounts to "marginal" when it comes to save percentages.

Morgoth Bauglir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 05:40 PM
  #64
Crosbyfan
Registered User
 
Crosbyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 9,294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
.929 and .932 vs .914 is "marginal"? We must have different definitions as to what amounts to "marginal" when it comes to save percentages.
Closer than GAA 3.00 to 1.55 which you "disingenuously" implied was a close reflection of what the Sv% and level of Dryden's play might be.

Crosbyfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 05:44 PM
  #65
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates
 
Morgoth Bauglir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Angband via Utumno
Posts: 3,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
Closer than GAA 3.00 to 1.55 which you "disingenuously" implied was a close reflection of what the Sv% and level of Dryden's play might be.
Hardly......differences of .015 and .018 are, in fact, big in terms of goalie save percentages.

Morgoth Bauglir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 06:11 PM
  #66
Bear of Bad News
Mod Supervisor
 
Bear of Bad News's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Windsor
Posts: 4,626
vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
Closer than GAA 3.00 to 1.55 which you "disingenuously" implied was a close reflection of what the Sv% and level of Dryden's play might be.
If what you're saying here is that they're both (Sv% and GAA) far apart, then I agree. So what are we arguing about?

Bear of Bad News is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 07:10 PM
  #67
Hardyvan123
[email protected]
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
Hardly......differences of .015 and .018 are, in fact, big in terms of goalie save percentages.
They are over a long season but in a small playoff sample such fluctuations surely do and can happen.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 07:14 PM
  #68
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates
 
Morgoth Bauglir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Angband via Utumno
Posts: 3,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
They are over a long season but in a small playoff sample such fluctuations surely do and can happen.
15-20 games isn't THAT small a sample.

Morgoth Bauglir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 08:01 PM
  #69
Crosbyfan
Registered User
 
Crosbyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 9,294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
If what you're saying here is that they're both (Sv% and GAA) far apart, then I agree. So what are we arguing about?
Essentially Saint Pats insistence that the 1971 Playoffs for Dryden were "quite possibly his WEAKEST playoff performance", while I think they were his best...

Crosbyfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 08:15 PM
  #70
Bear of Bad News
Mod Supervisor
 
Bear of Bad News's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Windsor
Posts: 4,626
vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
Essentially Saint Pats insistence that the 1971 Playoffs for Dryden were "quite possibly his WEAKEST playoff performance", while I think they were his best...

I don't agree with that, either. Unless he meant "worst of Cup-winning playoffs", in which case I still might not agree (1979 was pretty weak as far as Cup-winners go).

The problem is that you've both managed to get yourself out at the very end of tree branches at this point.

And the *other* problem is that this thread is about Hasek and Parent (see the thread title if you don't believe me).

I will allow you each one further post on Dryden in this thread; consider it your closing remarks.

Bear of Bad News is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 08:25 PM
  #71
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates
 
Morgoth Bauglir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Angband via Utumno
Posts: 3,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
I don't agree with that, either. Unless he meant "worst of Cup-winning playoffs", in which case I still might not agree (1979 was pretty weak as far as Cup-winners go).

The problem is that you've both managed to get yourself out at the very end of tree branches at this point.

And the *other* problem is that this thread is about Hasek and Parent (see the thread title if you don't believe me).

I will allow you each one further post on Dryden in this thread; consider it your closing remarks.
Essentially Crosbyfan insisted that Dryden "peaked" as a goalie before he even won the Calder. I call BS, he peaked between 1975-75 and 1977-78 and the stats back me up.

Morgoth Bauglir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 09:41 PM
  #72
Crosbyfan
Registered User
 
Crosbyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 9,294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
Essentially Crosbyfan insisted that Dryden "peaked" as a goalie before he even won the Calder. I call BS, he peaked between 1975-75 and 1977-78 and the stats back me up.
Since the Conn Smythe and other anecdotal evidence are well know, I will go with some stats:

Dryden's total

Saves 1971 playoffs 709

Saves 1976 playoffs 350
Saves 1977 playoffs 324
Saves 1978 playoffs 361

All great playoffs, but I'm calling 1971 his best. He arguably had more difficult, tougher, and more clutch saves to make that year, including a series against a offensive record breaking Boston team, than the other 3 playoff years combined (behind a defence that was the backbone of a dynasty)

Crosbyfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:40 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.