HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XXIII: The Return of Michael Jordan

Closed Thread

Old
09-22-2013, 12:20 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

vCash: 500
I wanna see more of Mitchell. I think he could take over for Volpatti rather easily if we do lose Patti on waivers. Only problem is that Mitchell is a right shot and Patti is a left.

Old
09-22-2013, 12:48 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
That rules him out for about a month, though. There's not being ready and there's not being close to ready. Laich is practicing so it's hard to see that as an option unless he has another setback.

Given that Oates seems to want to move towards four very capable two-way lines Volpatti and perhaps Beagle seem like the most likely roster casualties. I'd like to see a good deal more of Latta in the final four games to see whether he can make a case as a depth center option at some point.
I didn't realize it kept him out for that long. I guess I'm used to guys going on there retroactively, which obviously can't happen on the first day of the season.

Old
09-22-2013, 02:28 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Keeping Laich on LTIR will not fix anything long term. We will not save cap space from that. Not a solution.

Old
09-22-2013, 03:02 PM
Halpysback*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post
Keeping Laich on LTIR will not fix anything long term. We will not save cap space from that. Not a solution.
If it lets Orlov start the season with the team and he catches lightning in a bottle and establishes himself as a dependable 2nd pairing LD then it could fix everything. Once Laich comes back make room at Beagle, Hillen or Volpatti (or please god Neuvirth's) expense, and then we effectively got a top 4 D and a relatively complete D corps instead of not having one.

Old
09-22-2013, 05:19 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Orlov needs half a season to establish himself, I guess. And that's an optimistic estimation.

They could count on him in the playoffs only after a good long period of play.

What we need is another C. I bet MP/Beagle/Latta are better than Fehr as centers. So Fehr/Wilson is the conflict for the last roster spot. Not Wilson over Beagle or Volpatti.

I'd give Tom his 9 games and then send back to OHL. We have enough guys who could handle 4RW position even in case of an injury.

Waiving Volpatti is a way to make left wing even weaker (and it is already weak enough, almost every LW is questional).

I do not see how Wilson could handle 82 games in the NHL and be more effective in the playoffs after that. Probably he will be as good as after OHL playoffs. It's a wash. The obvious bonuses of sending him back are: 1) GMGM's cap space 2) Wilson's TOI 3) no risk of waiving Caps players.

Old
09-22-2013, 05:30 PM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

I do not want Wilson up if its at the expense of Orlov not getting a shot.

Old
09-22-2013, 06:34 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
By far the single most infuriating thing about this board.

Guys like Ward, Chimera, Talbot, Bolland, Bickell that can be guaranteed to step up EVERY year even if they coast in the regular season are far more valuable than their skill or trade value would indicate. The constant drive to trade Ward and Chimera for "cap space" or some 3rd rounder or some regular season trinket (because that is all they would fetch) is completely infuriating just because of how indefensibly stupid it is on all levels.

Oh, but we can also marginalize and split hairs about their playoff performances so the fact that they can be counted to bring it every single year can be pushed aside more easily. Brilliant!
ummm...yup

Old
09-22-2013, 07:21 PM
Brian23

I think Wilson can play in this league, but his future would be better served developing one more year down in the OHL. He's just not gonna get the work as a top liner here and I th ink that's what he needs currently.

Old
09-22-2013, 07:36 PM
Portable Mink
Go Walker!

I also hate the Chimera and Ward hate.

they are dependable. Ward is clutch in playoffs and Chimmer draws penalties and is always a risk to play against with his speed. And he smashed the crap out of people over 7 games with some big, even if sometimes clumsy hits.

Old
09-22-2013, 08:37 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Not sure what's more head scratching, *****ing about our overpaid backup goalie who is still young for an NHL goalie or our overpaid 4th liner who raises his game in (so far) the first round of the postseason. Hardly worth praising some modest early round play...

IMO McPhee isn't totally sold on Holtby being the sure #1 yet for a full season, otherwise Neuvy is already gone and that $$ is spent more wisely.

Old
09-22-2013, 08:44 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian23 View Post
I think Wilson can play in this league, but his future would be better served developing one more year down in the OHL. He's just not gonna get the work as a top liner here and I th ink that's what he needs currently.
ive heard some conversation among the caps management and coaches and their media staff on this. two things.

1. as of last season, reports were consistant that Wilson was a man among boys in junior hockey. ive heard several comments that scouts and oates have said they don't think there is anything for him to learn in the OHL.

2. Wilson has been a target of junior level players in the pre season as he's the king of the mountain. I heard a suggestion on the caps report that sending him back to junior hockey turns him into a target night in and night out.

Old
09-22-2013, 10:41 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Not sure what's more head scratching, *****ing about our overpaid backup goalie who is still young for an NHL goalie or our overpaid 4th liner who raises his game in (so far) the first round of the postseason. Hardly worth praising some modest early round play...

IMO McPhee isn't totally sold on Holtby being the sure #1 yet for a full season, otherwise Neuvy is already gone and that $$ is spent more wisely.
What's head scratching is that people don't have a problem with paying a backup more than a starter, and that it prevents improvements in other areas.

Old
09-23-2013, 12:58 AM
Brian23

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
ive heard some conversation among the caps management and coaches and their media staff on this. two things.

1. as of last season, reports were consistant that Wilson was a man among boys in junior hockey. ive heard several comments that scouts and oates have said they don't think there is anything for him to learn in the OHL.

2. Wilson has been a target of junior level players in the pre season as he's the king of the mountain. I heard a suggestion on the caps report that sending him back to junior hockey turns him into a target night in and night out.
I mean, if he plays the game in the NHL like he's down in the OHL and is able to develop into a top 6 guy, he's gonna be a target up here too.

I just worry that giving him 4th or 3rd line minutes is gonna affect his offensive game and basically develop him into only that; a 3rd or 4th liner. I think the fact that he's got offensive upside and that's he started to really show it in the lower leagues tells me he should have more time to continue getting 20+ minutes a night in a scoring role.

If he could play for the Bears, I'd be all about him staying down there and playing 20+ minutes a night. I just don't want him up here to play 6 to 8 minutes a night and not get anything besides working with an NHL coaching staff.

Old
09-23-2013, 06:01 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian23 View Post
I mean, if he plays the game in the NHL like he's down in the OHL and is able to develop into a top 6 guy, he's gonna be a target up here too.

I just worry that giving him 4th or 3rd line minutes is gonna affect his offensive game and basically develop him into only that; a 3rd or 4th liner. I think the fact that he's got offensive upside and that's he started to really show it in the lower leagues tells me he should have more time to continue getting 20+ minutes a night in a scoring role.

If he could play for the Bears, I'd be all about him staying down there and playing 20+ minutes a night. I just don't want him up here to play 6 to 8 minutes a night and not get anything besides working with an NHL coaching staff.
oates has already mentioned that keeping Wilson at minimul minutes is no different than what the bruins did with joe thornton.

the kind of target Wilson would be in the nhl should he become successful is totally different than having every thug in the ohl trying to make their bones on Wilson's head.

the bears would be an easy choice. its not an option and therefore the choice is between the other two options of which you have to be committed to. either one has pitfalls.

again, this is an area where I am confident that oates and McPhee and staff are far more in tune with the situation and I am going to trust what they do one way or the other.

edit: oates doesn't use his 4th line in a 6 or 8 minutes fashion. the only caps players averaging less than 10 a game was volpatti and crabb

Old
09-23-2013, 06:02 AM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Quote:

It's not that bad. Last game Wilson got hit hard enough (and dangerous) while crashing the net. He wasn't expecting it apparently.

Such unawareness could lead to some nasty hits from smaller (as opposed to Wilson) but very strong NHL players. Trashtalking Wilson will get attention from the NHLers, I am sure.

Also, some responsibility for result could help. Top-6 duties with TOI, good partners (skill) and responsibility. It's not that bad.

Old
09-23-2013, 06:03 AM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Quote:
again, this is an area where I am confident that oates and McPhee and staff are far more in tune with the situation and I am going to trust what they do one way or the other.
Yes, this is true in the same time. I'm relaxed too.

Old
09-23-2013, 06:21 AM
RandyHolt
I Won a Contest

vCash: 0
I am sure someone else figured it out but the Fehr experiment is to make room for Wilson. I presume MP gets squeezed, but wonder where Laich fits in the team. You snooze you lose.

I wonder who misses more games this year, Erat or Laich. They should be able to do half each. Think LTIR Cap Room.

MJ Nick Ovi
Rat/Like Grabs Brow
Chimmer Fehr Wilson
Patti Beagle Ward
MP

If George is truly sold on Erat and MJ as his LW's, maybe Laich is the guy to trade. A top notch scoring C, potential Captain, does everything well. Becoming injury prone....

Old
09-23-2013, 07:23 AM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
maybe Laich is the guy to trade. A top notch scoring C, potential Captain, does everything well. Becoming injury prone....
Not too bold, RH. He's almost Olympic caliber canadian hero.

Old
09-23-2013, 09:05 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
he also said that he would reevaluate after the season. if holtby holds the #1 job and stays healthy, neuvirth would be an expensive insurance policy. my view is that neuvirth was signed to play 35-40 games and be at least an option for as the playoff goalie.
Again, last season, Oates gave Holtby 75% of the starts. In a full season that would put Neuvirth at 20 or so starts. Neuvirth was healthy last year (except for when he was pretending to have the flu ) and still couldn't get into a platoon situation. He is a backup in terms of skill and in the eyes of his coach.

Old
09-23-2013, 10:11 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Morrow to the Blues for a year for $1.5

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/9/23/44...st-louis-blues

Old
09-23-2013, 11:48 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I am sure someone else figured it out but the Fehr experiment is to make room for Wilson. I presume MP gets squeezed, but wonder where Laich fits in the team. You snooze you lose.

I wonder who misses more games this year, Erat or Laich. They should be able to do half each. Think LTIR Cap Room.

MJ Nick Ovi
Rat/Like Grabs Brow
Chimmer Fehr Wilson
Patti Beagle Ward
MP

If George is truly sold on Erat and MJ as his LW's, maybe Laich is the guy to trade. A top notch scoring C, potential Captain, does everything well. Becoming injury prone....
Replace Patti with Laich and Beags with Perry, swap Wilson and Wardo and it's a solid line-up:
90-19-8
10-84-20
25-16-42
21-85-43
24, 83, Mitchy, Latta, etc.

Each line is tough to play against. No clear cut fourth line makes it hard to shut down. Any single line can get on a roll and win the game.

Last edited by fedfed: 09-23-2013 at 12:12 PM.
Old
09-23-2013, 12:24 PM
txpd

25-16-42 is a 4th line. no chance the caps use 21 as a 4th liner.

@RH: It was me that said the center experiment was to find 3rd line ice for Wilson. but its also an attempt to find ice for fehr. if fehr is a rw only and Wilson is on the team, some rw not named Wilson is going to get scratched a lot.

Old
09-23-2013, 12:28 PM
Kegger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
Another scenario that buys them time is Laich on the IR to start the season. By the time he comes off, Green will surely have taken his place and their cap situation will be fine.

Edit: I guess RH mentioned this too. It's not unrealistic.
What talent...lol.

Old
09-23-2013, 12:59 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Erskine's intimidation makes him a better player. yes. if you think it makes him a serviceable 4 you are letting your love of delivering pain get the better of you.

Erskine is a 6/7 that may be a solid 5 because he can bring the pain and throw em now and then. As a 4 its all about his ability not to get lit up. This past playoffs he was exposed as a 4. He didn't come close to hurting anyone badly enough to scare the rangers from challenging him. In fact didn't they manage to hurt him instead?

balance rb. balance. Erskine is not so intimidating that he rates more ice and shutdown pair duty. he's just not
The best way to describe it is this...

I love Mike Green and he is a great dman. But I wouldn't want a Dcorps consisting of 6 Mike Greens. There are other elements and skills you need in that mix of Dmen.

Right now the Caps have 3 sure fire top 4 Dmen who would be top 4 on any team in the league individually.

However...NONE of those guys brings any form of intimidation of consistent physical play to their game. Green has shown a bit of flash in the past but they need to perserve him and keep him healthy. Carlson and Alzner are fine young dmen but physical they are not.

We need a physical element in the top 4. In fact we need more than one! Since Chara isn't available I think Erskine can do well enough.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...ad-once-again/

Old
09-23-2013, 04:10 PM
txpd

bobbyr, your problem is that you seem to be saying that the quality of Erskine's defense is almost irrelevant because he is the only guy that can bring the pain. against playoff level competition while playing top 4 minutes and assignments, his lack of game gives up more than his physical play and intimidation and fighting ability brings. its a net loss.

square peg/round hole. you are trying to stuff a 5 into the place for a 4 and against poor or marginal opposition it works fine. against playoff completion he gets used up.

if you want a top 4 that hurts people and scares people, beat the drum for McPhee to get one. Erskine aint it.

sounds to me like you would rather have Erskine playing over his head than an actual 4 that doesn't play the style you want.

Closed Thread