HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part LXVII - All Talk From Around the League Here

Closed Thread

Old
09-22-2013, 09:38 PM
HTTP 400 Bad Request

vCash: 13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
It was a total dick move for Scott to go after Kessel. That being said, what Kessel did with his stick work was ridiculous. Constant slashing and spearing before during and after was a joke. I can tell you that sparks are going to fly next time those two teams meet. I'd actually look forward to watching a game where I know Kessel is going to be hunted like a wild animal.
Sabres are no match for Leafs toughness. They won't win at this game.

Old
09-22-2013, 09:39 PM
MXD

vCash: 500
That incident reminds me of this :

Nieds got 7 games, I believe.

Old
09-22-2013, 09:40 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theosis View Post
I'd be ashamed if one of our players acted like Kessel. 2 handing a guy tied up with 2 people and then going back again later while hes tied up with a referee and spearing him.
Who cares really...

Kessel is a little gumball of no muscles.... The other is some kind of crazy experiment at creating a hockey player with predator genes...

Old
09-22-2013, 09:40 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
That incident reminds me of this :

Nieds got 7 games, I believe.
Head versus legs...not even close.

Old
09-22-2013, 09:41 PM
HTTP 400 Bad Request

vCash: 13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Not only that, but Worrell also had his gloves on. He wasn't running after Nieds...

Old
09-22-2013, 09:42 PM
Mrb1p

You guys sound like freaking leafs/sens/bruins fans... ****ing ridiculous, give your head a shake, I don't want to be a part of something like that.

Old
09-22-2013, 09:42 PM
Andy

Regardless of what Scott did, Kessel should be suspended. No room in hockey for stick swinging.

Old
09-22-2013, 09:44 PM
jedimyrmidon

Quote:
But Scott didn't retaliate for what Orr did to Pleks did he? So in the context of tonight's game it was uncalled for and totally stupid. Sympathy? No, of course not, who cares about the rest of the league. Still, it doesn't make what Scott did acceptable. 'Cause that way, everything becomes subjective and I can tell you that some people will find what Orr did to Pleks totally acceptable based on the fact that Pleks grabbed Orr stick prior and threw it in the Habs zone.....or that Bourque deserved it 'cause he went towards Orr and he "defended" himself.....And if players attack Gallagher, it's because he has a big mouth...or Subban etc....The day we start trying to rationalize why a stupid move might be acceptable, this is where it will never stop and get uglier.
Never said what Scott did was acceptable. Never. I don't see why players like Scott, Orr and McLaren are in the NHL. Too much stupidity. My point was that Orr and McLaren on the Leafs like to take Scott's role in the context of Habs-Leafs game and they are glorified for it. The same thing happens in turn to the Leafs? It's labelled as classless, etc, etc.

As for rationalizing stupid moves: I sincerely question people's judgement if they think that Pleks grabbing Orr's stick means that he somehow 'deserves' to suffer a major injury, i.e., that Orr is within his rights to retaliate by taking a run at Pleks. It means they suffer from a lack of perspective. The same applies to people who think that Brad Marchand and Brendan Gallagher are similar in terms of character.

Old
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Regardless of what Scott did, Kessel should be suspended. No room in hockey for stick swinging.
Especially when Scott was already "took care" of by Kessel teammates. You can't two hand slash a guy like that while being the third man.

Old
MXD

Quote:
I know, but that's probably the closest thing I could think of (goon vs. star player)

Old
Lars Mon Amour
Mon beau Lars

Quote:
The 1st one was fine (for me at least). But he did another one PLUS a spear? Okay man, no need for that.

Shanahan has a lot of work to do this week.

Old
09-22-2013, 09:46 PM
habsrule22

Quote:
'Cause Carlyle is actually in the process of evaluation and never thought that Scott would actually attack a star player as you still rarely see something like that. Will he make that "mistake" again...of course not. But no need to try to say that Carlisle is responsible for something the dumb tower did....Geez, guys, don't make me defend this ****ing team.....feeling dirty...
Carlyle made a mistake he could evaluate 19 other players He needed to have a knuckle head in his line up just in case Scott wanted to start something which he did. Why he put kessel out on a face off next to scott What he was evaluating there. What a skill guy can do next to a goon. Anyway it will cost them Clarkson for 10 games and Kessel for ?.

Old
09-22-2013, 09:48 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Looking at Carlyle behind the bench he looks like he enjoys the blood sport . Habs should not play stupid with that mentality .

Old
09-22-2013, 09:50 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule22 View Post
Carlyle made a mistake he could evaluate 19 other players He needed to have a knuckle head in his line up just in case Scott wanted to start something which he did. Why he put kessel out on a face off next to scott What he was evaluating there. What a skill guy can do next to a goon. Anyway it will cost them Clarkson for 10 games and Kessel for ?.
Clearly never thought Scott would try to fight Kessel. I mean, we all think Chara and Lucic are dumb like there's no tomorrow, and would you have thought for 1 second that in a game, you wouldn't match Gionta against Lucic 'cause the latter "could" punch him? Sorry, this will never work with me. Should we be furious with Marian Hossa 'cause he was stupid enough to not have his head up when a guy like Torres was on the ice? Same with Marc Savard regarding Cooke? The day there's accountability in this league, the day it will be much more professionnal.

Old
09-22-2013, 09:51 PM
Tusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule22 View Post
Orr and Mclaren(sp?) are injured and the nights designated Leafs goon was already in the box for the prior fight.

Old
09-22-2013, 09:52 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
This is freakin John Scott we,re talking about. When another Sabres more of his size got to him and fought him, Kessel fought back and did pretty good for himself. So easy to call players ******* when they are facing a nutcase who is almost 1 feet taller than him....
I think the whole thing is a joke really. This is freaking preseason and you have your two #1 goalies fighting..Really?

As for Scott dropping them against Kessel, you're assuming it's because the Leafs dropped a Sabres in a fight just before.
Well first off, unless I'm mistaken. The fight was completely uneven to begin with. Leafs guy is 6'5 220, Sabres is 6' 185. It might have been a completely legit fight, I have no clue really as to how the games (yesterday's and tonight's) between both teams developed.
Maybe Kessel said some crap to Scott. Who knows. We don't, not as of yet and maybe never.

In any event, that's why fighting is so retarded. There's really no regulation, and the bad far outweighs the good. But seeing how it is permitted, Scott didn't do much wrong other than instigate. Kessel should never slash though, not to mention he gets the urge to come back after the dust seems to settle and poke Scott with his stick. That's just stupid.

But my guess is there's more to it than just a Sabres losing a fight so Scott goes to punch Kessel. I really doubt it's that simple.

Old
09-22-2013, 09:53 PM
Draft

Disgusting example of the worst part of our sport.

Old
09-22-2013, 09:53 PM
TonsofPuppies*
#ThePriceIsRight

Carlyle said in his post game interview that he put Kessel and Bozak on the ice to "defuse" the situation when Scott came onto the ice after Devane dropped Tropp in a fight. He didn't think Scott would try to jump Kessel.

Old
09-22-2013, 09:55 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
But my guess is there's more to it than just a Sabres losing a fight so Scott goes to punch Kessel. I really doubt it's that simple.
Well it fits my theory about stupid retaliation after a legal hit and now even a legal fight. Yes, weight class was off for the first one but watch the replay and if the Sabres player didn't initiate it, it was damn close. But no...I wouldn't be surprised if it was just it. Kessel might be a yapper....just like Gallagher is. Should we then expect Chara to go after Gallagher 'cause of his yapping? That's what it is now? And Emelin and Subban have to stop hitting 'cause they'll have to fight Westgarth, Scott or Chara immediatley after their big hits? Really NHL???

Old
09-22-2013, 09:56 PM
AntonCH

Quote:
and this is the quote of the evening
Rough it up all you want
Goon it up etc

Stick swinging is not justifiable by any extent of the imagination

Old
09-22-2013, 09:58 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonsofPuppies View Post
Carlyle said in his post game interview that he put Kessel and Bozak on the ice to "defuse" the situation when Scott came onto the ice after Devane dropped Tropp in a fight. He didn't think Scott would try to jump Kessel.
I doubt Carlye wanted to defuse anything. But let just say that he knows that if he puts Clarkson in, Scott do indeed jump him, and Clarkson don't back down but gets Ko'ed....and Toronto loses him for a while. He didn't know that Clarkson would be so stupid than they'd lose him anyway but that's another story....So the idea was to not try to match Scott thinking the big man would not have the nerve to drop them against a smaller skilled guy....he knows better now.

Old
09-22-2013, 10:02 PM
TonsofPuppies*
#ThePriceIsRight

Quote:
I doubt Carlye wanted to defuse anything. But let just say that he knows that if he puts Clarkson in, Scott do indeed jump him, and Clarkson don't back down but gets Ko'ed....and Toronto loses him for a while. He didn't know that Clarkson would be so stupid than they'd lose him anyway but that's another story....So the idea was to not try to match Scott thinking the big man would not have the nerve to drop them against a smaller skilled guy....he knows better now.
Scott was yapping at Kessel when the 2nd period ended, at the buzzer. There was definitely a bit of animosity between them brewing. Carlyle will learn from his mistake, as you said. As for the Devane/Tropp fight, it was Tropp who initiated the fight with Devane. Not a smart move to take on a guy with 3 inches and 30 lbs on you.

Old
09-22-2013, 10:02 PM
rockjngo

Kessel should get a few games for his stick swinging incident.

Old
09-22-2013, 10:03 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
and this is the quote of the evening
Rough it up all you want
Goon it up etc

Stick swinging is not justifiable by any extent of the imagination
Why is that? So you can goon it up, so John Scott could actually take Kessel by the neck, knock him once on the ice, take him on the neck again and give him a 2nd concussion on the same play...but Kessel can't give a bruise on somebody's ankle? So you can actually aim to have a knee on knee collision to try to end's somebody's career but can't slash a guy's leg? What rule is that? Any type of violence should be acceptable...not sure why stick swing is 1st on the list....

Old
09-22-2013, 10:04 PM
jedimyrmidon

On another note, I hope Tropp (guy who got pumelled by Devane) didn't hit his head on the ice hard after he went down.

Closed Thread