Notices

Dallas Stars 2013 Draft Scouting Reports -- Nichushkin @ #10, Dickinson @ #29

Old
07-03-2013, 12:57 PM
Henderson33

vCash: 500
Quote:
Don Cherry ‏@CoachsCornerCBC 3m

3) Dallas taking Valeri Nichushkin over Max Domi. Florida taking Aleksander Barkov over Drouin. Didn't they see the Stanley Cup Finals?
Don Cherry is going on one of his rants again........

Henderson33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 12:59 PM
Phil Connors*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henderson33 View Post
I like what I've seen from Domi, looks like a fireball. But there is no way we should have passed on Nichushkin (I finally spelled his name right without looking elsewhere).

Phil Connors* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 01:14 PM
Klockis
I need girl

Quote:
I love Cherry. He is the best thing to happen to televised hockey.

Klockis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 01:57 PM
haf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klockis View Post
I love Cherry. He is the best thing to happen to televised hockey.
I actually really do enjoy Cherry. He is...er..."colorful"?

He often has interesting and valid things to say acutally. He just also says outlandish nonsense often enough that it gets hard to take him seriously.

haf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 02:01 PM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Ya so, in the Russian press media types that are the flip side of Don Cherry are blasting the 9 teams that passed on Nichushkin... and already regretting him falling in the lap of Ruff. They characterized Ruff as a poor to mediocre coach, not the world's greatest Russo-phobe, but not Russia friendly either.

Mr Writer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 02:03 PM
Klockis
I need girl

I find his opinions about us europeans funny. Also he has an appeal to television because weather you agree with him he is still entertaining which is the only thing that matters on TV.

I found his tweets funny because they are so outlandish and based on national pride. So yes I enjoy him.

Klockis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 03:07 PM
Henderson33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
Ya so, in the Russian press media types that are the flip side of Don Cherry are blasting the 9 teams that passed on Nichushkin... and already regretting him falling in the lap of Ruff. They characterized Ruff as a poor to mediocre coach, not the world's greatest Russo-phobe, but not Russia friendly either.
Are the Russians blasting those 9 teams because they think Russian hockey players are better then Canadian, American, Finnish, & Swedish hockey players? If so then they're just as bad. I haven't read any so I wouldn't know.

Thinking that Domi, Horvat, Nurse & Monahan are better prospects then Nichushkin, Ristolainen, & Lindholm because of skill/potential is much different then thinking they're better because of where they're from. I'm not "shaking my head" at Cherry because he thinks Domi is a better prospect then Valeri, its why he thinks he's a better prospect.

Old
07-03-2013, 03:15 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Are the Russians blasting those 9 teams because they think Russian hockey players are better then Canadian, American, Finnish, & Swedish hockey players? If so then they're just as bad. I haven't read any so I wouldn't know.

Thinking that Domi, Horvat, Nurse & Monahan are better prospects then Nichushkin, Ristolainen, & Lindholm because of skill/potential is much different then thinking they're better because of where they're from. I'm not "shaking my head" at Cherry because he thinks Domi is a better prospect then Valeri, its why he thinks he's a better prospect.
The top 6 are the only players who really have an argument for being better prospects than Nichushkin. If he weren't Russian, it easily would've been a top 7 instead. And even Monahan and Lindholm are debatable as being better prospects. That argument at least makes a bit of sense.

Domi over Nichushkin...? Not even close. Nichushkin has him beat in just about everything outside of playmaking.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 03:37 PM
Henderson33

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
The top 6 are the only players who really have an argument for being better prospects than Nichushkin. If he weren't Russian, it easily would've been a top 7 instead. And even Monahan and Lindholm are debatable as being better prospects. That argument at least makes a bit of sense.

Domi over Nichushkin...? Not even close. Nichushkin has him beat in just about everything outside of playmaking.
I agree with Nichushkin being better then Domi, I was just using him as the example because that's who Don referenced in his tweet.

Old
07-03-2013, 04:05 PM
Mr Writer

Quote:

The most objective of the Russian experts believes that the spot for number 1 should have only been between Nichushkin and Mackinnon. Nichushkin, he argued, distinguished himself throughout the year more than any other with the exception of perhaps Mackinnon.

Re: Cherry. I can't figure out for the life of my why people pay so much attention to the blatter Cherry spews. I like Cherry, I think he's entertaining, but the day I take anything he says with less than half a smirk, is the day I give up hockey forever. Cherry loves Tie Domi. He knows Max since Max was born. Cherry is out every night supporting the kids who play in the GTHL.. it's just Cherry being loyal to his kids who he watched growing up in the GTHL. I mean so what if he thinks Max Domi is the best prospect since Napolean was a cadet... does it really matter? He's a cartoon character. I love him to pieces... but people just hang way too much weight on to his 6 minute weekly show. And Don Cherry does a lot for the kids.

Mr Writer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 07:40 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
Edit: And thanks for digging G, I have no problem with the picks of the last few years, just think it's amazing that in this day and age with the internet and all the information we have that there's still nothing much to be found on these guys. I guess they were unlikely to be scouted by regularly scouting services.
On that note, I would be really interested to find out how many players were ranked/expected to be drafted by the various scouting services then compare that to who was actually drafted. How many of their ranked guys didn't get drafted and how many drafted players did they not rank? Would be a lot of work but really interesting.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 07:42 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klockis View Post
I find his opinions about us europeans funny. Also he has an appeal to television because weather you agree with him he is still entertaining which is the only thing that matters on TV.

I found his tweets funny because they are so outlandish and based on national pride. So yes I enjoy him.
Watching Don Cherry for me is a bit like listening to my late grandfather talk about anyone who wasn't white American. Even an 11 year old knows most of what he's saying is pure bs.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 07:53 PM
BigG44

Some quotes from the story Lobo posted in the other thread:

Quote:
Petes' GM Mike Oke said Paulovic addresses needs for size and a right shot forward and he expects him to step into a role on one of the club's top three lines.

Oke said a Slovakian contact of his first tipped him off to Paulovic and NHL connections including Dallas management provided more information on a player he hasn't seen in person.

“We've talked to a fair number of contacts and watched a little bit of video on him,” Oke said. “He's highly regarded and is known for having a pretty good skill set. He plays hard and brings a solid effort to the rink. A couple of people have mentioned, too, about his character. He's a character kid.”

Oke said Paulovic's agent has confirmed his intent to come to North America which is supported by the Stars. Dallas scout J.J. Johnston and special consultant Bob Gainey will be able to monitor his development here, said Oke.

Another bonus is Paulovic has already lived away from home for two years.

“He's done the move away from home thing already so that adjustment may not be there as it would for some other players,” said Oke. “Like everybody, it will be a bit of an adjustment to the North American ice.”

While Paulovic has been playing left wing in Sweden, Oke says his right shot will allow him to play on the right side in Peterborough or he also has experience at centre.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 04:30 AM
Captain Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
On that note, I would be really interested to find out how many players were ranked/expected to be drafted by the various scouting services then compare that to who was actually drafted. How many of their ranked guys didn't get drafted and how many drafted players did they not rank? Would be a lot of work but really interesting.
Without having a hard look I would guess that once you get past the 4th round all bets are off, and everyone's list gets insanely divergent to the point where half of the names in CSS and other scouting services just don't match up with teams. Last year Kiviaho wasn't ranked by CSS and he was a 5th rounder.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 03:14 PM
SnapVirus

Will Nichushkin starts the season in Dallas, any word on that so far?

SnapVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 03:15 PM
Primetimey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapVirus View Post
Will Nichushkin starts the season in Dallas, any word on that so far?
Seems likely. Especially with Eriksson gone.

Primetimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 04:59 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Well the run on LW this draft makes a lot more sense now if Jim Nill was shopping Fraser and Smith. LW now is our weakest organizational position.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 05:24 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
Well the run on LW this draft makes a lot more sense now if Jim Nill was shopping Fraser and Smith. LW now is our weakest organizational position.
Yea, everything's starting to make a lot more sense. But if it's our weakest, we're in very good shape.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 10:40 PM
BigG44

I didn't want this to get lost in a off-season thread, and it could be interesting to revisit someday.

This is a story about Nichushkin from the POV of the father of the family serving essentially as his billet.

I secretly hate the 12 year old son for getting to sit in on contract negotiations.

Old
09-22-2013, 11:02 PM
rudiger
I like hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
I didn't want this to get lost in a off-season thread, and it could be interesting to revisit someday.

This is a story about Nichushkin from the POV of the father of the family serving essentially as his billet.

I secretly hate the 12 year old son for getting to sit in on contract negotiations.
Kinda makes me wonder (or wish) that all of this was being videoed for some type of 24/7 documentary.

"Nichushkin - My Summer in Dallas"

rudiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 11:09 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudiger View Post
Kinda makes me wonder (or wish) that all of this was being videoed for some type of 24/7 documentary.

"Nichushkin - My Summer in Dallas"
Don't worry ... it'll be a movie soon enough. Hockey's version of Blind Side minus the homelessness, and instead of the Mom being the main character, Nichushkin marries one of the teenage daughters.

Hockey needs another "Miracle" ... or "Mystery, Alaska" at least.

Old
09-23-2013, 11:47 AM
Primetimey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post

Wow great read, thanks for linking that. Speaking of media coverage.. huge half page article with color photo of Seguin in the Winnipeg Free Press sports section today. Was surprised to stumble on that.

Primetimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 12:29 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
"He does not like spicy food."

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 12:42 PM
Nemeth
Mo Money Mo Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
"He does not like spicy food."

People on the main board will read "He has attitude problems".

Nemeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 02:28 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Read bland Russian meat & potatoes upbringing. Mexican will have to be introduced slowly and carefully.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote