HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Murray & Parros practicing with the team (no contact) Oct. 25

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-20-2013, 01:20 PM
  #176
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,924
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
You need to read up on playing defense. Not sure where you get this strange concept that all a defensemna should do in his own end is defend the front of the net...brillaint!

Here's a few things I know as a goalie (and any logical human being should know)

Players can't score from the sideboards.
They can't score from behind the net.

Wingers are supposed to go cover the point men and engage along the boards.
Centers come down low to help defenseman out and try to get the puck transitioned up the ice.

Defensemans primary goal is to defend. So they will stop the oncoming rush and once offensive zone pressure is established, they drift back toward their goaltender to defend the crease and slot area. The minute as a defender you get drawn behind the net or to the side boards, YOU OPEN UP THE ICE THAT MUST BE DEFENDED.

I'd love to see what you think your defenseman should do, because if you think they should start chasing behind the net and to the boards, well, that's when everything breaks down and chances happen.

Why do you think coaches, goalies and teammates are irate when defenseman bite and go behind their own net? When the man they are covering goes behind the net, you stand on the post and don't allow a) pass outs into the slot b) wrap-arounds and c) net drives.

Smart defenseman take away the ice that forwards want. They force players to put pucks into defended areas or make bad decisions to try to get to the ice they want. Bad defenseman chase the puck and the play and end up behind it most of the time. Where was Bouillon on all of those clips? Sucked up the boards.. chasing the play and causing breakdowns all over the ice SIMPLY because he doesn't understand that you don't chase the puck into quiet areas where there is NO perceivable threat.

I'm done with this discussion. If you can't understand these simple notions of what defenders are supposed to do, then I can't expect you to actually understand why Bouillon is an atrocious defenseman.

WeThreeKings is offline  
Old
09-20-2013, 01:48 PM
  #177
PRMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Yorba Linda, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,660
vCash: 500
Kings fan here. You're not supposed to actually PLAY Drewiske, just have him on the bench... See what happens?

J/K, hope he gets well soon and cracks your lineup. He's a very good player and deserves a shot.

PRMan is offline  
Old
09-21-2013, 05:42 AM
  #178
Tuggy
Registered User
 
Tuggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Saint John
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Because he's not that good. He may have handled his 29 total minutes of career NHL icetime "fairly well" to your eye, but he looked barely adequate - even in the context of a prospect who is expected to get better - to mine.
Pateryn looked pretty comfortable last night and continues to make a case for himself.

Tuggy is offline  
Old
09-21-2013, 07:08 AM
  #179
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 22,018
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Pateryn looked pretty comfortable last night and continues to make a case for himself.
It would certainly seem that there was some positive mixed in with the reviews from last night.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline  
Old
09-21-2013, 01:30 PM
  #180
David Thicke
Hockey's Future Staff
 
David Thicke's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 203
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Here's a few things I know as a goalie (and any logical human being should know)

Players can't score from the sideboards.
They can't score from behind the net.

Wingers are supposed to go cover the point men and engage along the boards.
Centers come down low to help defenseman out and try to get the puck transitioned up the ice.

Defensemans primary goal is to defend. So they will stop the oncoming rush and once offensive zone pressure is established, they drift back toward their goaltender to defend the crease and slot area. The minute as a defender you get drawn behind the net or to the side boards, YOU OPEN UP THE ICE THAT MUST BE DEFENDED.

I'd love to see what you think your defenseman should do, because if you think they should start chasing behind the net and to the boards, well, that's when everything breaks down and chances happen.

Why do you think coaches, goalies and teammates are irate when defenseman bite and go behind their own net? When the man they are covering goes behind the net, you stand on the post and don't allow a) pass outs into the slot b) wrap-arounds and c) net drives.

Smart defenseman take away the ice that forwards want. They force players to put pucks into defended areas or make bad decisions to try to get to the ice they want. Bad defenseman chase the puck and the play and end up behind it most of the time. Where was Bouillon on all of those clips? Sucked up the boards.. chasing the play and causing breakdowns all over the ice SIMPLY because he doesn't understand that you don't chase the puck into quiet areas where there is NO perceivable threat.

I'm done with this discussion. If you can't understand these simple notions of what defenders are supposed to do, then I can't expect you to actually understand why Bouillon is an atrocious defenseman.
I have to agree with you. As a minor league coach teaching kids ages 7-16 to play their own positions not the other guy's. I am constantly telling them not to follow what the NHLer's do. Defenseman are named that because their job is to DEFEND whether it's their end of the rink or the oppositions blue line keeping the puck in for the forwards. If I want all this offense out of my defensemen then I'll make them forwards. The defensemen's job is to get the puck up the ice and out of his zone and don't moved up the ice until you done that. Never leave the front of the net until the puck is out over the blue line.

If the other team can score from a bad angle on the outside along the boards or the corner of the rink or even behind the net then it's the goalie's fault unless of course the puck is deflexed or goes off a body in front (just bad luck). I constantly tell my kids never give up the middle of the ice in our zone give them the boards and don't chase to them towards the boards just stay in the middle areas so they can't cut back behind you. Never pass it up the middle or towards the front of our net unless it's absolutely wide open all the way to the blue line and you rip the puck when passing it, never softly so it can't be intercepted or at worst it's iced. Don't skate it out in front of your net, go up the boards it's safer and when you are in trouble eat the puck in the corner or behind the net. If the puck is throw towards our net and you are under pressure and need to just get rid of the puck throw it to the corner or the boards never back up the middle of the ice. Watch how the pros play and there's where all the mistakes come from on the ice. Poor habits and the thought that they are good enough to do this without getting caught by the opposition player.

I found the Swarm concept used by the Canadiens last season in the defensive zone to be so faulty. It's a system used in the minor leagues for a reason. I never want to leave the slot area protected only by a forward or worse wide open (happen way too often by the Habs & their goalies were hung out to dry) because the forwards think automatically about offense first and defend second. The Canadiens were easily exposed late in the year because the other teams quickly figured out that they just have to get on the puck in the corner ahead or at the same time as the Habs defensemen, force them physically before the second Habs defenseman arrived to help and then quickly move the puck around to the opposite corner or to the area where the second defend just left. As a forward, I would absolutely love to be defended in front of the opposition's net by a forward not a defenseman who are used to doing that job. The winger dropping down to the slot also opened up the point man to move in or even jump in to retrieve the puck if it was pushed around to the other corner by his attacking forward. For me, this was the biggest problem with Canadiens' defense but it was used because our mobile puck movers and offensive types defenders were too small or not strong enough to win one on one battles in the corner or behind the net (not Subban or Emelin, Pateryn & Tinordi were just inexperienced). The Habs have to make more adjustments to their defensive system this season to avoid this from happening. It's more about having the right mix of puck movers and strong physical defenders that are good one on one down low. It will take time to change the defense to the right mix with the right physicality and speed.

Just my opinion!

David Thicke is offline  
Old
09-21-2013, 02:01 PM
  #181
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 24,005
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
You need to read up on playing defense. Not sure where you get this strange concept that all a defensemna should do in his own end is defend the front of the net...brillaint!

Having played defense for 10years, I agree with WTK. There are times to chase the puck, and if you go into board battles, you better win otherwise the opponent has the upper hand.
If it's a battle where the opponent is going behind the net going to the other side, then you need to get back in front asap, and it'll be the job of your partner to cut the angles for passes.

Once the play is your zone, the priority as a Dman is to defend around the crease.

Being able to read plays well, have good judgments as to when to be aggressive, and win board battles is what makes you solid in your zone.

That was a big reason why Gorges was solid for us. But last year he seemed to have lost his magic touch.

Kriss E is offline  
Old
09-21-2013, 02:53 PM
  #182
Habsawce
Registered User
 
Habsawce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 12,608
vCash: 500
Tinordi and Pateryn looked very uncomfortable last night in a lot of situations but should more than fill the roles and gain some valuable experience while the veterans are out with these injuries.

That's how young players earn spots tbh, fill in a couple days and make it impossible to replace them in the line up. Let's hope some of these kids can do this.

Habsawce is offline  
Old
09-21-2013, 06:50 PM
  #183
sharks9
Registered User
 
sharks9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 8,433
vCash: 500
On RDS they just showed Emelin skating, it would be nice if he could get back ahead of schedule

sharks9 is online now  
Old
09-22-2013, 10:37 AM
  #184
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,924
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Having played defense for 10years, I agree with WTK. There are times to chase the puck, and if you go into board battles, you better win otherwise the opponent has the upper hand.
If it's a battle where the opponent is going behind the net going to the other side, then you need to get back in front asap, and it'll be the job of your partner to cut the angles for passes.

Once the play is your zone, the priority as a Dman is to defend around the crease.

Being able to read plays well, have good judgments as to when to be aggressive, and win board battles is what makes you solid in your zone.

That was a big reason why Gorges was solid for us. But last year he seemed to have lost his magic touch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Thicke View Post
I have to agree with you. As a minor league coach teaching kids ages 7-16 to play their own positions not the other guy's. I am constantly telling them not to follow what the NHLer's do. Defenseman are named that because their job is to DEFEND whether it's their end of the rink or the oppositions blue line keeping the puck in for the forwards. If I want all this offense out of my defensemen then I'll make them forwards. The defensemen's job is to get the puck up the ice and out of his zone and don't moved up the ice until you done that. Never leave the front of the net until the puck is out over the blue line.

If the other team can score from a bad angle on the outside along the boards or the corner of the rink or even behind the net then it's the goalie's fault unless of course the puck is deflexed or goes off a body in front (just bad luck). I constantly tell my kids never give up the middle of the ice in our zone give them the boards and don't chase to them towards the boards just stay in the middle areas so they can't cut back behind you. Never pass it up the middle or towards the front of our net unless it's absolutely wide open all the way to the blue line and you rip the puck when passing it, never softly so it can't be intercepted or at worst it's iced. Don't skate it out in front of your net, go up the boards it's safer and when you are in trouble eat the puck in the corner or behind the net. If the puck is throw towards our net and you are under pressure and need to just get rid of the puck throw it to the corner or the boards never back up the middle of the ice. Watch how the pros play and there's where all the mistakes come from on the ice. Poor habits and the thought that they are good enough to do this without getting caught by the opposition player.

I found the Swarm concept used by the Canadiens last season in the defensive zone to be so faulty. It's a system used in the minor leagues for a reason. I never want to leave the slot area protected only by a forward or worse wide open (happen way too often by the Habs & their goalies were hung out to dry) because the forwards think automatically about offense first and defend second. The Canadiens were easily exposed late in the year because the other teams quickly figured out that they just have to get on the puck in the corner ahead or at the same time as the Habs defensemen, force them physically before the second Habs defenseman arrived to help and then quickly move the puck around to the opposite corner or to the area where the second defend just left. As a forward, I would absolutely love to be defended in front of the opposition's net by a forward not a defenseman who are used to doing that job. The winger dropping down to the slot also opened up the point man to move in or even jump in to retrieve the puck if it was pushed around to the other corner by his attacking forward. For me, this was the biggest problem with Canadiens' defense but it was used because our mobile puck movers and offensive types defenders were too small or not strong enough to win one on one battles in the corner or behind the net (not Subban or Emelin, Pateryn & Tinordi were just inexperienced). The Habs have to make more adjustments to their defensive system this season to avoid this from happening. It's more about having the right mix of puck movers and strong physical defenders that are good one on one down low. It will take time to change the defense to the right mix with the right physicality and speed.

Just my opinion!
Thanks guys.

WeThreeKings is offline  
Old
09-22-2013, 12:56 PM
  #185
EveryDay
Registered User
 
EveryDay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,633
vCash: 500
Emelin skate this morning with no contact jersey for 40 minutes!!!!!!

Parros back on the ice with regular jersey(with contact)
Bouillon Beaulieu and Moen are back with the team as well!!!


Pretty good news this morining


http://www.rds.ca/hockey/canadiens/t...pent-1.662754+

Lines at practice today

Pacioretty / Desharnais / Brière
Bourque / Plekanec / Gionta
Galchenyuk / Eller / Gallagher
Moen / White / Prust
Parros/St-Pierre / Tarnasky

Diaz / Markov
Gorges / Subban
Beaulieu / Bouillon

EveryDay is offline  
Old
09-22-2013, 02:12 PM
  #186
kassian
Emelin's face plate
 
kassian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Montreal
Country: Netherlands Antilles
Posts: 4,108
vCash: 500
If Emelin can play on October 1st... One can only hope.

kassian is offline  
Old
09-22-2013, 02:24 PM
  #187
charlie
Registered User
 
charlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,290
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kassian View Post
If Emelin can play on October 1st... One can only hope.
didn't Markov skate for like 3 months before he came back.

charlie is online now  
Old
09-22-2013, 02:40 PM
  #188
EurOConnEcton
Registered User
 
EurOConnEcton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 248
vCash: 500
Its great news to hear Emelin skating for a 40 minutes!!. Let's not get carried away though, even if he is ahead of schedule he won't be in the lineup any time soon. Maybe we can cross our fingers for mid November!!

EurOConnEcton is offline  
Old
09-22-2013, 02:41 PM
  #189
Grant McCagg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,257
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDay View Post
Lines at practice today

Pacioretty / Desharnais / Brière
Bourque / Plekanec / Gionta
Galchenyuk / Eller / Gallagher
Moen / White / Prust
Parros/St-Pierre / Tarnasky

Diaz / Markov
Gorges / Subban
Beaulieu / Bouillon
I'd like to see a couple of games with NB and the cube paired together...a play by play announcer's nightmare.

Grant McCagg is offline  
Old
09-22-2013, 02:51 PM
  #190
OpenIceHit
Registered User
 
OpenIceHit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDay View Post
Emelin skate this morning with no contact jersey for 40 minutes!!!!!!

Parros back on the ice with regular jersey(with contact)
Bouillon Beaulieu and Moen are back with the team as well!!!


Pretty good news this morining


http://www.rds.ca/hockey/canadiens/t...pent-1.662754+

Lines at practice today

Pacioretty / Desharnais / Brière
Bourque / Plekanec / Gionta
Galchenyuk / Eller / Gallagher
Moen / White / Prust
Parros/St-Pierre / Tarnasky

Diaz / Markov
Gorges / Subban
Beaulieu / Bouillon
Again! Plekanec with the worst wingers!!! Poor guy! Except for one season with Kovalev, he never had the chance to play with the best wingers on this team...

OpenIceHit is offline  
Old
09-22-2013, 03:16 PM
  #191
Maxpac
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 14,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit View Post
Again! Plekanec with the worst wingers!!! Poor guy! Except for one season with Kovalev, he never had the chance to play with the best wingers on this team...
Stop complaining, lines are as best ad they can be. We saw yesterday what Briere can do for our power-play. He'll open new lanes for Subban because he's a threat himself on the high-left.

Maxpac is offline  
Old
09-22-2013, 03:24 PM
  #192
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW
 
Hannibal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,646
vCash: 500
Parros, please be ready for October 1st!

Hannibal is online now  
Old
09-22-2013, 04:32 PM
  #193
kassian
Emelin's face plate
 
kassian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Montreal
Country: Netherlands Antilles
Posts: 4,108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie View Post
didn't Markov skate for like 3 months before he came back.
Not without the no-contact jersey.

kassian is offline  
Old
09-22-2013, 06:00 PM
  #194
OpenIceHit
Registered User
 
OpenIceHit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Stop complaining, lines are as best ad they can be. We saw yesterday what Briere can do for our power-play. He'll open new lanes for Subban because he's a threat himself on the high-left.
I think that Plekanec can easily be in the NHL top 30 scorers year after year. But with Gionta and Bourque who are 40-45 pts players, it is not that easy. As you said, these might be the best lines but it just sucks for him...

OpenIceHit is offline  
Old
09-22-2013, 07:30 PM
  #195
Dwight
The French Tickler
 
Dwight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,799
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit View Post
Again! Plekanec with the worst wingers!!! Poor guy! Except for one season with Kovalev, he never had the chance to play with the best wingers on this team...
He put up 70 points a few years back with Kostitsyn and Pouliot on his wing. He can get it done, but he also gets tougher minutes.

Dwight is offline  
Old
09-22-2013, 07:32 PM
  #196
Crimson Skorpion
Moderator
 
Crimson Skorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lachine, Quebec
Country: Germany
Posts: 28,391
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Here's a few things I know as a goalie (and any logical human being should know)

Players can't score from the sideboards.
They can't score from behind the net.

Wingers are supposed to go cover the point men and engage along the boards.
Centers come down low to help defenseman out and try to get the puck transitioned up the ice.

Defensemans primary goal is to defend. So they will stop the oncoming rush and once offensive zone pressure is established, they drift back toward their goaltender to defend the crease and slot area. The minute as a defender you get drawn behind the net or to the side boards, YOU OPEN UP THE ICE THAT MUST BE DEFENDED.

I'd love to see what you think your defenseman should do, because if you think they should start chasing behind the net and to the boards, well, that's when everything breaks down and chances happen.

Why do you think coaches, goalies and teammates are irate when defenseman bite and go behind their own net? When the man they are covering goes behind the net, you stand on the post and don't allow a) pass outs into the slot b) wrap-arounds and c) net drives.

Smart defenseman take away the ice that forwards want. They force players to put pucks into defended areas or make bad decisions to try to get to the ice they want. Bad defenseman chase the puck and the play and end up behind it most of the time. Where was Bouillon on all of those clips? Sucked up the boards.. chasing the play and causing breakdowns all over the ice SIMPLY because he doesn't understand that you don't chase the puck into quiet areas where there is NO perceivable threat.

I'm done with this discussion. If you can't understand these simple notions of what defenders are supposed to do, then I can't expect you to actually understand why Bouillon is an atrocious defenseman.
As a defenseman that played from age 4 to age 16, I agree entirely with this post. From start to end, dead on.

__________________
Shawn Wilken,
Head of Hockey Department
LastWordOnSports.com


Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline  
Old
09-22-2013, 10:47 PM
  #197
Mr. Hab
Registered User
 
Mr. Hab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,076
vCash: 500
Thanks for the GREAT NEWS!!!!! (''EveryDay'' and ''sharks9'').

Emelin skating (may be ready in November? I just hope he comes back a 100%...better not to rush the knee).

Parros might be ready against the Leaves? (I hope so).
(Orr cannot ever again sucker punch our players, ex: Bourque).


I want all these players below to be dressed VS the Leaves:
Tinordi (may be dressed VS the Leaves? I hope so)
Murray - Diaz
Prust - White - Parros
Moen injured?? (day-to-day??? not sure...heard it on CTV sports, but I'm not 100% sure, sorry).

Mr. Hab is offline  
Old
09-22-2013, 10:54 PM
  #198
Mr. Hab
Registered User
 
Mr. Hab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,076
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
Parros, please be ready for October 1st!
Same here!! (really hope Parros will be ready on Oct.1st).
Parros, Murray, White, Tinordi, Prust (and maybe Moen if he's healthy?).

I want Prust to be able to play hockey.
(want him to have a full tank for playoffs!, not like last year).

Mr. Hab is offline  
Old
09-22-2013, 10:55 PM
  #199
hogtownhabsfan*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
Parros, please be ready for October 1st!
I really hope so too!

We can ice alot of tough guys now:

Prust-White-Parros

Murray-Tinordi


If there ever were to be a line brawl....

hogtownhabsfan* is offline  
Old
09-22-2013, 10:56 PM
  #200
hogtownhabsfan*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Same here!! (really hope Parros will be ready on Oct.1st).
Parros, Murray, White, Tinordi, Prust (and maybe Moen if he's healthy?).

I want Prust to be able to play hockey.
(want him to have a full tank for playoffs!, not like last year).
Beat me to it! Watching the Leafs/Sabres highlights, were ya?

At least Orr and McLaren are nursing injuries as well.


Last edited by hogtownhabsfan*: 09-22-2013 at 11:02 PM.
hogtownhabsfan* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:29 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.