HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Murray & Parros practicing with the team (no contact) Oct. 25

Closed Thread

Old
09-20-2013, 01:20 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
You need to read up on playing defense. Not sure where you get this strange concept that all a defensemna should do in his own end is defend the front of the net...brillaint!

Here's a few things I know as a goalie (and any logical human being should know)

Players can't score from the sideboards.
They can't score from behind the net.

Wingers are supposed to go cover the point men and engage along the boards.
Centers come down low to help defenseman out and try to get the puck transitioned up the ice.

Defensemans primary goal is to defend. So they will stop the oncoming rush and once offensive zone pressure is established, they drift back toward their goaltender to defend the crease and slot area. The minute as a defender you get drawn behind the net or to the side boards, YOU OPEN UP THE ICE THAT MUST BE DEFENDED.

I'd love to see what you think your defenseman should do, because if you think they should start chasing behind the net and to the boards, well, that's when everything breaks down and chances happen.

Why do you think coaches, goalies and teammates are irate when defenseman bite and go behind their own net? When the man they are covering goes behind the net, you stand on the post and don't allow a) pass outs into the slot b) wrap-arounds and c) net drives.

Smart defenseman take away the ice that forwards want. They force players to put pucks into defended areas or make bad decisions to try to get to the ice they want. Bad defenseman chase the puck and the play and end up behind it most of the time. Where was Bouillon on all of those clips? Sucked up the boards.. chasing the play and causing breakdowns all over the ice SIMPLY because he doesn't understand that you don't chase the puck into quiet areas where there is NO perceivable threat.

I'm done with this discussion. If you can't understand these simple notions of what defenders are supposed to do, then I can't expect you to actually understand why Bouillon is an atrocious defenseman.

Old
09-20-2013, 01:48 PM
PRMan

Kings fan here. You're not supposed to actually PLAY Drewiske, just have him on the bench... See what happens?

J/K, hope he gets well soon and cracks your lineup. He's a very good player and deserves a shot.

Old
09-21-2013, 05:42 AM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Because he's not that good. He may have handled his 29 total minutes of career NHL icetime "fairly well" to your eye, but he looked barely adequate - even in the context of a prospect who is expected to get better - to mine.
Pateryn looked pretty comfortable last night and continues to make a case for himself.

Old
09-21-2013, 07:08 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Pateryn looked pretty comfortable last night and continues to make a case for himself.
It would certainly seem that there was some positive mixed in with the reviews from last night.

Old
09-21-2013, 01:30 PM
David Thicke
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Here's a few things I know as a goalie (and any logical human being should know)

Centers come down low to help defenseman out and try to get the puck transitioned up the ice.

Defensemans primary goal is to defend. So they will stop the oncoming rush and once offensive zone pressure is established, they drift back toward their goaltender to defend the crease and slot area. The minute as a defender you get drawn behind the net or to the side boards, YOU OPEN UP THE ICE THAT MUST BE DEFENDED.

I'd love to see what you think your defenseman should do, because if you think they should start chasing behind the net and to the boards, well, that's when everything breaks down and chances happen.

Why do you think coaches, goalies and teammates are irate when defenseman bite and go behind their own net? When the man they are covering goes behind the net, you stand on the post and don't allow a) pass outs into the slot b) wrap-arounds and c) net drives.

Smart defenseman take away the ice that forwards want. They force players to put pucks into defended areas or make bad decisions to try to get to the ice they want. Bad defenseman chase the puck and the play and end up behind it most of the time. Where was Bouillon on all of those clips? Sucked up the boards.. chasing the play and causing breakdowns all over the ice SIMPLY because he doesn't understand that you don't chase the puck into quiet areas where there is NO perceivable threat.

I'm done with this discussion. If you can't understand these simple notions of what defenders are supposed to do, then I can't expect you to actually understand why Bouillon is an atrocious defenseman.
I have to agree with you. As a minor league coach teaching kids ages 7-16 to play their own positions not the other guy's. I am constantly telling them not to follow what the NHLer's do. Defenseman are named that because their job is to DEFEND whether it's their end of the rink or the oppositions blue line keeping the puck in for the forwards. If I want all this offense out of my defensemen then I'll make them forwards. The defensemen's job is to get the puck up the ice and out of his zone and don't moved up the ice until you done that. Never leave the front of the net until the puck is out over the blue line.

If the other team can score from a bad angle on the outside along the boards or the corner of the rink or even behind the net then it's the goalie's fault unless of course the puck is deflexed or goes off a body in front (just bad luck). I constantly tell my kids never give up the middle of the ice in our zone give them the boards and don't chase to them towards the boards just stay in the middle areas so they can't cut back behind you. Never pass it up the middle or towards the front of our net unless it's absolutely wide open all the way to the blue line and you rip the puck when passing it, never softly so it can't be intercepted or at worst it's iced. Don't skate it out in front of your net, go up the boards it's safer and when you are in trouble eat the puck in the corner or behind the net. If the puck is throw towards our net and you are under pressure and need to just get rid of the puck throw it to the corner or the boards never back up the middle of the ice. Watch how the pros play and there's where all the mistakes come from on the ice. Poor habits and the thought that they are good enough to do this without getting caught by the opposition player.

I found the Swarm concept used by the Canadiens last season in the defensive zone to be so faulty. It's a system used in the minor leagues for a reason. I never want to leave the slot area protected only by a forward or worse wide open (happen way too often by the Habs & their goalies were hung out to dry) because the forwards think automatically about offense first and defend second. The Canadiens were easily exposed late in the year because the other teams quickly figured out that they just have to get on the puck in the corner ahead or at the same time as the Habs defensemen, force them physically before the second Habs defenseman arrived to help and then quickly move the puck around to the opposite corner or to the area where the second defend just left. As a forward, I would absolutely love to be defended in front of the opposition's net by a forward not a defenseman who are used to doing that job. The winger dropping down to the slot also opened up the point man to move in or even jump in to retrieve the puck if it was pushed around to the other corner by his attacking forward. For me, this was the biggest problem with Canadiens' defense but it was used because our mobile puck movers and offensive types defenders were too small or not strong enough to win one on one battles in the corner or behind the net (not Subban or Emelin, Pateryn & Tinordi were just inexperienced). The Habs have to make more adjustments to their defensive system this season to avoid this from happening. It's more about having the right mix of puck movers and strong physical defenders that are good one on one down low. It will take time to change the defense to the right mix with the right physicality and speed.

Just my opinion!

Old
09-21-2013, 02:01 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
You need to read up on playing defense. Not sure where you get this strange concept that all a defensemna should do in his own end is defend the front of the net...brillaint!

Having played defense for 10years, I agree with WTK. There are times to chase the puck, and if you go into board battles, you better win otherwise the opponent has the upper hand.
If it's a battle where the opponent is going behind the net going to the other side, then you need to get back in front asap, and it'll be the job of your partner to cut the angles for passes.

Once the play is your zone, the priority as a Dman is to defend around the crease.

Being able to read plays well, have good judgments as to when to be aggressive, and win board battles is what makes you solid in your zone.

That was a big reason why Gorges was solid for us. But last year he seemed to have lost his magic touch.

Old
09-21-2013, 02:53 PM
Habsawce

Tinordi and Pateryn looked very uncomfortable last night in a lot of situations but should more than fill the roles and gain some valuable experience while the veterans are out with these injuries.

That's how young players earn spots tbh, fill in a couple days and make it impossible to replace them in the line up. Let's hope some of these kids can do this.

Old
09-21-2013, 06:50 PM
sharks9

On RDS they just showed Emelin skating, it would be nice if he could get back ahead of schedule

Old
09-22-2013, 10:37 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Having played defense for 10years, I agree with WTK. There are times to chase the puck, and if you go into board battles, you better win otherwise the opponent has the upper hand.
If it's a battle where the opponent is going behind the net going to the other side, then you need to get back in front asap, and it'll be the job of your partner to cut the angles for passes.

Once the play is your zone, the priority as a Dman is to defend around the crease.

Being able to read plays well, have good judgments as to when to be aggressive, and win board battles is what makes you solid in your zone.

That was a big reason why Gorges was solid for us. But last year he seemed to have lost his magic touch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Thicke View Post
I have to agree with you. As a minor league coach teaching kids ages 7-16 to play their own positions not the other guy's. I am constantly telling them not to follow what the NHLer's do. Defenseman are named that because their job is to DEFEND whether it's their end of the rink or the oppositions blue line keeping the puck in for the forwards. If I want all this offense out of my defensemen then I'll make them forwards. The defensemen's job is to get the puck up the ice and out of his zone and don't moved up the ice until you done that. Never leave the front of the net until the puck is out over the blue line.

If the other team can score from a bad angle on the outside along the boards or the corner of the rink or even behind the net then it's the goalie's fault unless of course the puck is deflexed or goes off a body in front (just bad luck). I constantly tell my kids never give up the middle of the ice in our zone give them the boards and don't chase to them towards the boards just stay in the middle areas so they can't cut back behind you. Never pass it up the middle or towards the front of our net unless it's absolutely wide open all the way to the blue line and you rip the puck when passing it, never softly so it can't be intercepted or at worst it's iced. Don't skate it out in front of your net, go up the boards it's safer and when you are in trouble eat the puck in the corner or behind the net. If the puck is throw towards our net and you are under pressure and need to just get rid of the puck throw it to the corner or the boards never back up the middle of the ice. Watch how the pros play and there's where all the mistakes come from on the ice. Poor habits and the thought that they are good enough to do this without getting caught by the opposition player.

I found the Swarm concept used by the Canadiens last season in the defensive zone to be so faulty. It's a system used in the minor leagues for a reason. I never want to leave the slot area protected only by a forward or worse wide open (happen way too often by the Habs & their goalies were hung out to dry) because the forwards think automatically about offense first and defend second. The Canadiens were easily exposed late in the year because the other teams quickly figured out that they just have to get on the puck in the corner ahead or at the same time as the Habs defensemen, force them physically before the second Habs defenseman arrived to help and then quickly move the puck around to the opposite corner or to the area where the second defend just left. As a forward, I would absolutely love to be defended in front of the opposition's net by a forward not a defenseman who are used to doing that job. The winger dropping down to the slot also opened up the point man to move in or even jump in to retrieve the puck if it was pushed around to the other corner by his attacking forward. For me, this was the biggest problem with Canadiens' defense but it was used because our mobile puck movers and offensive types defenders were too small or not strong enough to win one on one battles in the corner or behind the net (not Subban or Emelin, Pateryn & Tinordi were just inexperienced). The Habs have to make more adjustments to their defensive system this season to avoid this from happening. It's more about having the right mix of puck movers and strong physical defenders that are good one on one down low. It will take time to change the defense to the right mix with the right physicality and speed.

Just my opinion!
Thanks guys.

Old
09-22-2013, 12:56 PM
EveryDay

Emelin skate this morning with no contact jersey for 40 minutes!!!!!!

Parros back on the ice with regular jersey(with contact)
Bouillon Beaulieu and Moen are back with the team as well!!!

Pretty good news this morining

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/canadiens/t...pent-1.662754+

Lines at practice today

Pacioretty / Desharnais / Brière
Bourque / Plekanec / Gionta
Galchenyuk / Eller / Gallagher
Moen / White / Prust
Parros/St-Pierre / Tarnasky

Diaz / Markov
Gorges / Subban
Beaulieu / Bouillon

Old
09-22-2013, 02:12 PM
kassian
Emelin's face plate

If Emelin can play on October 1st... One can only hope.

Old
09-22-2013, 02:24 PM
charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kassian View Post
If Emelin can play on October 1st... One can only hope.
didn't Markov skate for like 3 months before he came back.

Old
09-22-2013, 02:40 PM
EurOConnEcton

Its great news to hear Emelin skating for a 40 minutes!!. Let's not get carried away though, even if he is ahead of schedule he won't be in the lineup any time soon. Maybe we can cross our fingers for mid November!!

Old
09-22-2013, 02:41 PM
Grant McCagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDay View Post
Lines at practice today

Moen / White / Prust

Diaz / Markov
Gorges / Subban
Beaulieu / Bouillon
I'd like to see a couple of games with NB and the cube paired together...a play by play announcer's nightmare.

Old
09-22-2013, 02:51 PM
OpenIceHit

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDay View Post
Emelin skate this morning with no contact jersey for 40 minutes!!!!!!

Parros back on the ice with regular jersey(with contact)
Bouillon Beaulieu and Moen are back with the team as well!!!

Pretty good news this morining

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/canadiens/t...pent-1.662754+

Lines at practice today

Moen / White / Prust

Diaz / Markov
Gorges / Subban
Beaulieu / Bouillon
Again! Plekanec with the worst wingers!!! Poor guy! Except for one season with Kovalev, he never had the chance to play with the best wingers on this team...

Old
09-22-2013, 03:16 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit View Post
Again! Plekanec with the worst wingers!!! Poor guy! Except for one season with Kovalev, he never had the chance to play with the best wingers on this team...
Stop complaining, lines are as best ad they can be. We saw yesterday what Briere can do for our power-play. He'll open new lanes for Subban because he's a threat himself on the high-left.

Old
09-22-2013, 03:24 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Parros, please be ready for October 1st!

Old
09-22-2013, 04:32 PM
kassian
Emelin's face plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie View Post
didn't Markov skate for like 3 months before he came back.
Not without the no-contact jersey.

Old
09-22-2013, 06:00 PM
OpenIceHit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Stop complaining, lines are as best ad they can be. We saw yesterday what Briere can do for our power-play. He'll open new lanes for Subban because he's a threat himself on the high-left.
I think that Plekanec can easily be in the NHL top 30 scorers year after year. But with Gionta and Bourque who are 40-45 pts players, it is not that easy. As you said, these might be the best lines but it just sucks for him...

Old
09-22-2013, 07:30 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit View Post
He put up 70 points a few years back with Kostitsyn and Pouliot on his wing. He can get it done, but he also gets tougher minutes.

Old
09-22-2013, 07:32 PM
Crimson Skorpion

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post

As a defenseman that played from age 4 to age 16, I agree entirely with this post. From start to end, dead on.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Old
09-22-2013, 10:47 PM
Mr. Hab

Thanks for the GREAT NEWS!!!!! (''EveryDay'' and ''sharks9'').

Emelin skating (may be ready in November? I just hope he comes back a 100%...better not to rush the knee).

Parros might be ready against the Leaves? (I hope so).
(Orr cannot ever again sucker punch our players, ex: Bourque).

I want all these players below to be dressed VS the Leaves:
Tinordi (may be dressed VS the Leaves? I hope so)
Murray - Diaz
Prust - White - Parros
Moen injured?? (day-to-day??? not sure...heard it on CTV sports, but I'm not 100% sure, sorry).

Old
09-22-2013, 10:54 PM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
Same here!! (really hope Parros will be ready on Oct.1st).
Parros, Murray, White, Tinordi, Prust (and maybe Moen if he's healthy?).

I want Prust to be able to play hockey.
(want him to have a full tank for playoffs!, not like last year).

Old
09-22-2013, 10:55 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
I really hope so too!

We can ice alot of tough guys now:

Prust-White-Parros

Murray-Tinordi

If there ever were to be a line brawl....

Old
09-22-2013, 10:56 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Same here!! (really hope Parros will be ready on Oct.1st).
Parros, Murray, White, Tinordi, Prust (and maybe Moen if he's healthy?).

I want Prust to be able to play hockey.
(want him to have a full tank for playoffs!, not like last year).
Beat me to it! Watching the Leafs/Sabres highlights, were ya?

At least Orr and McLaren are nursing injuries as well.

Last edited by hogtownhabsfan*: 09-22-2013 at 11:02 PM.
Closed Thread