HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part LXVII - All Talk From Around the League Here

Closed Thread

Old
09-23-2013, 12:27 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx81 View Post
I hope Gui gets another chance with another NHL team. That was a pretty cheap move by Phoenix considering he had 4 pts in 2 games.

Maybe it's time to bring him back. Make him sign a 2-way contract. Not much to lose.
I know it won't happen but hey I like the guy so let me hope
cheap move? did latenderness get bounced from another NHL team?

Old
09-23-2013, 12:27 AM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Scott told Kessel "When the puck drops I'm jumping you".

What's Kessel supposed to do? I don't blame Kessel one bit. You would have done the same.
I'd say, catch me if you can. it's Kessel vs. Scott ffs. You guys think Scott would be capable to catch Kessel if he tries to?

Come on guys. If you don't want to fight, don't. Skate away. Let your teammates or refs take care of the goon.

Old
09-23-2013, 12:29 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Scuderia View Post
I'd say, catch me if you can. it's Kessel vs. Scott ffs. You guys think Scott would be capable to catch Kessel if he tries to?

Come on guys. If you don't want to fight, don't. Skate away. Let your teammates or refs take care of the goon.
Didn't realize Gandhi was a habs fan.

Old
09-23-2013, 12:32 AM
Lafleurs Guy

I have no problem with Kessel trying to protect himself but there's zero way you can justify him slashing at anyone while they're fighting somebody else. He should get some games for that. Then he comes back and spears him... no way that should slide.

That being said, Scott going after Kessel is total BS. Bush league move.

Old
09-23-2013, 12:33 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:

Not defending Kessel's slashes but Scott was right on top of him, he didn't have a whole lot of choice. Unless you expected Kessel to turn tail and dash across the ice like he was Indiana Jones outrunning a giant boulder. He'd never hear the end of that for the rest of his career.

Old
09-23-2013, 12:33 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
I don't buy the Kessel was a simply a poor victim card and has no choice to slash the giant goon.
Neither do I. Can't believe he went back over to say something more to a guy he wants no part of. But I also don't see the need for dramatics by referring to a couple of swipes at a guy's skates as "baseball swings", or nudges as "spears". Guys at a distinct size/strength disadvantage in a matchup are allowed a little bit of leeway when it comes to the stick (and rightly so, imo), but Kessel's a retard.

Old
09-23-2013, 12:34 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I have no problem with Kessel trying to protect himself but there's zero way you can justify him slashing at anyone while they're fighting somebody else. He should get some games for that.
Yeah I agree...the first slash could be seen as Kessel trying to defend himself, the second was intent to injure.

Old
09-23-2013, 12:35 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Not defending Kessel's slashes but Scott was right on top of him, he didn't have a whole lot of choice. Unless you expected Kessel to turn tail and dash across the ice like he was Indiana Jones outrunning a giant boulder. He'd never hear the end of that for the rest of his career.

Exactly.

Old
09-23-2013, 12:36 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
If Chara tried fighting Gallagher I would want Prust to leave the bench and stop him from getting destroyed.
I would expect the refs to step in and stop it long before that if Gallagher was obviously unwilling (i.e. still had the gloves on, covering up, etc), but that might be giving today's refs too much credit for on-the-fly judgement.

Old
09-23-2013, 12:46 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

And would you blame Gallagher if he went Paul Bunyun like Kessel did? Kessel was in a no win situation, he accepts the challenge and fights John Scott (think about that statement a second, Kessel accepting the challenge to fight John freaking Scott) if he got hurt it would be his own fault. Others are saying he should have gone road runner... really?

Considering the situation, I think he came out of it looking pretty good. Slashed up John Scott some, and beat up that no name he ended up fighting....

Oh and...

#4,000! good night folks!

Old
09-23-2013, 12:47 AM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
That's actually not true. When the first slash occurred, there was a good separation between them. If he wanted, he could easily skated away from Scott and it will literally take about 1 second before his teammates comes to the rescue.

Actually, if you watch the replay, Scott never touch Kessel after the first contact. The last contact between them was the two slashes. So to say Kessel had not choice is just not true.

First contact was made inside the face-off circle, Kessel immediately skated back and gave the FIRST slash, and Scott was already jumped by TWO Leafs, then 2nd slash occurred, while Scott was already tied up.

Count the second, how much time did it took the Leafs player to jump on Scott?

Scott was FARRRRRR from being on top of Kessel.

Old
09-23-2013, 12:50 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
That's actually not true. When the first slash occurred, there was a good separation between them. If he wanted, he could easily skated away from Scott and it will literally take about 1 second before his teammates comes to the rescue.

Actually, if you watch the replay, Scott never touch Kessel after the first contact. The last contact between them was the two slashes. So to say Kessel had not choice is just not true.
Scott had no business attacking him. I have no problem with Kessel slashing him and trying to get away. I dont' see how anyone should be upset with him over that.

Slashing and spearing while Scott was tied up... that's another story.

But Scott's the real jackass here. He's the guy who folks should be upset with. Bush league move.

Old
09-23-2013, 12:51 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
And would you blame Gallagher if he went Paul Bunyun like Kessel did?
I wouldn't, but only in these kinds of circumstances, and no going back for another round of swings. If it's someone like Jason Spezza standing in front of him, I don't see as much of a need for the "little dog with a big bark" routine, but this is John Scott we're talking about here.

Old
09-23-2013, 12:54 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

It's that 2nd chop when 2 laffs ice humped Scott. Otherwise, Kessel handled as best as he could without getting his head ripped off. He should miss a game or 2 of preseason.

Old
09-23-2013, 12:58 AM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Scott had no business attacking him. I have no problem with Kessel slashing him and trying to get away. I dont' see how anyone should be upset with him over that.

Slashing and spearing while Scott was tied up... that's another story.

But Scott's the real jackass here. He's the guy who folks should be upset with. Bush league move.
I'm just against the act if using your stick as a weapon regardless what happened before.

Remember when M.Koivu gave Ohlund an flying elbow to the head and Ohlund retaliate with two hand slash that broke Koivu's feet? Yeah, that's why you don't swing your stick deliberately.

One could say Koivu had no business giving an elbow to the Ohlund's head but does it mean we should accept that two hand slash retaliation?

Kessel did it not once but TWICE, once on a completely defenseless player.

Old
09-23-2013, 01:09 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
One could say Koivu had no business giving an elbow to the Ohlund's head but does it mean we should accept that two hand slash retaliation?
"Accept" it? I dunno. It's still a penalty, plus you gotta answer for any extreme damage. Does Koivu know why he got that two-hander, though? You bet. Has he taken a similar liberty with another player since? I doubt it.

Old
09-23-2013, 01:10 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
I'm just against the act if using your stick as a weapon regardless what happened before.

Remember when M.Koivu gave Ohlund an flying elbow to the head and Ohlund retaliate with two hand slash that broke Koivu's feet? Yeah, that's why you don't swing your stick deliberately.

I don't disagree that he shouldn't have done it while Scott was defenseless. But I don't have a problem with what he did when Scott initially went after him. Kessel was pissed off with him (rightly so) and lost his cool afterwards. I think it warrants a game or two but nothing more than that.

Old
09-23-2013, 01:14 AM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
"Accept" it? I dunno. It's still a penalty, plus you gotta answer for any extreme damage. Does Koivu know why he got that two-hander, though? You bet. Has he taken a similar liberty with another player since? I doubt it.
Hum not sure if I follow your point. Are telling me that Koivu kinda deserved it and it taught him a lesson for not doing it again?

Like Moore learnt his lesson for elbowing Naslund?

Old
09-23-2013, 01:30 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Hum not sure if I follow your point. Are telling me that Koivu kinda deserved it and it taught him a lesson for not doing it again?
Not sure I follow what you mean by "accept it", then. Do I judge Ohlund harshly because of his actions? No. Should there be a penalty, and possibly further punishment depending on how stupid/damaging the actions turn out to be? Of course. Sometimes players respond by fighting, and the fallout/penalties from that is "accepted". When fighting isn't an option, a bit of stick work from the player at the disadvantage has to be "accepted", imo.

But it's not like players get two-handers that take them out of games all the time. Those on the receiving end quite often have a preceding event to reflect upon where their actions elicited that response, though.

Quote:
Like Moore learnt his lesson for elbowing Naslund?
Not even gonna go there, dude.

Old
09-23-2013, 01:50 AM
Stats01

Quote:
It's pretty Clarkson jumped off the bench.

Bissonette just got 10 games for doing the same so I guess we won't see him for first game of the season, same for Kessel.
Kessel should just be suspended for the remaining 3 games of the pre-season, any missed time in the regular season would be too much IMO. 3 games is enough for this crap that happened tonight. I guarantee Scott gets nothing out of this while we (Leaf fan) we lose Clarkson and possibly Kessel. It's ****ing embarrassing that Scott is even in the league.

Old
09-23-2013, 01:53 AM
Rumpy

Quote:

That's exactly why you swing your stick deliberately. Throw a cheap elbow get your leg broken.... If only more people played like that all this cheap **** wouldn't happen.

Old
09-23-2013, 01:54 AM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I think the whole thing is a joke really. This is freaking preseason and you have your two #1 goalies fighting..Really?

As for Scott dropping them against Kessel, you're assuming it's because the Leafs dropped a Sabres in a fight just before.
Well first off, unless I'm mistaken. The fight was completely uneven to begin with. Leafs guy is 6'5 220, Sabres is 6' 185. It might have been a completely legit fight, I have no clue really as to how the games (yesterday's and tonight's) between both teams developed.
Maybe Kessel said some crap to Scott. Who knows. We don't, not as of yet and maybe never.

In any event, that's why fighting is so retarded. There's really no regulation, and the bad far outweighs the good. But seeing how it is permitted, Scott didn't do much wrong other than instigate. Kessel should never slash though, not to mention he gets the urge to come back after the dust seems to settle and poke Scott with his stick. That's just stupid.

But my guess is there's more to it than just a Sabres losing a fight so Scott goes to punch Kessel. I really doubt it's that simple.
Watch the damn video, the Buffalo player started the fight, both wanted to go, don't defend Scott here. the fight was even. Tropp wanted to go, Devane accepted and Devane KO'd him. What happened after with Scott going after Kessel at the face-off circle was embarrassing. Rolston should be embarrassed as a coach today. I can't wait until mid November when the Leafs play them back to back it will be a gong show.

Old
09-23-2013, 01:57 AM
Stats01

Quote:

Yeah like everyone has their wits about them in the heat of the moment. When a 6 ft 8 ogre drops his gloves wtf do you think you're going to do...just skate away like a scared baby, at least Kessel did something. I'd hack him too!! Kessel would be stupid to fight Scott, so his defence is to slash him, damn good on him. How dare Scott go after a star player like that, this kind of crap is embarrassing to the game and Scott is an embarrassment to the league and hockey in general.

Old
09-23-2013, 03:04 AM
BlackStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I think the whole thing is a joke really. This is freaking preseason and you have your two #1 goalies fighting..Really?

As for Scott dropping them against Kessel, you're assuming it's because the Leafs dropped a Sabres in a fight just before.
Well first off, unless I'm mistaken. The fight was completely uneven to begin with. Leafs guy is 6'5 220, Sabres is 6' 185. It might have been a completely legit fight, I have no clue really as to how the games (yesterday's and tonight's) between both teams developed.
Maybe Kessel said some crap to Scott. Who knows. We don't, not as of yet and maybe never.

In any event, that's why fighting is so retarded. There's really no regulation, and the bad far outweighs the good. But seeing how it is permitted, Scott didn't do much wrong other than instigate. Kessel should never slash though, not to mention he gets the urge to come back after the dust seems to settle and poke Scott with his stick. That's just stupid.

But my guess is there's more to it than just a Sabres losing a fight so Scott goes to punch Kessel. I really doubt it's that simple.
I disagree that fighting is retarded, I enjoy it when there's a reason behind it. For example, White pummeling Boychuk is my favourite fight of all time. Boychuch aggressively charged at Subban, Subban dodged it, but White went after Boychuk right away and gave him a nice beating.

Anyways, other than that, I agree with everything else. Like usual, you bring reason to a thread. I have no idea how anyone can justify Kessel's reaction. Heck, even the leafs homer commentators mentioned that Kessel will likely get suspended.

Old
09-23-2013, 03:18 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
And would you blame Gallagher if he went Paul Bunyun like Kessel did? Kessel was in a no win situation, he accepts the challenge and fights John Scott (think about that statement a second, Kessel accepting the challenge to fight John freaking Scott) if he got hurt it would be his own fault. Others are saying he should have gone road runner... really?

Considering the situation, I think he came out of it looking pretty good. Slashed up John Scott some, and beat up that no name he ended up fighting....

Oh and...

#4,000! good night folks!
guess you missed the part where it's Kessel pushing (well, more of a shove but still, if you dont want to fight bigger guys, dont taunt bigger guys) Scott before the later tried to grab him...

Closed Thread