HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Brenden Morrow signs with the Blues for 1 year [$1.5m] [NTC]

Old
09-22-2013, 05:06 PM
Zirakzigil

vCash: 500
Would have loved him back on the Penguins. Still plays a gritty in your face game even if he has slowed down.

Zirakzigil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 05:09 PM
blue bleeder 24-7

At first I wasn't wild about this idea. But Morrow is actually only 34. I know this is HF, so 34 might as well be 64. How I see it though is that the average retiring age of a Top 6 forward is somewhere between 36-40. So Morrow will still be playable for about 2-6 more years.

So I'm not against adding Morrow to the roster. But I don't want him pushing out players that need development time, or players who are on the edge of a breakout.

As long as Morrow was used as a specialty player... 4th line role, maybe more regarding injuries as the year goes on... then I'm okay with it.

Though I'm also worried about what all these vets means for the locker room. David Backes needs to be the Captain. He can't be Captain in title while random-old-vet leads the room year in and year out. But I'm not in the room, so I can't really speak to that point. Something that potentially concerns me.

blue bleeder 24-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 05:36 PM
Dominic Roussel
Tank Mode: Fail

vCash: 1951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
He looked alright on the Pens until he split his knee cap in the playoffs. But over an 82 game season he's certainly not going to be any quicker than he was back with Dallas.
Yea, we all loved him, but he just can't play his game anymore, especially not over a full season. He'd look okay for a half dozen games or so then he'd slow down and he'd randomly lose an edge and cough the puck up constantly. I hope he does well, just hope nobody expects much.

Dominic Roussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 05:45 PM
Dr Robot

vCash: 641
He might be our 13 forward, rotate with Sobi and porter till injuries happen. I personally want porter on the fourth over Morrow and i can't see the reason we need him,i thought our roster was set but if we sign him we sign him. Only way i see this making sense is if we send paajarvi down.

Dr Robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 06:17 PM
odishabs

Steen - Backes - Oshie

Paajarvi - Roy - Stewart

Schwartz - Berglund - Tarasenko

Morrow - Lapierre - Sobotka

scary..

odishabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 06:58 PM
Overkamp

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue bleeder 24-7 View Post
At first I wasn't wild about this idea. But Morrow is actually only 34. I know this is HF, so 34 might as well be 64. How I see it though is that the average retiring age of a Top 6 forward is somewhere between 36-40. So Morrow will still be playable for about 2-6 more years.

So I'm not against adding Morrow to the roster. But I don't want him pushing out players that need development time, or players who are on the edge of a breakout.

As long as Morrow was used as a specialty player... 4th line role, maybe more regarding injuries as the year goes on... then I'm okay with it.

Though I'm also worried about what all these vets means for the locker room. David Backes needs to be the Captain. He can't be Captain in title while random-old-vet leads the room year in and year out. But I'm not in the room, so I can't really speak to that point. Something that potentially concerns me.
Exactly my feelings. I don't get it.

I believe the Blues want him for his locker room presence and word is Armstrong and Hitchcock are not at all happy with the fourth line role players.

I think Morrow is delaying his signing because he wants a more prominent role than a fourth line (and sparingly on the third line) player.

When Langenbrunner signed he was told exactly what his role was before he signed.

Last edited by Overkamp: 09-22-2013 at 10:34 PM.
Overkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 07:22 PM
tjung0831

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkamp View Post

I believe the Blues want him for his locker room presence and word is Armstrong and Hitchcock are not at all happy with the fourth line roll players.

I think Morrow is delaying his signing because he wants a more prominent roll than a fourth line (and sparingly on the third line) player.

When Langenbrunner signed he was told exactly what his roll was before he signed.
The hit on Sobotka had everything to do with it, not to mention that Army has trying to get Morrow in St. Louis for over a year. Once the Sobotka thing blew up, Hitch and Army realized they still have issues they need to address and they made an offer to Morrow.

tjung0831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 07:24 PM
trevorftw
Voice of Reason

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkamp View Post

I believe the Blues want him for his locker room presence and word is Armstrong and Hitchcock are not at all happy with the fourth line roll players.

I think Morrow is delaying his signing because he wants a more prominent roll than a fourth line (and sparingly on the third line) player.

When Langenbrunner signed he was told exactly what his roll was before he signed.
It's buttered or NOTHING!!!

trevorftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 08:02 PM
jarmoismyhero

Dont mind the move either way as long as it does not take any PP time or top 6 minutes away from Schwartz or Vlad...If they put him on 4th line and use him only for injuries in the top 9 I will be ok with it otherwise I do not like it.

jarmoismyhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 08:29 PM
Vladys Gumption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
The Blues sure do like having an over the hill forward on the roster. From Arnott to Langenbrunner to Nichol and now Morrow.
Nichol was actually very good for us his first year here. His second year is a different story.

Vladys Gumption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 08:37 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue247 View Post
Nichol was actually very good for us his first year here. His second year is a different story.
Arnott was productive for the most part as well.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 08:38 PM
Vladys Gumption

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Arnott was productive for the most part as well.
He had a really good first half. Definitely slowed down a lot in the second half though.

Old
09-22-2013, 09:43 PM
DoubleK81

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjung0831 View Post
The hit on Sobotka had everything to do with it
So, are we going to play Morrow on every line, to be the white knight for every guy on the team that takes a questionable hit?

Bringing in Morrow really doesnt make a whole lot of sense.

DoubleK81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 10:33 PM
Overkamp

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorftw View Post
It's buttered or NOTHING!!!

Lol. Sometimes I just have a brain fart when I'm typing fast.

I will edit them rolls!

Overkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 12:30 AM
SteenMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarmoismyhero View Post
Dont mind the move either way as long as it does not take any PP time or top 6 minutes away from Schwartz or Vlad...If they put him on 4th line and use him only for injuries in the top 9 I will be ok with it otherwise I do not like it.
See that's what concerns me, if we see Morrow end up on the PP it looks like Hitch has little faith in his players to develop and the same will be said by the fans in regards to Hitchcock's ability to get them there.

Maybe they just want some security and I know Armstrong has vowed never to end up in injury hell getting beaten to the punch on UFA waivers after that weird season transpired.

I just wish it didn't feel like offensive production was nothing more than an experiment on this team. As if there was even one or two guys who was reliably cemented into their role. Backes, Steen, Stewart, and Oshie do a great job of reminding us they can just grab the puck press into the zone and rip one. Then nothing for 4 games, so suddenly our we need our wingers to show up and maybe one of them gets a multi point game... then more nothing.

We're not talking about streaking scoring we're talking about highlight reel games keeping some players even in the top half of scoring while the rest of their season looks like the playoffs production-wise. The PP isn't a threat it's a lucky opportunity to see one go in, the transition game is great then once the puck is deep we're just funneling loose passes to the slot with no target.

They keep bringing in back-up plan veterans that are only supposed to be injury reserves and mentors not carrying 20% of the scoring in a season. Yet that's how they end up being used for better or worse because guys like Stewart go invisible so fast, and guys like Steen are too busy being shuffled around, and guys like Sobotka are smart enough to get points but just not the kind of athlete we need to match up against elite competition.

If we can't rely on Schwartz and Tarasenko to eat up that extra scoring and ice time we really, really, need the coaches to refine our current top 6 players into guys who look like they belonged there from the start of the game to the end.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 06:46 AM
Confound
-Vindicated-

fake story

Confound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 07:19 AM
shifting

No thanks.

shifting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 07:28 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

Morrow's lost a few steps the past couple seasons but he should still provide a bit of veteran leadership for the team.

09-23-2013, 07:54 AM
Vladys Gumption

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Morrow's lost a few steps the past couple seasons but he should still provide a bit of veteran leadership for the team.
If they need to bring in a veteran for leadership on a cup run then this team isn't going anywhere. This core has been together long enough that there should be enough leaders on this team. All Morrow would be doing is taking away ice time from younger, more talented players.

Old
09-23-2013, 08:05 AM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confound View Post
fake story
Apparently not. LeBrun reporting that the deal is now agreed.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 08:06 AM
SixthSens
Global Moderator
RIP Kev

vCash: 605
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 1m
Brenden Morrow has agreed to a one-year deal with the St. Louis. Obvious connection there with Hitchcock/Armstrong from Dallas days...

SixthSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 08:08 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
I guess we can now expect a trade or two of a Blues forward.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 08:13 AM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by odishabs View Post
Steen - Backes - Oshie

Paajarvi - Roy - Stewart

Schwartz - Berglund - Tarasenko

Morrow - Lapierre - Sobotka

scary..
I find their blueline much more terrifying. Dunno if Morrow is the right fit for St. Louis. They seem to be deviating from that extremely aggressive fourth line that gave LA fits throughout the playoffs.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 08:14 AM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
I guess we can now expect a trade or two of a Blues forward.
It's possible, but we could just send Cracknell down to the AHL. We have Porter, Reaves, Lapierre, Sobotka and now Morrow for the fourth line. If Cracknell is claimed, we'll still have Andronov in the AHL for that type of role.

Morrow's deal is $1.5m for the year.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 08:15 AM
Jeffro

Really surprised by this given the organizational commitment to Cracknell and Porter. And how well they played at the end of last year and in the playoffs.

Jeffro is offline   Reply With Quote