HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

NHL Supplementary Draft

Old
09-19-2013, 10:20 AM
kingdok

vCash: 500
NHL Supplementary Draft

Found on the Ice Hockey Wiki: http://icehockey.wikia.com/wiki/NHL_Supplemental_Draft
Quote:
The NHL Supplemental Draft was established by the National Hockey League as an offshoot of the NHL Entry Draft between 1986 and 1994. The Supplemental Draft was used by teams to select collegiate ice hockey players who were not eligible for the standard Entry Draft. Unlike the Entry Draft, most players selected never played in the NHL, although a few "diamonds in the rough" went on to NHL careers. The players selected in the Supplemental Draft who enjoyed NHL careers of over 100 games are John Cullen, Bob Kudelski, Dave Snuggerud, Shawn Chambers, Jamie Baker, Todd Krygier, Chris Tancill, Cory Cross, Steve Rucchin, Steve Guolla and Steve Martins. The Supplemental Draft was discontinued after 1994, when a new collective bargain of agreement was signed.
And that's it. That is the only information I can get about this subject.

My questions are:
1- Why couldn't those collegiate players be eligible for the entry draft?
2- Why is there teams that even don't participate to the supplementary draft?
3-How did they determine the order for teams to pick? Some years it looks like they just followed the same order as the entry draft, but other years don't (ex: 1987). Also, some teams have multiple picks.
4- Do you have any other fact or anectode regarding the supplementary draft?

kingdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 07:25 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

We'll give it some time; not a Draft thats given a lot of shrift, thought by students of the game. Perhaps if you offered up some examples, how player X-Y or Z contributed to wherever it was they landed, put some meat on the bone people would find it interesting.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 07:49 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1447
The players wanted to remove supplemental draft during the late season work stoppage in the 1991-92 season which lasted little more than a week. The agreement (CBA) then was for two seasons which ended after the 1993-94 season. That was the last year of the supplemental draft.

Players were available in supplementary drafts, as I recall, if they were passed by in two prior entry drafts and reached a certain age 21(?). Basically, it was designed for late bloomers and especially NCAA players. There were rules in place -- could have been something akin to non-playoff teams got to pick in the first round and then all teams in a following round. In its final couple of seasons, I believe it was limited to expansion and non-playoff teams. There was no requirement for teams to participate. In past entry level drafts, teams passed on their selections.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 09-19-2013 at 08:01 PM.
MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 08:13 PM
reckoning

It's been suggested that the reason for it was created was because in 1985, Detroit signed a number of overage college players (Adam Oates, Ray Staszak and Chris Chihocki are the three I remember) to very lucrative (at the time) rookie contracts. The NHL was uncomfortable with that, and wanted to eliminate the chances of "late bloomers" having teams bidding for their services. So in summary, the supplementary draft was created to keep player salaries down.

reckoning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 11:16 AM
kingdok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
We'll give it some time; not a Draft thats given a lot of shrift, thought by students of the game. Perhaps if you offered up some examples, how player X-Y or Z contributed to wherever it was they landed, put some meat on the bone people would find it interesting.
Yes maybe, I don't have much meat to offer though. I'm mostly looking for answers.

If talking specifically about the success of the drafted players, obviously, this draft didn't contribute much to the league, except for John Cullen and Steve Rucchin, who went to have respectable careers. The rest who made it, were marginal players. Kudelski, Snuggerud and Baker sniffed 2nd duties but were 3rd liners at best. Cross and Chambers played for a long time, but they were bottom pairing Ds. Krygier was a feisty player if I recall, but nothing to get excited about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
The players wanted to remove supplemental draft during the late season work stoppage in the 1991-92 season which lasted little more than a week. The agreement (CBA) then was for two seasons which ended after the 1993-94 season. That was the last year of the supplemental draft.

Players were available in supplementary drafts, as I recall, if they were passed by in two prior entry drafts and reached a certain age 21(?). Basically, it was designed for late bloomers and especially NCAA players. There were rules in place -- could have been something akin to non-playoff teams got to pick in the first round and then all teams in a following round. In its final couple of seasons, I believe it was limited to expansion and non-playoff teams. There was no requirement for teams to participate. In past entry level drafts, teams passed on their selections.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reckoning View Post
It's been suggested that the reason for it was created was because in 1985, Detroit signed a number of overage college players (Adam Oates, Ray Staszak and Chris Chihocki are the three I remember) to very lucrative (at the time) rookie contracts. The NHL was uncomfortable with that, and wanted to eliminate the chances of "late bloomers" having teams bidding for their services. So in summary, the supplementary draft was created to keep player salaries down.
thanks you guys, I was looking for these answers. I didn't notice they were overagers at the time they got drafted and the infos you're offering helps me understand the need to have this kind of draft at the time. I say good riddance though. and I'm sure the NHLPA agrees with me.

kingdok is offline   Reply With Quote