HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Should he stay or should he go? (Meszaros or Grossmann)

Old
09-23-2013, 09:52 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

vCash: 500
Should he stay or should he go? (Meszaros or Grossmann)

Per Bill..

While I worry about Grossmann's health as well and don't expect him to play a full season...still would prefer to keep him over Meszaros.

What say you?

Quote:
I still think one of the veterans will be traded this week, and it will more likely be Meszaros as long as other NHL teams are satisfied that he is now reasonably healthy. I could see Gustafsson starting the season as the puck-moving half of a third-pairing tandem with Grossmann. However, with Gill still around and Lauridsen waiting in the wings, perhaps it will be Grossmann to go.

As I wrote the other day, I would not be in favor of that move from a hockey standpoint but there would be cap management logic to it. I also can't help but wonder if part of the reason why Lauridsen is still with the big club at this point is that the organization wants to get a sense if he'd be able to step into the NHL lineup in Grossmann's current role sooner rather than later. Personally, I don't think the big Dane is ready for a regular NHL role, nor do I think Gill at this late stage of his career should be more than the seventh defenseman if he beats out Gervais.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...-Hits/45/54176

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 09:57 AM
LegionOfDoom91

I would rather trade Mez if that's possible even if it was for a bag pucks.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 09:59 AM
Hiesenberg

vCash: 491
I think you could get more for Mesz is the buyer thinks he's 100%.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 10:05 AM
Curufinwe

I don't see the Flyers getting fair returns on either players. They may as well keep both, even if Meszaros ends up sitting in the press box while they get more of a look at Gustafsson.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 10:07 AM
BringBackStevens

Mez goes, no contest

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 10:24 AM
Don Nachbaur 26

Gotta think Mez is the one to go.

Don Nachbaur 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 10:38 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I'd say Mez because he's only got one year left and is more money. I like Mez, but at the end of the day he is not here next year anyway so why not try and get something for him. Grossmann may be an injury concern, but at least we know he'll be back next year and at a reasonable price.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 10:40 AM
BillDineen

Neither goes. I don't know why Bill has been saying all along that the Flyers need to trade for cap reasons. They don't. Just assigned Schenn and Couturier to Phantoms ahead of putting Pronger on LTIR and recall them prior to the first game.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 11:10 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
Neither goes. I don't know why Bill has been saying all along that the Flyers need to trade for cap reasons. They don't. Just assigned Schenn and Couturier to Phantoms ahead of putting Pronger on LTIR and recall them prior to the first game.
Aren't both players waiver eligible?

09-23-2013, 11:11 AM
BillDineen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Aren't both players waiver eligible?
No, they are on ELC.

Old
09-23-2013, 11:15 AM
BillDineen

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Scott Hartnell ($4.750m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
Michael Raffl ($0.793m) / Vincent Lecavalier ($4.500m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
Maxime Talbot ($1.750m) / Adam Hall ($0.600m) / Matt Read ($0.900m)
Jay Rosehill ($0.675m) / Scott Laughton ($1.107m) / Zac Rinaldo ($0.750m)
DEFENSEMEN
Kimmo Timonen ($6.000m) / Mark Streit ($5.250m)
Chris Pronger ($4.941m) / Braydon Coburn ($4.500m)
Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m) / Luke Schenn ($3.600m)
Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m) / Erik Gustafsson ($1.000m)
GOALTENDERS
Ray Emery ($1.650m)
Steve Mason ($1.500m)
OTHER
Buyout: Oskars Bartulis ($0.100m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,023,522; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $276,478

Old
09-23-2013, 11:18 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Depends on the return for me. You just do not throw away top four defenseman and I consider both men second pairing players in their own accord. I hope that if Holmgren does decide to move Mez, he gets fair value back. But I really would like to see him play a full season with this squad. If we get good tending in the net this team has a very good chance of being a mofo to play against. Let's face it. This team will be four lines deep, and if the kids mature....watch out.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 12:12 PM
LJfromNJ
Rookie User

Barring injuries, beings I think at this point both players are considered injury prone at the same factor… who provides more value?
Does Gustafsson, Streit, and Timonen provide enough offense potential that you prefer Grossman to balance things out?
Holmgren really is in a bad spot with this. It is very easy to make the “wrong” choice trading the wrong guy for peanuts and having it backfire.

LJfromNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 12:13 PM
Hiesenberg

Not sure where they are going actually.

Timo/Coburn
Streit/Schenn
Gross/Mesz
Gus/Gill
Lauridson/Gervais

were the pairings. So it already appears that Laviolette is game planning for the season. If you drop the last 3 guys, that would be a pretty decent Top 7

Old
09-23-2013, 12:17 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

They don't need to move either one of them. Keep Grossmann in the lineup and platoon Mez and Gus. Depending on where we are in the standings come the trade deadline and if Mez stays healthy at the deadline, maybe you can flip him for a pick then.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 12:20 PM
Hiesenberg

Grossman had similar PCS as Pronger did. I'm not sure he's out of the woods yet. Holmgren might need to hold both of them just to make sure one isn't gone for the year.

Old
09-23-2013, 12:28 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
right now we have the most expensive defense in the league and to me that seems weird.

I think mez and Grossman are both expendable at this point. Mez is gone next year regardless, Grossman i like but for the money he is making it is hard to justify him as a 3rd pairing defender especially when we have cheap options in the next year or two in Lauridsen and Alt.

I've always felt that your 3rd pairing and 4th line needs to be made up or elc contracts or veteran minimum's

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 12:30 PM
LJfromNJ
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
right now we have the most expensive defense in the league and to me that seems weird.

I think mez and Grossman are both expendable at this point. Mez is gone next year regardless, Grossman i like but for the money he is making it is hard to justify him as a 3rd pairing defender especially when we have cheap options in the next year or two in Lauridsen and Alt.

I've always felt that your 3rd pairing and 4th line needs to be made up or elc contracts or veteran minimum's

Is that your way of saying trade Grossman for what you can and run Meszaros until he breaks with the thought he is done for you after this year anyway?

LJfromNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 12:37 PM
Hiesenberg

Quote:

Its possible the Flyers feel that way too considering Lauridson & Gill are still hanging around. Maybe Holmgren shocks us and moves Gross & Mesz (frees up a ton of $), slides in Gus/Gill/Gervais/Lauridson in that 3rd pairing. I dunno.

Old
09-23-2013, 12:58 PM
Crescent Street
Saturday Nite Hockey

Grossmann has been of the few bright spots for the D-core. No idea why you'd want to move him.

Crescent Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 01:05 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here; Grossmann is no superstar, but he's sure a hell of a lot better than any other option we have in the pipeline at this point.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 01:11 PM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescent Street View Post
Grossmann has been of the few bright spots for the D-core. No idea why you'd want to move him.
If he's prone to concussions (something nobody knows yet), he's virtually useless. He's game is physicality.

Old
09-23-2013, 01:33 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:

Disagree with basically all of that. Grossmann is far better than Lauridsen and Alt. Yes, they are cheaper options, but they are also worse options. There will always be cheaper options. As far as having ELCs and vet minimums on the third pairing...you ice the best team, not the best contracts. Grossmann on the bottom pair is a good thing, even if his contract is higher than an ELC.

Old
09-23-2013, 01:45 PM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

I'm in the minority that I'd rather see a healthy Mesz in the lineup over Gustafsson anyday...

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 01:53 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenbergg View Post
I'm in the minority that I'd rather see a healthy Mesz in the lineup over Gustafsson anyday...
I'm with ya, but yes you are in the minority. Gustaffsson is a golden boy around these parts.