*OFFICIAL* Mississauga Steelheads 2013-14 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-17-2013, 09:32 AM
Luvtowatch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyboy View Post
Unless he's seriously regressed, 2nd line minimum. I think anyone who saw him regularly with the Marlies can say his overall skill-set compares favorably with Max Domi's.
If he is half as good now as he was in minor midget he is a 1st line player on this team. This kid should have been a 1st rd pick.

Old
09-18-2013, 07:43 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Anyone have any commente to share regarding Sean Day? Im really excited to see this kid play.

Old
09-18-2013, 09:59 PM
Torts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights77 View Post
Anyone have any commente to share regarding Sean Day? Im really excited to see this kid play.
Been everything I expected. Great skater and can get up and down the ice as quick as anyone. Sometimes is charging and team-mates didn't find him the puck.

He will learn when to choose his spots but 1 example was against Guelph in first pre season game. He rushed puck. Made a move and took a shot, play came the other way and he was first one back.

He is a special player that will need to take the lumps this season and learn the game and grow as a player.

Old
09-19-2013, 12:42 PM
Racer14
Always Watching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts View Post
Been everything I expected. Great skater and can get up and down the ice as quick as anyone. Sometimes is charging and team-mates didn't find him the puck.

He will learn when to choose his spots but 1 example was against Guelph in first pre season game. He rushed puck. Made a move and took a shot, play came the other way and he was first one back.

He is a special player that will need to take the lumps this season and learn the game and grow as a player.
this can be said for about 6 kids on this steelhead team. they are setup to be a special team in 2 years, james boyd has his hands full this year though keeping them focussed during a tough season.

Old
09-19-2013, 08:55 PM
Breakwood

Nice comeback win for the Steelheads. I'd say it was deserved. From the 2nd period on, Mississauga had the best of the play. Smoskowitz looked real good, and Day had a very good debut.

Old
09-19-2013, 09:01 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts View Post

Nice. Thank you. Looking forward to seeing him in person!

Old
09-19-2013, 09:45 PM
Steel Toe

Great come back win.

I was not at the game but from what I heard it was a fun game to be at.
I heard Martin wasn't in net to start off game but went in later on, as he got there late because he was coming in from Colorado . I guessing the plane was late or delayed . Anyways good job on the comeback boys , and I'm glad to see that the latest addition contributed they way I thought he would with 2 goals , Bryson Cianfrone . Great pick up...

Old
09-19-2013, 10:19 PM
NHL Fanatic

Cianfrone, Burnside, Smoskowitz line was great. 8 points respectively. Burnside showed great patience on the last rush to set up Smoskowitz to tie the game at 14 seconds left. Felt bad for Carty, pulled less than 2 minutes in, tough start but it will get better. Cianfrone doing what he does best, putting up points, very good offensively.

Last edited by NHL Fanatic: 09-20-2013 at 10:11 AM.
Old
09-19-2013, 10:48 PM
Steel Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
Cianfrone, Burnside, Smoskowitz line was great. 9 points respectively. Burnside showed great patience on the last rush to set up Smoskowitz to tie the game at 14 seconds left. Felt bad for Carty, pulled less than 2 minutes in, tough start but it will get better. Cianfrone doing what he does best, putting up point very good offensively.
Good too hear, I can see that line being dangerous this year .
But like last year , teams will soon try to shut them down . And that's where we need our secondary scoring to step in. We need Bourne , Mac. , Barwell, Foy etc. to produce for this team to see any success .
Carty will do well this year , it just takes time . He has good potential .

I will be at the home opener tomorrow , hope to see a good crowd!! :

Old
09-20-2013, 03:21 AM
H44

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
Cianfrone, Burnside, Smoskowitz line was great. 9 points respectively. Burnside showed great patience on the last rush to set up Smoskowitz to tie the game at 14 seconds left. Felt bad for Carty, pulled less than 2 minutes in, tough start but it will get better. Cianfrone doing what he does best, putting up points, very good offensively.
Agreed. Mistakes made by both teams, but an entertaining game. Smoskowitz was interviewed after the game - he gave a very intelligent interview.

Old
09-20-2013, 10:19 AM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by H44 View Post
Agreed. Mistakes made by both teams, but an entertaining game. Smoskowitz was interviewed after the game - he gave a very intelligent interview.
He sure did. I liked the way he played in the 3rd period, played with great confidence. Really jelled with Burnside and Cianfrone. They will only get better.

Old
09-20-2013, 08:20 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtowatch View Post
If he is half as good now as he was in minor midget he is a 1st line player on this team. This kid should have been a 1st rd pick.
No arguments here. Love his game as well.

Old
09-21-2013, 09:12 AM
ProspectHunter

I watched the game last night and a few exhibition games. It is clear the Penalty Kill needs a lot of work. They are giving up too many goals on the penalty kill - and that's really hurting them. The PK seems really static, very passive and most of those goals are coming on junk down around the crease.

The D also seem to have a lot of trouble getting the puck up and out of the zone. There was very little flow out of the zone so very few team attack rushes into the offensive zone do to this inability to get the puck moving up the ice efficiently.

The big line has some nice skill and good flow, not seeing much else in the way of effectiveness from the other line combinations yet.

Old
09-21-2013, 11:02 AM
SeanLafortune
@SeanLafortune

Nothing confirmed yet, but the Steelheads may be bringing in another potential difference maker, understand its fairly close to being done....

Old
09-21-2013, 12:47 PM
BramptonFan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanLafortune View Post
Nothing confirmed yet, but the Steelheads may be bringing in another potential difference maker, understand its fairly close to being done....
A trade for a defenseman or forward?

Old
09-21-2013, 01:16 PM
VOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BramptonFan09 View Post
A trade for a defenseman or forward?
Defesnseman....soon to be former Michigan Commit.

Old
09-21-2013, 05:19 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOB View Post
Defesnseman....soon to be former Michigan Commit.
Walshy returns to the chocolate factory?! Cianfrone and now Walshy. Marlie alumni galore! I like it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK9IB8QvtzI

Last edited by Garyboy: 09-21-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Old
09-21-2013, 05:55 PM
mapleleaf979

*delete

Last edited by mapleleaf979: 09-21-2013 at 06:43 PM.
Old
09-21-2013, 06:07 PM
WhoisJohnGalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectHunter View Post
I watched the game last night and a few exhibition games. It is clear the Penalty Kill needs a lot of work. They are giving up too many goals on the penalty kill - and that's really hurting them. The PK seems really static, very passive and most of those goals are coming on junk down around the crease.

The D also seem to have a lot of trouble getting the puck up and out of the zone. There was very little flow out of the zone so very few team attack rushes into the offensive zone do to this inability to get the puck moving up the ice efficiently.

The big line has some nice skill and good flow, not seeing much else in the way of effectiveness from the other line combinations yet.
I was at the home opener and agree that the PK is very conservative and very static. They seem to play a box inside the dots and do not try aggressive moves even when they have a good chance to get the puck on the side boards or corners. They need to move more to get the puck out and maybe even generate some SH attempts. They did have a very nice SH attempt in the third that might have tied the game but the shot was just wide.

I also agree with your comment on getting the puck out of our zone - it just doesn't happen fast enough and often enough. I must say though that Day seem pretty good and moving it when he gets the chance.

Old
09-21-2013, 07:26 PM
SeanLafortune
@SeanLafortune

Didn't want to say it before because I didn't know if it was 100 percent, but yes, Jared Walsh is off to the Steelheads. Expect him in the lineup soon.

Old
09-21-2013, 09:41 PM
Steel Toe

Walsh coming to Steelheads would be great , highly skilled Dman .
Regarding the PK , its still early and Give it time. The Attack wasn't any better on there PK either.
Has anyone else been impressed on how good Cianfrone is , he was the best player on the ice last night at least on the Steelheads. When ever he is on the ice the puck seems to always be on his stick.
His puck control, movement and speed is above average out there.

Old
09-21-2013, 10:06 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanLafortune View Post
Didn't want to say it before because I didn't know if it was 100 percent, but yes, Jared Walsh is off to the Steelheads. Expect him in the lineup soon.
That's the good stuff right there! Last time I saw Walshy he was patrolling the blue line for the powerhouse '96 Marlies. He had a great shot from the point, played with some snarl, and delivered some pretty sweet outlet passes. I reckon that year of development did Walshy well, and he will be a welcome addition to the Steelheads.

Old
09-22-2013, 07:16 PM
Torts

Perfect news. Team now looks to be WAY MORE competitive next season and hopefully contend the season after next (98 draft year).

Day, Gerhart, Barwell, Bourne, MacIntyre, DiTomaso, Walsh, Rasulov (when he gets here ahah), Doef and our first pick in 2014 OHL Draft all 96 and younger.

Old
09-23-2013, 01:46 PM
superspitfan99

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoisJohnGalt View Post
I was at the home opener and agree that the PK is very conservative and very static. They seem to play a box inside the dots and do not try aggressive moves even when they have a good chance to get the puck on the side boards or corners. They need to move more to get the puck out and maybe even generate some SH attempts. They did have a very nice SH attempt in the third that might have tied the game but the shot was just wide.

I also agree with your comment on getting the puck out of our zone - it just doesn't happen fast enough and often enough. I must say though that Day seem pretty good and moving it when he gets the chance.
Sorry, I disagree with the Day comment. There were many times in the game Friday where he should have gone D to D and didn't, then got caught ending up turning the puck over. Don't get me wrong, the kid is definitely good, but needs refinement. He's not a forward and needs to learn when and when not to carry the puck and/or jump into the play. His offensive game is good, but needs work on the boards, corners and defensive game. Very fluid skater, but maybe just me, it seemed to be slow getting back and in position.

On another note, did anyone else notice that Boyd didn't play his Captain in the final minute of the game on Friday when they pulled the goalie? What's up with that? Isn't your Captain suppose to be the one who leads in those situations?

Old
09-23-2013, 02:16 PM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelheads101 View Post
Sorry, I disagree with the Day comment. There were many times in the game Friday where he should have gone D to D and didn't, then got caught ending up turning the puck over. Don't get me wrong, the kid is definitely good, but needs refinement. He's not a forward and needs to learn when and when not to carry the puck and/or jump into the play. His offensive game is good, but needs work on the boards, corners and defensive game. Very fluid skater, but maybe just me, it seemed to be slow getting back and in position.

On another note, did anyone else notice that Boyd didn't play his Captain in the final minute of the game on Friday when they pulled the goalie? What's up with that? Isn't your Captain suppose to be the one who leads in those situations?
The Captain in this case is a grinder and a hard worker and not a good offensive player. If Boyd chose his best offensive player as his Captain we all know who it would be, he's the guy who pulled the game out on Thursday night and got stoned with the potential game tying goal Friday. Your best player is not always your Captain.

Last edited by Luvtowatch: 09-23-2013 at 02:51 PM.
Closed Thread