HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Anders Lee to Toronto

Old
09-22-2013, 03:49 PM
FrozenJagrt

vCash: 500
Anders Lee to Toronto

Anders Lee has intrigued me for a few years. An exceptional multi-sport athlete (All-state quarterback, all-state pitcher, and I believe a speed skater) and student who ended up choosing the hockey route. A 6'3, 220 pound center who skates well for a big man. Scoring touch, not the most physical but certainly not shy.

What would it take from a Leafs perspective to acquire him? No, he isn't the most well known prospect and he won't likely be the next Lindros or anything close, but he is a player that interests me.

FrozenJagrt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 04:03 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

I like Lee, but we have Gauthier who is basically just a better version.

Phion Keneuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 04:14 PM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
Gautheir is a better version? Glad to see you have a crystal ball and a bit of homerism there. Id take Lee over him right now.

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 04:35 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Bandwagon since 2008

He's going to be a LW in the NHL, and I wouldn't trade him if I were the Islanders.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 04:38 PM
Benedict Kovalchuk
Kovalchuk: A spy?

Isles are pretty weak as far as prospect LWs goes, and more importantly, the Isles have been patiently waiting on the Anders Lee project for years and years now. It'd just seem foolish and a waste to trade low on him and not see how he'll pan out after this long.

Benedict Kovalchuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 04:41 PM
HyeDray
HFB Partner

Im not in favor of trading him from Isles perspective.

After 3 full seasons of patience with him as he completed 3 full years at Notre Dame, the Islander finally have him set up. He is proving to be a capable prospect, and the Islanders were careful not to rush him and try to pry him loose from Notre Dame.

So why would you go through all of that and then trade him?

Im not suggesting he's untouchable. But what could you possibly offer the Islanders that would make dealing Lee a viable option?

Keep in mind Garth Snow (rightfully IMHO) has remained steady and patient with his draft picks (unlike the worst GM in NHL History, you know his name)

I think Lee is going to eventually be in the Isles top 9 and provide important secondary scoring. He has some grit to his game while not going to be a big open ice hitter. No... Im sorry unless you knock Snow's socks off with a return that makes sense, Islanders don't do this.

HyeDray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 04:43 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenJagrt View Post
Anders Lee has intrigued me for a few years. An exceptional multi-sport athlete (All-state quarterback, all-state pitcher, and I believe a speed skater) and student who ended up choosing the hockey route. A 6'3, 220 pound center who skates well for a big man. Scoring touch, not the most physical but certainly not shy.

What would it take from a Leafs perspective to acquire him? No, he isn't the most well known prospect and he won't likely be the next Lindros or anything close, but he is a player that interests me.
Teams generally don't draft guys, wait for them to develop, and just when they are ready..... deal him (though this kinda did happen recently with the Habs and Kristo).

Just don't see the Isles being interested at all.

Dr Quincy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 04:44 PM
FrozenJagrt

I was not aware he'd been moved to the wing permanently. I understand Islanders fans not wanting to let him go. I know he has caused a bit of grief for the organisation (simply meaning the dread that he might have chosen the football route, I know a lot of fans were nervous about that) and it has been a long wait. I like the way he has developed and I think the Isles have a gem.

And aside from both players being huge, I don't see many similarities between Gauthier and Lee. Lee is a better skater, stronger, slightly more physical and has more offensive upside while Gauthier is bigger, better defensively and in my opinion has better hockey IQ. They don't play extremely similar styles.

At any rate, what it looks like is the Islanders fans are not willing to even suggest a deal? I can understand because he does have intriguing upside and it has been a long, steady wait with him. Thanks anyway.

FrozenJagrt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 11:40 AM
entropism

Quote:
I know he has caused a bit of grief for the organisation (simply meaning the dread that he might have chosen the football route, I know a lot of fans were nervous about that) and it has been a long wait. I like the way he has developed and I think the Isles have a gem.
Honestly I don't think many fans were nervous about the football thing, as that got cleared up pretty early. A lot of fans were worried he'd use the college loophole and go the free agent route, and not sign with the team.

entropism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 12:24 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Considering Anders Lee's strengths are finishing and physicality and his weakness is skating, I'd say he's nothing at all like Gauthier.

In any case, if Anders is dealt it will be after this year if it is not clear that he will earn a one-way contract. Unless you're offering Reimer.

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 12:29 PM
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent

vCash: 237
Quote:
Nope.

Lee is a 23 year old, 225lbs man on the cusp of being a full time bottom six NHLer.

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 12:45 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Ok, I'll bite.

Convince us that this post is not pure homerism.

Tell us 1) in what ways Gauthier and Lee are very similar players, 2) what evidence there is that Gauthier is the better prospect.

I'm betting that you can't address either of those questions in a semi-informed way.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 12:52 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
Teams generally don't draft guys, wait for them to develop, and just when they are ready..... deal him (though this kinda did happen recently with the Habs and Kristo).

Just don't see the Isles being interested at all.

Yeah, and the other component is that there probably is not much incentive to trade him since he does not have high trade value. He won't bring enough back in a deal to make it worthwhile.

Old
09-23-2013, 01:17 PM
ResilientBeast
Fire Eakins

vCash: 1170
Wow, I knew the name but never much about him, sounds like he'd be a perfect fit for the oilers.

What would you want?

ResilientBeast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 01:19 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResilientBeast View Post
Wow, I knew the name but never much about him, sounds like he'd be a perfect fit for the oilers.

What would you want?
Did you miss the part where everybody commented that he is not available in a trade?

Old
09-23-2013, 01:21 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:

What would you want?
Garth has pointed out that the 23 yr old has little trade value. He is headed to the AHL for his first pro season.

Why would the isles trade him when he has practically no trade value ? Isles are not looking to do favors for other teams.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 01:38 PM
ResilientBeast
Fire Eakins

vCash: 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
Did you miss the part where everybody commented that he is not available in a trade?
No, but by the sounds of it it's worth asking.

ResilientBeast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 01:42 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
No, but by the sounds of it it's worth asking.

Well, it is a trade thread, so talking about a potential trade certainly seems reasonable.

But, think about it this way, EDM has no available vets the Isles want or need.

Your high end prospects are all worth far more than Anders Lee.

Your mid to low prospects are not going to be enough to entice the Islanders to move a kid they love.

So, essentially, not a deal there that makes sense.

Old
09-23-2013, 01:50 PM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Why would the Islanders trade away a PPG player?

Drew311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 01:55 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
I was not aware he'd been moved to the wing permanently. I understand Islanders fans not wanting to let him go. I know he has caused a bit of grief for the organisation (simply meaning the dread that he might have chosen the football route, I know a lot of fans were nervous about that) and it has been a long wait. I like the way he has developed and I think the Isles have a gem..
The issue with him going the football route was before he was drafted, he was passed over in the 2008 draft. I so badly wanted the Habs to pick him in the 7th round in '08 despite the talk that he may go the football route as I started scouting him back when Lee was with St Thomas in the USHS.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 03:34 PM
SchultzSquared

Quote:
Well, it is a trade thread, so talking about a potential trade certainly seems reasonable.

But, think about it this way, EDM has no available vets the Isles want or need.

Your high end prospects are all worth far more than Anders Lee.

Your mid to low prospects are not going to be enough to entice the Islanders to move a kid they love.

So, essentially, not a deal there that makes sense.
Depends what you rank Marincin (mid or high end)... 6'4 LD... 30 points +20 first pro season... value is probably same as LEE'S... do the Isles need more D prospects I guess is the question???

Myself I would do Marincin + one of Curtis Hamilton, Tyler Bunz or 3rd 2014 for Lee... just because we have surplus D and Lee is what we need up front

SchultzSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 03:39 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzSquared View Post
Depends what you rank Marincin (mid or high end)... 6'4 LD... 30 points +20 first pro season... value is probably same as LEE'S... do the Isles need more D prospects I guess is the question???

Myself I would do Marincin + one of Curtis Hamilton, Tyler Bunz or 3rd 2014 for Lee... just because we have surplus D and Lee is what we need up front

The Isles have three dmen drafted on the first round knocking at the door (de Haan, Reinhart, and Pulock), and they all seven of their picks on defensemen last year. They also have Matt Donavan coming off a great AHL year and basically a lock to start the team. Not, to mention the reality that the defense is all very young, with only Vish being a graybeard. So,defense prospects is about the last commodity the Isles need.

In contrast, with the trade of Nino, Lee becomes our top ranked winger prospect.

So, from a needs perspective, that's the exact opposite of what we need.

Its also overpayment, but that is another issue.

Old
09-23-2013, 03:41 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzSquared View Post

Reinhart , Pulock , Pelech , Mayfield , Donovan , De Haan , Russo..nah the isles will keep Lee and let their own blueline prospects develop.

Old
09-23-2013, 05:14 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Yeah, and the other component is that there probably is not much incentive to trade him since he does not have high trade value. He won't bring enough back in a deal to make it worthwhile.
Looks like Franson is going to be dealt. Franson for Lee and Russo.

Dr Quincy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 05:27 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
Looks like Franson is going to be dealt. Franson for Lee and Russo.
Franson is going to be a ufa next summer.
What are Franson's contract demands on a multi yr extenson?

Isles have one spot open on the blueline and although they have been talking as if it is Donovan's to lose, Reinhart has been pretty impressive.

I don't see Snow moving Lee for one yr of Franson.