HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Eskimos and CFL 2013 season thread Part 3: Eskies 3-9, I ain't even mad now

Closed Thread

Old
09-21-2013, 06:45 PM
Six in O6

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
I haven't paid as close attention to him as I could have this season, but I think Henry did play really well yesterday.
how old is he?
27 and this his third year with the Esks but he had some injury trouble last year I believe.

Old
09-21-2013, 08:09 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
I have to chime in on the play by play tandem for the Esks as well.

Its amazing to me just how bad Morley Scott and Dave Campbell are...have to be the absolute worst radio team in the CFL.
Deplorable play calling and color commentary. I have listened to every broadcast (except Montreal) and the Esks play calling is easily the worst.
Bush league to be sure.

Old
09-22-2013, 12:31 AM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
A couple more wins and we can look forward to seeing Kavis on the sidelines again next year.
It's a scary thought, no doubt. But I still can't see us beating any teams from the West, which puts us at 5-13 at best. Montreal can't possibly lose all the rest of their games to let us into the playoffs.

Old
09-22-2013, 05:04 PM
abootzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post

Its amazing to me just how bad Morley Scott and Dave Campbell are...have to be the absolute worst radio team in the CFL.
Deplorable play calling and color commentary. I have listened to every broadcast (except Montreal) and the Esks play calling is easily the worst.
Bush league to be sure.
Sirius channel 167 carries the home broadcasts of every CFL game so I've heard a fair amount of all 8 crews in action this season. Winnipeg, BC and Toronto are the best with an agreeable mix of professionalism and homerism. Saskatchewan has a very good pbp guy (Rod Pederson) saddled with an awful colour commentator (Carm Carteri). I like the Montreal tandem but I can understand why not everyone does. To me, Hamilton and Edmonton are the two worst. The Ti-Cats broadcasters are just plain dull while the Eskimos guys are disinterested (Scott) and incompetent (Campbell).

Old
09-22-2013, 06:23 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
Sirius channel 167 carries the home broadcasts of every CFL game so I've heard a fair amount of all 8 crews in action this season. Winnipeg, BC and Toronto are the best with an agreeable mix of professionalism and homerism. Saskatchewan has a very good pbp guy (Rod Pederson) saddled with an awful colour commentator (Carm Carteri). I like the Montreal tandem but I can understand why not everyone does. To me, Hamilton and Edmonton are the two worst. The Ti-Cats broadcasters are just plain dull while the Eskimos guys are disinterested (Scott) and incompetent (Campbell).
I didn't know I had CFL pbp, I will have to check it out when I'm the road. Thanks

Old
09-22-2013, 07:31 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:

Bush league to be sure.

Sometimes Morely Scott doesn't even announce a touchdown properly. It's hard to tell if one is even scored. He is deplorable and Dave Campbell is nothing but a paid Eskimo hack and apologist.

Old
09-22-2013, 08:25 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Good post...thanks for the info.

BTW...agreed on everything except to say that the 2 times I listened to the Hamilton PBP it was better than Scott/Campbell from an informational perspective. When I listen to the Esks games there are too many times when I have no idea what the down is and where they are on the field. Its brutal.

Old
09-22-2013, 08:30 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Sometimes Morely Scott doesn't even announce a touchdown properly. It's hard to tell if one is even scored. He is deplorable and Dave Campbell is nothing but a paid Eskimo hack and apologist.
Completely agree.
They are unbelievably bad at painting a picture and keep the listener informed. Its like Scott has had little to no training or direction.

Campbell is a terrible color man...provides little if any insight and his lack of football knowledge is embarrassing.

At least on the Stamps broadcasts (for example) the color guy is an ex player so he provides insight into what the teams are trying to do.

Old
09-23-2013, 09:02 AM
abootzky

Quote:
Completely agree.
They are unbelievably bad at painting a picture and keep the listener informed. Its like Scott has had little to no training or direction.
Morley Scott was an excellent colour man for Rod Phillips and seemed very solid on pbp for the Vancouver Giants. It must have irked him to be first replaced by Bob Stauffer and later not even considered as Rod's successor. Scott seemed a perfect fit for the Eskimos after Bryan Hall's long overdue pbp retirement but it was obvious from the start that he had a lot of work to do to successfully switch from hockey to football. Now in his 4th season, it's obvious that he still hasn't done it. Whether it's age, seeing a CFL gig as a demotion and/or being saddled with a know-nothing partner, there has been precious little improvement from Hallsy's brutal ("The pass is complete to guess who!") last several seasons

Quote:
Campbell is a terrible color man...provides little if any insight and his lack of football knowledge is embarrassing.
Agreed. Dave Campbell is par for the course over at CHED if you think about it. Him, Scott, Hall, Jack Michaels, Reed Wilkins and the recently reassigned Dan Tencer are or were below average in their assigned roles.

Old
09-23-2013, 09:06 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
The reality is that Coehoorn is a #5 receiver. He is not even close to being on the radar regarding why this team struggles on offence.

Its odd to me that gets as much attention as he does.

Koch is a #4 receiver...same deal there.

Its like suggesting that a 4th line player on the Oilers is part of the problem.

Its virtually irrelevant.
No one said any of these guys are going to lead the team to the promised land on their own. But even limited role players can have an effect on a teams success if they do their job properly. It's called depth, and every good team needs it. It doesn't matter if you are the so-called #1 receiver or the #5 receiver. You need to do your job and do it well. Football is a violent game and lots of players get hurt. Other teams focus on the good players and then it's up to the lesser lights to come through. Good and competent overall depth can have a huge effect on the outcome of a season.

Old
09-23-2013, 02:19 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Awesome little piece on Sean Fleming (who was sadly underappreciated by Eskimos fans for much of his career).

http://esks.com/article/not-your-typical-kicker

Old
09-23-2013, 03:23 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
No one said any of these guys are going to lead the team to the promised land on their own. But even limited role players can have an effect on a teams success if they do their job properly. It's called depth, and every good team needs it. It doesn't matter if you are the so-called #1 receiver or the #5 receiver. You need to do your job and do it well. Football is a violent game and lots of players get hurt. Other teams focus on the good players and then it's up to the lesser lights to come through. Good and competent overall depth can have a huge effect on the outcome of a season.
I think the key here is having a solid #1- #3 receivers so you can groom the #4 and #5. The problem as I see it is that Koch and Coehoorn were being put in the #2 and #3 role far too often when they clearly aren't ready. The CFL has no AHL to groom these Canadian players and so it requires some depth to be able to do it properly. Koch and Coehoorn may not ever be top 3 receivers but I think the team has mismanaged its share of players including Koch and Coehoorn so far.

Old
09-23-2013, 03:28 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Morley Scott was an excellent colour man for Rod Phillips and seemed very solid on pbp for the Vancouver Giants. It must have irked him to be first replaced by Bob Stauffer and later not even considered as Rod's successor. Scott seemed a perfect fit for the Eskimos after Bryan Hall's long overdue pbp retirement but it was obvious from the start that he had a lot of work to do to successfully switch from hockey to football. Now in his 4th season, it's obvious that he still hasn't done it. Whether it's age, seeing a CFL gig as a demotion and/or being saddled with a know-nothing partner, there has been precious little improvement from Hallsy's brutal ("The pass is complete to guess who!") last several seasons
Actually I had forgotten about that ridiculous call from Hall.

I agree that it is abundantly clear that Scott is not the answer after 4 years of terrible play calling.

Quote:
Agreed. Dave Campbell is par for the course over at CHED if you think about it. Him, Scott, Hall, Jack Michaels, Reed Wilkins and the recently reassigned Dan Tencer are or were below average in their assigned roles.
Dave Campbell is an all time low IMO. His knowledge of football is embarrassing. At least the others you mentioned can get by.

Old
09-23-2013, 07:19 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
I think the key here is having a solid #1- #3 receivers so you can groom the #4 and #5. The problem as I see it is that Koch and Coehoorn were being put in the #2 and #3 role far too often when they clearly aren't ready. The CFL has no AHL to groom these Canadian players and so it requires some depth to be able to do it properly. Koch and Coehoorn may not ever be top 3 receivers but I think the team has mismanaged its share of players including Koch and Coehoorn so far.

Koch played a regular role last year, so I think he was more than ready for a top 3 spot this year. The biggest problem was 2 fold. Bowman, their #2 guy, has been out for more than a year, and the backups for the 3,4 and 5 slots are Carter, Chambers and Coehorn. Two of which are totally green and the other is a plug. No quality veteran backups. With Koch and Stamps as the go-to guys, most of the teams just keyed on them and had success at times. The other 3 took very little pressure off of them. Even in the games since Bowman has been back, teams are shadowing him and Stamps and there have been long periods of nothing happening with them, and Reilly getting sacked or running for his life because he has no other options. I have hopes for Chambers, despite his cases of dropsies. I'm hoping it's just a lack of concentration that he needs to work on. He's a beast and if he can find consistency, he will be a load. As for the other two, I'm really not seeing anything at present that tells me they will amount to much. Hope I'm wrong.

Old
09-24-2013, 10:30 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Koch played a regular role last year, so I think he was more than ready for a top 3 spot this year. The biggest problem was 2 fold. Bowman, their #2 guy, has been out for more than a year, and the backups for the 3,4 and 5 slots are Carter, Chambers and Coehorn. Two of which are totally green and the other is a plug. No quality veteran backups. With Koch and Stamps as the go-to guys, most of the teams just keyed on them and had success at times. The other 3 took very little pressure off of them. Even in the games since Bowman has been back, teams are shadowing him and Stamps and there have been long periods of nothing happening with them, and Reilly getting sacked or running for his life because he has no other options. I have hopes for Chambers, despite his cases of dropsies. I'm hoping it's just a lack of concentration that he needs to work on. He's a beast and if he can find consistency, he will be a load. As for the other two, I'm really not seeing anything at present that tells me they will amount to much. Hope I'm wrong.
There is a strong possibility you may be right. Time will tell I guess.

However I agree totally with your assessment of Chambers.

Old
09-24-2013, 10:55 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Awesome little piece on Sean Fleming (who was sadly underappreciated by Eskimos fans for much of his career).

http://esks.com/article/not-your-typical-kicker
A top 5 punter in this league career wise if you ask me.

Old
09-24-2013, 12:14 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Agreed.

Old
09-27-2013, 08:49 AM
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter

vCash: 1365
after reading the sun interview with hervey the other day, I really believe that they plan on having Reed coach next season.
It gave me the impression that Hervey likes the job reed has been doing.

also, why is Shaw still on the team? he's getting paid big money to do kickoffs and make really bad punts. they should get rid of him, get someone cheaper and pass the savings on to Bowman. he deserves to get paid.

Old
09-27-2013, 09:04 AM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
after reading the sun interview with hervey the other day, I really believe that they plan on having Reed coach next season.

also, why is Shaw still on the team? he's getting paid big money to do kickoffs and make really bad punts. they should get rid of him, get someone cheaper and pass the savings on to Bowman. he deserves to get paid.
Hervey also said he thinks the 8-game losing streak was good for the team and really galvanized them.

I hate to say it, but this team needs Toronto to come in and beat them 42-3. Two wins over the doormat Bombers is being hailed as some big turnaround by Hervey apparently. Everyone is feeling waaaay too comfortable all of a sudden, it's worrisome. A win over a legitimate opponent would probably mean a 4-year extension for Reed, God help us all.

Old
09-27-2013, 09:48 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
Hervey also said he thinks the 8-game losing streak was good for the team and really galvanized them.

I hate to say it, but this team needs Toronto to come in and beat them 42-3. Two wins over the doormat Bombers is being hailed as some big turnaround by Hervey apparently. Everyone is feeling waaaay too comfortable all of a sudden, it's worrisome. A win over a legitimate opponent would probably mean a 4-year extension for Reed, God help us all.
The problem is Hervey believed in a CFL rebuild and when you look at the boxscores, we've had a chance to win most games.

Sure most people can see beyond those numbers, but outside of us getting those spankings Hervey feels this team is headed in the right direction. I might add that we probably need a few spankings. As one to TOR will be viewed as us not being prepared for one of the better teams in the league. We actually need a beating by Montreal next week.

Old
09-27-2013, 10:07 AM
Beerfish

Quote:

If that is the case then sadly Ed Hervey will be dragged down with Reed. I like Hervey, he's worked his ass off to get where he is and though he's made errors he at least has not been afraid to make moves. If he truly thinks Reed is doing a good job though he can take a walk like the rest of the organization from board to president on down.

Doing a good job in about 1/2 of what is required to be a head coach in this league and doing a HORRENDOUS job in the other half doesn't cut it.

Old
09-27-2013, 11:51 AM
joestevens29

Dave Campbell ‏@Dave_CHED 2m
RB Hugh Charles (hamstring) and DL Don Oramasionwu (foot) out tomorrow and on 1-game injured. OL Gord Hinse to 1-game inj

Old
09-27-2013, 11:55 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Dave Campbell ‏@Dave_CHED 2m
RB Hugh Charles (hamstring) and DL Don Oramasionwu (foot) out tomorrow and on 1-game injured. OL Gord Hinse to 1-game inj
Looks like we will be doing a lot passing since we have no running backs.

Old
09-27-2013, 12:04 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Looks like we will be doing a lot passing since we have no running backs.
Nothing really changes then does it? No play action, just look for open receiver or run the ball and have Reilly go head first into the defense.

Old
09-27-2013, 12:13 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Nothing really changes then does it? No play action, just look for open receiver or run the ball and have Reilly go head first into the defense.
The team knew or should have known what the offense was going to be like in any case. This is the Hamilton offense from last year that rejuvenated Burris. No surprise that RB or not the oc was going to want to chuck it all over the field.

Closed Thread