HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Jonathan Drouin Thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-12-2013, 11:49 PM
TheDaysOf 04

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertguess2013 View Post
Which guys do we have who can play center?

Also who can play forward wise both right and left sides well?

Just wondering if know everything I should about the prospects etc..
iirc

Stamkos, Thompson, Pyatt, and Johnson are primarily centers

Filppula and Killorn can play all 3 forward positions

St. Louis can play both wings

Tyrell was a center in his junior days but hasn't been since turning pro. Connolly also played some center in the WHL, but that might have been because of how bad Prince George was. He's been a winger only at the professional level.

Old
09-13-2013, 07:24 AM
Stamkos Intolerant
Here comes the $$$

I always thought Drouin would be more effective at center, I'm glad to see management give him that opportunity. His favorite player is Claude Giroux, and there are many parallels in his game and Claude's game. If Drouin works a little more on his speed/acceleration (his agility is already elite), and continues to add muscle to his lower body, he will make for a very effective center. I'm not too worried about his faceoff ability atm, as that's a skill that most players develop within the first couple of seasons. His playmaking and vision is top notch, he's the player you want distributing the puck. With all the wingers we have at the moment, this could give us 3 very effective lines. I could see something like:

Malone - Stamkos - St. Louis
Filppula - Drouin - Purcell
Killorn - Johnson - Connolly

Or any combination of those players.

Old
09-16-2013, 12:46 AM
The Sweetness

I know less about Drouin than probably everyone on this board as I've only seen him in the WJC, but I'd be surprised to see him move to wing just because it seems like he is the perfect guy to feed Stamkos for the next decade. Stamkos needs someone to get him the puck so why not Drouin once St Louis moves on?

Old
09-16-2013, 06:01 PM
Paulinho
No Man's Sky

Islanders fan wondering if Drouin is expected to make the team?

Old
09-17-2013, 03:46 AM
LightningStrikes
VL4ever

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulinho View Post
Islanders fan wondering if Drouin is expected to make the team?
Is he expected to make the team? No. Has he a solid chance to make the team? Yes.

Competition is strong. I'm pretty sure he will get his 9 NHL games and the team will go from there.

I wouldn't be surprised if he gets sent back to Halifax to maybe even play the center position there for a year (they were trying him at center in camp). But the kid's talented as hell so maybe he's able to stick with the team.

Old
09-17-2013, 06:29 PM
snowden
Man is matter

vCash: 1742
So can anyone explain to me why they are trying to make Drouin a Center? This doesn't make much sense to me and I feel it might ultimately be a wasted effort. Just wondering.

Old
09-17-2013, 06:43 PM
Mjolnir
Whosoever Be Worthy

vCash: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowden View Post
So can anyone explain to me why they are trying to make Drouin a Center? This doesn't make much sense to me and I feel it might ultimately be a wasted effort. Just wondering.
Answers from the Training camp thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoekkoekPuffs View Post
They're trying him out at centre to see if it's a better fit. If it works and he's better then we just made our team better. If it doesn't then we only wasted a couple preseason games of winger development. They're not permanently moving him nor are they forcing him into being a centre.

Maybe the only reason he's a "natural winger" was so he could play with Mackinnon easier.

I'm fine with Cooper & Co. fully evaluating all of our prospects to make sure we're not missing out on potential to maximize. It's been a foregone conclusion since draft day that he'll get 9 games in the NHL. I'm sure we'll be able to see plenty of winger Drouey then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeykshade View Post
They didn't like that the puck was never on his stick in the rookie tournament. They tried him at center to see if he could get more puck possession time.

Doesn't work if he never wins faceoffs.

Old
09-18-2013, 03:47 PM
snowden
Man is matter

vCash: 1742
Good looking out thanks

Old
09-20-2013, 12:37 AM
TheDaysOf 04

http://tbo.com/sports/lightning/bolt...medium=twitter
Quote:
“You can see he’s starting to open up verbally a little bit more, and all the young guys are quiet at the start ... but he is gradually looking more and more comfortable, just watching him play,’’ Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman said.
Quote:
Drouin played center at the midget level and filled in on the top line for Halifax when MacKinnon missed time with an injury last season. So the position is not completely unfamiliar to him.

“The D zone is a little harder, you can’t stand on the defenseman, you have to be there and you’re depended on down low, so that’s the biggest thing,’’ Drouin said. “I think, obviously, they think I’m a smart player, so they wanted me to play both positions, and whatever is open and where they want me to play, I’ll play. I’m not really worried if it’s left wing, right wing or center.’’
Quote:
“It just seemed that playing on the wing (at the rookie tournament) that he didn’t get that many touches with the puck, and he’s the type of player you want to have him have the puck,’’ Lightning coach Jon Cooper said. “So if you can put him in that sort of position, and again nothing is set in stone, but so far it’s worked. Now we’ll see how he is in the defensive zone and stuff like that. But more based on his hockey IQ, his vision, his smarts and the fact that he has the puck more.’’

Old
09-20-2013, 10:27 AM
TheDaysOf 04

Old
09-20-2013, 11:25 AM
BogsDiamond
Anybody get 2 U yet?

Wings fan here.
So glad to hear I'm not the only dummy that though Drouin is more suited as a centre. I also thought he mirrored Giroux to a great extent.

I think he'll still start at LW to start his pro career, but once he gets his feet wet and becomes acclimated to NHL hockey, they'll move him to the middle permanently.

Filpulla did well when they moved him to LW the last couple of years, but I wonder if the reason he bolted (pun-intended) was that he wanted to be a centre again?
I would think he'd be penciled in as their 2nd-line pivot to start the season

With guys like Stamkos, St.Louis, Filpulla, Connolly and Drouin as their potential top-6 forwards, I'm looking forward to watching some Lightning hockey again this year with my C.I. package.

Old
09-21-2013, 06:13 PM
TheDaysOf 04

https://twitter.com/TBLightning
Quote:
It's true! We have @jodrouin27 jerseys in stock at the team store located next to the McDonald's Ticket Office. pic.twitter.com/rou3eW0DQt

Old
09-22-2013, 12:30 AM
TheDaysOf 04

Old
09-23-2013, 05:37 AM
whuttheeperson

I really want to take Drouin in my pool, however my team is pretty set. What do you guys think I should do? If I get him I'd rather do it now instead of a wait and see approach. Sorry if wrong thread. Thanks!

Old
09-23-2013, 10:12 AM
HFX902

More and more talks about Drouin returning to the Qmjhl.

Old
09-23-2013, 10:30 AM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFX902 View Post
More and more talks about Drouin returning to the Qmjhl.
I would not be surprised.

Old
09-23-2013, 01:34 PM
PensBandwagonerNo272
3 Beers 1 Cup

He would absolutely slay the Q this year if so.

I'm really, really pulling for him though.

There is no way that he couldn't help the Lightning this year, but maybe they want him to play a year at center in junior first.

Old
09-23-2013, 03:33 PM
TheDaysOf 04

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightn...medium=twitter
Quote:
After playing center for the first 12 days of training camp, Jonathan Drouin, the No. 3 overall pick of the June draft, returned to his natural spot at left wing during a situational scrimmage at Germain Arena in Estero. That he was on a line with C Steven Stamkos and Marty St. Louis made it special.

“It was exciting to be on a line with those two guys,” Drouin said. “They make plays. They’re smart. It makes everything easier on the ice.”

Expect to see that line in Tuesday's preseason game at Nashville.
Quote:
“We wanted to take a look at Jonathan at center. Now we’ll take a look at him at wing,” he said. “There’s no guarantees where he’ll be in the lineup moving forward. But it was good to see him in the scrimmage. I thought he did well there.”

Stamkos seemed pumped by the chance to play with Drouin.

"It's something that's been talked about when he came here where he'll fit in," Stamkos said. "Any time you get to play with a skill player like that, you're excited to see what the chemistry is."

Old
09-23-2013, 03:49 PM
MattM92

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post
Thank you! You have no idea how happy it makes me to hear that

Old
09-24-2013, 08:49 AM
Tarasenko
Unregistered User

vCash: 825
I'll probably have the first choice in my rookie draft this year. Should I take Drouin, MacKinnon or Barkov?

Old
09-24-2013, 10:09 AM
HoseEmDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarasenko View Post
I'll probably have the first choice in my rookie draft this year. Should I take Drouin, MacKinnon or Barkov?
Wait till after tonight, if he shows any chemistry with Stamkos he might stick. But he looks like going back to the Q so go with MacKinnon.

Old
09-24-2013, 06:13 PM
Unfinished Business

Send a message via AIM to Unfinished Business Send a message via MSN to Unfinished Business Send a message via Yahoo to Unfinished Business
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
Wait till after tonight, if he shows any chemistry with Stamkos he might stick. But he looks like going back to the Q so go with MacKinnon.
I agree guys are stepping up I thought was zero shot of drouin going back down still think is very low chance. I would keep him up and run him 8-10 minutes myself over sending down honestly but I am not management and if they want him to play center for a year it makes absolute sense to send down for one season.

I think he has chemistry with anyone who is elite player so will look good in next few games as forward so we keep him up. Is just a management decision do we want him to work as a center for a year and work on D hard for that year and get full minutes?

If not we keep him I do not know see pros and cons of both. I would like him up think he is elite playmaker and can play right now and honestly has a real shot to win calder rookie of year if stays and plays full season in tampa.

Not a waste cause we have such a great amount of 21-22 year old guys fully two way players ready on transition that drouin is a luxury lol. Didnt see it like that before camps but do now.

He is better player in long run than mack and barkov imo so depends on you guys if is keeper leagues. When he does play in nhl this year or next he will be a force and not an afterthought even if plays limited minutes on second line and gets power play etc.. Shares time with say malone? He will still be a calder finalist. Kid is amazing and only going to grow no matter what the decision is for now.

Old
09-24-2013, 06:22 PM
CupsOverCash

I think it's wild we're sending him back to the Q but with the depth we have he might just have to wait his turn. Not a bad problem to have. Now if our goaltending was a similar problem I'd be feeling very confident about our chances going forward. But Vasi might be the savior if one of these guys doesn't step up.

Old
09-25-2013, 12:07 PM
TheDaysOf 04

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...medium=twitter
Quote:
"He's 18 years old, so for an 18-year-old kid, and he is still a kid, to come in here and do what he's doing, he has to be a really good hockey player to keep up with what is going on here," Lightning coach Jon Cooper said. "Are there holes in his game? There are. There are holes in everyone's game. Every game, just learn from it and move on and get better. He made mistakes tonight and he did some good things tonight, but you can see he's put himself in the mix, so that's good."
Quote:
"When they told me (I would play center) it was a little bit of a surprise," he said. "I've been playing left wing all my juniors. It's an adjustment."

An adjustment he had planned on?

"No, not really," Drouin said. "They threw it at me at the rookie tournament and they still want me to play there, so I don't mind it. So I've been playing center and I'm fine with it if that's where they want me to play and I can't really do anything about that."

To Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman, the move is only logical.

"We just think he's a centerman," Yzerman said. "I know he can play the wing, I'm not worried about it, but he had played center before going to Halifax (Quebec Major Junior). We just decided here to put him there. We can switch him back to the wing at any point, but for now we want to watch him in the middle.

"He's a smart kid. He's quiet. I think he's just taking it all in and learning. It's a big jump going to your first NHL camp from junior, and seeing how big and strong and fast the players are. He's learning a lot and I think he's adjusting well."
Quote:
"This is a fast pace," Cooper said. "You just can't jump in. He has to learn to play the pace of the game. It takes time to learn to play the pace, I don't care who you are. Slowly but surely he's getting better at it. Sometimes he gets caught standing still a little bit. He got popped once on a clean hit, but his head was down. Again, it's the pace of the game and you won't see that happen to him too often. But it will happen early in his career, but he bounced right back and didn't miss a shift and played hard."
Quote:
"There is a lot going on and I'm 18 years old," Drouin said. "I'm young. There is a lot going on; training camp, practices, it's a grind. Games are tough and you don't get much rest, but the guys here have been great. All the veterans have been helping me off the ice and letting me know what to do."
Quote:
"It's way too early to judge," Yzerman said. "We know what his abilities are. Right now, we just want to let him play and experience his first training camp and preseason, so we're not going to judge him yet.

"He just played in his second preseason game; we've got three more next week and he'll potentially play in all three. We'll just keep watching. There's no rush; there's no timetable."

Old
09-25-2013, 12:16 PM
The Macho Man
Fire Cooper

vCash: 134
Perfect. Be patient with him and let him learn. I really like the way we treat prospects nowadays.

Closed Thread