HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Buffalo Bills: 1 - 2

Closed Thread

Old
09-22-2013, 08:31 PM
Takeo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLH View Post
Yes, teams are regularly without their 3 best CB's and ProBowl free safety 130 minutes into the season. Very little impact.
Who said it has little impact? The point is that all teams deal with injuries so it cancels out across time and games played. Pointing to injuries in the NFL is not a productive conversation.

Old
09-22-2013, 08:31 PM
Dubi Doo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanboySlayer View Post
Geno Smith threw balls that EJ hasn't shown he can yet. Let the second guessing begin.
LOL

Geno had a lot of questionable passes as well. Two of which got picked. EJ was tested by a VERY good defense whom have feasted on rookies in the past. Geno looked decent against a decent defense with zero depth. I think everyone knew if we took a lot of injuries in the secondary, we would fall apart, and that's exactly what is happening. Geno had a much easier match up.

It's no excuse for losing, though. If you want to be successful in the NFL you have to have depth. And it's been decades since the Bills have had solid depth in key positions.

As Bills fans, we should know best you cannot judge a young quarterback based on one season. Let alone one game. EJ has the arm to throw deep. I've seen him do it plenty of times in training camp. He just has to work on his accuracy and confidence.

Lets realize there are going to be growing pains, and hope for the best...

Last edited by Dubi Doo: 09-22-2013 at 08:36 PM.
Old
09-22-2013, 08:36 PM
MLH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
Who said it has little impact? The point is that all teams deal with injuries so it cancels out across time and games played. Pointing to injuries in the NFL is not a productive conversation.
We lost the game because a pretty bad QB continuously beat our 4th and 5th string corners. Almost all of Geno's passing yards were to WRs. The reason he was able to do that was because our entire secondary wasn't playing. I'm not sure there has ever has been a "productive conversation" about professional sports on a message board or even what that really means, but had our secondary not been decimated we would have won this game.

Old
09-22-2013, 08:41 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLH View Post
We lost the game because a pretty bad QB continuously beat our 4th and 5th string corners. Almost all of Geno's passing yards were to WRs. The reason he was able to do that was because our entire secondary wasn't playing. I'm not sure there has ever has been a "productive conversation" about professional sports on a message board or even what that really means, but had our secondary not been decimated we would have won this game.
How many sacks and pressures did the Bills have today???

Oh, if I may add.... 1/3 of a teams success is based on the coaching staff and organiation, 1/3 is based on the QB and 1/3 is based on everything else... Some examples to support this... New England, Indy and the Giants..

Last edited by Robert: 09-22-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old
09-22-2013, 10:04 PM
misterchainsaw
Garbo is coming

Send a message via AIM to misterchainsaw
Justin Rodgers and TJ Graham are terrible football players.

Old
09-22-2013, 11:04 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

This was paiiiinful to watch. Oy

Old
09-22-2013, 11:04 PM
MARCUS FOLlGNO PHD
~

vCash: 50
Quote:
That's the thing though, on a game by game basis they don't even out. It's a better measure of a team to look at a bad loss and say "well they were missing X Y and Z" than to say "wow they suck"

Old
09-22-2013, 11:46 PM
dma0034

I'm not sure what everyone is complaining about. It was EJ's best game in fantasy

Old
09-23-2013, 05:59 AM
Ness
New Age Retro Hippie

I don't get how people are hating on Rogers. What did they expect from him? The kid was playing his best out there. His coverage was actually pretty good on the Holmes touchdown; Geno just threw a perfect pass. There's no defense for the perfect pass.

Old
09-23-2013, 07:43 AM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

I'll bite. I'll be "that guy" today.

"I am a Marrone" should be their new slogan. This guy SUCKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. I don't care if he played and was an O-line/Ofensive Cordinator....coaching is a DIFFERENT breed. Lets go up tempo when we can't move the ball, great idea. Not so much against going for that 4th and 2. In hindsight that 3 would have done nothing.

Injuries happen but jesus....all big names in a week? RIGGED.

The defense was atrocious. For the few plays they made they made Geno look Canton bound.

Manuel sucks. He can't throw the deep ball. All over thrown or underthrown. It's the black Fitzpatrick! Except Fitz could throw it away and do some scrambling. EJ did it twice. The third one didn't count and he fumbled. Sorry I don't see what anybody see's in the kid. Even Fitz had a couple of those.

Stevie **** and play football. This running your trap thing at all turns is an annoyance. He's LUCKY AS HELL that the ref decided to throw a flag on that 2nd 3rd and 6.

The Jets dominated yet did everything they could to give us a chance. Geno showed us what's up. He made some mistakes but atleast has SOME accuracy on the deep ball.

The more things change....the more the stay the same. SOB....Same Old Bills. I almost wish Chan and Fitz and co were back. The only difference being I wish they had Pettine. But after yesterday he doesn't seem like that big a difference maker.

Old
09-23-2013, 09:47 AM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Revising season prediction to 1-15.

Old
09-23-2013, 09:58 AM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Revising season prediction to 1-15.
That's a bit harsh and THEY DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They will win 6 or 7 as usual by accident.

Old
09-23-2013, 12:00 PM
FanboySlayer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFTC Addict View Post
I'll bite. I'll be "that guy" today.

"I am a Marrone" should be their new slogan. This guy SUCKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. I don't care if he played and was an O-line/Ofensive Cordinator....coaching is a DIFFERENT breed. Lets go up tempo when we can't move the ball, great idea. Not so much against going for that 4th and 2. In hindsight that 3 would have done nothing.

Injuries happen but jesus....all big names in a week? RIGGED.

The defense was atrocious. For the few plays they made they made Geno look Canton bound.

Manuel sucks. He can't throw the deep ball. All over thrown or underthrown. It's the black Fitzpatrick! Except Fitz could throw it away and do some scrambling. EJ did it twice. The third one didn't count and he fumbled. Sorry I don't see what anybody see's in the kid. Even Fitz had a couple of those.

Stevie **** and play football. This running your trap thing at all turns is an annoyance. He's LUCKY AS HELL that the ref decided to throw a flag on that 2nd 3rd and 6.

The Jets dominated yet did everything they could to give us a chance. Geno showed us what's up. He made some mistakes but atleast has SOME accuracy on the deep ball.

The more things change....the more the stay the same. SOB....Same Old Bills. I almost wish Chan and Fitz and co were back. The only difference being I wish they had Pettine. But after yesterday he doesn't seem like that big a difference maker.
You may be right but to make long term judgements about a rookie quarterback and head coach after 3 games is foolish. The Bills secondary sucks even when healthy, they were without Gilmore and Byrd, the only two players any decent defense would have any interest in. The Jets defense is good, made our offense look horrible and Hackett had nothing to answer it and even if he did Manuel was terrible. Spiller was also terrible.

I like Manuel's size, his demeanor, his athleticism - his passing accuracy and touch are bad at this point. People are talking about the inaccuracy on deep balls, the horrible sideline fades - what disturbs me more is that his short throws are as bad, throwing at peoples' feet, throwing fastballs at people who are 10 yards away.

Old
09-23-2013, 12:09 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanboySlayer View Post
Geno Smith threw balls that EJ hasn't shown he can yet. Let the second guessing begin.
look deeper into the stats.....

He completed 4 long passed of 40 yards or more...2 were for TDs. Removing those Geno's stats were something like 12-25 for about 125 yds.

He benefited greatly by Buffalo not having their top 3 CBs and not having Byrd.

Old
09-23-2013, 12:12 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Which has nothing to do with specific games. The Jets weren't dealing with anything like the Bills were. I would easily take our defense with Gilmore, McKelvin and Byrd over the Jets offense. Our offense vs their defense is a problem though. Our offense hasn't shown it can get big chunks and be aggressive. Colin Brown got abused like he does every time out on the field, because he's terrible. EJ's checkdowns are both a good and a bad thing. It keeps him out of trouble, but he checks down on crucial third downs where you should risk an interception. He's like Trent Edwards with legs right now, in ways both good and bad.

Old
09-23-2013, 12:43 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Random musings:

TJ Graham sucks. People whined he wasn't getting any touches and EJ targetted him all day today to no avail. He has no ball skills at all, the anti Stevie Johnson.

EJ needs to figure out how to throw a deep ball that stays in bounds. Just incredibly bad, how can you consistently throw them out?

I miss Chan Gailey as a play caller. I think the way he called the offense really helped CJ. He is best when the defense is spread out and he can find creases, if he gets momentum past the line of scrimmage and there isn't 3 linebackers it's gangbusters. I hate hate hate that most of the running game consits of that stupid shotgun read option play into the middle of the line.

We got blitzed all night and day and I can't remember a single screen. Football 101, come on.

Missing three of your best cover guys hurts. I can't whomp on Justin Rodgers too bad, dude was a dime corner playing against the 1's, that sort of thing is expected. The safeties were also horrific, obviously Leonard isn't supposed to be playing but Searcy was quite bad. When Byrd comes back hopefully its Williams - Byrd

Just get rid of kick returns, seriously. It's just an excuse to cram more commercial breaks at this point.

Ths was one of the worst reffed games ever. They called a ton of stupid penalties for things like "guys talking to somebody on the other team". The Jets especially got screwed. They totally blew the EJ fumble.

Hopefully Rex Ryan continues his habit of doing stupid ass challenges that he'll never win, because it really paid off that he couldn't challenge the big running play by EJ, he obviously fumbled.

Lots of blitzing and we got nowhere near Geno all night. Against a guy like Smith I'd actually rather just rush four and play Cover 3 zone all day. Playing one on one with lots of pressure plays right into his style IMO

Would like to see more high picks invested into the offensive line. This was a concern for me going into the season and it's been a weakness so far. Guys are hitting CJ in the backfield and we finally played a good pass rushing team and got abused. Get Wood some help.

Last edited by HockeyH3aven: 09-23-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Old
09-23-2013, 03:27 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Manuel needs to be better. He's a rookie, so still way too early to judge him, but he's got to improve in a big way. I think we're seeing why pre-draft he was considered raw with lots of potential, and not expected to be a week 1 starter.

The team's depth is awful. No interior offensive line depth which was expolited in a big way when Urbik went out, no defensive depth...

But there are some positives. Kiko continues to make plays. I thought Aaron Williams did a decent job switching back to CB given the preparation he had for it (none).

Rogers is a terrible CB. There's a reason he's #3/4 (depending on how you rank Brooks) on the depth chart. On a team with some semblance of depth, he should be #5/6.

And who ever would have thought that 3 games into this season we'd be saying "our DEFENSE misses Leodis McKelvin!"?? Why does it always seem to be that right when we get a guy starting to turn the corner, boom...injury.

I'd like to see Hackett work in some more screens. Get Manuel into a rhythm, let Jackson/Spiller/Johnson/Woods/etc. get the ball and make plays. Chandler needs to be better--a TE is a rookie QB's best friend. I don't know if he's not quite back to football speed or what, but he's got to make plays to help Manuel out in tight situations.

Plenty of things to work on against Baltimore next week. Overall though, there is still reason to be optimistic about the long-term future--this year was always going to be about that anyways.

Old
09-23-2013, 03:36 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
I'd like to see Hackett work in ANY screens. Just one even.

Old
09-23-2013, 03:46 PM
is the answer jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
look deeper into the stats.....

He completed 4 long passed of 40 yards or more...2 were for TDs. Removing those Geno's stats were something like 12-25 for about 125 yds.

He benefited greatly by Buffalo not having their top 3 CBs and not having Byrd.
You're missing the point. Geno Smith made the long accurate throws that Manuel can't. I won't be the guy that says they took the wrong qb, because quite frankly I don't see either one of these guys amounting to much of anything (and this isn't just based off of their limited experience @ the NFL level I've watched both in college). At least the Jets only used a 2nd rounder on Smith though...
The best part will be if we end up with a top 5 pick and pass on a real franchise qb in this coming draft because we "already have our guy". Sorry, rant over.

Old
09-23-2013, 04:19 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Injury updates:

Expected to play next Sunday:
Dareus (ankle)
M. Williams (ankle)
Spiller (thigh)

Uncertain:
McKelvin (hamstring)

Out for season:
Carrington (torn quads, surgery today)

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/press-c...n.html?ref=bmh

Old
09-23-2013, 06:46 PM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by is the answer jesus View Post
You're missing the point. Geno Smith made the long accurate throws that Manuel can't. I won't be the guy that says they took the wrong qb, because quite frankly I don't see either one of these guys amounting to much of anything (and this isn't just based off of their limited experience @ the NFL level I've watched both in college). At least the Jets only used a 2nd rounder on Smith though...
The best part will be if we end up with a top 5 pick and pass on a real franchise qb in this coming draft because we "already have our guy". Sorry, rant over.
I share the sentiment of this post. Geno is too erratic for me and not a pocket passer. Once the book is out on the kid and he gets pressured constantly he will do nothing. But he is throwing the deep ball. If it's possible EJ looks worse than Fitz on the deep ball.

Closed Thread