HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Adt russia vs lhjmq challenge tonight

Old
11-20-2006, 09:21 PM
The n00b King ©*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Who's the n00bish Ribeiro look-a-like in your avatar?
http://www.enomine-germany.de/index2.html

The n00b King ©* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 09:36 PM
David_99

What # is Carle? Never see him.

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 09:42 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
What # is Carle? Never see him.
77 plays with 22 Bodnarchuck. On the ice now.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 10:08 PM
deandebean

This Russian team is not very good. Unless it's still affected by the jetlag, it's not a very fast and skillful squad. The Q squad handled them pretty easily.

They'll have to change the formula, because the Russian suspects are getting mauled every year they come here.

Personally, I preferred the old formula of the CHL matchups.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 07:27 AM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Veilleux look pretty good out there, need some work on his skating but at the same age is better than latendresse (i remember at the 04 adt challenge latendresse was really slow and didnt much) i like that veilleux kid

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 07:33 AM
ti-vite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post
Those camera angle are awful! Is it just me?
I live in Rouyn, and was wondering how they would make this aspect better for national TV. Its the configuration of the arena...not very high. Probably why they wanted a tape delay, to try and put together the best angles.

There is a plan to make the arean (Dave Keon) updated (10M$).

ti-vite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 10:28 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post
Veilleux look pretty good out there, need some work on his skating but at the same age is better than latendresse (i remember at the 04 adt challenge latendresse was really slow and didnt much) i like that veilleux kid
I don't know if he's "better" than Latendresse at the same age... unless you mean just in terms of his skating. Anyway, once you can get over the freakishly-Dagenais-like body (i.e. 6-5 but just 200), he did seem to have a great game and was on the perfect complementary line with the visionary Esposito and the dynamic Perreault. If he can fill out and get a more killer instinct, he should be a fine big forward. He really seems to know how to play down low. I don't know if he has the puck skill that Latendresse does, but I can see why he has the high ranking now!

I thought Carle was extremely average. It's true that with 4 sets of defensemen, none of the non-Bourdon/Letang guys really got a lot of time. Carle's opportunities to step on the ice did seem to pick up as the game went on, but I couldn't see him doing anything to stand out from the rest of the rink-advertising-calibre defensemen on the team. Bourdon and Letang are already on Team Canada, so I guess they don't have too much to play for. Gragnani was the only defenseman on the scoreboard, although he had a couple of own-zone hiccups too. At least you could notice him, though. It's just one game, but you couldn't really convince me that Carle was better than the 5th or 6th defenseman on the team last night. Sauve looks frighteningly big and filled-out for his age, and I though his skating was quite nice for his size too, reminiscent of O'Byrne in some ways. If he has offense to add to that package, wow, he'll be a force eventually.

Anyway, it's so hard to try to judge the players against such mediocre competition... I really hope they fix the format for next year. If Russia isn't going to send anything better than a 'B' team, then invite a different country. The 'A' teams from the Czech Republic or Slovakia could really mix in a lot of CHLers, for example, and you'd like to think their 'A' teams could really give our league-by-league teams a solid run.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 10:49 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Anyway, it's so hard to try to judge the players against such mediocre competition... I really hope they fix the format for next year. If Russia isn't going to send anything better than a 'B' team, then invite a different country. The 'A' teams from the Czech Republic or Slovakia could really mix in a lot of CHLers, for example, and you'd like to think their 'A' teams could really give our league-by-league teams a solid run.
CHL VS Best Europeans playing in the CHL.....is there enough of those????

Old
11-21-2006, 10:51 AM
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"

Marc Lachapelle said yesterday on CKAC that this challenge is the worse joke EVER this year. We pay everything for the Russian team, even their equipment, they have 50k$ per city given to them not to mention all the airplane, bus, hotels fees paid by us and they can't play hockey. He said he hopes it's the last time we do this because it's a monumental JOKE.

TheDamned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 10:55 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDamned View Post
Marc Lachapelle said yesterday on CKAC that this challenge is the worse joke EVER this year. We pay everything for the Russian team, even their equipment, they have 50k$ per city given to them not to mention all the airplane, bus, hotels fees paid by us and they can't play hockey. He said he hopes it's the last time we do this because it's a monumental JOKE.
I will say it is substantially "better than nothing", however. I'd rather take even the Russian "B" or "C" team than have no tourney at all. But given how it's pretty much no-cost for the visitor, I would have thought *somebody* else would be willing to step up. Maybe they just think they can't really market anything except Canada-vs.Russia successfully?

Old
11-21-2006, 07:28 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Bad bad first period by Carle, in this 2nd game of that tournament, one turnover after another.....Didn't see too much of the 2nd though....

Francis Paré looks like Giroux sometimes.....This undrafted kid might be worth a look in a future camp, awfully small though....

Old
11-21-2006, 07:44 PM
Adam91

Can anyone tell me why the hell David Perron didn't make this team?

Adam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 08:14 PM
znk

Quote:
I will say it is substantially "better than nothing", however. I'd rather take even the Russian "B" or "C" team than have no tourney at all. But given how it's pretty much no-cost for the visitor, I would have thought *somebody* else would be willing to step up. Maybe they just think they can't really market anything except Canada-vs.Russia successfully?
There is no real reason for this....It's supposed to help to evaluate the players before the world juniors but it dosent really change anything. His explanation was preatty clear on CKAC about players having to fly from Halifax to Val d'or basicaly on game day among other things...

And why would you want a tournament??? The world Juniors are juts arround the corner..... And this is not a tournament. You dont want to make a bigger hole in the league schedual. Quebec plays the russian's twice in 2 days and then the league schedual resumes.
I put absolutly 0 stock in those games.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 08:17 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam91 View Post
Can anyone tell me why the hell David Perron didn't make this team?
I dont know. I dont follow the leauge. Maybe the fact that there are 11 other centers ahead of him in the stats.

Old
11-21-2006, 08:22 PM
TheHoser

Who's this Russian goalie? I checked him out but he's not drafted, anyone know if he's owned by somone? He needs some work on his positioning but the raw talent he's shown so far is spectacular, maybe we could pick him up?

TheHoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 08:45 PM
Faute

Veilleux is a very different player from Latendresse. He has absolutely no mean streak to talk about and doesn't hit.

However, if you can look past that (and you should), you'll notice a really good two-way player. He has really good puck skills, a nice shot and a neat vision. Although he has no mean streak, he's pretty strong on the puck. He wins the majority of his one on one battles, and he's hard to separate from the puck.

His skating looks awkward, mostly amplified by his size, but it's far from being bad.

The only thing that frightens me is that some coaches will probably try to conver him into an aggressive player, only because of his size.

Faute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 06:25 AM
gars59

Bernier 3 goal in 16 shoot ...

gars59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 09:56 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
There is no real reason for this....It's supposed to help to evaluate the players before the world juniors but it dosent really change anything.
I think every look counts, not necessarily immediately for this year's WJC, mind you, but in terms of getting ideas for next year's evaluation camp, and getting a chance to try out the chemistry of certain players together who play on different teams (e.g. Esposito/Perreault, Giroux/Marchand, etc.) It might not change anything, or only rarely change anything for the upcoming tourney, but it gives impressions. The Russian teams, even at "B" or "C" levels, can usually be relied on to put forward a team which skates much better than the average CHL team. You get a chance to see how players can handle that skating, see how they can play against systems that might be more like they'd see in international play, get another chance to see who can keep their cool, and who goes all-out even in a seemingly meaningless tourney game.

Anyway, like I said, even if it doesn't amount to much, it's still "better than nothing".

Quote:
His explanation was preatty clear on CKAC about players having to fly from Halifax to Val d'or basicaly on game day among other things...

And why would you want a tournament??? The world Juniors are juts arround the corner..... And this is not a tournament. You dont want to make a bigger hole in the league schedual. Quebec plays the russian's twice in 2 days and then the league schedual resumes. I put absolutly 0 stock in those games.
? Not entirely sure what you mean, but I'm calling these 6 games against the Russians a "tournament". If it was 6 games against a Czech or Slovak squad only, that's still what I'm calling a "tournament". I don't mean a change in the format, just a change in the country involved, presuming that country would send something which more closely resembled their "A" team. (Although also like I said, I doubt they would have as much luck marketing an "ADT Canada-Slovakia Challenge" in venues across the nation.)

Anyway, I don't get to see more than a handful of QMJHL or WHL games in a season, and this tournament lets me see players I might not see otherwise. Every bit counts to me, so I cherish these games. Who knows if I'll see Keven Veilleux or Olivier Fortier again before the draft? Maybe I will, maybe I won't. But if I don't, at least I got to see these games, which is way way better than nothing to me. Russia can send their "Z" squad if they really want, and I'll still put stock in the games, even if my "ideal dream scenario" would be to see a stronger team involved.(*)

* - although that said, the Russians looked much better last night, pretty much on equal footing with the Q team, or at least close enough... although I still fear for them against stronger OHL or Q teams. We'll see.

Old
11-22-2006, 11:38 AM
znk

Quote:
I think every look counts, not necessarily immediately for this year's WJC, mind you, but in terms of getting ideas for next year's evaluation camp, and getting a chance to try out the chemistry of certain players together who play on different teams (e.g. Esposito/Perreault, Giroux/Marchand, etc.) It might not change anything, or only rarely change anything for the upcoming tourney, but it gives impressions. The Russian teams, even at "B" or "C" levels, can usually be relied on to put forward a team which skates much better than the average CHL team. You get a chance to see how players can handle that skating, see how they can play against systems that might be more like they'd see in international play, get another chance to see who can keep their cool, and who goes all-out even in a seemingly meaningless tourney game.

Anyway, like I said, even if it doesn't amount to much, it's still "better than nothing".

? Not entirely sure what you mean, but I'm calling these 6 games against the Russians a "tournament". If it was 6 games against a Czech or Slovak squad only, that's still what I'm calling a "tournament". I don't mean a change in the format, just a change in the country involved, presuming that country would send something which more closely resembled their "A" team. (Although also like I said, I doubt they would have as much luck marketing an "ADT Canada-Slovakia Challenge" in venues across the nation.)

Anyway, I don't get to see more than a handful of QMJHL or WHL games in a season, and this tournament lets me see players I might not see otherwise. Every bit counts to me, so I cherish these games. Who knows if I'll see Keven Veilleux or Olivier Fortier again before the draft? Maybe I will, maybe I won't. But if I don't, at least I got to see these games, which is way way better than nothing to me. Russia can send their "Z" squad if they really want, and I'll still put stock in the games, even if my "ideal dream scenario" would be to see a stronger team involved.(*)

* - although that said, the Russians looked much better last night, pretty much on equal footing with the Q team, or at least close enough... although I still fear for them against stronger OHL or Q teams. We'll see.

How can you call this a tournament? Russia plays 6 games, quebec 2, ontario 2, west 2.

Old
11-22-2006, 11:59 AM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
How can you call this a tournament? Russia plays 6 games, quebec 2, ontario 2, west 2.
How is that not a tournament? Euro Cup plays even less games and that's one of the bigger tournaments overseas.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 12:05 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
How is that not a tournament? Euro Cup plays even less games and that's one of the bigger tournaments overseas.
Usualy in a tournament teams have the chance to play the same amount of games....And you get to face different competition.
In this....Russia plays 3 different opponents and the others only play on opponent. And there isnt there supposed to be a winner after a tournament?

Old
11-22-2006, 12:11 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Heh, only on HFBoards, eh? Sure, sure, call it a "series" or a "challenge" or whatever the official (and more suitable) name of it is. I was just pointing out that in my original post I used the word "tournament" (poor word choice) {actually "tourney"} to represent it, but I didn't mean to imply any change in the 6 vs. 2,2,2 "series" format.

Old
11-22-2006, 03:13 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
Heh, only on HFBoards, eh? Sure, sure, call it a "series" or a "challenge" or whatever the official (and more suitable) name of it is. I was just pointing out that in my original post I used the word "tournament" (poor word choice) {actually "tourney"} to represent it, but I didn't mean to imply any change in the 6 vs. 2,2,2 "series" format.
It is actually called Challenge, it's the Remax Challenge from what I recall or that's what it was when it started out, don't know if they kept with that title but it doesn't matter.

Quote:
Usualy in a tournament teams have the chance to play the same amount of games....And you get to face different competition.
In this....Russia plays 3 different opponents and the others only play on opponent. And there isnt there supposed to be a winner after a tournamen
I dont know if a tournament has to have a winner, I don't see what it matters, it's just a word. Aside from semantics, it's whatever you want to call it. I call it a tournament, CHL vs Team Russia, winner is usually the CHL as Russia seems to win about 1 or so games each year of the 6 but it's not about winning or the name, it's a chance to see osbcure Russian prospects that must people would usually never get to see plus it puts the best U-20 CHLers from Canada together with the chance to see future draft eligible players.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 04:13 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
It is actually called Challenge, it's the Remax Challenge from what I recall or that's what it was when it started out, don't know if they kept with that title but it doesn't matter.

I dont know if a tournament has to have a winner, I don't see what it matters, it's just a word. Aside from semantics, it's whatever you want to call it. I call it a tournament, CHL vs Team Russia, winner is usually the CHL as Russia seems to win about 1 or so games each year of the 6 but it's not about winning or the name, it's a chance to see osbcure Russian prospects that must people would usually never get to see plus it puts the best U-20 CHLers from Canada together with the chance to see future draft eligible players.
Must be a professional deformation(the porper definition of words is important in my day to day job), anyway I thought the definition of tournament was pretty clear.

My problem with this competition the fact that you play against suspect competition and the local teams are favored(play in front of local crowd, dont have to get used to the timezones and only have to play 2 games then go home). There is verry little intensity in these games. You dont see alot of shot blocking, hits, no real team system etc.... It has a rather layed back feel to it and looks just like what it is....an exhibition game. I really dont think it's a good place to evaluate players. There are some guys that might look out of place in such a game but would be great in a semi final game vs the russians in january.

Old
11-22-2006, 10:24 PM
habsfan89

i was at the game and Carle hasn't impressed me at all, but i know it's juste one game and not the kind of game you can judge someone one because sincerelly the only players who have really impressed me were brad marchand, krystopher letang, Luc Bourdon and of course Claude Giroux.

P.S: i was juste next to the guy with the '' Leroux for president'' pancarte lol don't know the english word anybody saw it on sport 30 just for fun!

habsfan89 is offline   Reply With Quote