HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Zack Kassian

Old
09-23-2013, 07:40 AM
Bleach Clean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Kassian is better than people give him credit for. He's just 22, has great size/strength, and solid offensive talent. He'll be a quality top 6 power forward in the relatively near future, and I'm sure he's not someone the Nucks would be interested in trading?

Is he as good as Hodgson? Definitely not, but I think he'll be a good player.

As good as Hodgson is right now? No. That much is clear. I do like his potential though.

Kassian has to develop, and he will be given a larger role to do so this year. If he takes advantage this year, the tune around here will change. If he doesn't, then I can't see his value being any lower than what is regarded to be around HF anyway. Time will tell.

Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 09:49 AM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
Lots of Canucks fans think he's the next Bertuzzi.... Seriously.
That is something of a broad statement. Bertuzzi's production was/is a myriad of inconsistency. When people cite him as a ceiling, they are likely attributing his aggressive style of play and skill with the puck to Kassian, who has indeed shown such ability. That does not mean they anticipate a 90+ point future, but probably more along the 50-60 number.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 10:06 AM
The Kassian Train
228 LBS of Pain

Quote:
Because he's tough, but he is always a step behind just like Bernier was, misses easy chances just like Bernier did, lacks hand eye coordination just like Bernier did, can float just as well as Bernier, he actually finishes way less checks than Bernier, scored way less in junior than Bernier. but no he's better than Bernier right?
How many games did Berni get with the top 6 before he was deemed a bust. And don't give me this horse **** answer that AV successfully brought up the core because as far as the core is concerned, I give it more to Crow who started that development and AV just built off it.

AV has no ****ing clue when it comes to developing kids. Lemme know when you can think of one player he really developed after he arrived in Vancouver. Edler is more of a Bowness development btw same with Tanev. Go on i'ill wait boo boo.

The Kassian Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 10:54 AM
TylerSVT*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sweetness View Post
I really appreciate all the input.

I haven't seen Kassian much at all but am surprised to see his value so low considering the talk he may play alongside the Sedin's this year.
He is big and can put the puck in the net with some decent skill, but he has the hockey IQ of a brick and is really undisciplined. If he didnt have mush for brains he would probably be a very good winger for the Sedins, but i dont think he plays a fast enough, smart enough, game for those 2.

TylerSVT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 12:59 PM
ChoseLa

Wow Oilers fans seems to hate him with passion, he must be doing something good!

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 01:01 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
Wow Oilers fans seems to hate him with passion, he must be doing something good!
Being traded to the Canucks was a good start.

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 01:04 PM
Szechwan
Plug Life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
He is big and can put the puck in the net with some decent skill, but he has the hockey IQ of a brick and is really undisciplined. If he didnt have mush for brains he would probably be a very good winger for the Sedins, but i dont think he plays a fast enough, smart enough, game for those 2.
Oh man a 22 year old isn't smart enough to play with two of highest IQ players in the league? What a waste of a roster spot right?

People have this notion that being on the Sedin line is easy, but it's a role that ends up being a lot more strict than playing on the wing of another line because their games are so well defined at this point. Say what you want about Burrows but he's one of the smartest forwards we have- he knows exactly where to be at both ends of the ice and he has the wheels to get there. That's a rarity and one of the main reasons for his success.

Sure, Kassian needs to work on finding space in the offensive zone and on player coverage in the defensive zone, but his level of playmaking ability doesn't exist in players without any hockey IQ. Call him dumb as a brick off the ice if you want, but on the ice he simply a young kid still adjusting to the best league in the world.

Szechwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 01:57 PM
TylerSVT*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szechwan View Post
Oh man a 22 year old isn't smart enough to play with two of highest IQ players in the league? What a waste of a roster spot right?

People have this notion that being on the Sedin line is easy, but it's a role that ends up being a lot more strict than playing on the wing of another line because their games are so well defined at this point. Say what you want about Burrows but he's one of the smartest forwards we have- he knows exactly where to be at both ends of the ice and he has the wheels to get there. That's a rarity and one of the main reasons for his success.

Sure, Kassian needs to work on finding space in the offensive zone and on player coverage in the defensive zone, but his level of playmaking ability doesn't exist in players without any hockey IQ. Call him dumb as a brick off the ice if you want, but on the ice he simply a young kid still adjusting to the best league in the world.
Meh, not really what i see. His "playmaking" is being over rated by you a lot, he just looks like a big dumb enforcer to me. Sure he skates a bit better and shoots better, but he doesnt strike me as a high skilled guy. Just a big body who can throw punches and put the puck in the net 15 times a season.

TylerSVT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 02:01 PM
Demetric

vCash: 301
at this time, I know this wont be accepted by Van and should not be but all i would offer at the moment is Jackman + Nemisz for Kassian

Demetric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 02:09 PM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

I'd still love this meathead on the flyers. He could sot into our 3rd line and be a real tough guy to play against.

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 02:10 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pep View Post
Honestly, I think he has very little value, if I were to guess. It's this strange fascination with his size and toughness that overlooks his garbage production and lackluster defensive play. He is a very flawed player with poor work ethic.

I see this as a little harsh. Big physical kids who can play are in short supply around the NHL.

I don't think the Nucks would have any problem whatsoever getting solid return for him.

09-23-2013, 02:22 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

As a player a 2nd round pick. As a person a pile of donkey ****.

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 03:51 PM
nowhereman

What's with all the personal attacks on the guy? Did I miss something?

nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 04:45 PM
Kevin8se7en
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucks95 View Post
Lol what an awful post. Kassian makes some really sick passes, he's got sweet hands and has good speed. He has yet to have the opportunity to play a full season and the NHL level, this year will be his first and we will see what he is made of. He's got a lot of work to do but IMO he's going to be a solid 3rd or 4th winger.
His hands are not "sweet" unless any B level-prospect has sweet hands as well. I'll give the guy some credit for his skating ability, given his size, but that's the issue I have... It's 99% about size.

Take Zach Kassian and make him lose about 40lbs and 3 inches, and he's not even a stand out prospect. I understand that size is something that matters, but it shouldn't be the main thing.

I'm fine with that not being the popular opinion on HF, but it is my own.

Kevin8se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 05:15 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pep View Post
Honestly, I think he has very little value, if I were to guess. It's this strange fascination with his size and toughness that overlooks his garbage production and lackluster defensive play. He is a very flawed player with poor work ethic.
Nailed it 100%. It seems fans always want to target players like this. The best teams are the best teams not because of size, but because of skill.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 07:43 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8se7en View Post
I think he's the forward version of all those horrible BIG Dmen who are always the "Next Chara" and can't even crack the NHL. He was drafted in hopes of being the next Milan Lucic but he will never be that. Ever.

He's a stupid player with a bad work ethic, very little actually skill and is a "big name" because he was a large player that was drafted high.

I would hope any of "my" teams would avoid acquiring him for more than a bag of pucks so that he can dominate/injure other AHL teams in the minors.

Note:
I've literally never heard anyone say he's good without mentioning his size. Chara is good regardless of size. So is Lucic and all those other good players. This guy has nothing but size.
Jeez what a terrible post, its like you've never seen him play before. Most of what you mention is flat out false.

Quote:
Now thats just not true.

Quote:
Meh, not really what i see. His "playmaking" is being over rated by you a lot, he just looks like a big dumb enforcer to me. Sure he skates a bit better and shoots better, but he doesnt strike me as a high skilled guy. Just a big body who can throw punches and put the puck in the net 15 times a season.
You would be surprised, he's definetly a pass first talent offensively, and he can make great passes, he's actually quite smart with his playmaking game IMO. He's great at protecting the puck which alone in winning those battles all the time can setup chances, then he is a good passer who knows when to pass, he can make plays, and has good hands, aswell he's a pretty fast skater.

There has been alot of hate with the suspension, but its just becoming blind hate.

Sergei Shirokov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 10:00 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8se7en View Post
His hands are not "sweet" unless any B level-prospect has sweet hands as well. I'll give the guy some credit for his skating ability, given his size, but that's the issue I have... It's 99% about size.

Take Zach Kassian and make him lose about 40lbs and 3 inches, and he's not even a stand out prospect. I understand that size is something that matters, but it shouldn't be the main thing.

I'm fine with that not being the popular opinion on HF, but it is my own.
Of course it's not popular because its not accurate.

Ill admit he's diss appointing and frustrating, it isn't because of a lack of skill.

He does have soft hands, he does have an offensive/creative hockey mind.

His problem is he hasn't quite realized how to put his size, skill, and ability to intimidate his opponents all together.

He's a pass first player, so he already doesn't fit with the players the Canucks are trying to put him with.

It's the same thing we see with many young players (22-23 is young, even though that's an unpopular belief with the kids on HF) I know it's cliche but less is more, perfect a simple game and his skill will shine through.

He's caught between not knowing how to play a grinders game and thinking he's a prime Todd bertuzzi.

We hope it will come, but one thing is for sure. He is skilled. He just hasn't shown it consistently.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 10:03 PM
BoHorvatFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
That is something of a broad statement. Bertuzzi's production was/is a myriad of inconsistency. When people cite him as a ceiling, they are likely attributing his aggressive style of play and skill with the puck to Kassian, who has indeed shown such ability. That does not mean they anticipate a 90+ point future, but probably more along the 50-60 number.
The only time Bertuzzi was worth his baggage and attitude was when he was putting up 70+ points.

BoHorvatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 10:05 PM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
What's with all the personal attacks on the guy? Did I miss something?
Did you miss his entire career starting from the Juniors? People that think he's innocent in any boneheaded play he makes are out to lunch.

Honour Over Glory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 10:11 PM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
The only time Bertuzzi was worth his baggage and attitude was when he was putting up 70+ points.
What was Bertuzzi's production like without Morrison and Naslund? I think he got hot around the right time for that line, after that, he came back down to what he was, 3rd liner production.

Kassian will have a Taylor Pyatt type career. Loads of potential, not even remotely enough hockey IQ to put it all together. Kassian's DNA has too much derp to be successful.

I like how people keep bringing up age, yeah he's 22, but that doesn't mean he can or will put it all together. He's his own worst enemy. You want to hope for the best for good people, but good god, are people seriously that clueless when it comes to this kid?

Charged with assault, intent to injure, 20 game suspension...all before the NHL. Then he fails to live up to any potential he has, is given opportunities to succeed but he still doesn't "get it" that he needs to smarten up.

Forget his potential, he has a lot of baggage that comes with him, people that whine about "Why would any one employ Matt Cooke" and then turn around and like this kid...pot meet kettle.

Old
09-23-2013, 10:28 PM
ohnoeszz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
What was Bertuzzi's production like without Morrison and Naslund? I think he got hot around the right time for that line, after that, he came back down to what he was, 3rd liner production.

Kassian will have a Taylor Pyatt type career. Loads of potential, not even remotely enough hockey IQ to put it all together. Kassian's DNA has too much derp to be successful.

I like how people keep bringing up age, yeah he's 22, but that doesn't mean he can or will put it all together. He's his own worst enemy. You want to hope for the best for good people, but good god, are people seriously that clueless when it comes to this kid?

Charged with assault, intent to injure, 20 game suspension...all before the NHL. Then he fails to live up to any potential he has, is given opportunities to succeed but he still doesn't "get it" that he needs to smarten up.

Forget his potential, he has a lot of baggage that comes with him, people that whine about "Why would any one employ Matt Cooke" and then turn around and like this kid...pot meet kettle.
Not comparable at all.

You're projecting a lot onto a young guy who has yet to play out a couple of seasons, let alone his whole career.

ohnoeszz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 10:42 PM
kushh

A 22 year old Ryane Clowe had 2 assists in 18 NHL games

A 22 year old Ryan Malone played 3 AHL games and 36 college games

A 22 year old Brandon Prust played 10 NHL games and 63 AHL games

A 22 year old Chris Neil played 72 NHL games with 231 PIM's

A 22 year old Zdeno Chara had 11 points in 75 games played

He's 22 for pete's sake..! Write him off in 10 years when he's Ben Eager, not now when he could be anything in between the players above that all turned outbetter than they looked at 22.

kushh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 10:54 PM
KingsHockey24

Los Angeles offers Dwight King and a 3rd Round Draft Pick.

KingsHockey24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 11:36 PM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushh View Post
A 22 year old Ryane Clowe had 2 assists in 18 NHL games

A 22 year old Ryan Malone played 3 AHL games and 36 college games

A 22 year old Brandon Prust played 10 NHL games and 63 AHL games

A 22 year old Chris Neil played 72 NHL games with 231 PIM's

A 22 year old Zdeno Chara had 11 points in 75 games played

He's 22 for pete's sake..! Write him off in 10 years when he's Ben Eager, not now when he could be anything in between the players above that all turned outbetter than they looked at 22.
Those be some bad comparables. Not even remotely good comparisons.

None of these guys were drafted 13th overall.

Malone was a 4th round pick, Clowe was a 6th round pick. They carved out solid careers for themselves for late picks. Not a single one of these players was taken higher than a 3rd round pick, lol...are you freaking serious right now?

Riddle me this, how many of these guys also come with the resume of Kassian? With his black marks as a Junior and now as an NHL'er before the age of 23?

Old
09-23-2013, 11:41 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
Those be some bad comparables. Not even remotely good comparisons.

None of these guys were drafted 13th overall.

Malone was a 4th round pick, Clowe was a 6th round pick. They carved out solid careers for themselves for late picks.
And Datsyuk was a 5th rd pick yet you compare him to RNH who was 1st overall. Oops there goes another theory of your.

Excellent contradiction

But but TSN said so!

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote