HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs beat the Devils 3-2: Pre-season done the White way!

Old
09-24-2013, 01:09 AM
Nicko999

vCash: 174
It's only preseason but it's worth noting that Markov was insane tonight. Won every single battle and was the general (as usual) on the PP. By far our best player.

Patches was also a beast (second best player).

Nicko999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 01:21 AM
ChoseLa

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
It's only preseason but it's worth noting that Markov was insane tonight. Won every single battle and was the general (as usual) on the PP. By far our best player.

Especialy while being paired with Diaz, Diaz was fumbling with the puck and Markov was making the simple plays to ease things down.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 01:28 AM
FireBergevin
ultimate warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissexpert View Post
suddenly, everyone is low on Diaz, because they want the Youngsters to step in.
remember, it's a good situation to have, rather than having to play the young guns who aren't ready. Letting them grow in the Minors till top-level a la Nashville isn't a bad way either..
Diaz was your best scorer until he got injured last year, they wont't sell him for a small price.
There's nothing sudden about it. He was made expendable when Subban signed and later Diaz wasn't able to rebound after his injuries. He became, and continues to be, a liability.

It's definitely not good for a playoff team to have a soft 2nd pairing question mark. This team already has 2 great PMD.

FireBergevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 01:30 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post

Don't know if he was our best (literally don't know) but he definitely looked more like his old self. If he keeps it up and stays healthy then we're keeping him no questions asked. His skating seems a lot better.

Even think Gorges is starting to look more like his old self too which means our D corps could just be a pretty strong asset. If Emelin comes back without losing a step then we'll be sitting pretty.

dackelljuneaubulis02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 01:45 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by dackelljuneaubulis02 View Post
sure we'll never lean on Bournival for points but why does that preclude trying to get more offense from him?
Why does spending more time in Hamilton = improved offense? It's not a magic formula that works for every player, and requires spending a lot of time with the puck on your stick as someone who the puck goes through on powerplays, etc (which isn't Bournival's game, even at the AHL level). I'd say he's someone who will develop his "kind" of offense best by learning how to fight for ice at the NHL level against NHL level checking and developing his NHL timing and comfort level.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 01:50 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
He's a useful player with a skill set that Tins can't replace. Bou on the other hand...
Looked worse to me than Diaz. Give Tinordi his spot, and put Diaz beside him on the 3rd pairing.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 02:14 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Why does spending more time in Hamilton = improved offense? It's not a magic formula that works for every player, and requires spending a lot of time with the puck on your stick as someone who the puck goes through on powerplays, etc (which isn't Bournival's game, even at the AHL level). I'd say he's someone who will develop his "kind" of offense best by learning how to fight for ice at the NHL level against NHL level checking and developing his NHL timing and comfort level.
because it almost always does? haha. Has there ever been a player that's been screwed by too much time in the AHL?

Look at the breakaway he had on Marty. With his speed now he'll get a ton of those breakaways in Hamilton and surely he'll be better able to pick those corners.

Look at Patches in his second year when he was with Metropolit and Moen. He got tons of chances but couldn't finish. Don't have to tell you the rest.

You could very well be right that he can start out on the 4th line and go from there but to say with such certainty that Bournival's type of game wouldn't benefit from playing big minutes in Hamilton seems a little spurious.

Kind of ironic that you talk of a 'magic formula' in mocking tones only to be so certain of your own idea of what's best for Bournival's development.

I just want to be clear though, I'm 50/50 on where he goes, I just don't know why you're so anti-Hamilton. His game is starting to resemble Patches a lot and could very well get similar results with the same course.

dackelljuneaubulis02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 04:37 AM
Mr. Hab

Briere:
still going to try and be positive towards this acquisition since he was amazing a few times in playoffs (and I love players who can deliver when it really counts...hope he can be healthy and deliver in playoffs).

Desharnais:
not sure we can go far with him in playoffs as our 1st or 2nd center (and he's not a 3rd or 4th line center). I have a feeling management will wait for the right time to move him...raise his value by giving him offensive wingers like Pacioretty and Briere and then he'll get his 50-60pts ...then trade him for a top 4 dman! (Galchenyuk and Eller will take over at 2nd and 3rd CENTER... White as 4th line center).

Diaz:
regular season dman only? (good for 30 to 45pts?). I'm probably not being fair, but...Diaz may not be a playoffs dman. We need dmen who can deliver in playoffs if we're going to go far when it counts.

White:
I'm a White fan...true warrior out there. Just give him some of your confidence...he deserves it since he really knows how to stick up for his teammates.

Bourque:
he was one of our best forwards in 2013 playoffs.
(for the record...I thought he was invisible when he first came to Mtl, but he showed he could be a warrior in last year's playoffs...one of the few bright spots in a nightmarish playoffs...of course Subban and Pleks showed up as well). I'm hoping he could deliver again and be a warrior for our Habs in the 2014 playoffs.

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 04:41 AM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBergevin View Post
Tell management that so they can get value for these guys before letting them go for nothing He's got a laser beam of a shot no doubt about that.

PS you can have Diaz and Moen too for a small price.
Like always, former Hab performs well after leaving the team but shows zero consistency and loses their spot in no time.

Weber will be no different to Palushaj, Kostitsyn or Komisarek.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 04:56 AM
ChoseLa

Yep, i have a very hard time visualizing Weber as a regular NHLer. And there is no way he makes Van's top-6, he's 7th at best but will go back to the 8th spot he knows so much before the end of the season.

Last edited by ChoseLa: 09-24-2013 at 05:03 AM.
ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 06:00 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuxFan09 View Post
Hey Habs fans, just wanted to say that Yannick Weber has been a pleasant surprise in preseason. He's making a strong case for the #6 spot. He has a goal and an assist so far in the game tonight and he has 3 points in 3 games played overall.

Your team really knows how to develop defensemen.
ive always liked him but he couldn't cracked the lineup when he had the chance and was passed by just about everybody in the lineup because of his inconsistency. And I'm certain the he was dangled for a coke and a smile and no one bit.

Talk to me again in 3 months.

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 06:09 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by dackelljuneaubulis02 View Post
because it almost always does? haha. Has there ever been a player that's been screwed by too much time in the AHL?

Look at the breakaway he had on Marty. With his speed now he'll get a ton of those breakaways in Hamilton and surely he'll be better able to pick those corners.

Look at Patches in his second year when he was with Metropolit and Moen. He got tons of chances but couldn't finish. Don't have to tell you the rest.

You could very well be right that he can start out on the 4th line and go from there but to say with such certainty that Bournival's type of game wouldn't benefit from playing big minutes in Hamilton seems a little spurious.

Kind of ironic that you talk of a 'magic formula' in mocking tones only to be so certain of your own idea of what's best for Bournival's development.

I just want to be clear though, I'm 50/50 on where he goes, I just don't know why you're so anti-Hamilton. His game is starting to resemble Patches a lot and could very well get similar results with the same course.
I didn't see every game but I don't know how you can compare Bournival to MaxPac.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 06:14 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Looked worse to me than Diaz. Give Tinordi his spot, and put Diaz beside him on the 3rd pairing.
As long as Murray isn't paired with Markov, I'd be fine with that. Something like:

Markov Gorges
Murray PK
Tinordi Diaz

Doubt we see this though or that Tins replaces Bou in the line up. MT seems to have a man crush on Bou for some reason.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 06:18 AM
SnapVirus

Tinordi - Subban
Markov - Emelin
Murray/Bouillon - Gorges

Ship Diaz in the farwest for a 2nd or 3rd.

SnapVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 06:21 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Agreed about Markov looking good. I was a little worried about him coming into the season but he is looking very solid.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 06:35 AM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Agreed about Markov looking good. I was a little worried about him coming into the season but he is looking very solid.
He even threw a hip check.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 06:36 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
As long as Murray isn't paired with Markov, I'd be fine with that. Something like:

Markov Gorges
Murray PK
Tinordi Diaz

Doubt we see this though or that Tins replaces Bou in the line up. MT seems to have a man crush on Bou for some reason.
Using PK as a 2nd pairing makes no sense, especially after he's won the Norris.
Murray has no business playing on his side. For now, unfortunately, Gorges is the only one that can play there.
Maybe Tinordi will prove to be a lot more reliable and PK will be able to cover some things up for him. But as of right now, Gorges is the only guy that should be paired to PK.
Of course, I'm excluding Markov. He could also play there, last year they had great results together. But I was assuming Markov-PK play on different lines.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 06:47 AM
beaverBFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapVirus View Post
Tinordi - Subban
Markov - Emelin
Murray/Bouillon - Gorges

Ship Diaz in the farwest for a 2nd or 3rd.
Tossing a rookie into a 25-28 min/night scenario? I don't knoooooooow..

beaverBFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 06:56 AM
Madevilz

Not that it means anything, but we have the 2 top goal scorers in preseason lol MaxPac and Bournival with 4 goals.

Madevilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 07:03 AM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverBFP View Post
Tossing a rookie into a 25-28 min/night scenario? I don't knoooooooow..
If PK is playing 25 minutes a night he's getting at least 4-5 minutes on the PP that Tinordi wouldn't be getting.

I'm all for pairing Tinordi with Subban...it may not be the ideal situation but i think that pairing really sets up our top 6 until Emelin returns.

Tinordi-Subban
Markov-Gorges
Murray-Diaz
ex. Bouillon

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 07:21 AM
la25ecoupe

When did Weber go to van? Trade?

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 07:23 AM
la25ecoupe

Tinordi Beaulieu
Subban Emelin
Markov Gorges

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 07:47 AM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Time for all of us to take a deep breath and let Markov cross the street on his own. We're going to have to get over our maternal fears about Markov's knee and accept that he's healthy. The guy didn't miss a single game last season. The only concern should be not overdoing his ice time only to burn him out by April.

Lshap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 07:50 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post
When did Weber go to van? Trade?
Signed in Vancouver as a UFA, also it's a 1 way deal for him

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 08:11 AM
PricePkPatch

I kind of blame Tinordi for the 2nd goal against. He's the reason we haven't been able to clear the zone after 30-40 seconds.

He's great; he's progressing. But he's not at Gorges' level yet. Let him take bottom minutes or maybe Diaz's place at Markov's side.

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote