HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Look like Plekanec is back Between Samsonov and Kovalev !

Old
11-22-2006, 01:02 PM
baldrick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDamned View Post
Our solution to this problem is Higgins center of Kovy and Sammy.

That's it.
Interesting. Could this be why Carbonneau has pushed so hard to get Lats ready?

baldrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 01:06 PM
Catch-22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_Latulippe View Post
To be a solid all-around player you need to contribute offensively. Which is not the case for Pleks.

What we need is a center for the second-line, which we don't have but used to have.

Ribeiro is not a second line centre. He never was. He could never win faceoffs (especially key ones), he never played well in a big game or in the playoffs or against good players. He always sucked in the defensive zone. We are a much better team without him.

Dallas picked up Ribeiro and Lindros because they lost Arnott. And now he gets reduced ice time to limit the effects of his deficiencies. If they have the cap space to keep special teams players at $2million per, good for them. We don't and most other teams don't.

Here's my prediction: Ribs will bounce around the NHL for a couple of years to teams looking for a centre and who are also mistakenly thinking he is just being misused. It won;t be long before he is in the AHL. Bob Gainey is the same GM who got Aebischer for Theodore. The most he could get for Ribeiro is a 7th defenseman. That tells you something.

Catch-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 03:00 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch-22 View Post
Ribeiro is not a second line centre. He never was. He could never win faceoffs (especially key ones), he never played well in a big game or in the playoffs or against good players.
...but he was best pointer of the team 2 seasons ago , playing with Ryder and Dagenais . So , you could talk as you want , that doesn't change the reality ...

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 03:05 PM
Stefan_Latulippe

Quote:
Here's my prediction: Ribs will bounce around the NHL for a couple of years to teams looking for a centre and who are also mistakenly thinking he is just being misused. It won;t be long before he is in the AHL. Bob Gainey is the same GM who got Aebischer for Theodore. The most he could get for Ribeiro is a 7th defenseman. That tells you something.
Just like Briere, Sullivan, St-Louis and Savard etc...

My prediction: Pleks will never have more than 40 points in a season and in 4 years from now will be playing in Europe.

Bob is the same that signed Audette, Turgeon and the russian guy that used to play for the Nordiques... It goes to show.....

Stefan_Latulippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 03:41 PM
zurg999

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post
...but he was best pointer of the team 2 seasons ago , playing with Ryder and Dagenais . So , you could talk as you want , that doesn't change the reality ...
And the reality is that he got the most regular season points on a team that ended up going nowhere.

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 03:58 PM
zurg999

I'm starting to have some reservations about Carbos mixing and matching. It all seems to come back to force fitting players into roles that they can't or aren't ready to play. Brisebois on the first defence pairing, anyone? How about Bulis or Juneau with top line minutes?

This has been mentioned endless time, but with te Bonk-Johnson tandem working extremely well as both a shutdown line and generating chances, why break it up to fix a problem elsewhere? Same with moving Plekanec, who as it happens is working extremely well with Begin getting 4th line minutes and conserving energy for the PK.

I say let the second line (with Kovy centering) sink or swim over a few more games. I'd love to see Lapierre get a shot there, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen, so here's my lineup after Boullion gets his comeback game under his belt...

Lats Koivu Ryder
Sammy Kovy Perez
Murray Bonk Johnson
Begin Pleks Dandy

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 04:25 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:

My prediction: Pleks will never have more than 40 points in a season and in 4 years from now will be playing in Europe.

Bob is the same that signed Audette, Turgeon and the russian guy that used to play for the Nordiques... It goes to show.....
You may doubt about Plekanec's capacity to center a second line, he still didnt prove he could although there is no doubt in my mind he can but saying Pleks will end up to Europe is just insane... The kid already proved to be a quality NHLer...

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 06:17 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
You may doubt about Plekanec's capacity to center a second line, he still didnt prove he could although there is no doubt in my mind he can but saying Pleks will end up to Europe is just insane... The kid already proved to be a quality NHLer...
I agree that he doesn't need to prove he can do the NHL ; Plekanec is a very good role player , and i am sure that plenty GM would like to have him on their team .

For the offensive , it seems that he's not ready yet . I am not convince about his offensive skills but may be he just needs more time to shines .

Old
11-22-2006, 07:06 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
You're right, I think the Plekanec bashing is unwarranted. Then again, I'm not sure I like the constant bashing of players in the league. There's place for criticism, but no reason to hate people you don't know.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 09:18 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurg999 View Post
And the reality is that he got the most regular season points on a team that ended up going nowhere.

second round playoffs , were defeate by the cup winer's team .

Is that what you call going nowhere ?

Old
11-22-2006, 09:25 PM
KaptainKourage*

Anyone know why Bonk was the centre when Kovalev line score (on even strenght )?

KaptainKourage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 09:52 PM
Dr_Hook

Quote:

second round playoffs , were defeate by the cup winer's team .

Is that what you call going nowhere ?
and Ribs was a total non-factor with 3 pts in 11 games ! AND, he found a way to embarass us all with his disgraceful flopping fish routine... Yeah, thx Mikey

Dr_Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 10:01 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptainKourage View Post
Anyone know why Bonk was the centre when Kovalev line score (on even strenght )?
Goal came at the end of a long shift where Plekanec had already headed off, I believe.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2006, 07:08 AM
Stefan_Latulippe

Quote:
I agree that he doesn't need to prove he can do the NHL ; Plekanec is a very good role player , and i am sure that plenty GM would like to have him on their team .

For the offensive , it seems that he's not ready yet . I am not convince about his offensive skills but may be he just needs more time to shines .
So he went from being a second-line center, 60-70 points/year type of player to a ROLE player.... and a year ago he was supposed to match Ribs points total easily.......

Old
11-23-2006, 07:21 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:

The guy came in North America after being drafted for his offensive abilities, did GREAT offensively in the AHL, where the Habs have a tendencie to focus on building players that are good without the puck...

Like you said, just need a little more time AND the right wingers, the kid did good (offensively) on the 4th with Begin, did good too with Johnson in pre season and again in the playoffs with Perezhogin and Zednik...

Too bad we dont have a 2nd line center, for this year it would have been great for the team to keep him on the 4th with Begin, they were looking as good if not better sometimes than lots of 3rd lines...

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2006, 08:39 AM
Catch-22

Quote:

The reality is that he has 5 pts in 17 playoff games.

The reality is that he is a soft little princess.

The reality is that when he led the team in scoring, he was doing nothing more than riding Michael Ryder's coat talis.

The reality is that Stanley Cup champion GM Bob Gainey traded him away for a 7th defenseman and obviously agrees with me and not you. So, talking of talk....

Old
11-23-2006, 08:40 AM
Catch-22

Quote:
So he went from being a second-line center, 60-70 points/year type of player to a ROLE player.... and a year ago he was supposed to match Ribs points total easily.......
Show us where people predicted he would match Ribs point totals.

Old
11-23-2006, 08:44 AM
Catch-22

Quote:

Besides all being BETTER THAN RIBEIRO, those players have one other thing that Ribeiro doesn't and which is paramount in today's game: speed. Ribeiro is just a little soft floater.

When I read these posts, I am never happier that we traded Ribeiro. I would even have been happy just to get a draft pick for him.

Old
11-23-2006, 09:04 AM
znk

Quote:
There isnt only points in this game. Ribs has only on dimension. You cant really use him in a forecheking role or have him kill penalties or give a big hit. It's just not his game. If your going to have only on dimension to your game...that part of your game better be damn good.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2006, 09:16 AM
Stefan_Latulippe

Quote:
Besides all being BETTER THAN RIBEIRO, those players have one other thing that Ribeiro doesn't and which is paramount in today's game: speed. Ribeiro is just a little soft floater.

Well, what you said was being said about these players as well and that's why they went thru the waivers several times without being picked-up.....

Old
11-23-2006, 09:17 AM
Habruti!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurg999 View Post
I'm starting to have some reservations about Carbos mixing and matching. It all seems to come back to force fitting players into roles that they can't or aren't ready to play. Brisebois on the first defence pairing, anyone? How about Bulis or Juneau with top line minutes?

This has been mentioned endless time, but with te Bonk-Johnson tandem working extremely well as both a shutdown line and generating chances, why break it up to fix a problem elsewhere? Same with moving Plekanec, who as it happens is working extremely well with Begin getting 4th line minutes and conserving energy for the PK.

I say let the second line (with Kovy centering) sink or swim over a few more games. I'd love to see Lapierre get a shot there, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen, so here's my lineup after Boullion gets his comeback game under his belt...

Lats Koivu Ryder
Sammy Kovy Perez
Murray Bonk Johnson
Begin Pleks Dandy
Please, do not promote Murray to the third line. This guy as been nothing but a disappointment this year. Its not even funny! At this point I would be all for waiving him and can't believe we cannot have a better fit for our fourth line.

I do not think we should break Perezhogin, Bonk and Johnson. They work well together and it is IMO the best setting to bring Perezhogin to the next level.

THere is not many options currently but to me it is quite obvious that Sammy does not click with Plekanek nor Kovalev. I would relegate him to the forth line. I would use Begin for now on the second line which is certainly not a perfect solution....

Lineup before the return of Higgins:
Lats, Koivu, Ryder
Begin, Pleks, Kovalev
Perez, Bonk, Johnson
Sammy, Lapierre, Dandenault

Lineup after the return of Higgins:
Lats, Koivu, Ryder
Higgins, Pleks, Kovalev
Perez, Bonk, Johnson
Begin, Lapierre, Sammy

Habruti! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2006, 09:21 AM
Catch-22

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
There isnt only points in this game. Ribs has only on dimension. You cant really use him in a forecheking role or have him kill penalties or give a big hit. It's just not his game. If your going to have only on dimension to your game...that part of your game better be damn good.
Good post. And even then there is Alexander "former 127 pts scorer" Mogilny who is playing in the AHL. There is little room for one-dimensional players anymore.

And in terms of points, Ribeiro never produced any in the playoffs so what good is that?

Old
11-23-2006, 09:22 AM
Catch-22

Quote:
Well, what you said was being said about these players as well and that's why they went thru the waivers several times without being picked-up.....
Fair enough. But Ribeiro does not have the same potential as those players. He isn't in the same class.

Old
11-23-2006, 09:23 AM
Stefan_Latulippe

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
What is the difference between having a player that only plays on the PK and one that only plays on the PP?

Both of them are one dimension type of player.

Old
11-23-2006, 09:27 AM
Stefan_Latulippe

Quote:
Good post. And even then there is Alexander "former 127 pts scorer" Mogilny who is playing in the AHL. There is little room for one-dimensional players anymore.

And in terms of points, Ribeiro never produced any in the playoffs so what good is that?

Well Ryder is 3-5-8 in 17 games in the playoffs...shoud we trade him as well?

So what good is that?

Murray is one dimension. Downey is one dimension. Both of them are in the NHL.