HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Center to Edmonton

Old
09-24-2013, 01:44 AM
Oiltankjob Fail

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by internetdotcom View Post
Sens say no. Zibby is already a top 6 quality center, with top line potential.

If you think Zibanejad is quantity, not quality, you either know nothing about our players, never watch our team, know nothing about hockey, or all of the above. Or you are just a huge homer. Not to mention that Zibby is a center, and centers have more value than comparable wingers. The proposal you are referring to is more than fair to the Oilers.
Yes yes you are

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 01:56 AM
The Nuge
Global Moderator
Some Say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Seems like the best fit style wise to me would be Ott. Can fill in at 2C for a bit but slides back to 3C later.

Ott
for
conditional picks (1st if playoffs, 2x2nds if not) and cap dump Hemsky (negative value) to free up salary for another D upgrade.
Hemsky doesn't have negative value, and we need to get rid of dmen, not get more. I would like Ott though

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 02:17 AM
me2
Team Ben Anti-Tank 0

vCash: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Hemsky doesn't have negative value, and we need to get rid of dmen, not get more. I would like Ott though
Well then just skip to

Ott
for
conditional picks (1st if playoffs, 2x2nds if not)

Oilers keep Hemsky and his salary

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 03:43 AM
Kevin8se7en
Unregistered User

vCash: 500
For a stop-gap it seems as though Da Costa and/or Steve Ott make the most sense.

It has to be a guy who could play bottom 6, but temporarily be in the top 6 and I think those two can do that for a month.

You could get both Da Costa and Jim O'Brien off the Sens for a D prospect and/or pick after the 2nd round (hard to say what management wants to do with these guys) and Ott would likely command two 2nds if not a conditional 1st.

People seem to be agreeing on that.

Kevin8se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 03:57 AM
McSuper
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8se7en View Post
For a stop-gap it seems as though Da Costa and/or Steve Ott make the most sense.

It has to be a guy who could play bottom 6, but temporarily be in the top 6 and I think those two can do that for a month.

You could get both Da Costa and Jim O'Brien off the Sens for a D prospect and/or pick after the 2nd round (hard to say what management wants to do with these guys) and Ott would likely command two 2nds if not a conditional 1st.

People seem to be agreeing on that.
I always like Ott,s game when he was with Dallas . He also brings some grit which we need .
RNH
Gagner
Ott
Gordon
Scrub 1
Scrub 2
Looks better then what we have now . However some salary would have to go the other way . It will not be Hemsky . Maybe Nick Schultz .

McSuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 09:07 AM
Trafalgar McLaw
Waive Dallas Eakins

I'd love to acquire Ott. Not only does he act as a top 6 stopgap and bring toughness, but he can play in a 3rd line checking role at wing beside Gordon when RNH/Gagner come back. The Sabres are going into a rebuild and I'm sure Ott could be had, as Marcus Foglino appears to be developing into the same player. The price would be steep though, could the Oil acquire him without giving up their 2014 1st?

To Buffalo:
David Musil/Martin Gernat+2015 2nd

To Edmonton:
Steve Ott

Another deal that makes a lot of sense is Schultz the elder for Johnny Malkin. The Avs roster is devoid of proven NHL calibre dmen (EJ/Hejda are the only ones with experience that aren't a liability), and Mitchell won't be seeing top 9 minutes anytime soon with Duchene, ROR, Stasnty, and MacKinnon.

To Colorado:
Nick Schultz+2014 4th

To Edmonton:
John Mitchell+2014 3rd

Trafalgar McLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 11:10 AM
spiller19

I like the deal and Shultz is an upgrade over many of our d but we would need to get rid of a defensman too.

Shultz to Colorado

Hunwick and Mitchell to Edmonton

spiller19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 01:10 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticOrange View Post
Ehhhh.

I've always liked Plekanec but that's pretty steep.
HOnestly, I think Smid straight up has trade value that is close to being on par with Plekanec.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 01:12 PM
Joey Moss
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiller19 View Post
I like the deal and Shultz is an upgrade over many of our d but we would need to get rid of a defensman too.

Shultz to Colorado

Hunwick and Mitchell to Edmonton
Why would we do this? Mitchell was on waivers a couple days ago wasn't he? Hunwick is a downgrade on Schultz and if we dealt Schultz we likely wouldn't take a D back because there are a lot of guys playing their way into the conversation for a roster spot. Larsen, Belov, Fedun and Nurse have been great so far and I'm sure they'd rather have someone from that group than Hunwick.

Old
09-24-2013, 01:26 PM
Joey Moss
5-14-6-1

I'm not so sure on Da Costa.. seems like a lateral move to just playing Arcobello. My hope is Nick Schultz goes for a 2nd/3rd line tweener type. Someone who doesn't have too much term on their contract and can play with offensive players. Or hope someone like that hits waivers.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 01:43 PM
Avs44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Why would we do this? Mitchell was on waivers a couple days ago wasn't he? Hunwick is a downgrade on Schultz and if we dealt Schultz we likely wouldn't take a D back because there are a lot of guys playing their way into the conversation for a roster spot. Larsen, Belov, Fedun and Nurse have been great so far and I'm sure they'd rather have someone from that group than Hunwick.
When was this?

Avs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 01:51 PM
HarrisonFord
The Pain Is Coming

Honestly, Colborne is a really good player to target here. Joe has offensive talent, is big, and can battle along the boards really well. He's stuck in a bit of a log-jam here in Toronto (behind Bozak, Kadri, Bolland); and I know the Leafs want to keep him; but with the cap and off-season acquisitions, he's going to be the guy getting the short straw. Slot him into your top 6, then when RNH and Gagner get back, stick him on the 3rd/4th line

I'm sure he could be had for a non-top end prospect, or a 2nd round pick

HarrisonFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 06:15 PM
SupremeTeam16
5-14-6-1

I don't think Da costa is so much better then arcobello that it's worth giving something up to aquire him. Colbourne is kind of the same deal even though he's more suited to what we need. Maybe give up a 4th for him or a prospect like musil. Steve Ott would be great but either Hemsky or N. SChultz would have to go the other way for us to make it happen cap wise and I don't see Buffalo doing that.

Looks like we have to hope something decent comes available on waivers.

SupremeTeam16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 06:23 PM
rasarhdasd

One of Mitchell or Colborne as a stop gap makes too much sense. Especially with Gagner being out for potentially 2 months, and RNH out for the first bit, they can slot on the 2nd line or 3rd depending if they want Hall-X-Gordon or Hall-Gordon-X. Then once RNH returns they can go on the 4th/3rd line with Gordon.

rasarhdasd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 06:39 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Well then just skip to

Ott
for
conditional picks (1st if playoffs, 2x2nds if not)

Oilers keep Hemsky and his salary
1) Ott is not a center. He's a winger who's good at faceoffs.
2) Buffalo says no. Ott is a well-liked vet in Buffalo. And he's definitely a big emotional leader on the team. The only time he gets traded is if it's the deadline and he's decided he won't re-sign here, which wouldn't help Edmonton's center situation now even if he played the position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
I'd love to acquire Ott. Not only does he act as a top 6 stopgap and bring toughness, but he can play in a 3rd line checking role at wing beside Gordon when RNH/Gagner come back. The Sabres are going into a rebuild and I'm sure Ott could be had, as Marcus Foglino appears to be developing into the same player. The price would be steep though, could the Oil acquire him without giving up their 2014 1st?

To Buffalo:
David Musil/Martin Gernat+2015 2nd

To Edmonton:
Steve Ott
I'm sure Buffalo would love to deal Ott to add more players to an area of organizational strength without addressing any needs.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 09:54 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Would you consider something along the lines of

Smith + Jim O'brien for a 2nd in either this draft or next? and maybe prospect? How do you gauge Kale Kessy?

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 09:55 PM
jgoud*

MacT just said we'll solve the issue internally. Looks like no trades for a C!

jgoud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 09:58 PM
RealisticLeaf55
Hurt a Smurf

Any interest in Big Joe Colborne?

RealisticLeaf55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 12:12 AM
Aceonfire*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post

Smith + Jim O'brien for a 2nd in either this draft or next? and maybe prospect? How do you gauge Kale Kessy?
We don't have the 2014 pick but I would do the 2015 pick for sure.

Aceonfire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 12:27 AM
CanadianSuperPromise

Quote:

Code:
Z.Smith + J. O'Brien
for 
2015 2nd Rounder + Kale Kessy

sounds mighty fine to me. Although we would have salary cap issues, so someone like N.Schultz would have to be included.

Last edited by CanadianSuperPromise: 09-25-2013 at 12:42 AM.
CanadianSuperPromise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 12:34 AM
Kevin8se7en
Unregistered User

Quote:

Why would Ottawa do this?

Smith is a good bottom 6 player who is locked up.

With Lazar, Pageau, Prince, Hoffman, Conacher, Zibanejad, Puempel, Petersson and Stone.. we don't need any more draft picks. There's literally not even enough room on the team as it is. O'Brien makes sense because it opens up a spot for a better player, but who is going to replace Smith and be better than him? No one...

If we are going to trade Smith, it only makes sense if:
1. We are getting an upgrade somewhere (Like Silfver for Ryan)
2. We are getting something we need

Musil or Marincin would make more sense than a 2nd. We are short on good D prospects. Although they would have to bemuch better than Gryba, Borowiecki, or Claesson for it to even be worth losing Smith.

Kevin8se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 01:43 AM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs44 View Post
When was this?
Different John Mitchell, i know this because a couple guys on HFoil were confused by it.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 09:16 AM
zytz
lumberjack

Any interest in Brandon Pirri? Seems like he would fit in with the offensive-minded youth movement in Edmonton.

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 10:01 AM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8se7en View Post
Why would Ottawa do this?

Smith is a good bottom 6 player who is locked up.

With Lazar, Pageau, Prince, Hoffman, Conacher, Zibanejad, Puempel, Petersson and Stone.. we don't need any more draft picks. There's literally not even enough room on the team as it is. O'Brien makes sense because it opens up a spot for a better player, but who is going to replace Smith and be better than him? No one...

If we are going to trade Smith, it only makes sense if:
1. We are getting an upgrade somewhere (Like Silfver for Ryan)
2. We are getting something we need

Musil or Marincin would make more sense than a 2nd. We are short on good D prospects. Although they would have to bemuch better than Gryba, Borowiecki, or Claesson for it to even be worth losing Smith.

We are heavy in the center position.
Spezza is our number one and Turris is locked in at number two. After that we have Smith, Zibanejad, Pageau, O’Brien, and Da Costa that are all NHL caliber centers.
Personally I would rather run Spezza, Turris, Pageau and Da Costa down the middle and have Zibanejad on a wing ready to take a spot if someone goes down or is injured.
As far as taking a pick, the pick would not be until 2015. As you yourself said we are loaded in the prospect department and there cupboards are full. If we used that pick to draft a player he likely would not sign and ELC until the following year. We would let him develop in the minors and hen move him to the AHL when ready. Look at Patrick Wiercioch. We drafted him in 08’ and he is only now starting his NHL career.
We are also a budget team. Losing Smith and JOB while bringing in Da Costa and Pageau saves us over a million dollars in both cap and actual dollars. Freeing it up to be used later when it comes time to re-sign Spezza or Ryan or to give to one of the RFA’s like Pageau when the time comes.

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 06:21 PM
MuzzaFuzza
#NinetySeven

Quote:

I'd definitely be all over that: Smith + O'Brien for Kessy + 2015 2nd? Or Musil + 3rd?

Everyone healthy:

Perron - RNH - Eberle
Hall - Gagner - Yakupov
Jonesuu - Gordon - xxxxx
O'Brien - Smith - Hamilton/Smyth/Eager/Brown/Jones

xxxxx is whatever Hemsky can fetch at the deadline in terms of a big, defensively responsible winger plus a pick, assuming he plays as good as he has in pre-season.

MuzzaFuzza is offline   Reply With Quote