HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Babcock -- Bull **** Artist

Old
09-23-2013, 06:13 PM
Frk It
#FireHolland

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowah View Post
Nope! He was absent!

I mean, it was like something out of the Twilight Zone. Nyquist/Andersson/Tatar were basically the second line and got good PP looks. Both were sent out near the end of the game trying to tie it up.

And there was no Cleary.
Is that....a THIRD scoring line you are proposing?

Who would do such a thing

Frk It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 06:21 PM
Chance on Chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frk It View Post
Nothing is impossible with this team, though. You have to admit that.

At the end of last season EVERYONE on this board said it was a virtual certainty that Nyquist would be starting on the team for the 13-14 season. But here we are.
And at the end of August most of us though with 16 forwards we wouldnt be signing Cleary but here we are

Chance on Chance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 06:22 PM
Frk It
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance on Chance View Post
And at the end of August most of us though with 16 forwards we wouldnt be signing Cleary but here we are
Exactly. We laugh in the face of logic.

Old
09-23-2013, 06:25 PM
Flowah
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladdy84 View Post
Andersson must of enjoyed that. He's a 4th line center who can't skate that well. Now he'll be a 3rd line center due to the Helm injury playing with Sammy/Bert and Cleary. Poor Joker.
He actually isn't terrible on that line. Either because of familiarity with the linemates or something else, but he doesn't look out of place.

I'd be open to trying Helm out there if he ever gets healthy, but I don't think he'd do that much better. Helm has stone hands and not very much offensive awareness.

Flowah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 06:57 PM
bababooeyII

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMind View Post
What am I wrong about?
That it's as easy as Emmerton getting traded and the other guys getting waived. Even if they do, they will clear waivers and then the Wings are on the hook for their salary. So that won't work.

bababooeyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 01:57 AM
Filppula
Jurks

Quote:
Tatar and Nyquist are competing for spots on a crowded roster. Nyquist is in danger of starting the season with the Grand Rapids Griffins, simply because he is one of only two players (defenseman Danny DeKeyser the other) who is exempt from waivers.
What a freaking joke. Sorry Gus, you're clearly in our group of best forwards, but we're going to send you to GR again because we signed Cleary, and have Tootoo, Emmerton, Eaves and Miller up, and Betuzzi and Samulesson. JOKE.

Quote:
The club's options with Tatar are to keep him on the NHL roster or trade him. General manager Ken Holland said last week that Tatar, who has three goals in the preseason after an outstanding training camp, probably would make the final cut.

“I thought Tatar has been really good and I thought Gus got better here as it's gone on, which is important,'' Babcock said. “Their job is to put as much pressure on the coach and general manager as they possibly can to be here. That's all you can ask a kid to do and they're doing that.''
Oh I'm glad he'll "probably" make the final cut you bunch of idiots.

Quote:
Nyquist showed he is NHL-ready last season. If he were to get sent down, it wouldn't be because of his performance, it would be due to the team's inability to move another player. And the demotion probably would be temporary.
I'm pretty sure you can FIND A WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Filppula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 05:08 AM
Henkka

vCash: 528
Quote:
Nothing is impossible with this team, though. You have to admit that.

At the end of last season EVERYONE on this board said it was a virtual certainty that Nyquist would be starting on the team for the 13-14 season. But here we are.
Yeah, I was also 100% sure about Nyquist, when we had that false information here that Nyquist has also lost his waiver-eligibility. But since he is still free, they are going to use that option if necessary.

I'm not against that idea as long as Nyquist has place to play. It's not the end of the world like it looks to be many in this board. He isn't going get benched anywhere. He will play and develop. ~10 games at minors doesn't really matter a thing on his long-term development.

This reminds me of the case when Filppula got demoted, played 4 games down and Babcock was furious about it. Then Holland waived Brad Norton, Val was promoted again and he never looked back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsNow View Post
Tatar showed he was good enough last year and he was demoted.
Performing is obviously not the only thing in play here.
Yeah, waiver eligibility is THE THING. Last season Tatar was was demoted, because we could do it.

But it was injuries in NHL side affected a lot about that Griffins 1st line, who was called up and who not. If Helm and Bertuzzi would have been healthy, Andersson would never see games up. But they needed a center and a big guy. Andersson had these in same package, great. If there would have been different injuries, the story could be different. Nyquist and Tatar up, Andersson sees the whole season at Griffins. It just went that way.

This season we can't waive Tatar, so he's gonna play. He is not gonna sit on the bench, what people are debating here. "Washed up vets are gonna play instead of kids" -********.

I'm gonna give you guys a healthy scratch tracking at next season to give some statistical prove about this plan, how the vets will rotate and kids will play.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 06:45 AM
Chance on Chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
Yeah, I was also 100% sure about Nyquist, when we had that false information here that Nyquist has also lost his waiver-eligibility. But since he is still free, they are going to use that option if necessary.

I'm not against that idea as long as Nyquist has place to play. It's not the end of the world like it looks to be many in this board. He isn't going get benched anywhere. He will play and develop. ~10 games at minors doesn't really matter a thing on his long-term development.

This reminds me of the case when Filppula got demoted, played 4 games down and Babcock was furious about it. Then Holland waived Brad Norton, Val was promoted again and he never looked back.

Yeah, waiver eligibility is THE THING. Last season Tatar was was demoted, because we could do it.

But it was injuries in NHL side affected a lot about that Griffins 1st line, who was called up and who not. If Helm and Bertuzzi would have been healthy, Andersson would never see games up. But they needed a center and a big guy. Andersson had these in same package, great. If there would have been different injuries, the story could be different. Nyquist and Tatar up, Andersson sees the whole season at Griffins. It just went that way.

This season we can't waive Tatar, so he's gonna play. He is not gonna sit on the bench, what people are debating here. "Washed up vets are gonna play instead of kids" -********.

I'm gonna give you guys a healthy scratch tracking at next season to give some statistical prove about this plan, how the vets will rotate and kids will play.
I cant wait for this healthy scratch tracking. The whole season is pretty dependent on if helms healthy or not

Old
09-24-2013, 06:55 AM
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filppula View Post
What a freaking joke. Sorry Gus, you're clearly in our group of best forwards, but we're going to send you to GR again because we signed Cleary, and have Tootoo, Emmerton, Eaves and Miller up, and Betuzzi and Samulesson. JOKE.

Oh I'm glad he'll "probably" make the final cut you bunch of idiots.

I'm pretty sure you can FIND A WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sends a great message to young players at the draft, agents etc. They'll all be clamoring to come to Detroit now!

Vladdy84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 07:30 AM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Sends a great message to young players at the draft, agents etc. They'll all be clamoring to come to Detroit now!
is this something new? we've always done this.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 07:46 AM
probertrules24

Quote:
I think when these guys look at the roster and see 16 players on the roster that were drafted by the Wings helps.

probertrules24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 08:26 AM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
Draft picks don't have a choice so it doesn't matter if they are clamoring to come here or not. And free agents are old enough to where how we develop youth isn't an issue.

Again, I think people overstate the issue of our prospects getting upset with management.

ArGarBarGar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 08:28 AM
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArGarBarGar View Post
Draft picks don't have a choice so it doesn't matter if they are clamoring to come here or not. And free agents are old enough to where how we develop youth isn't an issue.

Again, I think people overstate the issue of our prospects getting upset with management.
Yeah, why would they care about money? Why would their agents either. Just playing for love of the game, right?

Vladdy84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 08:37 AM
Chance on Chance

Quote:
Yeah, why would they care about money? Why would their agents either. Just playing for love of the game, right?
especially if your Nyquist and your next deal will be done when your 26.

Old
09-24-2013, 08:38 AM
Heaton
#disapointment

Quote:
Who has it hurt so far?

Old
09-24-2013, 08:41 AM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
I never said any of that.

Old
09-24-2013, 08:52 AM
HTT3*

Quote:
I've read this argument a few times already and it still bewilders me. Wings never had a prospect refuse to report to the team or run off to the KHL because he felt mistreated, and even if one did, I'd question his character like I do with Hat Trick Dick Axelsson.

Most of Detroit's prospects are competitors and like a good challenge; they want to be better hockey players and will do what it takes to get there.

HTT3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 09:04 AM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
I've read this argument a few times already and it still bewilders me. Wings never had a prospect refuse to report to the team or run off to the KHL because he felt mistreated, and even if one did, I'd question his character like I do with Hat Trick Dick Axelsson.

Most of Detroit's prospects are competitors and like a good challenge; they want to be better hockey players and will do what it takes to get there.
I think most of them still appreciate the high standards, because the Wings wouldn't draft them if they didn't think they could make the cut. Plus, the Wings have a reputation for drafting and development. It's a pretty nice compliment, really.

Probably the best possible scenario for a young guy is to be drafted by the Wings and then traded somewhere else after a few years. High value AND you get to play.

Guru Meditation is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 09:18 AM
Chip39

Yeah I would assume a kid would be absolutely pumped about getting drafted by one if if not the best hockey teams of the last 20 some years. Its like getting drafted by the Yankees or patriots.

Chip39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 09:21 AM
Frk It
#FireHolland

Quote:
run off to the KHL because he felt mistreated.
Hudler says hi.

Old
09-24-2013, 09:30 AM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
Hudler says hi.
Because he felt mistreated? No he didn't.

Old
09-24-2013, 09:30 AM
Chance on Chance

We didnt have the same type of problems in previous years. We had 15 guys on the roster plus Nyquist and then went out and signed a 17th forward. Its one thing trying to break onto the 05-06 wings but where our 8th leading forward scorer was Yzerman with 34 points. 2011-2012 8th leading forwards Helm had 26 points, still good but not the same caliber. The league changes too fast to bring up 10-20 years ago

Old
09-24-2013, 09:36 AM
Heaton
#disapointment

Quote:
Hudler says hi.
He went to the KHL for the money, 5m tax free for 2 years. Then he realized it sucked so bad that he broke the contract and came back tot he same team that 'mistreated' him for half the money? Yeah, not buying it.

Old
09-24-2013, 09:42 AM
Henkka

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
He went to the KHL for the money, 5m tax free for 2 years. Then he realized it sucked so bad that he broke the contract and came back tot he same team that 'mistreated' him for half the money? Yeah, not buying it.
If you want relate that 5 million tax free offer, it was ~same amount of money that Lidström was earning from his team high 7.6 million salary after taxes.

It was a no-brainer offer to go get that jackpot deal and then come back. Everybody would have done that.

Thank god Slovan Bratislava is one of the poorest teams in KHL (who could try to acquire Tatar) and they should not have anywhere near that amount of money to throw for Tatar at next summer. Slovakian teams are also having taxes. I think Wings extension-offers will be competitive.

But wasn't it somethin like that Dynamo wanted to nullify that 2nd year of Hudler 2-year 10-million contract, because they had financial problems? So that's why Hudler came back one year earlier.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 10:00 AM
Frk It
#FireHolland

I don't think the situation was over JUST money. I seem to remember some grumblings from Hudler over ice time and being benched.

There may have been some things going on behind the scenes. I don't think he had the greatest relationship with the Wings while he was here.