HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-2014 Rangers pre-season discussion

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-23-2013, 11:26 AM
  #76
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod
 
Silence Of The Plams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 18,382
vCash: 476
Will be eager to see if miller has improved.

Silence Of The Plams is offline  
Old
09-23-2013, 11:39 AM
  #77
Off Sides
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,048
vCash: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blooded View Post

...The Rangers blocked the highest percentage of shot attempts in the league, hardly surprising...

So while I'm happy to see the strategy go as it destroyed our transition game...

Quote:
Bieksa says the Canucks will play “more or less… a zone coverage” in the defensive end now, as opposed to man-on-man pressure. “So it’s being patient and taking care of your responsibilities.”
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...m-and-old-one/

Off Sides is offline  
Old
09-23-2013, 11:41 AM
  #78
Vidic15
Registered User
 
Vidic15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: Romania
Posts: 1,103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Sides View Post
Yup. Be patient, collapse, and let that puck hit you.

Vidic15 is offline  
Old
09-23-2013, 11:44 AM
  #79
In Disgust
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 153
vCash: 500
How's Staal looked? I haven't been able to catch a game yet, but the highlights I've watched he's looked good. He was my favorite ranger, happy to see him on the ice again and hopefully like his self.

I remember a lot of people complaining here about our lack of physicality, but if Staal's back to himself wouldn't that be a huge boost? Especially in board play.


This hit still gets me going every time.

In Disgust is offline  
Old
09-23-2013, 12:21 PM
  #80
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,687
vCash: 500
McKenzie saying Edmonton looking for a tough guy still. Asham for Potter? Maybe Potter stays as the 8th D, righty shot?

Vitto79 is offline  
Old
09-23-2013, 12:30 PM
  #81
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,112
vCash: 500
Its often pick your poison when it comes to a defensive strategy. Quite frankly, Ill take my chances with Tori Krug and the other pointmen of the world vs. all-world forwards who, for the most part, the Rangers shut down when it comes to making even strength plays below the hash marks.

My major issue is how comfortable the staff became with bunching up down low in the defensive zone. It seemed like very little thought and practice went into what comes next when the team actually gets the puck.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
09-23-2013, 12:33 PM
  #82
cwede
Registered User
 
cwede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
McKenzie saying Edmonton looking for a tough guy still. Asham for Potter? Maybe Potter stays as the 8th D, righty shot?
EO claimed one-time Wolfpack beast Steve MacIntyre on waivers

cwede is online now  
Old
09-23-2013, 12:37 PM
  #83
Vidic15
Registered User
 
Vidic15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: Romania
Posts: 1,103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Its often pick your poison when it comes to a defensive strategy. Quite frankly, Ill take my chances with Tori Krug and the other pointmen of the world vs. all-world forwards who, for the most part, the Rangers shut down when it comes to making even strength plays below the hash marks.

My major issue is how comfortable the staff became with bunching up down low in the defensive zone. It seemed like very little thought and practice went into what comes next when the team actually gets the puck.
We're still too passive. We're not standing up the opposing team at the blueline. Defense starts in the neutral zone. Force the opposing team to dump the puck instead of allowing them to skate it in.

Vidic15 is offline  
Old
09-23-2013, 12:39 PM
  #84
Blue Blooded
Registered User
 
Blue Blooded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Its often pick your poison when it comes to a defensive strategy. Quite frankly, Ill take my chances with Tori Krug and the other pointmen of the world vs. all-world forwards who, for the most part, the Rangers shut down when it comes to making even strength plays below the hash marks.

My major issue is how comfortable the staff became with bunching up down low in the defensive zone. It seemed like very little thought and practice went into what comes next when the team actually gets the puck.
Exactly.

I'm on board with giving up chances from the point in order to shut down the more dangerous ones. But I hated how Torts' strategy had no transition game whatsoever. The shot blocking was good in isolation, but it came at the expense of basically everything else.

Blue Blooded is offline  
Old
09-23-2013, 01:48 PM
  #85
Off Sides
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,048
vCash: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Its often pick your poison when it comes to a defensive strategy. Quite frankly, Ill take my chances with Tori Krug and the other pointmen of the world vs. all-world forwards who, for the most part, the Rangers shut down when it comes to making even strength plays below the hash marks.

My major issue is how comfortable the staff became with bunching up down low in the defensive zone. It seemed like very little thought and practice went into what comes next when the team actually gets the puck.
Fair enough, yet when the team is trapped in their own zone playing that style, they are not ever going to have the energy to go up ice. They have to change lines or at least the defense, so it's what we saw, chip/stretch/tip/dump change.

They need some sort of hybrid system, yes collapse and block shots need be, dump the puck if they are tired, but that can not be their only plan. It just allows for the other team to dictate the pace until they find a way to get their version of Krug open, especially if that team also has a Boychuk and Chara type also blasting away.

Off Sides is offline  
Old
09-23-2013, 01:55 PM
  #86
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidic15 View Post
We're still too passive. We're not standing up the opposing team at the blueline. Defense starts in the neutral zone. Force the opposing team to dump the puck instead of allowing them to skate it in.
I know I know.

Then again, I'd imagine you'd be one of the first people to complain if/when our defensemen start getting beat on the rush.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
09-23-2013, 02:02 PM
  #87
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Sides View Post
Fair enough, yet when the team is trapped in their own zone playing that style, they are not ever going to have the energy to go up ice. They have to change lines or at least the defense, so it's what we saw, chip/stretch/tip/dump change.

They need some sort of hybrid system, yes collapse and block shots need be, dump the puck if they are tired, but that can not be their only plan. It just allows for the other team to dictate the pace until they find a way to get their version of Krug open, especially if that team also has a Boychuk and Chara type also blasting away.
Sure. Easier said than done though.

I think Tortorella was so married to the idea that his players weren't offensively skilled that his collapsing defensive game became more and more of the gameplan over the years.
The truth is somewhere in the middle, but I think Tortorella's perception of the roster trumped Sather's when it comes to reality.


Last edited by Bleed Ranger Blue: 09-23-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
09-23-2013, 02:26 PM
  #88
GAGLine
Registered User
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,347
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Sure. Easier said than done though.

I think Tortorella was so married to the idea that his players weren't offensively skilled that his collapsing defensive game became more and more of the gameplan over the years.
ut I think Tortorell
The truth is someone in the middle, but I think Tortorella's perception of the roster trumped Sather's when it comes to reality.
Torts had one of the best goaltenders in the world. He had a solid top 4 even with Staal out of the lineup. If our offensive skill was lacking, wouldn't it make more sense to implement a system that helps us offensively? Why play to enhance our strength at the expense of our weakness? How much offense are we going to generate when we always have to go 200 feet?

GAGLine is online now  
Old
09-23-2013, 02:32 PM
  #89
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Torts had one of the best goaltenders in the world. He had a solid top 4 even with Staal out of the lineup. If our offensive skill was lacking, wouldn't it make more sense to implement a system that helps us offensively? Why play to enhance our strength at the expense of our weakness? How much offense are we going to generate when we always have to go 200 feet?
Playing to your strengths is how you win games. That being said, a collapsing system didn't play to our strengths either. Our defensive groups skates well and moves the puck well within the defensive zone. We have the best goalie in the world. A passive defensive strategy doesn't play to the strengths of THOSE players and the abilities of our forwards doesn't even come into the conversation yet.

Tawnos is online now  
Old
09-23-2013, 07:46 PM
  #90
bernmeister
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 8,777
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
Thanks!

I wish I could tell you but I haven't had the chance to watch him. Working 5 to 11 sucks.
Take some comfort in that Thomas does have real talent. Prefer Kristo because of the height. But both have legit ability. So I glean.

bernmeister is offline  
Old
09-23-2013, 09:07 PM
  #91
dethomas07
Registered User
 
dethomas07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,231
vCash: 500
i think miller is going under the radar.. i think he has the ability to make the team..for being 19 last season he showed a lot of promise.. deff wouldn't count him out yet.. brings the same as kristo and fast.. but way more physical.. which would be more ideal on 3rd line

dethomas07 is online now  
Old
09-24-2013, 02:18 AM
  #92
ChoseLa
Registered User
 
ChoseLa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Martinique
Posts: 4,477
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
He was terrific at the Traverse City prospects tournament. He has been good in camp. Not great, but solid. I'd say at this point he's likely ticketed to start in Hartford, though a couple good games could change that.

How has Thomas looked?
Thomas hasn't looked good or bad, he has a lot of speed and vision but really every time he touched the puck nothing was happening. He looks like he has all the tools but he's not ready yet. He's going to start the season in Hamilton as he has Bournival ahead of him in the depth chart and arguably Leblanc and Holland who looked better than him in pre-season.

ChoseLa is online now  
Old
09-24-2013, 07:24 AM
  #93
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,903
vCash: 500
Quote:
#NYR roster for Edmonton: Pouliot-Brass-Zuke; kreider-Miller-Asham; Hrivik-Lindberg-Kristo; Haley-Moore-Dorsett; McD-Girardi; Staal-Allen...
Quote:
Roster for Edmonton (cont.) on D: Johnson-Hughes; In goal, Biron, Talbot
https://twitter.com/stevezipay

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
09-24-2013, 08:07 AM
  #94
UAGoalieGuy
Registered User
 
UAGoalieGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,711
vCash: 500
Would have liked to have seen either Kristo or Fast on the wing with Kreider and Miller. Asham's going to drag that line down.

UAGoalieGuy is offline  
Old
09-24-2013, 08:34 AM
  #95
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,687
vCash: 500
Well a lot can change but thoughts:

Defense: Aaron Johnson and Tommy Hughes, Marc Staal and Conor Allen, Ryan McDonagh and Dan Girardi.

Johnson being paired with a AHLer. Is that bad for him? At the same time so is Staal so may mean nothing. I would think Johnson gets the 8th D spot please not Bickel

Forward:
-Marek Hrivik, Oscar Lindberg, Danny Kristo. ( the line I want to watch the most )
-Micheal Haley, Dominic Moore, Derek Dorsett. (Haley have a inside track on 4th line?
-Chris Kreider, JT Miller, Arron Asham. ( Kredier has to do something )
Benoit Pouliot, Derick Brassard, Mats Zuccarello-Current 2nd line, need Step already

Do they make cuts after this game or play all 4 this week then do it?

Vitto79 is offline  
Old
09-24-2013, 08:47 AM
  #96
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,837
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
Thomas hasn't looked good or bad, he has a lot of speed and vision but really every time he touched the puck nothing was happening. He looks like he has all the tools but he's not ready yet. He's going to start the season in Hamilton as he has Bournival ahead of him in the depth chart and arguably Leblanc and Holland who looked better than him in pre-season.
I think you will find that he is a good sniper in his own right and that his hustle and play away from the puck is supriseingly good, but then that he doesn't have a hole lot more on top of that. Considering that he is really small, there is a great risk that the scale will tip over more in favor of someone else.

The kid is still young and its too early to rule him out for sure, but the big challenge for him is to become better at playing a puck possession game.

Ola is offline  
Old
09-24-2013, 08:49 AM
  #97
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 21,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Like that Kreider is paired with someone different than Richards and Nash here. Miller is a guy who likes to have the puck and make plays and is a tenacious player. I think that suits a guy like Kreider much better, helps keep his energy up.

Levitate is offline  
Old
09-24-2013, 08:59 AM
  #98
Dagoon44
Registered User
 
Dagoon44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,990
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Kreider
Anyone else get the feeling he is playing himself off the team so far. He hasn't looked comfortable at all

Dagoon44 is offline  
Old
09-24-2013, 09:04 AM
  #99
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 21,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Kreider
Anyone else get the feeling he is playing himself off the team so far. He hasn't looked comfortable at all
Yes, I think he's in danger of getting bumped.

I also think (and may be making excuses) that the line he's been on has been ****** for him to try to make an impact on. Nash isn't going full speed or trying his hardest and who knows with Richards. They just don't look interested or fully engaged and Kreider isn't good enough to be a catalyst on that line by himself. Getting him some time away from that line is probably for the best.

a year and a half ago he joined the team and was told "just play and have fun" and he looked like a solid and promising top six forward with some things to work on (namely defense). After a year of coaching from Tortorella and the Hartford coaches, he looks tentative and un-engaged. Again, maybe making excuses, but the previous coaching staff really does not seem to have brought out the best in him or found a way to use his best attributes. You hardly ever see his speed because of the terrible breakout and transition game the Rangers have

Levitate is offline  
Old
09-24-2013, 09:04 AM
  #100
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,989
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Like that Kreider is paired with someone different than Richards and Nash here. Miller is a guy who likes to have the puck and make plays and is a tenacious player. I think that suits a guy like Kreider much better, helps keep his energy up.
Agreed. Richards is too slow in everything he does. He can't control the puck because he can barely move.

NYR Viper is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:58 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.