HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

O'Byrne/Bournival trade revisited

Old
09-22-2013, 10:51 PM
Mrb1p

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
The investment/trade is definitely paying off!! (Bournival for O'Byrne).
Great trade...I was 50-50 at first with the trade (but it quickly grew on me!).

UPside: solid solid 3rd liner...reliable/playoff warrior.
DOWNside:consistent, hard-working 3rd liner.

p.s.:
COMPARISONS (for those who like comparisons!):
Just curious to know who some of you would compare Bournival's style to?
Dupuis ?

Ability to pull plays at high speed, great 2-way head, nice shot, great skater. Bournival might be tougher, since Dupe is kind of scared of anything that touches the ice.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 11:09 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Yes cammy is still doing what he does, stand around and let everyone else do the work. What a superstar, I wonder how well he will do without Iginla to leech off of.

Bourque was one of our best players last year on our top line. He was clearly suffering from injuries but why talk about that when your bias is so brutally clear.

"Ramo/Fucale" is a wash? Ya ok, we get a rising talent in Fucale for Ramo who couldn't even make it on several terrible nhl teams.

If you think Bourques addition is over-rated you aren't watching the games, put down the stats page and turn on your tv.
Bourque is ALWAYS suffering from injuries. Is there any doubt he'll get injured again this season? I guess being injury prone makes up for his inconsistent and mostly poor play in his tenure with the Habs. I see him as an inconsistent 3rd liner while others regard him as a 1st liner/even one of our best players last year on the top line. Perhaps I'm getting different footage of his play that backs up his production from online streaming.

Fucale is who Timmins drafted. Gauthier got the 36th though. It's a wash because for all we know Ramo could have a long NHL career and be worth more than a high 2nd. It's difficult to really say as not many expected Ramo to come overseas and be given the starting role so soon/if ever.

Bias is an interesting word.
noun
prejudice in favor of or against one thing, person, or group compared with another, usually in a way considered to be unfair.

verb
cause to feel or show inclination or prejudice for or against someone or something.

In the post you quoted I gave credit to Gauthier for 2 things while criticizing him in other aspects. I have also criticized Bergevin/Gainey while praising the stuff I liked. Honest question, have you ever criticized anything Gauthier has done or given credit to Bergevin/Gainey? I assume you can since otherwise you would fit in as textbook bias.

Last edited by Watsatheo: 09-22-2013 at 11:18 PM.
Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 11:19 PM
Valois

The thread title absolute terrified me until I remembered that that was the original trade and this was an old thread.

EDIT - I see I wasn't alone!

Valois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 11:58 PM
LLoyd Christmas I

I thought it was fairly common knowledge that O'Byrne signed with a KHL team over the summer.

LLoyd Christmas I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 12:11 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Dupuis ?

Ability to pull plays at high speed, great 2-way head, nice shot, great skater. Bournival might be tougher, since Dupe is kind of scared of anything that touches the ice.
I'll take it! (more physical Dupuis). We'll all have a chance to see more and more of Bournival...will come up with my own comparison

NEW EDIT:
UPside...Bournival in a few years may even have 2nd line upside, but I'd bet my money on ''very solid 3rd line winger/center''.
(imo, he's more suited for 3rd line two-way duties VS 4th line goon/energy line...of course you can start Bournival on the 4th line and bring him up when a regular isn't playing well during a game).

p.s.: Bournival also has a perfect number(s) jersey...49!! (Beliveau's 4 and M.Richard's 9 combined!).

Mr. Hab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 01:05 AM
Teufelsdreck

O'Byrne should rank from #6 to#10 on NHL teams, depending on their depth in Dmen. Let's hope he makes it in the KHL. I'd say Bournival wouldn't have to leave North America to find steady employment. Chalk one up for Gauthier.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 01:20 AM
Draft

Excited for Bournival and Leblanc in our middle six in the next couple of years. These are the type of guys you hate to play against.

Decent offensively, gritty, intelligent, good character, excellent defensive awareness and ability, and homegrown to boot!

Draft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 01:46 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Bourque was one of our best players last year on our top line.
Yeeeah... not even close. Unless you view last year through a hippie utopian lense, where every unique little snowflake was special and "one of the best". You're right that he did have to play with Plekanec, though... unfortunately. And it's also true that he wasn't nearly as bad as he was for the first 30-40 games after the trade.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 03:57 AM
bsl

Quote:
Yes cammy is still doing what he does, stand around and let everyone else do the work. What a superstar, I wonder how well he will do without Iginla to leech off of.

Bourque was one of our best players last year on our top line. He was clearly suffering from injuries but why talk about that when your bias is so brutally clear.

"Ramo/Fucale" is a wash? Ya ok, we get a rising talent in Fucale for Ramo who couldn't even make it on several terrible nhl teams.

If you think Bourques addition is over-rated you aren't watching the games, put down the stats page and turn on your tv.
Cammy has one of the best scoring performances in history in playoffs for the Montreal Canadiens. Get some balance dude. He was ****ing phenomenal in that run. Now you

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 08:58 AM
Ginu

Quote:

Cammalleri put in some of the best performances we've seen in the last 20 years in the playoffs. Show some respect.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 09:03 AM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Cammalleri put in some of the best performances we've seen in the last 20 years in the playoffs. Show some respect.
Two to three weeks of greatness cannot overshadow a career's worth of whining and soft play.

We're the Habs, we shouldn't settle for mediocrity. Show some respect.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 09:03 AM
Rickkins

Haha... got me.

Rickkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 09:22 AM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Two to three weeks of greatness cannot overshadow a career's worth of whining and soft play.

Mediocrity? Name me playoff performances that were better. If you consider that mediocrity you deserve a Leafs jersey. Joker

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 10:26 AM
Burke the Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagistitsyn View Post
Getting rid of AK was dumb as hell IMO. Said he wanted to stay and would take a discount to do so. Good for 20 goals and a physical game, defensive game improved a lot under JM.
I thought all the Kostitsyn fanboys where gone by now... Wow here we go praising a guy who got kicked off his last NHL team and couldn't get another contract in America. People really need to stop getting so emotionally attached to mediocre players.

Burke the Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 10:28 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke the Legend View Post
I thought all the Kostitsyn fanboys where gone by now... Wow here we go praising a guy who got kicked off his last NHL team and couldn't get another contract in America. People really need to stop getting so emotionally attached to mediocre players.
I think it's more like he didn't like the money that was offered. If you ignore the last name, Bourque is essentially the less offensive, better defensive, more injury prone version of Kostitsyn.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 10:29 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
The guy is good enough and cheap enough, I doubt he got kicked out of the NHL. Probably didn't want to play in a new city.

Old
09-24-2013, 10:34 AM
HabsSlappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post

I am with WhiskeySeven.
Cammalleri had a good career, first season with Montreal and an amazing playoff performance, but after his injury he was nothing but a scared little coward who was afraid to go in the corners. He avoided physical contact at all costs, to the point that I am convinced he would intentionally miss passes if he thought that he might have to take a hit while he had the puck.

He would pretend to chase the puck into the corners only to do a cute little jump from the puck side of the defender to make sure that he wasn't the first one to the puck.

On top of all that he gave the impression that he was whining that he wasn't given the opportunity to succeed when his failures were due to his soft play.

Yes he had a great playoff run and I cheered for him hard during that time, but he quickly went down hill after his leg injury and subsequent fear of physical confrontation.

HabsSlappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 10:49 AM
Burke the Legend

Quote:
The guy is good enough and cheap enough, I doubt he got kicked out of the NHL. Probably didn't want to play in a new city.
He got kicked off of Nashville

Old
09-24-2013, 11:24 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Sure, but this doesn't mean no team wanted it. Nashville is a strict uptight system, he couldn't fit there, but he's still a player capable of 20 goals + good physicality.

Old
09-24-2013, 11:36 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
You aren't "kicked off" if you fulfill your contract and simply don't get offered a new one... Gomez was "kicked off" the Habs, Koivu wasn't, for example. Kaberle was "kicked off", Hamrlik wasn't, etc.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 12:44 PM
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
Good move by Gauthier it seems.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 02:02 PM
Burke the Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
You aren't "kicked off" if you fulfill your contract and simply don't get offered a new one... Gomez was "kicked off" the Habs, Koivu wasn't, for example. Kaberle was "kicked off", Hamrlik wasn't, etc.
He was suspended by team for drinking until dawn on a playoff game day! I don't know how much more "kicked off" you can be than that???

Old
09-24-2013, 02:23 PM
Dagistitsyn

Quote:
He was suspended by team for drinking until dawn on a playoff game day! I don't know how much more "kicked off" you can be than that???
and he was their best player that game and got the only goal for them if I remember correctly. That story got blown way out of proportion and was handled poorly.

Dagistitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 02:28 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Until dawn? Link?

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 02:39 PM
domdo345

Quote:
Dupuis ?

Good one. Please watch Dupuis one game and you'll know you just said baseless comments. I know it's not the thread for this but cmon. Dupuis hits everything in sight and is a real force on the forecheck. If Bournival ever gets as tough as Dupuis, he'll be praised for it.

domdo345 is offline   Reply With Quote