HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Cody Franson to Tampa

Old
09-23-2013, 10:36 PM
Steve Yzerman
A Great Season

vCash: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiinleaf View Post
a B prospect for an NHL top 4 D thats young emerging 6'5" physical and good...

You realize a B prospect may never ever play in the NHL????

I love how prospects out rate players..

How about Stamkos for Biggs and a 2nd?
How original.

Steve Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 11:42 PM
EscapeGoat
We The North

vCash: 500
Nah. Franson will cave eventually plus the Leafs will need his right-handed shot in the lineup.

EscapeGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 11:53 PM
MuchoMacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Wow, responding to a slight misevaluation of trade value with a bust+2nd for Stamkos proposal, how original.
I don't mean Biggs + 2nd for Stamkos is a meaningful contribution to this thread -- even if it was sarcasm -- but Biggs isn't a bust?

MuchoMacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 12:03 AM
Canada4Gold

Quote:
Wow, responding to a slight misevaluation of trade value with a bust+2nd for Stamkos proposal, how original.
I didn't see any trade offer in the post you quoted that included a "bust"

Canada4Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 01:57 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Just start with a 2nd and $3.1m and see how you go.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 06:13 AM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pronounced Anders View Post
So you'd move our only pro-ready center prospect, but not one of our dozen or so pro-ready wing prospects?
Odd I know but yes. Panik has a rare skill set and is going to eventually be an impact player in the NHL. Johnson while great isn't really suited for 3rd line center duties and definitely not 4th line center duties. And while I know Flip could move to wing, he is for all intents and purposes our 2nd line center for the foreseeable future and obviously Stamkos as number 1. So where does Johnson fit? A forced number 3 guy?

Not to mention the size factor between Johnson and Panik.

IdealisticSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 06:39 AM
dannyboy8920
I cheer for Losers

Or maybe they can return us the favour after taking Kolzig and the other dead space....just a thought.

dannyboy8920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 07:20 AM
Bolt32

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
Odd I know but yes. Panik has a rare skill set and is going to eventually be an impact player in the NHL. Johnson while great isn't really suited for 3rd line center duties and definitely not 4th line center duties. And while I know Flip could move to wing, he is for all intents and purposes our 2nd line center for the foreseeable future and obviously Stamkos as number 1. So where does Johnson fit? A forced number 3 guy?

Not to mention the size factor between Johnson and Panik.
If he was 6'1 and his skill set was exactly the same...we would be crapping our selves in joy that hes our third line center. How isn't he suited for third line duties?

Bolt32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 07:24 AM
Jacko95

Quote:

How is Panik a B level prospect? He has already NHL games under his belt and should be a top6 powerforward for a long time.
He would be your 3rd best prospect easily. Maybe even 2nd best if you consider that Gauthier has not proven anything in the pros yet (which he of course can't do anything for)

Jacko95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 07:49 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy8920 View Post
Or maybe they can return us the favour after taking Kolzig and the other dead space....just a thought.
It wasn't much of a favour. The Leafs got a 4th for it.

Vipers31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 08:18 AM
HoseEmDown

Quote:

Just like Jacko said Panik isn't a B prospect and has played NHL games. Franson was a throw in a few years ago in a trade and was just about to bust till last season. He still needs to prove he's a legit top 4 D, played a lot of sheltered minutes last year. Is he more valuable then Panik right now yes but if you can't sign him then it lowers his value.

HoseEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 08:26 AM
daveleaf

I get a kick out of guys that said he was a bust a couple of season ago. What a joke! There ever inspiring coach back then with his wonderful back end philosophy is still looking for work and wore his welcome out of every town he was in yet the player was a bust.

Anyway. Franson is an NHL top 4 d-man, they don't grow on trees. He will stay in Toronto just where he needs to be.

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 08:30 AM
BigDaddyLurch
Deleted Posts Leader

Toronto should be looking to deal Franson ASAP; if he's offersheeted @ 3.2 mill or so right now, the Leafs will have a hard time matching and will only get a 2nd if they can't...

BigDaddyLurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 08:32 AM
daveleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyLurch View Post
Toronto should be looking to deal Franson ASAP; if he's offersheeted @ 3.2 mill or so right now, the Leafs will have a hard time matching and will only get a 2nd if they can't...
Why would they do that? There are guys that can go to the minors on two way deals, they can carry a shorter squad, there are still trades to be made. At 3.2 the Leafs would match and Franson would never sign a long term deal at 3.2mil, he is worth more than that a year or two from now.

Old
09-24-2013, 08:36 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

Franson to Tampa for a 2014 2nd and a mid level prospect.

09-24-2013, 08:39 AM
daveleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Franson to Tampa for a 2014 2nd and a mid level prospect.
Great deal! Send a young NHL capable dman for a 2nd round pic that may or may not turn into something. Is that how Mr. Murray developed his team right now? There is a time and place for that but this isn't it.

Old
09-24-2013, 08:41 AM
BigDaddyLurch
Deleted Posts Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveleaf View Post
Why would they do that? There are guys that can go to the minors on two way deals, they can carry a shorter squad, there are still trades to be made. At 3.2 the Leafs would match and Franson would never sign a long term deal at 3.2mil, he is worth more than that a year or two from now.
If they send Colborne, Smith, & Holzer down, start with 12 forward, 6 Dmen, and 2 goalies (20 man roster), they still only have $2,933,333 in Cap space...sending Liles down instead of Holzer frees up a bit more, but it's still not enough to match a $3.2 mill offer...they're in a bad way here, amigo.

Old
09-24-2013, 08:44 AM
daveleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyLurch View Post
If they send Colborne, Smith, & Holzer down, start with 12 forward, 6 Dmen, and 2 goalies (20 man roster), they still only have $2,933,333 in Cap space...sending Liles down instead of Holzer frees up a bit more, but it's still not enough to match a $3.2 mill offer...they're in a bad way here, amigo.
They have time to sort it out-don't get all stressed out.

Old
09-24-2013, 08:50 AM
BigDaddyLurch
Deleted Posts Leader

Quote:
Not stressed at all, just think it might be in their best interests right now to get as much for Franson as they can, cuz they may not be able to soon...cautious, let's say

Old
09-24-2013, 10:03 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
The blind trust you put in a man that hasn't done anything right since he became your GM and a front office that makes bad decision after bad decision is astounding.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 11:18 AM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
I personally feel like the Leafs are best continuing to wait out Franson.

It will give them a chance to get Rielly his 9 games (minimum), Liles will have a chance to win back his top PP spot (he was on a 50 point pace prior to that concussion when he was on the top unit with Phaneuf so I wouldn't bet against him getting his job back from Franson) and others like Holzer/Brennan will get a chance to show their stuff instead of being exposed to waivers.

Every team around the league is still optimistic their prospects can make the jump. Reality will set in for a lot of teams that their players aren't ready or might never be 5-10 games into the season and calls to Nonis about Franson will increase. For the most part injuries have also not set in. Every year Dmen are the number desired assets once the season gets going.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 11:38 AM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
I personally feel like the Leafs are best continuing to wait out Franson.

It will give them a chance to get Rielly his 9 games (minimum), Liles will have a chance to win back his top PP spot (he was on a 50 point pace prior to that concussion when he was on the top unit with Phaneuf so I wouldn't bet against him getting his job back from Franson) and others like Holzer/Brennan will get a chance to show their stuff instead of being exposed to waivers.

Every team around the league is still optimistic their prospects can make the jump. Reality will set in for a lot of teams that their players aren't ready or might never be 5-10 games into the season and calls to Nonis about Franson will increase. For the most part injuries have also not set in. Every year Dmen are the number desired assets once the season gets going.
It's true. But with Gunnarson in better form, Ranger looking extremely solid and Brennan looking good so far, not to mention Liles' offensive ability, the extra 10-15 pts Franson provides are moot.

FWIW, Franson was 3rd last on the team in Relative Corsi Qualcomp - to say he logged much easier minutes than most of the rest of the team is fair. And yes, I'm a leaf fan. I really like Franson's game and him as a player, and love the physical side he showed towards the end of last season, but he's not going to break the team if he's lost.

dubplatepressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 12:12 PM
daveleaf

Quote:
The blind trust you put in a man that hasn't done anything right since he became your GM and a front office that makes bad decision after bad decision is astounding.
I feel he has done pretty well but I am sure in SanDiego you have a better view of the situation lol

Old
09-24-2013, 01:29 PM
NaiveLeafsFan

Quote:
Do you even know what you're talking about? Stick to your own team.

NaiveLeafsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 01:45 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplatepressure View Post
It's true. But with Gunnarson in better form, Ranger looking extremely solid and Brennan looking good so far, not to mention Liles' offensive ability, the extra 10-15 pts Franson provides are moot.

FWIW, Franson was 3rd last on the team in Relative Corsi Qualcomp - to say he logged much easier minutes than most of the rest of the team is fair. And yes, I'm a leaf fan. I really like Franson's game and him as a player, and love the physical side he showed towards the end of last season, but he's not going to break the team if he's lost.
I completely agree.

Franson on a D group that lacked depth wasn't trusted by Carlyle defensively as evidenced by his Corsi rating. Now Gardiner who barely played last season is healthy, Liles is that much further removed from his concussion and can certainly fill the top PP role vacant by Franson, Ranger has been added and Rielly is that much closer to being NHL ready and might make the team this year (next year at the latest).

We've also a slew of decent prospects like MacWilliams, Finn, Percy that extra bit closer to being ready that could are on dirt cheap contracts.

Nonis tried to sign Rob Scuderi this off-season and that should tell everybody that Nonis is looking for a tough physical 2nd pairing quality defensive Dman with his cap space more than a guy who will see his PP numbers plummet in Franson cause of guys like Gardiner, Rielly eventually taking his top unit spot.

Offence from our D group is the least of this teams worries with or without Franson. Getting the 6th worst 5 on 5 GA from last year down is a much bigger concern.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote