HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Is Cam Ward off his game or is it team defense?

Old
11-23-2006, 09:39 AM
FlamesFan80

vCash: 500
Is Cam Ward off his game or is it team defense?

Hey all,

A Flames fan stopping by here... I like to watch a lot of teams and players, including Carolina and Mr. Cam Ward. When I saw his first few games of the season last year I thought for sure he was destined for great success - he was kicking pucks out non-stop. And then he fizzled during the regular season…

I thought it was because he was just young…

But then he came back to form in the post-season… he played very hot – enough to win the Stanley Cup hot.

Now this season he seems to be back to being just an average (if that) goaltender. I find he is letting in a lot of goals a game…

Is it Cam Ward or is it the team defense? Will he turn it around?

I think he will have to if this team wants to rival the Sabres and Ryan Miller again.

FlamesFan80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2006, 10:39 AM
CioCio

One of the things we talk about here is how numbers do injustice to Cam Ward. As of last night, he was tied for 2nd in the league in wins. If you watch him make some of the saves he does night after night, I don't think we'd have this topic.

EDIT: That aside, his past two games certainly haven't been the best I've ever seen him.

Last edited by CioCio: 11-23-2006 at 10:50 AM.
CioCio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2006, 11:10 AM
bleedgreen

i find he is a reflection of the team. when they are busting their butt for him, he seems to make bigger saves. when they dont show up, he becomes a mere mortal. i think they are counting on him too much too soon, and its based off of a month and a half of good play. I think he can be awesome, but im still not convinced he is ready to be the guy every night.

to answer your question, i think its team defense.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2006, 03:34 PM
Citizen Cane
Honoring AAC/11th AF

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
i find he is a reflection of the team. when they are busting their butt for him, he seems to make bigger saves. when they dont show up, he becomes a mere mortal. i think they are counting on him too much too soon, and its based off of a month and a half of good play. I think he can be awesome, but im still not convinced he is ready to be the guy every night.

to answer your question, i think its team defense.
Ditto

Citizen Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2006, 07:46 PM
DeputyDan

Perhaps - team no-defense

DeputyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2006, 12:50 AM
Habsy

This is not the same team as the cup winner, people seem to forget that.

Habsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2006, 01:10 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsy View Post
This is not the same team as the cup winner, people seem to forget that.
When healthy, it's probably better actually. The defense stayed the same minus Ward and insert his clone Gleason. Babchuk has matured. Kaberle has missed a great deal of time, and that has hurt. Once this team gets healthy, it's a better team all around than the team that won the cup last year minus the deadline aquisitions.

Once Stillman and Kaberle return, people are going to be surprised at how important they were to the success of this team.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 06:24 PM
caniacgirl12

Send a message via AIM to caniacgirl12 Send a message via MSN to caniacgirl12
The Ottawa announcers just pointed out something I hadn't realized....Canes D has not scored a goal since Oct. 25th, which is 15 games.

11-28-2006, 08:42 PM
DeathFromAbove

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniacgirl12 View Post
The Ottawa announcers just pointed out something I hadn't realized....Canes D has not scored a goal since Oct. 25th, which is 15 games.
We are missing our only defenseman who is competent at offense.

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 03:19 PM
kurt
the last emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CioCio View Post
One of the things we talk about here is how numbers do injustice to Cam Ward. As of last night, he was tied for 2nd in the league in wins. If you watch him make some of the saves he does night after night, I don't think we'd have this topic.
Sounds a lot like the argument made for Dan Cloutier being "better than his numbers showed" when he was in Vancouver. But he has wins!

A team could just as easily be winning in spite of a cold goaltender. Personally, I haven't been overly disappointed with Ward's play, though my level of expectation is likely lower than most. I was confused by his Conn Smythe award, which I feel has led many people to have unrealistic expectations of his performance.

kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 04:43 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
Sounds a lot like the argument made for Dan Cloutier being "better than his numbers showed" when he was in Vancouver. But he has wins!
With the exception being that Dan Cloutier wasn't the youngest starter in the league on a defending Stanley Cup champion. Scruitiny abounds, yet not many have given a great deal of appreciation to the style and quality of goaltending that has allowed Ward to win as many games as he has. I wouldn't expect a team that doesn't see a lot of Carolina to know how big of an impact that goaltending has on this team, but due to the offensive style and counter attack they play, Cam Ward probably faces as many quality chances as anybody else in the league.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote