*OFFICIAL* Mississauga Steelheads 2013-14 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-23-2013, 04:19 PM
ProspectHunter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelheads101 View Post
Sorry, I disagree with the Day comment. There were many times in the game Friday where he should have gone D to D and didn't, then got caught ending up turning the puck over. Don't get me wrong, the kid is definitely good, but needs refinement. He's not a forward and needs to learn when and when not to carry the puck and/or jump into the play. His offensive game is good, but needs work on the boards, corners and defensive game. Very fluid skater, but maybe just me, it seemed to be slow getting back and in position.

On another note, did anyone else notice that Boyd didn't play his Captain in the final minute of the game on Friday when they pulled the goalie? What's up with that? Isn't your Captain suppose to be the one who leads in those situations?
Agreed, Day like most of the D need to move the puck more quickly. They are reversing too often and carrying up the ice too far, both are stalling the forwards and killing the attacking momentum. That's pretty obvious to those watching and I'm sure they are working on that in practice. Agreed Day needs to show more urgency on the back check when he turns the puck over, but for a rookie he has a lot going on and it will all come with time.

Old
09-23-2013, 04:47 PM
superspitfan99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtowatch View Post
The Captain in this case is a grinder and a hard worker and not a good offensive player. If Boyd chose his best offensive player as his Captain we all know who it would be, he's the guy who pulled the game out on Thursday night and got stoned with the potential game tying goal Friday. Your best player is not always your Captain.
I would agree with you in principle that your Captain is not always your best player, but the decision to put Burnside on instead of Foy IMO was not a good strategic play. I'm just not that impressed with him and would like to see what he can do when he doesn't have 2 top guys always to play with. Can he hold his own?

Old
09-23-2013, 06:33 PM
Torts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelheads101 View Post
I would agree with you in principle that your Captain is not always your best player, but the decision to put Burnside on instead of Foy IMO was not a good strategic play. I'm just not that impressed with him and would like to see what he can do when he doesn't have 2 top guys always to play with. Can he hold his own?
I'm sorry but in a situation in which we need a goal. Foy will not be on the ice. Not the player he is. Smosky, Cianfrone and Burnside are the 1st line and the line with the most talent. That line needed to be out there and was. Almost scored. Hope just robbed Smosky on that attempt. Would have been a tie game if it wasn't for some luck and timely saves.

It is also just speculation but now with Walsh potentially coming and Cianfrone here now. Think there is any way Joseph Berton can change his mind. On elite prospects it does not seem like he has committed anywhere yet. Could he become an impact play in the O?

Last edited by Torts: 09-23-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old
09-23-2013, 09:59 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
The Captain in this case is a grinder and a hard worker and not a good offensive player. If Boyd chose his best offensive player as his Captain we all know who it would be, he's the guy who pulled the game out on Thursday night and got stoned with the potential game tying goal Friday. Your best player is not always your Captain.
He could have picked Smoskovitz, but he knows that he will be gone at the trade deadline. Foy, will almost undeniably be there all year.

Old
09-24-2013, 10:19 AM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
He could have picked Smoskovitz, but he knows that he will be gone at the trade deadline. Foy, will almost undeniably be there all year.
I think you may be right.

Old
09-24-2013, 02:47 PM
ProspectHunter

What happened to all the talk that Walsh was going to sign? Was that just a bad rumor or are things just complicated?

Old
09-24-2013, 03:56 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectHunter View Post
What happened to all the talk that Walsh was going to sign? Was that just a bad rumor or are things just complicated?
I'm under the assumption the contract process is completed or almost completed. The St. Mikes Buzzers have stated that he has left their team to pursue a deal with the Steelheads. He should be suiting up for one if not both of their weekend home games.

Old
09-24-2013, 04:22 PM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
I'm under the assumption the contract process is completed or almost completed. The St. Mikes Buzzers have stated that he has left their team to pursue a deal with the Steelheads. He should be suiting up for one if not both of their weekend home games.
He did not suit up the other night in the Buzzer's loss which confirms he has left them.

Old
09-24-2013, 08:02 PM
superspitfan99

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
Can't disagree there.

Old
09-25-2013, 11:24 AM
ProspectHunter

What is the story with Artem Rasulov - did he stay in Russia? Where is he playing, KHL?

Old
09-25-2013, 12:20 PM
Steel Toe

Quote:
What is the story with Artem Rasulov - did he stay in Russia? Where is he playing, KHL?
I remember reading somewhere he was waiting for paper work to get done, visa, etc.
How long this takes I have no clue!

Old
09-25-2013, 08:23 PM
Steel Toe

Quote:
Where is the link to where St.Mike's have stated him leaving ? I can't seem to find any.
Or this a rumor your hearing?
Thx.

Old
09-25-2013, 08:35 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Toe View Post
Where is the link to where St.Mike's have stated him leaving ? I can't seem to find any.
Or this a rumor your hearing?
Thx.
Saw it on twitter. https://twitter.com/AceMcc -> Sept. 21

But I also know people that have confirmed it also

Old
09-26-2013, 09:20 AM
Steel Toe

Quote:
Saw it on twitter. https://twitter.com/AceMcc -> Sept. 21

But I also know people that have confirmed it also
Thx, I see it!

Old
09-26-2013, 08:28 PM
WhoisJohnGalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Toe View Post
I remember reading somewhere he was waiting for paper work to get done, visa, etc.
How long this takes I have no clue!
He is in the Detroit area waiting for his Canada visa to be approved. Don't know why there is a hold-up getting it done but he is definitely in North America. He is one of Igor Larionov's players.

Old
09-27-2013, 09:40 AM
Steel Toe

Jared Walsh

From Steelheads Website:

Jared Walsh Commits to the Steelheads

Mississauga, ON – The Mississauga Steelheads are pleased to announce that their 2nd round pick from the 2012 OHL Priority Selection, Jared Walsh, has committed to the team and has entered into an Ontario Hockey League agreement.

Walsh was selected by Mississauga in the 2nd round, 38th overall at the 2012 OHL Priority Selection. The 5’11”, 175 lb defenseman is a native of Toronto and played with the St. Michael’s Buzzers of the Ontario Junior Hockey League. Last season with the Buzzers, Walsh posted 21 points (4 goals, 17 assists) in 29 games, adding 28 penalty minutes.

Steelheads General Manager and Head Coach, James Boyd, is excited to add Walsh’s skill set to the line up. “Jared Walsh is an extremely competitive player with a high level of skill. Our organization is pleased that Jared has decided to continue his development in the OHL with the Steelheads. We are certain that our fans will enjoy watching our team grow together over the course of this season and beyond.”

Walsh shares this excitement, adding “I am excited to join the OHL and further my development with the Mississauga Steelheads organization.” Walsh will be in the lineup when the Steelheads host the Belleville Bulls at the Hershey Centre tonight at 7:30 pm.

The Steelheads welcome Jared and his family to the Mississauga Steelheads organization.

Old
09-28-2013, 10:58 AM
Steel Toe

Bulls game...

I was not at the game last night, but I seen the hi-lights ! Good 2 pts at home .
What are the feed backs from people who saw the game?

Old
09-28-2013, 11:53 AM
WhoisJohnGalt

On the whole it looks like the team has a pretty good collection of players. The new additions look good so far. They are scoring enough goals and don't seem to give up late when they are down.
The one big hole is their PK, just not good at getting the puck out nor tangling up players standing in front of the net. Many of the PP goals they have given up have been from a player on top of the crease. Either they need to fix this fast or stop taking penalties

Old
09-29-2013, 12:10 AM
ProspectHunter

Really good point. The PK especially down near the crease is really weak.

Old
09-30-2013, 01:10 PM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Really good point. The PK especially down near the crease is really weak.
Most of the goals against have been short handed from around the crease. Have to watch those bad penalties. Otherwise the team looks better than I expected. Team needs a few more pieces, but I do like the way some of the young guys are playing. When Cianfrone learns to hit Smosky with good passes we will see much more offense.

Old
09-30-2013, 03:00 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Most of the goals against have been short handed from around the crease. Have to watch those bad penalties. Otherwise the team looks better than I expected. Team needs a few more pieces, but I do like the way some of the young guys are playing. When Cianfrone learns to hit Smosky with good passes we will see much more offense.
Other way around. Smoskowitz is a really strong forward but sometimes he fails to see the ice. It's almost like tunnel vision. He wants to score so much he fails to see the open man. But overall I completely agree.

Last edited by NHL Fanatic: 09-30-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old
09-30-2013, 03:28 PM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Other way around. Smoskowitz is a really strong forward but sometimes he fails to see the ice. It's almost like tunnel vision. He wants to score so much he fails to see the open man. But overall I completely agree.
I think they are both really good but have not yet jelled together. I think over time they will be more successful with Cianfrone doing the passing and Smosky finishing.

Old
09-30-2013, 07:52 PM
NHL Fanatic

Did anyone see the hit Burnside may be suspended for?

Old
09-30-2013, 11:35 PM
Breakwood

Quote:
Did anyone see the hit Burnside may be suspended for?
Burnside pushed Simmons in to the boards to the right of the Belleville goal, after Simmons played the puck out of the area. It wasn't a blatant cross check, but it was a stupid play. He hit him from behind around the extended goal line and Simmons went flying head first into the boards.

The league website still lists him as indefinitely suspended. I wouldn't be surprised if he got a couple more. It wasn't overly vicious, but it is the type of hit that has no place in the game.

Old
10-01-2013, 11:24 AM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakwood View Post
Burnside pushed Simmons in to the boards to the right of the Belleville goal, after Simmons played the puck out of the area. It wasn't a blatant cross check, but it was a stupid play. He hit him from behind around the extended goal line and Simmons went flying head first into the boards.

The league website still lists him as indefinitely suspended. I wouldn't be surprised if he got a couple more. It wasn't overly vicious, but it is the type of hit that has no place in the game.
Simmonds did not play in his last game. his shoulder is bad.

Closed Thread