HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Mississauga Steelheads 2013-14 Season Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-23-2013, 04:19 PM
  #126
ProspectHunter
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 19
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelheads101 View Post
Sorry, I disagree with the Day comment. There were many times in the game Friday where he should have gone D to D and didn't, then got caught ending up turning the puck over. Don't get me wrong, the kid is definitely good, but needs refinement. He's not a forward and needs to learn when and when not to carry the puck and/or jump into the play. His offensive game is good, but needs work on the boards, corners and defensive game. Very fluid skater, but maybe just me, it seemed to be slow getting back and in position.

On another note, did anyone else notice that Boyd didn't play his Captain in the final minute of the game on Friday when they pulled the goalie? What's up with that? Isn't your Captain suppose to be the one who leads in those situations?
Agreed, Day like most of the D need to move the puck more quickly. They are reversing too often and carrying up the ice too far, both are stalling the forwards and killing the attacking momentum. That's pretty obvious to those watching and I'm sure they are working on that in practice. Agreed Day needs to show more urgency on the back check when he turns the puck over, but for a rookie he has a lot going on and it will all come with time.

ProspectHunter is offline  
Old
09-23-2013, 04:47 PM
  #127
superspitfan99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 147
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtowatch View Post
The Captain in this case is a grinder and a hard worker and not a good offensive player. If Boyd chose his best offensive player as his Captain we all know who it would be, he's the guy who pulled the game out on Thursday night and got stoned with the potential game tying goal Friday. Your best player is not always your Captain.
I would agree with you in principle that your Captain is not always your best player, but the decision to put Burnside on instead of Foy IMO was not a good strategic play. I'm just not that impressed with him and would like to see what he can do when he doesn't have 2 top guys always to play with. Can he hold his own?

superspitfan99 is offline  
Old
09-23-2013, 06:33 PM
  #128
Torts
Registered User
 
Torts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,527
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelheads101 View Post
I would agree with you in principle that your Captain is not always your best player, but the decision to put Burnside on instead of Foy IMO was not a good strategic play. I'm just not that impressed with him and would like to see what he can do when he doesn't have 2 top guys always to play with. Can he hold his own?
I'm sorry but in a situation in which we need a goal. Foy will not be on the ice. Not the player he is. Smosky, Cianfrone and Burnside are the 1st line and the line with the most talent. That line needed to be out there and was. Almost scored. Hope just robbed Smosky on that attempt. Would have been a tie game if it wasn't for some luck and timely saves.

It is also just speculation but now with Walsh potentially coming and Cianfrone here now. Think there is any way Joseph Berton can change his mind. On elite prospects it does not seem like he has committed anywhere yet. Could he become an impact play in the O?


Last edited by Torts: 09-23-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Torts is offline  
Old
09-23-2013, 09:59 PM
  #129
chewerjones
Registered User
 
chewerjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,581
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtowatch View Post
The Captain in this case is a grinder and a hard worker and not a good offensive player. If Boyd chose his best offensive player as his Captain we all know who it would be, he's the guy who pulled the game out on Thursday night and got stoned with the potential game tying goal Friday. Your best player is not always your Captain.
He could have picked Smoskovitz, but he knows that he will be gone at the trade deadline. Foy, will almost undeniably be there all year.

chewerjones is offline  
Old
09-24-2013, 10:19 AM
  #130
Luvtowatch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 600
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
He could have picked Smoskovitz, but he knows that he will be gone at the trade deadline. Foy, will almost undeniably be there all year.
I think you may be right.

Luvtowatch is offline  
Old
09-24-2013, 02:47 PM
  #131
ProspectHunter
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 19
vCash: 500
What happened to all the talk that Walsh was going to sign? Was that just a bad rumor or are things just complicated?

ProspectHunter is offline  
Old
09-24-2013, 03:56 PM
  #132
NHL Fanatic
Registered User
 
NHL Fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectHunter View Post
What happened to all the talk that Walsh was going to sign? Was that just a bad rumor or are things just complicated?
I'm under the assumption the contract process is completed or almost completed. The St. Mikes Buzzers have stated that he has left their team to pursue a deal with the Steelheads. He should be suiting up for one if not both of their weekend home games.

NHL Fanatic is offline  
Old
09-24-2013, 04:22 PM
  #133
Crottenham
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 836
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
I'm under the assumption the contract process is completed or almost completed. The St. Mikes Buzzers have stated that he has left their team to pursue a deal with the Steelheads. He should be suiting up for one if not both of their weekend home games.
He did not suit up the other night in the Buzzer's loss which confirms he has left them.

Crottenham is offline  
Old
09-24-2013, 08:02 PM
  #134
superspitfan99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 147
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
He could have picked Smoskovitz, but he knows that he will be gone at the trade deadline. Foy, will almost undeniably be there all year.
Can't disagree there.

superspitfan99 is offline  
Old
09-25-2013, 11:24 AM
  #135
ProspectHunter
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 19
vCash: 500
What is the story with Artem Rasulov - did he stay in Russia? Where is he playing, KHL?

ProspectHunter is offline  
Old
09-25-2013, 12:20 PM
  #136
Steel Toe
Registered User
 
Steel Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Caledon
Country: Canada
Posts: 74
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectHunter View Post
What is the story with Artem Rasulov - did he stay in Russia? Where is he playing, KHL?
I remember reading somewhere he was waiting for paper work to get done, visa, etc.
How long this takes I have no clue!

Steel Toe is offline  
Old
09-25-2013, 08:23 PM
  #137
Steel Toe
Registered User
 
Steel Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Caledon
Country: Canada
Posts: 74
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
I'm under the assumption the contract process is completed or almost completed. The St. Mikes Buzzers have stated that he has left their team to pursue a deal with the Steelheads. He should be suiting up for one if not both of their weekend home games.
Where is the link to where St.Mike's have stated him leaving ? I can't seem to find any.
Or this a rumor your hearing?
Thx.

Steel Toe is offline  
Old
09-25-2013, 08:35 PM
  #138
NHL Fanatic
Registered User
 
NHL Fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Toe View Post
Where is the link to where St.Mike's have stated him leaving ? I can't seem to find any.
Or this a rumor your hearing?
Thx.
Saw it on twitter. https://twitter.com/AceMcc -> Sept. 21

But I also know people that have confirmed it also

NHL Fanatic is offline  
Old
09-26-2013, 09:20 AM
  #139
Steel Toe
Registered User
 
Steel Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Caledon
Country: Canada
Posts: 74
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
Saw it on twitter. https://twitter.com/AceMcc -> Sept. 21

But I also know people that have confirmed it also
Thx, I see it!

Steel Toe is offline  
Old
09-26-2013, 08:28 PM
  #140
WhoisJohnGalt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 39
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Toe View Post
I remember reading somewhere he was waiting for paper work to get done, visa, etc.
How long this takes I have no clue!
He is in the Detroit area waiting for his Canada visa to be approved. Don't know why there is a hold-up getting it done but he is definitely in North America. He is one of Igor Larionov's players.

WhoisJohnGalt is offline  
Old
09-27-2013, 09:40 AM
  #141
Steel Toe
Registered User
 
Steel Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Caledon
Country: Canada
Posts: 74
vCash: 500
Jared Walsh

From Steelheads Website:

Jared Walsh Commits to the Steelheads

Mississauga, ON – The Mississauga Steelheads are pleased to announce that their 2nd round pick from the 2012 OHL Priority Selection, Jared Walsh, has committed to the team and has entered into an Ontario Hockey League agreement.

Walsh was selected by Mississauga in the 2nd round, 38th overall at the 2012 OHL Priority Selection. The 5’11”, 175 lb defenseman is a native of Toronto and played with the St. Michael’s Buzzers of the Ontario Junior Hockey League. Last season with the Buzzers, Walsh posted 21 points (4 goals, 17 assists) in 29 games, adding 28 penalty minutes.

Steelheads General Manager and Head Coach, James Boyd, is excited to add Walsh’s skill set to the line up. “Jared Walsh is an extremely competitive player with a high level of skill. Our organization is pleased that Jared has decided to continue his development in the OHL with the Steelheads. We are certain that our fans will enjoy watching our team grow together over the course of this season and beyond.”

Walsh shares this excitement, adding “I am excited to join the OHL and further my development with the Mississauga Steelheads organization.” Walsh will be in the lineup when the Steelheads host the Belleville Bulls at the Hershey Centre tonight at 7:30 pm.

The Steelheads welcome Jared and his family to the Mississauga Steelheads organization.

Steel Toe is offline  
Old
09-28-2013, 10:58 AM
  #142
Steel Toe
Registered User
 
Steel Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Caledon
Country: Canada
Posts: 74
vCash: 500
Bulls game...

I was not at the game last night, but I seen the hi-lights ! Good 2 pts at home .
What are the feed backs from people who saw the game?

Steel Toe is offline  
Old
09-28-2013, 11:53 AM
  #143
WhoisJohnGalt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 39
vCash: 500
On the whole it looks like the team has a pretty good collection of players. The new additions look good so far. They are scoring enough goals and don't seem to give up late when they are down.
The one big hole is their PK, just not good at getting the puck out nor tangling up players standing in front of the net. Many of the PP goals they have given up have been from a player on top of the crease. Either they need to fix this fast or stop taking penalties

WhoisJohnGalt is offline  
Old
09-29-2013, 12:10 AM
  #144
ProspectHunter
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 19
vCash: 500
Really good point. The PK especially down near the crease is really weak.

ProspectHunter is offline  
Old
09-30-2013, 01:10 PM
  #145
Luvtowatch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 600
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectHunter View Post
Really good point. The PK especially down near the crease is really weak.
Most of the goals against have been short handed from around the crease. Have to watch those bad penalties. Otherwise the team looks better than I expected. Team needs a few more pieces, but I do like the way some of the young guys are playing. When Cianfrone learns to hit Smosky with good passes we will see much more offense.

Luvtowatch is offline  
Old
09-30-2013, 03:00 PM
  #146
NHL Fanatic
Registered User
 
NHL Fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtowatch View Post
Most of the goals against have been short handed from around the crease. Have to watch those bad penalties. Otherwise the team looks better than I expected. Team needs a few more pieces, but I do like the way some of the young guys are playing. When Cianfrone learns to hit Smosky with good passes we will see much more offense.
Other way around. Smoskowitz is a really strong forward but sometimes he fails to see the ice. It's almost like tunnel vision. He wants to score so much he fails to see the open man. But overall I completely agree.


Last edited by NHL Fanatic: 09-30-2013 at 03:07 PM.
NHL Fanatic is offline  
Old
09-30-2013, 03:28 PM
  #147
Luvtowatch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 600
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
Other way around. Smoskowitz is a really strong forward but sometimes he fails to see the ice. It's almost like tunnel vision. He wants to score so much he fails to see the open man. But overall I completely agree.
I think they are both really good but have not yet jelled together. I think over time they will be more successful with Cianfrone doing the passing and Smosky finishing.

Luvtowatch is offline  
Old
09-30-2013, 07:52 PM
  #148
NHL Fanatic
Registered User
 
NHL Fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,638
vCash: 500
Did anyone see the hit Burnside may be suspended for?

NHL Fanatic is offline  
Old
09-30-2013, 11:35 PM
  #149
Breakwood
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 17
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
Did anyone see the hit Burnside may be suspended for?
Burnside pushed Simmons in to the boards to the right of the Belleville goal, after Simmons played the puck out of the area. It wasn't a blatant cross check, but it was a stupid play. He hit him from behind around the extended goal line and Simmons went flying head first into the boards.

The league website still lists him as indefinitely suspended. I wouldn't be surprised if he got a couple more. It wasn't overly vicious, but it is the type of hit that has no place in the game.

Breakwood is offline  
Old
10-01-2013, 11:24 AM
  #150
Luvtowatch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 600
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakwood View Post
Burnside pushed Simmons in to the boards to the right of the Belleville goal, after Simmons played the puck out of the area. It wasn't a blatant cross check, but it was a stupid play. He hit him from behind around the extended goal line and Simmons went flying head first into the boards.

The league website still lists him as indefinitely suspended. I wouldn't be surprised if he got a couple more. It wasn't overly vicious, but it is the type of hit that has no place in the game.
Simmonds did not play in his last game. his shoulder is bad.

Luvtowatch is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:45 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.