HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

This just in .....

Old
11-22-2006, 11:34 PM
donelikedinner

vCash: 500
This just in .....

Nitty makes a big save to save the game ....

donelikedinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2006, 06:18 AM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Just once I'd like to see it.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2006, 07:45 AM
pelts35.com

Personally I'd rather see Richards score a game winning goal.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2006, 09:33 AM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
You know the sad thing is I knew the Sens would get a garbage goal to win it,,,

The team played well and did not get the goaltending to go along with it. It was a fun game to watch though.

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2006, 10:10 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
You know the sad thing is I knew the Sens would get a garbage goal to win it,,,

The team played well and did not get the goaltending to go along with it. It was a fun game to watch though.
The team played well last night? Getting off 26 shots in nearly 65 minutes of gametime is playing well? Take away Hatcher's 6 hits and the Flyers only had 11 hits. I'd hardly call 34 giveaways to 10 takeaways playing well either.

Frankly (no pun intended) whenever my team's goalie stops 31 of 33 shots in regulation I think that the goaltending is pretty darn good as it gives his team a chance to win. Perhaps if this team could score more than 2 goals they would win a few more games.

You do realize that Niittymaki was 2nd star of the game last night, right? What did you want Niittymaki to do, score a goal or two as well?

Old
11-23-2006, 10:22 AM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
The team played well last night? Getting off 26 shots in nearly 65 minutes of gametime is playing well? Take away Hatcher's 6 hits and the Flyers only had 11 hits. I'd hardly call 34 giveaways to 10 takeaways playing well either.

Frankly (no pun intended) whenever my team's goalie stops 31 of 33 shots in regulation I think that the goaltending is pretty darn good as it gives his team a chance to win. Perhaps if this team could score more than 2 goals they would win a few more games.

You do realize that Niittymaki was 2nd star of the game last night, right? What did you want Niittymaki to do, score a goal or two as well?
I want him to make an easy save when the game is on the line !!
Is that too much to ask for ?????? Who cares how good you play if you can't make the save when it counts Emery made the saves when he needed to!! Alot of the Sens shots were typical Flyer shots, easy saves. We deserved to win that game, The 2nd and 3rd goal were stoppable, if you want to give Nitty the benefit of the doubt, that is fine. But we played REAL WELL and deserved to win, but did not get the average save when it was needed, period.

Old
11-23-2006, 10:56 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
I want him to make an easy save when the game is on the line !!
Is that too much to ask for ?????? Who cares how good you play if you can't make the save when it counts Emery made the saves when he needed to!! Alot of the Sens shots were typical Flyer shots, easy saves. We deserved to win that game, The 2nd and 3rd goal were stoppable, if you want to give Nitty the benefit of the doubt, that is fine. But we played REAL WELL and deserved to win, but did not get the average save when it was needed, period.
What game did you watch? The Flyers did not deserve to win the game and did not play "real well". They played a very sloppy defensive game and only scored 2 goals.

The OT goal was unstoppable as the Ottawa forward skated right in front of him when the shot was released. The second goal was a result of Sanderson not clearing the puck and then the defense not picking Alfredsson up who skated right down the middle from the blueline to accept the pass. The first goal was also a result of not clearing the puck.

The fact is that Niittmaki played a very solid game and kept the Flyers anemic offense in the game.

Old
11-23-2006, 11:04 AM
sansan

Quote:
What game did you watch? The Flyers did not deserve to win the game and did not play "real well". They played a very sloppy defensive game and only scored 2 goals.

The OT goal was unstoppable as the Ottawa forward skated right in front of him when the shot was released. The second goal was a result of Sanderson not clearing the puck and then the defense not picking Alfredsson up who skated right down the middle from the blueline to accept the pass. The first goal was also a result of not clearing the puck.

The fact is that Niittmaki played a very solid game and kept the Flyers anemic offense in the game.
Agree on all counts. He was interfered with on that last goal as well by Peter Schaefer. JJ commented on it, but obviously no call and really nothing they could do about it. Also, if Nedved had covered the man coming late (Redden), that shot doesn't even happen.

sansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2006, 11:15 AM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansan View Post
Agree on all counts. He was interfered with on that last goal as well by Peter Schaefer. JJ commented on it, but obviously no call and really nothing they could do about it. Also, if Nedved had covered the man coming late (Redden), that shot doesn't even happen.
But you guys are missing my point, how many times in previous years when we were playing good did we run into a hot goalie who stole the game from us, no matter how good we played. We did play good enough to win last night, I like Nitty alot, but I remeber goalies stopping way harder shots than those last 2 that went in to steal games vs us.

Can you guys honestly say you feel comfortable and not nervous on most shots vs Nitty ???

Old
11-23-2006, 11:19 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
But you guys are missing my point, how many times in previous years when we were playing good did we run into a hot goalie who stole the game from us, no matter how good we played. We did play good enough to win last night, I like Nitty alot, but I remeber goalies stopping way harder shots than those last 2 that went in to steal games vs us.

Can you guys honestly say you feel comfortable and not nervous on most shots vs Nitty ???
I guess I just don't agree with you that the Flyers played well last night. I don't think that they did. You aren't going to win a lot of games only scoring 2 goals per night.

Old
11-23-2006, 11:23 AM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
I guess I just don't agree with you that the Flyers played well last night. I don't think that they did. You aren't going to win a lot of games only scoring 2 goals per night.
I thought they played better than the norm. I found myself quite excited watching a game for the 1st time in awhile.(this could be clouding my judgement) Whether Nitty should have stopped the goals in question is debateable. My problem is I feel like when Esche was in net right now, and that is nervous on all shots. I did not feel that way before with Nitty.

Old
11-23-2006, 11:42 AM
sansan

Quote:
I thought they played better than the norm. I found myself quite excited watching a game for the 1st time in awhile.(this could be clouding my judgement) Whether Nitty should have stopped the goals in question is debateable. My problem is I feel like when Esche was in net right now, and that is nervous on all shots. I did not feel that way before with Nitty.
You probably feel that way b/c the flyers give up so many quality scoring chances to highly skilled players like Crosby and Alfredsson. They're going to score on those chances 9 times out of 10, doesn't matter who the goalie is. Sometimes you have to give credit to the shooter for being able to finish.

The reason why the flyers make other goalies look "hot" is because they don't take high percentage shots and are just not capitalizing on the few quality scoring chances (i.e. odd man rushes) that they get. Yesterday they had 3 or 4 high quality scoring chances that they just couldn't bury (confidence might be a factor there). They don't make other goalies make tough saves. It's just the way things are right now and they're going to have to ride it out.

They definitely looked better on D last night but they were by no means perfect. I thought it was a better game, relatively speaking, and that's a good sign. They still have to put all the pieces together offensively and keep working on being defensively responsible.

sansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2006, 11:59 AM
BringBackStevens

for the record i think they played well

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2006, 12:30 PM
donelikedinner

i think this kid should get a shot, he seems to cover the angles as well as nitty

donelikedinner is offline   Reply With Quote