HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

High/Low Expectations per player?

Old
09-24-2013, 01:31 PM
Strat

vCash: 500
High/Low Expectations per player?

What are your high and low expectations for this season?

High ;

- Paccioretty (looks fantastic out there)
- Subban (follow-up to a great season - not as great but still good)
- Desharnais (he knows he sucked last season and looks good in pre-season)
- Gallagher (won't have as great a season, but his determination will lead him to a good season still)
- Price (I think his ego took a beating in the last stretch of the season and the Playoffs - he'll hopefully bounce back)

Low ;

- Galchenyuk (has done nothing to impress me so far)
- Moen (he knows he sucked last year, but I think he's about done)
- Eller (didn't show any jump so far, IMO)

Strat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 02:06 PM
mattyboy
What Up With That?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strat View Post
What are your high and low expectations for this season?

High ;

- Paccioretty (looks fantastic out there)
- Subban (follow-up to a great season - not as great but still good)
- Desharnais (he knows he sucked last season and looks good in pre-season)
- Gallagher (won't have as great a season, but his determination will lead him to a good season still)
- Price (I think his ego took a beating in the last stretch of the season and the Playoffs - he'll hopefully bounce back)

Low ;

- Moen (he knows he sucked last year, but I think he's about done)
- Eller (didn't show any jump so far, IMO)

How did Galchenyuk not impress you? Kid is pure skill.

mattyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 02:33 PM
Strat

Not in pre-season. Seems to coast or struggle to me.

Of course, I'm *hoping* to be proven wrong, but I don't think he'll have a great season.

What are *your* high/low expectations, though?

Old
09-24-2013, 02:34 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyboy View Post
Time honored HFhabs tradition of projecting the entire season of a player based on pre-season. Welcome aboard.

overlords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 02:36 PM
FrontierPsyCHiatrist*
Master Pleks

High expectations:

-Briere, I think (or hope) he can do what Cammy did during his first season as a Habs.
-Subban, he's great at everything, an average season would be a shame, so I expect a lot from him.
-Price, the first step in the right direction.
-Galchenyuk, 3rd line ice time: regress / top 6 ice time: Progress indeed. He's solid enough to play with Pleckanec.
-Nygren: I don't know a lot about him but his resume makes me believe he will play for us this year

Low expectations:

-Emelin: «He doesn't look in great shape» -Gaston Therrien. And Emelin was also sloppy a lot of times last year.
-Gionta: At this point, I just want him to be a consistant leader, I hope that's not to much to ask.

I don't have any expections for the rest of the team

FrontierPsyCHiatrist* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 02:40 PM
FrontierPsyCHiatrist*
Master Pleks

Quote:

Low ;

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyboy View Post
Chucky has been quiet during pre season, but he was great at doing little things. He said that he wanted to protect and control the puck more, but he didn't do any of that so far, so I understand why some of us aren't impressed with him. But of course, it's only a matter of time.

FrontierPsyCHiatrist* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 02:42 PM
disturbedraven
Lets rock

Youppi: He needs to start pulling his weight before we trade him and DD for Crosby and a 1st.

disturbedraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 02:43 PM
habsfanatics

High

Subban (Won the Norris, I expect him to continue improving, his possession stats will still be off the charts and his pp numbers good, but his ES numbers will bounce back and he'll make no mistake he's on equal footing with Karlsson)

Patches (Was on pace for 60-70 points last year and everyone thought he was struggling, players that put up ppg while not looking particularly good is a good problem to have imo.

Eller (I think he'll emerge as the full-time number 2 center)

Pleks (same injury free 2 way beast with 50-60 points he always is)

Gally ( Kid has too much skill to not succeed)

Low

Gallagher (Love the kid, I think he overachieved last year and his performance is unsustainable)

Bourque (Way inconsistent and just not that great a player)

Briere ( I think he's as done as Gomez was)

White (Think the guy has an IQ under 100)

Prust (will always be a fan favorite, injuries scare me)

Last edited by habsfanatics: 09-24-2013 at 03:17 PM.
habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 03:09 PM
Strat

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Time honored HFhabs tradition of projecting the entire season of a player based on pre-season. Welcome aboard.
Time-honored tradition to bash somebody for having an opinion... on a public forum.

Stay classy, buddy.

Old
09-24-2013, 03:12 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Time-honored tradition to bash somebody for having an opinion... on a public forum.

Stay classy, buddy.
Bashing = stating your actions?

Okey dokey.

Old
09-24-2013, 03:14 PM
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
High

Subban (Won the Norris, I expect him to continue improving, his possession stats will still be off the charts and his pp numbers good, but his ES numbers will bounce back and he'll make no mistake he's on equal footing with Karlsson)

Patches (Was on pace for 60-70 points last year and everyone thought he was struggling, players that put up ppg while not looking particularly good is a good problem to have imo.

Eller (I think he'll emerge as the full-time number 2 center)

Pleks (same injury free 2 way beast with 50-60 points he always is)

Gally ( Kid has too much skill to not succeed)

Low

Gallagher (Love the kid, I think he overachieved last year and his performance is unsustainable)

Bourque (Way inconsistent and just not that great a player)

Briere ( I think he's as done as Gomez was)

White (Think the guys has an IQ under 100)

Prust (will always be a fan favorite, injuries scare me)
remind me of staying away from you from now on.

Alexdaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 03:17 PM
Lebowski
In Price We Trust

I can see why some people are hesitant on Galchenyuk. I do feel the same way at times.

He often seems "shy" on the ice. It's not that he doesn't have the skills or the work ethic to impose himself, it's just that he looks scared at times. That's probably what's going to hold him back from a possible breakout season this year, as opposed to his now considered "rival" Yakupov, who may not have quite the same level of smarts as Chucky, but is always going all-out when he's on the ice.

Might have something to do with self-confidence, but I definitely wouldn't hold it against Galchenyuk at this point in time. As a 20 years old guy, I know I'd probably be scared ****less going into the Bell center as a teenager knowing there's 21 273 people in the stands that expect nothing but greatness out of me night after night.

The day Galchneyuk gains in confidence and isn't afraid to give it all every shift, ą la Gallagher, he should be one of the best player in the league.

Lebowski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 03:18 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
remind me of staying away from you from now on.
Huh??

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 03:19 PM
Strat

Quote:
Bashing = stating your actions?

Okey dokey.
Obviously, there's subtext to your post. Don't try to get around that by insulting my intelligence.

There are plenty of times when a player didn't look so great in pre-season and (guess what?) ended up stinking the joint for the whole season. Are there also plenty of examples of players who don't do much in pre-season and excel in the regular season? Absolutely. But taking the accumulation of a performance in pre-season and saying that I'm not expecting as much as last season based on a player's play so far in -preseason isn't so far-fetched.

And this will be my last attempt to have a civilized discussion with you. Or is it utterly impossible for you to post without the attitude?

Old
09-24-2013, 03:21 PM
Strat

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Huh??
Don't you know? It's apparently impossible for users to respectfully disagree with somebody around here, moderator included.

Old
09-24-2013, 03:21 PM
mattyboy
What Up With That?

Quote:
where in my comment does my assessment of Galchenyuk state my opinion was based on this years pre-season exactly?
It's common knowledge. Turn on a TV.

Old
09-24-2013, 03:50 PM
mattyboy
What Up With That?

anywho,
High Expectations:
Pacioretty-Hes a stud will continue to lead in points
Subban-just won the norris, will challenge for it again
Eller-30 pts in 48 games, and can only improve from this
Galchenyuk-untapped elite talent just waiting to breakout
Gallagher-workhorse, gonna pop in hopefully 25+goals

Low:
Gionta-constantly injuring a limb year after year.
Prust-first full season with the habs, gonna be injured i believe with the way he plays.
Markov-this one im on the fence, elite dman but hes on the back-9.
Plekanec-as much as i love Pleks, hes never given any elite wingers to really show how he can shine offensively.

Old
09-24-2013, 03:52 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Obviously, there's subtext to your post. Don't try to get around that by insulting my intelligence.

There are plenty of times when a player didn't look so great in pre-season and (guess what?) ended up stinking the joint for the whole season. Are there also plenty of examples of players who don't do much in pre-season and excel in the regular season? Absolutely. But taking the accumulation of a performance in pre-season and saying that I'm not expecting as much as last season based on a player's play so far in -preseason isn't so far-fetched.

And this will be my last attempt to have a civilized discussion with you. Or is it utterly impossible for you to post without the attitude?
Subtext, you don't say?

The subtext was that it's not an incredibly smart thing to do. It is exactly what you say it isn't, ie: far fetched. Anybody can take a small sample size of regular season and extrapolate it, but most people know better than to do so. Taking an even smaller sample size during pre-season? Well, come on. This doesn't need explaining. It is already a pretty common joke on this board. Didn't mean for your jimmies to attain final rustled form.

That's not to say that I disagree with projecting a season based on last year's results, potential line pairings, usage, TOI etc. Just that projecting based on 2-3 pre-season games is asinine at best.

And being a moderator doesn't mean you can't have a personality. My name isn't Crimson Skorpion.

cheers, I did enjoy the little meme war.

Old
09-24-2013, 05:48 PM
Strat

I typed a post previously, but it got lost when I submitted it and the HFboards servers seemed to be experiencing some issues. Oh well...

Personality shouldn't be synonymous with being abrasive and confrontational. You've demonstrated that even though you injected a bit of what you refer to as your "personality" in your last post that it is possible for you to entertain the thought of civil discourse, to a degree.

Whether it's a common joke or not, there are loads of examples of players whose performance in pre-season were simply an indication of how their season turned out to be... just as there are examples of players who find the extra gear once the real season begins. I'm not new to hockey and am well aware of that. However, from what I've seen from Galchenyuk, I'm not overly impressed nor do I believe he will have a better season than he had last year. Of course, I hope I'm wrong and will be happy to be proven wrong, but those are my expectations and that's what this particular thread is all about ; pure speculation. You're free to disagree, but dismissing my opinion so blatantly was poor form at best. It's the pre-season and there isn't much to discuss as can be quickly seen, so impressions on what we've seen so far seemed like a logical topic to me.

Lastly, remember that there's always the option to NOT comment on somebody else's post. This isn't aimed at you specifically, but more of a general comment. It seems that this is something that people generally don't think of... but there's no inherent need to post, especially if all that will be submitted will contribute nothing (positive) to the conversation. If people watch TV and hate what's on the channel, they can either yell at the TV or... change the channel. That's what I tend to do instead of mocking people whose opinion I don't share.

Food for thought.

And yes, that meme exchange was pretty funny.

Old
09-24-2013, 06:55 PM
Bloumeister
Live long & prosper

I had high expectations for this thread.

Then I read it.

Bloumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 08:48 PM
Dekar

Quote:
Originally Posted by disturbedraven View Post
Youppi: He needs to start pulling his weight before we trade him and DD for Crosby and a 1st.
Youppi is mailing it in until the Expos come back to town, which will hopefully be soon so we can get rid of that oversized children's tennis ball.

Dekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 09:02 PM
zzoo

High expectation:
- Subban
- Eller
- Galchenyuk

Low expectation:
- Markov
- Prust