HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Sharpening question

Old
11-22-2006, 02:35 PM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

vCash: 500
Sharpening question

I'm an intermediate skater. For some time I had my blades at 1/2 and after awhile it began to feel and little too "grippy" I guess. Then I have had them sharpened at 5/8 which is the next above 1/2 correct? The first few times they felt like what I was going for and now the last two they just don't feel right almost lilke they haven't been sharpened. The guy asked me last time why I would want them sharpened at 5/8 if I actually played, he mentioned a lot of refs do the 5/8. I guess what I'm asking is 5/8 the next step in the sharpening level after 1/2? If it is then maybe I should be looking at t blades for a more consistent sharpen? Don't know, but I'm a little frustrated at the moment. Thanks

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2006, 11:42 AM
MikeD

Are you checking the blades for even edges etc etc? There is more to the grind than just what ROH. I always suggest a person find a grinder they like and make every effort to have the same person repeating your grinds.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2006, 12:56 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Galvin View Post
I'm an intermediate skater. For some time I had my blades at 1/2 and after awhile it began to feel and little too "grippy" I guess. Then I have had them sharpened at 5/8 which is the next above 1/2 correct? The first few times they felt like what I was going for and now the last two they just don't feel right almost lilke they haven't been sharpened. The guy asked me last time why I would want them sharpened at 5/8 if I actually played, he mentioned a lot of refs do the 5/8. I guess what I'm asking is 5/8 the next step in the sharpening level after 1/2? If it is then maybe I should be looking at t blades for a more consistent sharpen? Don't know, but I'm a little frustrated at the moment. Thanks

A lot of players also use 5/8. Paul Coffey used an even shallower hollow and he did pretty well.

I found that when I was using 5/8 i needed to dig in more. Also, they felt like they lost their edges quicker (luckily I worked in the shop and was able to sharpen them whenever I needed).

Were you skating on the same ice each time? If the ice is very hard it can be a little more difficult using 5/8.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2006, 02:20 PM
hexrae

Goalies typically do 5/8, which isn't as sharp as 1/2. So your moving in the right direction if you're looking for something less "grippy".

hexrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2006, 05:47 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexrae View Post
Goalies typically do 5/8, which isn't as sharp as 1/2. So your moving in the right direction if you're looking for something less "grippy".
Most shops have the wheel set at 1 for a goalie skate.

Old
11-23-2006, 06:00 PM
Jacob

9/16ths would be in between 1/2 and 5/8ths.

That's what I'm currently at.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2006, 09:35 PM
sc37

vCash: 50
Yeah I tell them to give me either 5/8 or 9/16. It might just be the ice...sometimes it's soft ice and I feel like I'm sliding a bit more.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2006, 09:12 AM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Are you checking the blades for even edges etc etc? There is more to the grind than just what ROH. I always suggest a person find a grinder they like and make every effort to have the same person repeating your grinds.
Checked my edges yesterday. They seemed ok. Also, I don't really have an choice of who I have grind. The place I go to is almost an hour away and about the only option I have. The other place where I used to get it done gave me no edge on either side the last time Should have seen me go out the first time... I can laugh now,but was I pissed.

Old
11-24-2006, 09:13 AM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
A lot of players also use 5/8. Paul Coffey used an even shallower hollow and he did pretty well.

I found that when I was using 5/8 i needed to dig in more. Also, they felt like they lost their edges quicker (luckily I worked in the shop and was able to sharpen them whenever I needed).

Were you skating on the same ice each time? If the ice is very hard it can be a little more difficult using 5/8.
Playing at about 3 or 4 different rinks. One place is pretty soft and the other goes to the hard extreme which I played yesterday morning. I have noticed that the edge seems to go a little quicker.. Thanks

Old
11-24-2006, 09:15 AM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
9/16ths would be in between 1/2 and 5/8ths.

That's what I'm currently at.
Going to have to give that a try. Thanks

Old
11-24-2006, 11:18 AM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Playing at about 3 or 4 different rinks. One place is pretty soft and the other goes to the hard extreme which I played yesterday morning. I have noticed that the edge seems to go a little quicker.. Thanks

The harder the ice is, the less you will dig in. Keep trying, you'll find a happy medium.

Old
11-24-2006, 11:27 AM
MikeD

A lot of todays goalies are using a combination grind. A 7/16th at the heal and toe with a 1/2" ROH along the flat. I still use the old fashioned 1" ROH. When searching for your "happy" grind it is better to start with a larger ROH and move down in 1/8" increments. WHen you hit a grind you DONT like move back up to the previous grind you did. Going up in size instead of down costs you lots of extra blade loss for each regrind.

A decent site for a skate sharpening 101 : http://noicingsports.com/skate_sharpening_radius.html

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2006, 11:58 AM
sc37

There's some place where you can send in your blades and have them sharpened and sent back to you if the only good place is an hour away. I know of a few people on these boards that do that...the place eludes my memory right now though. They do it cause they hate T-Blades.

Old
11-24-2006, 12:02 PM
VisionQuest*

Modern goaltenders use 1/2. Butterfly pushes etc require it. I always run 1/2" now. Probably the most beneficial change Ive made to my game is changing to 1/2"

I run my player skates at 3/4" and love it.

VisionQuest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2006, 04:37 PM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc37 View Post
There's some place where you can send in your blades and have them sharpened and sent back to you if the only good place is an hour away. I know of a few people on these boards that do that...the place eludes my memory right now though. They do it cause they hate T-Blades.
Man, not sure how good that would work considering I skate about 3 - 4 times a week.

Old
11-25-2006, 04:06 PM
sc37

Quote:
Man, not sure how good that would work considering I skate about 3 - 4 times a week.
Best way to do it is to get another pair of blades for your skates. If you have Tuuks, kinda screw since you need a Tuuk wrench to get them off and it's a pain.

Kinda odd no good sharpenings in Clevland...where all the good OH hockey players come from too!

Old
11-25-2006, 08:10 PM
Hugh Madbrough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc37 View Post
http://www.noicingsports.com/

Hugh Madbrough is online now   Reply With Quote